Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Roar posted:

"We spoke with retired Let’s Player The Speeding Joker, who used to do informative Let’s Plays, about why he retired in the face of giants like SuperButterflyKiss."

Retired Let's Player.

Do we get to collect pension after sixty-five hundred videos on youtube or something

p4rgaming is basically The Onion for gaming but not nearly as funny. Maybe the funnyordie or collegehumor for gaming news.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

The ones about the penny arcade report shutting down and the fee for letting brazilians play online are solid gold, the rest can be pitched

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

p4rgaming is basically The Onion for gaming but not nearly as funny. Maybe the funnyordie or collegehumor for gaming news.

The best joke is usually in the weekly poll.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I dont know if you read the youtube comments on your dark souls videos slowbeef, but the main reason resistance is completely poo poo is that the boost is so tiny, the main boost you can get to your status resists come from armor and equipment. You're really terrified of curse, as you should be. But check out your equipment, some armor sets actually should have quite a bit of resistance against curse!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

I dont know if you read the youtube comments on your dark souls videos slowbeef, but the main reason resistance is completely poo poo is that the boost is so tiny, the main boost you can get to your status resists come from armor and equipment. You're really terrified of curse, as you should be. But check out your equipment, some armor sets actually should have quite a bit of resistance against curse!

That's not the only reason. The defense boost that resistance contributes to is also contributed to by liquid humanity, and it has diminishing returns. This doesn't mean much for new players who won't have much liquid, but each point of liquid humanity has the same effect as a point of resistance (while also boosting other things Res does not). If you have 99 liquid then having 99 Res gives you a whopping four defense points.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Genocyber posted:

That's not the only reason. The defense boost that resistance contributes to is also contributed to by liquid humanity, and it has diminishing returns. This doesn't mean much for new players who won't have much liquid, but each point of liquid humanity has the same effect as a point of resistance (while also boosting other things Res does not). If you have 99 liquid then having 99 Res gives you a whopping four defense points.

You're half right. The defense boost granted by liquid humanity is the same defense boost gained by leveling up - one liquid humanity is the equivalent of spending a stat point anywhere else, and resistance applies both the resistance boost and the normal level up boost. With points in resistance, you'll hit the point of diminishing returns faster, but iirc resistance gives you something (poison resist, maybe?) that you don't get through normal level ups.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Slowbeef posted:

You're totally "allowed" to retsupurae it if you like.

edit: Wait, no, I did! In Retsutalk 49 with Woolie. Either way, the stuff I really like and am proud of, I'd post here. YouTube, I tend to try stuff out.

RoomBreak sucks because it was a really funny stream, but the video itself was really bad. It sucked, but I made a judgment call. I've been meaning to see if I can revisit it and "fix" things by replaying the game locally, but Dark Souls.

RoomBreak was perfectly watchable, I just found it funny when you started reading out text.

Unrelatedly, do you expect to do any of the other King's Quest longplays?

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Olesh posted:

You're half right. The defense boost granted by liquid humanity is the same defense boost gained by leveling up - one liquid humanity is the equivalent of spending a stat point anywhere else, and resistance applies both the resistance boost and the normal level up boost. With points in resistance, you'll hit the point of diminishing returns faster, but iirc resistance gives you something (poison resist, maybe?) that you don't get through normal level ups.

In all fairness, it gets pretty pointless to get Resistance just for poison resists though. Especially with purple moss as readily available as it is, and the Thief's set available just before Blighttown anyway.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

PAMaster posted:

In all fairness, it gets pretty pointless to get Resistance just for poison resists though. Especially with purple moss as readily available as it is, and the Thief's set available just before Blighttown anyway.

You're 100% right, resistance is worthless. Never spend points on it. I just thought it might be interesting for people to know that liquid humanity = level ups in terms of how it affects your defenses passively.

PAMaster
Mar 2, 2013

Tiger Bard Apprentice

Olesh posted:

You're 100% right, resistance is worthless. Never spend points on it. I just thought it might be interesting for people to know that liquid humanity = level ups in terms of how it affects your defenses passively.

Truth time? I had absolutely no idea that it worked that way. But then I run 40 Dex 28 Str Cursed Greatsword characters when I can, so ehhhhh.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMQSLT7e9Q8

I find it weird that the thing that irritates me about this vid is his hamfisted editing. Its like people think silence is some cardinal sin and you have to be constantly talking, despite how hideously unnatural it sounds and looks through the webcam.

And yet, 100k subs. I don't understand.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Highwang posted:

Quality =/= Popularity

Video is designed to appeal to younger market who comprise most of the YouTube user base. This honestly isn't too complicated and I'd much rather see underrated and good things posted rather than bad stuff the logistics of which have been discussed to their fullest.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Quality =/= Popularity

Video is designed to appeal to younger market who comprise most of the YouTube user base. This honestly isn't too complicated and I'd much rather see underrated and good things posted rather than bad stuff the logistics of which have been discussed to their fullest.

The thread's for both things, and unfortunately it's easier to find poo poo than gold given what YouTube's all about.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

I've been watching a lot of Lobos Jr lately he really only runs gimmick or hacked run of Dark Souls but he really is pretty fun to watch and I'll be damned if he isnt really really great at Dark Souls.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1B_JfwK3vkhm7VmB-3X_hA

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
So if i understand this thread is for showing good or bad Youtube LPs.
So let's look at a rare gem or two in a channel called SGBLikestoplay.

1. Megaman 1.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHLhcULPCm0yJef1LMQCkwCGsT_eGKFDr

2. Megaman 2.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHLhcULPCm0w5M9-PAIJCHdVNbRPLX_lG

These are just when he's alone. Often Matt and Eliot are with him. Those videos can be described as a poor man's Game Grumps.
Jon also has a review channel and is a member of Brainscratch Commentaries. Another let's play-ish group.

Falaflame
Dec 27, 2012

Highwang posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMQSLT7e9Q8

I find it weird that the thing that irritates me about this vid is his hamfisted editing. Its like people think silence is some cardinal sin and you have to be constantly talking, despite how hideously unnatural it sounds and looks through the webcam.

If it makes you feel any better, he was RP'd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EdXHMgeoVs

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
I found this video. And I know it isn't about LP but it encapsulates the intent that I think this forum is trying to put forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fjE1A80w2s

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
This guy does the first 100% completion run of Flappy Bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-nzHy2DdU

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

error supply posted:

This guy does the first 100% completion run of Flappy Bird.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gD-nzHy2DdU

If all "Let's Play" camcorder videos were like this, I'd much prefer them over any recording software.

Major_JF posted:

....this video encapsulates the intent that I think this forum is trying to put forth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fjE1A80w2s

Really? An 8+ minute video, just to explain needing balance between quality and quantity? Actually yeah, I'd say that pretty much matches this place to a T for the most part. Snazzy find! (Also, don't forget to follow him on Twitter, Instagram, and buy a Ve T-shirt!.....at least he didn't shill for likes, comments, and subscriptions though yes????)

BMS fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 8, 2014

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BMS posted:

]Really? An 8+ minute video, just to explain needing balance between quality and quantity? Actually yeah, I'd say that pretty much matches this place to a T for the most part. Snazzy find! (Also, don't forget to follow him on Twitter, Instagram, and buy a Ve T-shirt!.....at least he didn't shill for likes, comments, and subscriptions though yes????)

Personally this sort of thing doesn't bother me at all when it's people who produce their own content. I mean this is his alt-channel for people who really give a drat about what he thinks about random poo poo, so he's totally justified to give his thoughts about random poo poo. He makes some fairly relevant points too, considering how often people try to get noticed on YouTube through sheer quantity.

I'm sorry if people daring to try to monetize their YouTube channels makes you mad. Certainly hasn't decreased my affection for the stuff the Green brothers put out, for instance.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Personally this sort of thing doesn't bother me at all when it's people who produce their own content. I mean this is his alt-channel for people who really give a drat about what he thinks about random poo poo, so he's totally justified to give his thoughts about random poo poo. He makes some fairly relevant points too, considering how often people try to get noticed on YouTube through sheer quantity.

I'm sorry if people daring to try to monetize their YouTube channels makes you mad. Certainly hasn't decreased my affection for the stuff the Green brothers put out, for instance.

Not at all. That wasn't meant as a knock against the fellow that made the video either, as you said he can make whatever he sees fit. The point I was trying to make, albeit sarcastically, was that that video DOES encapsulate this forum to an extent. Overly long conversations about poo poo that:

A). Has been discussed to death before.
B). Doesn't amount to jack squat.

I mean let's face it. Let's Play is just a bunch of nerds playing video games for the internet. Nerds. Video games. Internet. I'd say that makes it rank pretty low on the totem pole as far as things go to have a serious, long and drawn out discussion over. When Let's Play became more than, as slowbeef stated waaaaay back when, a "pseudo-hobby", it became too serious for what it was.

That's all I meant.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

BMS posted:

Not at all. That wasn't meant as a knock against the fellow that made the video either, as you said he can make whatever he sees fit. The point I was trying to make, albeit sarcastically, was that that video DOES encapsulate this forum to an extent. Overly long conversations about poo poo that:

A). Has been discussed to death before.
B). Doesn't amount to jack squat.

I mean let's face it. Let's Play is just a bunch of nerds playing video games for the internet. Nerds. Video games. Internet. I'd say that makes it rank pretty low on the totem pole as far as things go to have a serious, long and drawn out discussion over. When Let's Play became more than, as slowbeef stated waaaaay back when, a "pseudo-hobby", it became too serious for what it was.

That's all I meant.

Fair enough, sorry I misunderstood.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don't mind the whole "Like and subscribe" at the end of a video deal, since most people do it in at least a few videos. The only time when it gets annoying to me is when they either overdo it asking several times a video, blaming the fans for not getting enough likes, or doing a "This needs X amount of likes/views or I'm stopping this series" thing.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

bobjr posted:

I don't mind the whole "Like and subscribe" at the end of a video deal, since most people do it in at least a few videos. The only time when it gets annoying to me is when they either overdo it asking several times a video, blaming the fans for not getting enough likes, or doing a "This needs X amount of likes/views or I'm stopping this series" thing.

Don't forget that all-important annotation reminding you to like and favorite that stays there FOR THE ENTIRE VIDEO.

Also some friends and I have been hanging out and playing through all the Resident Evil games just for fun. Tonight, the topic of let's play came up, and they were talking about some of what they watch. I mentioned something I did, and a friend told me that my let's plays were boring and that I had to "create a character" to act as while I play games because being funny is the most important part of let's plays. I think I need new friends.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I just found out this really weird kid who used to go to my high school does YT LP's and has 50k subs. Other than linking his social media pages in the description and saying "like and subscribe" as fast as the micro machines guy it was pretty surprising. I fully expected annotations and screaming from this guy.
~trigger warning: he reads text boxes~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOxfOsF1CDY

(also this isn't very noteworthy or worth watching, really, just weird as hell to find a guy you know in real life doing LP's.)

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mortimer posted:

I just found out this really weird kid who used to go to my high school does YT LP's and has 50k subs.

(also this isn't very noteworthy or worth watching, really, just weird as hell to find a guy you know in real life doing LP's.)

Quick, get in touch with him and tell him you feel bad about thinking he was weird and to make up for it you'd love to do a "Co-Op" Mario Party LP with him.

C'mon, if we all work together, we CAN make the Let's Play forum the new, hip version of classmates.com!

Don't do this.

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
I can't remember who exactly (it might be TotalBiscuit) but there's one YouTube person I know who ends their video with "If you enjoyed this video, please like and subscribe, if you felt it was lacking, please leave a comment telling me how I can improve."

I can totally get behind that poo poo. Considering that dislikes and negative comments (bafflingly) give you the same amount of exposure on YouTube, the least you can do there is give your viewers an incentive to help you improve. It shows that you give a poo poo and don't need constant positive reinforcement.

On this note, stop watching DSP. Even ironically. Watch all the mirrors put up by that one guy, and you'll get your fix of abyss-gazing without putting undeserving food on Phil's table.

#PhilBurnegative

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Mr DJB posted:

On this note, stop watching DSP. Even ironically. Watch all the mirrors put up by that one guy, and you'll get your fix of abyss-gazing without putting undeserving food on Phil's table.

#PhilBurnegative

I don't think anyone who keeps up with those mirrors actually goes through his channel, to be honest.

dizaero
Jan 30, 2012

CORRECT ANSWER
YUO ARE SMART
I'm proud to be DSP free!

I saw a couple of his things through mirrors, and that was plenty. I don't think its safe or smart to be clicking your cursor where DSP uploads.

WitherSnow
Dec 7, 2013
I have never watched a DSP video. Even if i did it wouldn't do anything.
On the subject of likes i couldn't care. Comments are more valuable to me than a like.

Likes in a sense are robots, souless automatons that are just there. Comments are voice. They show the direct thoughts of people.
When i end a video i try to end it with "If you were entertained comment, if you wern't criticize."

That's my thoughts on the subject.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
What are the best Silent Hill LPs offsite or onsite? Voice commentary or subtitles are both fine as long as the atmosphere is semi-preserved. I just realized I've seen LPs of most of the newer games, but I haven't seen any of the original 4.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Maremidon posted:

What are the best Silent Hill LPs offsite or onsite? Voice commentary or subtitles are both fine as long as the atmosphere is semi-preserved. I just realized I've seen LPs of most of the newer games, but I haven't seen any of the original 4.

As far as on-site LP's go, I'd highly recommend VoidBurger & Niggurath's LP's. Link to the Master List. While I've only watched VoidBurger's SH1, and Niggurath's SH2 LP, they've done a good portion of the rest of the series as well. Definitely worth a look.

I can't exactly recommend any off-site LP's however, as I haven't really watched any for any length of time. The last one I watched, (part of), was in 2008 from Vega...there's more to his name but damned if I can remember. Regardless, wasn't impressed with it. Plus, I think he was RP'd for it at somepoint as well if memory serves.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Maremidon posted:

The Silent Hill LPs from Two Best Friends Play is actually really good, though I think they only did the awful games. Their vids inspired me to try out the originals though, and I'm really glad I did.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Highwang posted:

The Silent Hill LPs from Two Best Friends Play is actually really good, though I think they only did the awful games. Their vids inspired me to try out the originals though, and I'm really glad I did.

Eh, I think they are good LPs, but they're really not preserving any atmosphere - it's more relentless mockery of the crappy games with some insights as to why the game is crap every once in a while, and some axe-throwing mixed in. Same thing with the blind SH LPs some dudes (forgot the game of the group, same one that did the 20 Years of Mario) did, it's more personality-focused.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Dias posted:

Eh, I think they are good LPs, but they're really not preserving any atmosphere - it's more relentless mockery of the crappy games with some insights as to why the game is crap every once in a while, and some axe-throwing mixed in. Same thing with the blind SH LPs some dudes (forgot the game of the group, same one that did the 20 Years of Mario) did, it's more personality-focused.

There was quite a bit of discussion about the old SH games in those LPs, especially when it comes to level design and discussion of plot coherence. Pat goes off on multiple tangents about how the plot elements of Homecoming are bullshit and dont follow the stuff from SH1 at all.

They do kinda destroy the atmosphere of the game, but they make up for it by having good discussion about game design and the like.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I would recommend Kikoskia. A fairly inoffensive YouTube LPer who focuses a lot on older games. Doesn't try to be wacky or anything. Just some of those good old "background noise" style of LP that you sometimes want to have going on.

As an example, here's Simon the Sorcerer - Part 2.

I also really enjoy following the limitless failings of DSP, but in the process, it came to my attention that I apparently live near him. I don't think I can accurately describe how a revelation like that feels, but it's not a good feeling.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Jamesman posted:

I also really enjoy following the limitless failings of DSP, but in the process, it came to my attention that I apparently live near him. I don't think I can accurately describe how a revelation like that feels, but it's not a good feeling.

You know what you must now do. You must rid the world of DSP forever.

Find out where he lives.

And put a minor obstacle in front of his house.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Maremidon posted:

You've probably seen it already since it's a relatively newer game, but I'd have to say that Kamoc's LP of Homecoming is far and away the best one I've seen.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Mr DJB posted:

I can't remember who exactly (it might be TotalBiscuit) but there's one YouTube person I know who ends their video with "If you enjoyed this video, please like and subscribe, if you felt it was lacking, please leave a comment telling me how I can improve."

I can totally get behind that poo poo.

I can dig that. Never fault anybody for asking for some feedback to help improve, be it positive or negative. It just gets really old seeing a video with a constant annotation that shouts out "LIKE, COMMENT, AND SUB!" (on the subject, I guess that is what "sub4sub" evolved into?). But a little note at the end of the video asking for feedback is different.

A change of venue. I'm not sure if this has been discussed in length or not, but late last year there was quite an uprising against "AdBlock" by some YTers griping that it was taking money away from content creators. Most of these people stating that if you use adblock, there's a very good chance that your favorite YouTuber will lose money, not be able to pay his bills, be forced to go out and get a normal job, preventing them from uploading and thus...you'd be responsible for the downfall of YouTube in general...or something like that.

Here's a prime example. Some fellow by the name of ZybakTV plays Call of Duty for 9 minutes, while discussing that adblock is asking for donations. If you actually listen to this guy, he seems to think that Adblock asking for donations is like Satan asking for funding. Also, that money should go to content creators, not Adblock! You know, the kind of content creators that record some game footage published by a company, slap some commentary on it, and upload to YT!

I guess we should all support the cause, yo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I can't remember what video I got this from.

• Locked thread