Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mendrian posted:

Super late to the party but thanks so much for finding those files and telling me how to find more. Holy crap thanks goons.

I'm trying to get the Experience_Rewarded.wav file out of there too but every time I try to extract the file with the Quick and Dirty VPK Extractor, it says '1 file extracted successfully' but it doesn't actually go anywhere. Also I apparently don't have the basic Valve VPK.EXE file anywhere on my computer, is that normal?

It should be placed in %GAMEDIR%\Vampire\sounds\interface\infobar .

if you can't get it to work : http://filesmelt.com/dl/experience_rewarded.wav

I don't know if having Valves VPK.EXE would make a difference since the VtM:B VPK's are not compatible with other games and especially not other .vpk extractors, since it uses and old file standard, or at least that's what google tells me.

I actually got a new message tone for my mom while digging around there so it was no problem at all.

Hel fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

Fosson posted:

Okay, so has CQM been updated past 3.0? Trying to grab the latest, but I noticed that it may not have been updated to also be used with Wesp's latest fan patch. Could I install the fan patch and then CQM on top of it if that is the case? I'll dig a little deeper, but a lot of that info doesn't seem to be updated in the past year, year and a half.

e: looks like they can't be combined. I guess the remaining question is, is there a new CQM version floating around? Seems neat, I've not played since last year and haven't completed the game, so I guess worst case scenario the UP 8.8 or whatever will be fine for now. I just saw that CQM was highly goon recommended these days and want the best experience possible.

It hasn't been updated to the latest WESP patch. It's a little more rough in comparison, but I found it worth having even so. Last word from the CQM dev was that he was working with WESP on a big new update, and while I don't think we'll see it soon I do think we'll see it. As seen on the Planet Vampire forums (http://www.planetvampire.com/forum/index.php?topic=5875.240) from when UP was 8.4....

"As some of you guys know, I speak to Burgermeister every other day or so. At the moment, after having moved pixels for Wesp in between his fixes and stuff, he is now recreating his (lost) installer, sorting things out with several integrated mods, and mainly, merging his content into the UP 8.4 (he'll correct the changes for 8.5 and the hotfix in the go). Once this is done, and after he has made sure all hotfixes have been put in, he'll release it as CQM 3.1. He's just finished Chinatown's map' merging."

The author is apparently mildly uncommunicative and the Planet Vampire folks aren't the best at keeping people apprised from outside of their community, but there you are.

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004
Just this once, everybody lives!
I googled for this a bit, but didn't find the magical text combination to come up with results...

What's the command to make speech appear as text during cutscenes and such? I had it working on my old install and can't seem to turn it on this time around.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Left mouse button. At least if you meant the talking head dialogue. As the actual cutscenes and subtitles, I do not know.

Whovian Bookworm
Oct 25, 2004
Just this once, everybody lives!
That doesn't seem to be it. Whatever it was turned on cutscene text and all dialogue text so you didn't have to keep clicking to turn it on every time a conversation starts.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Chouzan posted:

That doesn't seem to be it. Whatever it was turned on cutscene text and all dialogue text so you didn't have to keep clicking to turn it on every time a conversation starts.

It's under the audio options:

I've never had this bug happen before. It was kind of funny. I smacked him so hard he flew up into the corner there and just kept spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpkCSZygIQ

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

PureRok posted:

I've never had this bug happen before. It was kind of funny. I smacked him so hard he flew up into the corner there and just kept spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKpkCSZygIQ

I have something mildly similar happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhAkrUtCFdM

Game's kind of broken/weird and I love it more than any other game ever. I still remember how incredible it felt exploring Santa Monica for the first time. If ever we needed the technology to wipe memories so we could enjoy something for the first time it's for this. God did that initial playthrough feel great and capture that sense of wonderment and awe. Everything was dark and scary and new and unknown and I wanted to live in the world and drink in all the details and laugh at all the outrageous bugs and glitches. Such a good loving game. [/nostalgia]

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I have something mildly similar happen. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhAkrUtCFdM

Game's kind of broken/weird and I love it more than any other game ever. I still remember how incredible it felt exploring Santa Monica for the first time. If ever we needed the technology to wipe memories so we could enjoy something for the first time it's for this. God did that initial playthrough feel great and capture that sense of wonderment and awe. Everything was dark and scary and new and unknown and I wanted to live in the world and drink in all the details and laugh at all the outrageous bugs and glitches. Such a good loving game. [/nostalgia]

Yeah ill always fondly remember my first playthrough because the game for all its faults just manages to keep its atmosphere so well done so often, id love to see a new iteration with bigger better hubs, proper combat more expansion to the non combat side of the game etc.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If you're a fan of the old World of Darkness setting, Bloodlines is perfect in how it captures and depicts it.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

If you're a fan of the old World of Darkness setting, Bloodlines is perfect in how it captures and depicts it.

I didnt know anything about WoD before bloodlines and it got me to go look up some of the background stuff and i ended up really liking that to boot so yeah agreed 100% there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Pope Guilty posted:

It is up there as one of the best PnP RPG adaptations to a video game, by far.

Shadowrun Returns, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum are the others, mostly.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I adore Arcanum, but as far as I'm aware, it's a novel world.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm currently going through the museum and I have a question: Does biting guards get me seen, and if not, can I use it to incapacitate guards without killing them?

I need to disable some cameras, see, and don't have access to obfuscate.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I don't think it does but I'm pretty sure when the daze wears off they go into alert and then you "get seen."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Are there any consequences for being seen in the Museum?

Matthaeus
Aug 1, 2013

Pope Guilty posted:

Are there any consequences for being seen in the Museum?

It doesn't matter if you're seen as long as you don't kill any guards.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Crossposting relevant bits from the Great LP thread ongoing here

TehGherkin posted:

I've beaten the game with Brujah and Malkavian, and I'm not sure what clan I'm going to go with this time, possibly Nosferatu for something very different, although I'll likely play the game again straight away when I re-complete it, so I could save it 'til then and try out Gangrel; Aren't they unarmed fighters though? Because those animations will get boring quickly.

Could go Toreador, Celerity's always a hoot.

Are there any mods I should pick up apart from the ClanQuest one? I'm assuming that has the most recent iteration of Wesp's plus patch in it as well.

I wonder, will there ever be any good clan mods out there that aren't just a complete reskin all round; same character model, same NPC reactions and dialogue, similar powers with different names.

I honestly wouldn't mind an occasional NPC having a silent line amidst the voice acted ones when they were addressing the fact that you're, say, a Lasombra or something. If people really find it too jarring, why not just have NPCs who are already in the game and giving you unique quests / dialogue contact you via e-mail and notes? Added in NPCs specifically for the mod wouldn't be a problem.

I know it's probably way more effort than I even realize, but considering the cult following, the fact that it's been out for years, and the horrible fact that as far as Vampire: The Masquerade RPGs, this is about all we've got. (Hey, I liked Redemption, but it's really more like 'Sort of V:TM with the rules bent meets Diablo.', and that was awesome, but Bloodlines is better.)

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Fuzz posted:

It is up there as one of the best PnP RPG adaptations to a video game, by far.

Shadowrun Returns, Planescape: Torment, and Arcanum are the others, mostly.

Planescape is both good and bad. The writing and the lore is an amazing adaptation of the setting, but the gameplay is pretty bad. I'd put Baldur's Gate 2 on the list

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The one thing I liked about Redemption was being able to pump XP into a particular Discipline power to make it stronger. On the other hand, Bloodlines doesn't shower you in XP quite as badly as Redemption does.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TehGherkin posted:

I could save it 'til then and try out Gangrel; Aren't they unarmed fighters though? Because those animations will get boring quickly.

It's all in how you want to build your Gangrel. Protean only works to boost unarmed fighting. Animalism is purely ranged. Fortitude works well with either Protean or Animalism (or just with a gun, for a third option).

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The combat animations are annoying, but Protean does tend to rip the crap out of things. It makes the sewer level really easy, for one.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

DeathChicken posted:

The combat animations are annoying, but Protean does tend to rip the crap out of things. It makes the sewer level really easy, for one.

Also, since it's all close combat, you're always ready to grab someone for a blood refill. After you boost Fortitude high enough, you can basically just activate Fortitude and move from blood grab to blood grab.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I like Protean because ripping things apart with your bare hands is way more proper Vampire than shooting them with an uzi or even using celerity to slap chop them with a katana.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zaphod42 posted:

I like Protean because ripping things apart with your bare hands is way more proper Vampire than shooting them with an uzi or even using celerity to slap chop them with a katana.

Adapt to the modern world you troglodyte. Dracula and Cain would have used assault rifles if they'd gotten the opportunity.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

poptart_fairy posted:

Adapt to the modern world you troglodyte. Dracula and Cain would have used assault rifles if they'd gotten the opportunity.

No, they'd just use Animalism because it's the single most powerful Discipline in the game, and intentionally so. There's a reason they specifically show the Sheriff completely tear rear end without talking a step at the start of the game.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

RagnarokAngel posted:

Planescape is both good and bad. The writing and the lore is an amazing adaptation of the setting, but the gameplay is pretty bad. I'd put Baldur's Gate 2 on the list

Planescape is another example of a game where people will probably understand if you cheat your stats up, for sure.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
I still find it humorous that even after all these fan patches that they still haven't fixed (I'm not sure they can) that stat bug with the story backgrounds on character creation.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I'm surprised there hasn't been a total conversion mod for HL2 or something to get the game on the finished source engine. With all the effort that's gone into fixing bugs it seems like they might as well just remade the game and just have the installer for the mod pull the required assets from an original install of the game (you know, so they don't distribute the game illegally).

Or a remake.

Or another Vampire game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

PureRok posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a total conversion mod for HL2 or something to get the game on the finished source engine. With all the effort that's gone into fixing bugs it seems like they might as well just remade the game and just have the installer for the mod pull the required assets from an original install of the game (you know, so they don't distribute the game illegally).
I've done a bunch of talking recently with someone who's working on exactly this. He's been doing some cool stuff like merging some maps together to lower load times, but there's a lot of very difficult things to do like recoding tons of entities and figuring out how to replicate Bloodlines-specific engine stuff that doesn't have a Valve counterpart, like the primitive cloth physics on skirts.

Last I heard they were piecing together some multiplayer stuff so there's something for folks to play and mess with outside of roaming around an uninhabited Santa Monica.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

PureRok posted:

Or a remake.

Or another Vampire game.

The brand is tied up with the CCP MMO (who knows if that's ever coming out) so that's why you haven't seen any other games in the setting (at least not official ones).

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The cloth physics were more of an annoyance than feature, I think my characters spent more time wearing their cloaks inside out and over their head than they did properly.

Wouldn't mind seeing them gone.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

steinrokkan posted:

The cloth physics were more of an annoyance than feature, I think my characters spent more time wearing their cloaks inside out and over their head than they did properly.

Wouldn't mind seeing them gone.

If there's a way to remove them and keep everything else stable, I'm all for this if it'll make the dev process easier.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

If there's a way to remove them and keep everything else stable, I'm all for this if it'll make the dev process easier.
The problem is that without them, the cloth will just stay straight, rigid and unrigged. From the sounds of things, they're just going to modify the models so that the skirts etc. will just stay attached to the leg or whatever instead.

...I looked back a couple of pages, turns out the project was already mentioned. It's this one. Probably should have assumed it wasn't anything new. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

PureRok posted:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a total conversion mod for HL2 or something to get the game on the finished source engine.

Porting a game from one version of the Source engine to the next is already a nightmare, so porting it from a version that predates the HL2 release version to Source 2011 is going to be a multi-year undertaking that will probably leave at least one person dead.

This has not stopped people from trying.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Sexpansion posted:

The brand is tied up with the CCP MMO (who knows if that's ever coming out) so that's why you haven't seen any other games in the setting (at least not official ones).

The good news is that CCP appears to not care in the slightest about the actual games and has licensed the rights to make new tabletop books to Onyx Path (a bunch of former WW employees and freelancers) and new live-action books to By Night Studios (as best as I can tell from the text and anecdotes, a bunch of Camarilla/Mind's Eye Society and One World By Night members).

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
So I've started Yet Another Playthrough of one of my favourite RPGs here and I've gone Ventrue for the first time.

I put my first Discipline point into Dominate and I was reading the description for Trance and Forgetful Mind. Is Dominate going to trivialize stealth areas as much as it looks like? Forgetful Mind doesn't even cost blood. I do quite like the idea of my classy vampire strolling through the place practically invisible because people's minds keep telling them their eyes are lying.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

TehGherkin posted:

So I've started Yet Another Playthrough of one of my favourite RPGs here and I've gone Ventrue for the first time.

I put my first Discipline point into Dominate and I was reading the description for Trance and Forgetful Mind. Is Dominate going to trivialize stealth areas as much as it looks like? Forgetful Mind doesn't even cost blood. I do quite like the idea of my classy vampire strolling through the place practically invisible because people's minds keep telling them their eyes are lying.

What? Forgetful mind isn't in this game iirc? The levels for Dominate are:

quote:

Level 1: Trance
Cost: 1 Blood
Targets: Single
Breaks Masquerade: No
Description: This level causes the target to fall into a deep trance. Any action taken against the target will cause them to snap out of it.

Level 2: Brainwipe
Cost: 2 Blood
Targets: Any within radius of player
Description: Briefly erases the short term memory of anyone in the area of effect. They'll forget what they were just doing including that they were fighting you or even that you're around at all.

Level 3: Suicide
Cost: 2 Blood
Description: Similar in result to Dementation's Vision of Death, Suicide causes the victim to suffer a fatal fit. May not be as effective against supernatural creatures.

Level 4: Possession
Cost: 3 Blood
Description: Your survival becomes the most important in the world to the victim. They will try desperately to defend you and attack anyone who tries to harm you. The effect lasts until the victim eventually dies of cardiac arrest. May not be as effective against supernatural creatures.

Level 5: Mass Suicide
Cost: 4 Blood
Targets: Any within radius of the target
Description: An area effect version of Suicide. The target and those nearby will suffer a collective fatal episode. May not be as effective against supernatural creatures.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Do you play ClanQuest? I'm gonna have to strongly disagree considering

TehGherkin fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Feb 24, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

TehGherkin posted:

vampire strolling through the place practically invisible because people's minds keep telling them their eyes are lying.

Technically, this is how Obfuscate works. You're not really invisible. You're just emitting a constant psychic broadcast whose contents are "SEE THIS INSTEAD". Which is why it doesn't work on electronic devices, but does work on somebody using an electronic device but within range of the Obfuscate power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
That's cool, I see the Dominate one more like the guards thinking 'Hey, I'm pretty sure I see a guy skulking over there!' and the vampire looks at him like :smug:, 'Oh. Guess not.', and you stroll right past.

• Locked thread