Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I didn't see this posted yet and I'm surprised I missed it but you can indeed save transfer on DW8 from PS3 to PS4.

It's pretty relieving, so hopefully anyone still curious sees it. There's still no word on the DLC you may or may not have being present on PS4 though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lunethex posted:

I didn't see this posted yet and I'm surprised I missed it but you can indeed save transfer on DW8 from PS3 to PS4.

It's pretty relieving, so hopefully anyone still curious sees it. There's still no word on the DLC you may or may not have being present on PS4 though.

Sick as this sounds? I'm actually looking forward to doing poo poo over. Especially knowing how the game better works. Part of what I'm looking forward to also is the cutscenes with the texture improvements.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

5er posted:

Sick as this sounds? I'm actually looking forward to doing poo poo over. Especially knowing how the game better works. Part of what I'm looking forward to also is the cutscenes with the texture improvements.

I'm still eagerly anticipating true rage attacks on PS4. I won't watch a video of it, it's the kind of feeling you have to experience personally. If you thought the "man tornadoes" on PS3 were something, I can't imagine the ones on PS4 :getin:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Oh good, I never got around to DW8 and now I can just get it on PS4 later, sounds perfect to me.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lunethex posted:

I'm still eagerly anticipating true rage attacks on PS4. I won't watch a video of it, it's the kind of feeling you have to experience personally. If you thought the "man tornadoes" on PS3 were something, I can't imagine the ones on PS4 :getin:

I'm anticipating, more than anything, pop-in of the grunts being eliminated like I've read about. I've always resented the series for giving some heroes really beefy area of effect C-moves to pull off, and when you see the animation go off, having goons pop in that should've gotten hit, clipping right through the animated swing graphics. And characters that have C's that involve a whole lot of moving around suffer a bit for it too. Dashing off to an area and 'missing' guys because the cpu/gpu couldn't plot them on the screen until after the dash was finished, is bullshit.

Sakurazuka posted:

It plays at least as well as the other versions but it's no longer the definitive version since Ultimate came out on PS3/Vita, however that hasn't left Japan yet and I don't know if it ever will.

:sigh:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

5er posted:

I'm anticipating, more than anything, pop-in of the grunts being eliminated like I've read about. I've always resented the series for giving some heroes really beefy area of effect C-moves to pull off, and when you see the animation go off, having goons pop in that should've gotten hit, clipping right through the animated swing graphics. And characters that have C's that involve a whole lot of moving around suffer a bit for it too. Dashing off to an area and 'missing' guys because the cpu/gpu couldn't plot them on the screen until after the dash was finished, is bullshit.

I can agree with that :(

Especially for the Swallow Swords.

Also there's a new comparison video featuring more cutscenes on PS4 versus the PS3 version.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

I want the ps4 version of dw8 so bad :argh: Is there any feelings or ideas on the NA release date besides the nebulous "spring" date given?

Also I have started watching the RoTK most recent tv show and I am surprised they bothered to let the baby toss in.

Also watching all of Zhang Fei's antics on the show culminating with him settting Zhuge Liang's house on fire on the third visit finally made me care about a Shu character.

Selane
May 19, 2006

I always pictured him spiking him like a football.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Also I have started watching the RoTK most recent tv show and I am surprised they bothered to let the baby toss in.
Ravages of Time went in a funny with that -- its baby toss is more of a rolling sideways fling -- that, according to at least one person, was designed to actually protect Adou while still having the emotional effect on Zhao Yun of 'the lord tossing aside his son for the sake of his general', a real "Liu Bei having his cake and eating it too" moment...

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Here's this new trailer of Samurai Warriors 4, for those interested!

Still can't get over the pop idol girl :v:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I can't stop seeing Chris Cornell starring as Japanese Dracula.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm now the owner of the most serious and realistic ancient war simulation game yet, Sengoku Basara 4. Now to wait six hundred years for it to download through the soda straw that the PSN downloads through...

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

5er posted:

This was me until I actually took the time to grind out every skill to 20 and there's no way in hell I'll do that again.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
I'm pretty down with Kagekatsu and his giant cleavers (?) which is almost as awesome as Deng Ai and his drill lance.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Jibo posted:

This was me until I actually took the time to grind out every skill to 20 and there's no way in hell I'll do that again.

You'll be able to transfer your save so there shouldn't be any problems. Of course there are masteries for the 5 new weapons!

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
I'm enjoying DW7 Shu story mode so far but I'm pretty sure I missed something plot wise. I'm at the start of what I guess you could call act 2.

Previously on Romance of the Three Kingdoms: "Guan Yu, our sworn brother, has joined Cao Cao! Also Yuan Shao is attacking you for this because he's a dick."
This episode: "Cao Cao's army is marching toward us! Guan Yu, what will we do?"

I'm bad with Chinese names, but not so bad that I didn't notice.

Also is there a more in depth guide to How to Win at Musou Combat, because what I'm doing probably won't fly on harder difficulties/Conquest mode.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Captain Walker posted:

I'm enjoying DW7 Shu story mode so far but I'm pretty sure I missed something plot wise. I'm at the start of what I guess you could call act 2.

Previously on Romance of the Three Kingdoms: "Guan Yu, our sworn brother, has joined Cao Cao! Also Yuan Shao is attacking you for this because he's a dick."
This episode: "Cao Cao's army is marching toward us! Guan Yu, what will we do?"

I'm bad with Chinese names, but not so bad that I didn't notice.
DW7 slashed a pretty relevant bit out of Shu's end of this particular subplot: after Liu Bei fled Xiapi, Zhang Liao had a parlay with Guan Yu -- who'd been unwittingly left behind guarding Xiapi -- and successfully convinced him to capitulate his army under the conditions (set by Guan Yu) that he was surrendering to the Emperor and not Cao Cao (a technicality since Cao Cao was the Prime Minister of the Han Dynasty anyway), that Liu Bei's wives be taken care of under Guan Yu's tenure, and that they be allowed to leave to rejoin Liu Bei were Guan Yu to find his whereabouts... At Zhang Liao's suggestion Cao Cao plied Guan Yu with a hilarious amount of wealth and luxury to try to sway his heart from that third condition*, to the extent that Guan Yu felt obligated enough to Cao Cao that he wanted to render him service before departing... hence Cao Cao chucking him at Yuan Shao's army, thanks to an advisor's suggestion "hey, maybe Yuan Shao will think Liu Bei was in on it and kill him!" Guan Yu only found out about Liu Bei afterward, but he high-tailed it out of there on Red Hare so fast that he outran Cao Cao's "permission to pass through checkpoints" permission slip... hence the troops behind him in the reuniting cutscene.

* To show you how well that worked, here's the reason that Guan Yu rides Red Hare for the rest of the story:

quote:

Guan Yu bowed many times and thanked him again and again, till Cao Cao began to feel displeased and said, "I have given you many things, lovely handmaids and gold and silks and never won a bow of gratitude from you before. This horse seems to please you better than all the rest. Why do you think so poorly of the damsels and so much of the steed?"

"I know the horse: It can travel three hundred miles a day, and I am very lucky to get him. Now as soon as I find out where my brother is, I can get to him in a single day," said Guan Yu."

Cao Cao grumbled to himself and began to repent of his gift.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't figure out why Kenshin and Kasuga aren't playable in Basara 4, just like they weren't in 3, ESPECIALLY with 4's tag team mechanic. Are they not popular enough? It seemed from the anime and stuff that they were some of the most popular characters. They were two of my favorite characters to use in Basara 2.

edit: more to the point, I don't understand why Basara has the concept of characters that are fully developed and integral to the story, yet not playable. Is it being different from Musou just for the sake of being different?

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: more to the point, I don't understand why Basara has the concept of characters that are fully developed and integral to the story, yet not playable. Is it being different from Musou just for the sake of being different?

Samurai Warriors is pretty notable for having unique NPCs that aren't playable though all of them, save Kennyo Honganji (who hasn't appeared at all in the series since the first game), wound up being playable either by that game's XL or the next game (in the case of Ieyasu and Nagamasa). SW4 will probably have a couple of unique NPCs as well before making them and probably some new characters playable in the XL.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So I've recently been hyped on Sengoku Basara after having played the game more extensively and I sort of want to play the earlier games. From what I've been reading though SB3 was the game that had an overhaul on the mechanics and the first few games aren't as fast and with as many moves. So is there any reason to really play the early games given my understanding of Japanese is very limited or what?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Policenaut posted:

Samurai Warriors 4 has create-a-warrior, just like the other games in the series. Maybe some day they'll bring it back for Dynasty Warriors main games.
I kind of hope they don't arbitrarily prevent CAW characters from using certain movesets, like SW2:E did....

Samurai Sanders posted:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam (especially the second one, I haven't played enough of the third to tell yet) has this problem too, where there's a ton of characters who appear as officers but aren't playable.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Playing as Soren Otomo in Basara 4 is a hell of a thing, with him dancing around on top of his mobile platform, firing Xavi rockets and singing people to death. Speaking of which, where is Xavi? His absence in 3 made sense since it covers only the second half of the warring states period, but this (kind of sort of) covers the beginning.

edit: I forget if it was like this in 3, but you can apparently stunlock any enemy to death against a wall with Magoichi's shotgun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just got DW Next thanks to PS+ and it just blind-sided me with how quickly your bases get re-captured by enemy generals, I'm used to mostly forgetting about them once they're mine unless things are going badly wrong.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

U.T. Raptor posted:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam (especially the second one, I haven't played enough of the third to tell yet) has this problem too, where there's a ton of characters who appear as officers but aren't playable.

It also has the problem of having characters but not their suits. It's really dumb that they have Cecily and Schwarz in the game but not the Vigna Ghina and Gundam Spiegel respectively.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm a bit disappointed with Basara 4 from a story perspective. They seem to have thrown away 90% of the historical connections it had before, and now you're just fight dude -> fight dude -> fight dude -> DRAMA -> story is over. I guess the balance between history and anime silliness in Musou suits me better. The mechanics in this game are still probably slightly better though, though both are nothing to write home about obviously.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
DW7 Shu and Wu story modes convinced me that yes, I do really love this series. Just picked up DW7:XL for PS3 and Orochi 3 Hyper for Wii U at under $30. I know what I'm playing forever!

I should finish/plat 7 to maximize my enjoyment before transferring everything into XL, right? I have the download version so if I ever want to play the remixed story again, I can iirc.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

So I'm working up motivation to finally start a Warriors Orochi 3 LP. As part of the prep-work, I'm looking for .jpgs of the character portraits that are shown whenever one of them talks. Does anyone know a good source for these so I don't have to worry about cropping them myself?

fake-edit: Preferably, they'd be about this size: (courtesy of TheDarkId's NIER LP), though I can adjust the size if needed.

real-edit: Also, I'd like to find a site that has all the dialogue, both in the stages and the cut-scenes.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 6, 2014

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

So I'm working up motivation to finally start a Warriors Orochi 3 LP. As part of the prep-work, I'm looking for .jpgs of the character portraits that are shown whenever one of them talks. Does anyone know a good source for these so I don't have to worry about cropping them myself?

fake-edit: Preferably, they'd be about this size: (courtesy of TheDarkId's NIER LP), though I can adjust the size if needed.

Believe it or not, Orochi 3 also has the "Emotion Chart" in the gallery for all the characters. Screenshot each one as necessary.

quote:

real-edit: Also, I'd like to find a site that has all the dialogue, both in the stages and the cut-scenes.

I am going to venture a guess that something like this doesn't exist. You're just going to have to transcribe from the game, which isn't so bad because everything is tied to easily uncovered events. But if you go too fast it might cut out some unnecessary stuff. Playing with the recommended characters shouldn't be an issue since if you're not using them they usually appear as far as I've seen, but in certain cases one character will say something to another in a particular moment.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lunethex posted:

Believe it or not, Orochi 3 also has the "Emotion Chart" in the gallery for all the characters. Screenshot each one as necessary.

Unfortunately, I don't have my original save file. And since I'm going to be doing a fresh runthrough, I don't want to unlock everyone to get their portraits and then reset the data and do it all over again.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Unfortunately, I don't have my original save file. And since I'm going to be doing a fresh runthrough, I don't want to unlock everyone to get their portraits and then reset the data and do it all over again.

Since I have a PVR2 I can just scroll through it and take screenshots with it and just bundle it up and send it off to you. That work?

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

Best of luck to you, sir. I look forward to seeing what comes of this.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot
Just popping in to say dynasty warriors 8 for xbox 360 was one of the WORST loving PORTS I've ever seen of a warriors game and the slowdown framerate issues were unacceptable and their patch didnt fix poo poo. The only warriors game I shut off after 5 minutes of gameplay and listed for sale on ebay. How do you gently caress up that badly, not even the ps2 games were that bad with the slowdown.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I stopped bothering with the 360 ports of DW games when they started dumping you back to the tile screen with no chance to save if you lost your wireless connection.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Just popping in to say dynasty warriors 8 for xbox 360 was one of the WORST loving PORTS I've ever seen of a warriors game and the slowdown framerate issues were unacceptable and their patch didnt fix poo poo. The only warriors game I shut off after 5 minutes of gameplay and listed for sale on ebay. How do you gently caress up that badly, not even the ps2 games were that bad with the slowdown.

The patch made the Chi Bi fire sequence playable and seemed to make the thing a little more stable, but drat, I wish I could defend it as a port. Frame rate aside, the game freezes on me whenever it feels like it, and in one instance, I've had character models actually load in correctly, so they'd run around with their upper body in the jump position. (It's hilarious to look at, but it's so amateur that I get a little irritated.)

I just wish I didn't have to buy a whole new console for a decent DW experience. On the plus side, WO1 and 2 were decent ports that I managed to 1000G, so my 360 wasn't a total waste on that front.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lunethex posted:

Since I have a PVR2 I can just scroll through it and take screenshots with it and just bundle it up and send it off to you. That work?

Yes, this would be very much appreciated! Thank you.

Shoot me a PM so we can coordinate it off thread

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition is dated.

DW8XLCE PS4 & Vita and DW8XL PS3 will launch simultaneously. March 25th in North America, April 4th in Europe. Apparently the Japanese version save data transfer will be coming to the overseas release, as TK is promoting the save data transfer. Lu Bu gets to be on the box art!

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Policenaut posted:

Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends Complete Edition is dated.

DW8XLCE PS4 & Vita and DW8XL PS3 will launch simultaneously. March 25th in North America, April 4th in Europe. Apparently the Japanese version save data transfer will be coming to the overseas release, as TK is promoting the save data transfer. Lu Bu gets to be on the box art!

No. NO! There are already too many games coming out in March and I'm already going to be broke as hell. :ohdear:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yay! I was worrying the NA version would be more far flung off than that, happy to be wrong.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So, just to get up to speed, what Musou games are confirmed to be coming over but have not yet actually come over?

And are there any still in localization limbo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Pureauthor posted:

So, just to get up to speed, what Musou games are confirmed to be coming over but have not yet actually come over?

And are there any still in localization limbo?

That DW8 XL complete package thing and SW4 are confirmed coming out. They haven't said anything about Gundam 4.