Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah, the issue with the Westernization system is that no one can agree *why* Europe took off when everyone else didn't, so Paradox just says "gently caress it, we're just doing determinism."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

maev posted:

There are a lot of theories around regarding European technological development and why it pulled ahead of the rest of the world, and honestly there really isn't room to go into that in detail without de-railing to probational levels

Actually, you know, I think this would be a great subject for a D&D post, and would really love to see a thread about "Why did Europe pull ahead of other areas of the world during the Renaissance?". That would be super interesting. :shobon:

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think the Europe vs Barbarians thing is really more of a side-effect of the system that is left because it produces accurate-enough results, suppressing China and whatnot. I think the real reason lies firmly in Europe and it's early modern modern west - stagnating east split, which is not something you can just leave out in a game about these times. I mean, you could have just set Europe's starting tech level as 10 and let Ryukyu try to outrun it with their meager income (remember the system was designed when tech directly correlated with income). But that doesn't really work with Eastern Europe - Commonwealth began raking in cash on grain boom, Russia reaped benefits Siberia, and yet they stagnated because of reasons beyond pushing armies and managing little ships. Besides, westernisation should be in the game and should keep that name, unless you feel Peter the Great's reforms - literally one of three most culturally defining periods for the nation - should be just a +10% science points random event.

I mean, the system could be more elegant and less deterministic and it sure would be cool if Paradox came up with some cool Technology Revamp DLC but you know, I see where they're coming from.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

PleasingFungus posted:

It's not?

Before changing to a non-static trade system, you'd need trade to actually influence tech in a meaningful way, if you're going to replace tech groups. (Ironically, the old income-based tech system in EU3 would accomplish this fantastically.)
It probably should. Monarch points are great, but totally divesting cultural and technological research from economic production is actually less cognitively tied to history than a Civilization tech tree. It's the most literal application of Great Men historiography I've seen in a game, except maybe Dynasty Warriors having historical figures plow through hundreds of mooks. And the trade network is already the most deterministic thing about the game this side of Lucky Nations On, which is probably as it should be were it more flexible. Wealth of Nations keeping it static is actually kind of a disappointment. It's a ton of work, yeah, but that's what your DLC is about in the first place.

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah, the issue with the Westernization system is that no one can agree *why* Europe took off when everyone else didn't, so Paradox just says "gently caress it, we're just doing determinism."
It isn't just some academic concern though, it has very real gameplay implications and it's bad enough that I don't even play this game without removing it in its entirety (I don't play Western nations very often). The biggest problem, game design-wise, is that these tech penalties double-dip everywhere. Not only do New World techs have worthless units, their tech development is so slow that they'll never unlock them anyway. And tons of game content that has no reason to be restricted to Europeans is restricted anyway. Whitewashing in this game honestly wouldn't really be a big problem if it wasn't such a huge burden on non-European nations. Nobody wants to play Caribbean Slave Markets: The Game, but arbitrary penalties affects the way the game works. There's hardly a reason for African and North American nations to exist at all.

*e* vvvvvvvvvvv
We're limited in what we can do in terms of modding. I remove all tech group penalties and even out the units and do the best I can to open up Events and Decisions for White Folks to the rest of the world, but even that's fighting a losing battle when you look at something like the Japan events.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Feb 8, 2014

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Would it be more accurate to have this idea I've been kicking around as maybe a mod for EU4.

Have the European and other nearby tech groups more closely matched in tech cost percentages. The European "western" tech group is dropped in tech speed matching the rest of the nearby world. Then if certain conditions are met in the time period, and they meet the right conditions then they can enact a decision to enter the "Englightnment" Tech Group.
The decision could be something like:
Byz = does not exist
OR
Border Shared with Byz, TUR

As a very rough way to simulate it maybe (and as merely an example!), with some added mechanics to handle foreign powers untouched by Europe to reach "Enlightenment".

Taking the decision early will give you religious turmoil and other effects making it rough if you want a stable kingdom/republic. But waiting until midgame to late game or so, you can enact a new "limited enlightenment" which gives you the same tech group but with fare less cost to stability.

It would allow for some simulation for how some parts of Europe adopted it quickly, while others really didn't fall far behind but didn't progress as heavily either. It would also allow for, say, Morocco to be on par for a longer period of time to some powers who wouldn't benefit from an early Enlightenment (Spain/Portugal). It'd need a unit overhaul to for this to match up properly though.

Would this even be a good idea as a rough simulation that doesn't go into the nitty gritty? Or is it too simplistic?

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bel Monte posted:

]Would this even be a good idea as a rough simulation that doesn't go into the nitty gritty? Or is it too simplistic?

No, it doesn't simulate what happened at all.

Byzantine falling had little to do with what ended up happening. The current tech group and starting tech levels do a better job in that it places Europe at fairly close tech parity at the start but gives them an advantage at progress since any decent reading of history places the roots of Europe's accelerating advantage deep into the middle ages. The processes that lead to Europe's eventual dominance were pretty clearly already in play by the start of EU, Europe had lagged for a long time but the gap was narrowing by the High Middle Ages in Western Europe and it was becoming equivalent, or potentially superior, in productivity per person by the time EU starts.

edit: To do a best-guess "accurate" model of how technology and "westernization" should occur in the timeframe, EU would probably have to revolve around a complicated set of mechanics revolving around agricultural surplus. I would play that but I don't think many people would be interested in a game where one of the mapmodes is soil conditions and the course of a war is of less overall importance to your country then properly adjusting tax laws to increase available capital to farmers without pissing off the nobility too much or weakening central authority.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Feb 8, 2014

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PleasingFungus posted:

Wade-Giles is a font, now?

No but Cyrillic isn't really a font either, its an alphabet. I was just trying to think of annoying things to put on a map.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Are there any mods currently in existence that even out unit stats?

The Nozzle posted:

No but Cyrillic isn't really a font either, its an alphabet. I was just trying to think of annoying things to put on a map.

Wade-Giles on a map wouldn't annoy me that much- it's how things were written at the time and for a long time after.

If you were to mix the two, however...:unsmigghh:

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Wouldn't the Westernisation mechanic in EU4 be far more interesting, and possibly more effective, if it were based on how much trade was occurring between the Western tech group nations, and the non-Western nations?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Kavak posted:

Wade-Giles on a map wouldn't annoy me that much- it's how things were written at the time and for a long time after.

If you were to mix the two, however...:unsmigghh:
Paradox is already in the habit of mixing spellings in-game and in the code itself. They use colors (:911:) and localisations (:britain:) in CK2 and EU4. Hearts of Iron has army ministers with the armoured spearhead doctrine, but the units themselved are armored divisions. The unit mission to assist defenders in a nearby province is outright defined as
code:
MISSION_SUPPORT_DEFENSE;Support Defence;
HOW

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

El Pollo Blanco posted:

Wouldn't the Westernisation mechanic in EU4 be far more interesting, and possibly more effective, if it were based on how much trade was occurring between the Western tech group nations, and the non-Western nations?

Well that would be a fun and interesting dynamic that could lead to some interesting scenarios where Europe doesn't dominate the lesser peoples of the world and instead some sort of parity is reached, so of course we cannot consider it, bro.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I do think that it would be a decent idea to lift the 'border on Westerners' restriction and open it up, maybe to trading or diplomatic contact. Also, minor reforms like the Native Americans got should really be standard for sub-Muslim tech groups.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
What is the "Westernisation" of a country even implying in EU? The way the mechanic currently works feels very much like an early industrial revolution, increasing the society's focus on urbanisation, and production, instead of remaining a nomadic/feudal agricultural society. That would make sense given the increased difficulty in westernising as a sprawling nation, at least.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

Well that would be a fun and interesting dynamic that could lead to some interesting scenarios where Europe doesn't dominate the lesser peoples of the world and instead some sort of parity is reached, so of course we cannot consider it, bro.

Get down off your cross.

I'ld like to hear the justification for trade triggering westernization considering western trade was often harmful to devastating for countries. Western trade smashed West Africa flat and triggered inflation and economic turmoil in China. The Med region was more closely linked to Europe by trade then the model for Westernization, Russia, yet North Africa and the Ottomans never joined the Western cultural sphere or did anything you could justifiably call Westernization. The idea isn't even anymore leftist or align with your particular political axe because your new Westernization mechanic is still based on the idea of non-westerners as receptacles waiting for occidental wisdom to reach their ears.

The real problem with Westernization is that, no matter what triggers it, its still watching a meter fill up while fighting rebels every so often. We probably need more advanced internal mechanics before we can get a decent trigger or system for Westernization

SickZip fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 8, 2014

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

El Pollo Blanco posted:

What is the "Westernisation" of a country even implying in EU? The way the mechanic currently works feels very much like an early industrial revolution, increasing the society's focus on urbanisation, and production, instead of remaining a nomadic/feudal agricultural society. That would make sense given the increased difficulty in westernising as a sprawling nation, at least.

It's basically a generic version of Peter the Great's reforms: standardizing the alphabet, adopting European sciences and philosophy, importing architects for cities and military advisors, etc.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

SickZip posted:

Get down off your cross.

I'ld like to hear the justification for trade triggering westernization considering western trade was often harmful to devastating for countries. Western trade smashed West Africa flat and triggered inflation and economic turmoil in China. The Med region was more closely linked to Europe by trade then the model for Westernization, Russia, yet North Africa and the Ottomans never joined the Western cultural sphere or did anything you could justifiably call Westernization. The idea isn't even anymore leftist or align with your particular political axe because your new Westernization mechanic is still based on the idea of non-westerners as receptacles waiting for occidental wisdom to reach their ears.

The real problem with Westernization is that, no matter what triggers it, its still watching a meter fill up while fighting rebels every so often. We probably need more advanced internal mechanics before we can get a decent trigger for Westernization

It would be a fun gameplay mechanic in a game that's billed as a sandbox alt-history game? It would lead to most of the world not being locked out because no silly, Ethiopia/India/Korea/non-European nation could never catch up to the glorious European ubermensch?

It's not a political thing, it's about opening up more nations to being actually fun to play rather than, as you even acknowledge, having them sit around waiting for a meter to fill up. Besides, it was not the trade that was devestating to the native populations of whatever place the Europeans happened to land in, it was the gross exploitation that followed. These two things are not so tied together that we cannot fathom some alt-history scenario where some nation takes what they learned from the westerners and cross-pollinate it with what their own cultures, thus dragging themselves out of their own medieval-esque sociopolitical quagmire. Heck, Japan did it.

e: Besides, saying that all trade with European powers was bad for non-European nations is such a limited, and rather misinformed, way to view history.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Feb 8, 2014

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Paradox is already in the habit of mixing spellings in-game and in the code itself. They use colors (:911:) and localisations (:britain:) in CK2 and EU4. Hearts of Iron has army ministers with the armoured spearhead doctrine, but the units themselved are armored divisions. The unit mission to assist defenders in a nearby province is outright defined as
code:
HOW

I can't speak for Sweden, but in Germany you don't dedicatedly learn British or American English. As long as the word you use is correct somewhere, most teachers are fine with it.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

nutranurse posted:

It would be a fun gameplay mechanic in a game that's billed as a sandbox alt-history game? It would lead to most of the world not being locked out because no silly, Ethiopia/India/Korea/non-European nation could never catch up to the glorious European ubermensch?

Its not a fun gameplay mechanic because its just a different trigger for the same mechanic. Waiting for a westerner to trade with you is as boring as waiting for a westerner to settle next to you. Its also even less historic.

SickZip fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 8, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Then give the non-Europeans something to do while they wait for western enlightenment.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

code:
HOW

Yeah, but like ArchangeI the spelling isn't really that different, compared to things often being unrecognizable between Wade-Giles and Pinyin.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

nutranurse posted:

Then give the non-Europeans something to do while they wait for western enlightenment.

I think the most constructive thing we can draw from this is that there is a deep desire for paradox to expand and deepen the existing aspects of eu which don't directly relate to war or expanding by the sword. The new wealth of nations dlc is welcome in this regard, and I'd love to see a continuation of this direction rather than more events for America or made up civ continents.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The problem I see with tech groups and Westernization is that they're an incredibly deterministic element in what's otherwise a very sandboxy game. Everything else goes ahistorical as soon as the game starts, but technology and military progression is fixed in a way that hobbles non-European countries and outright cripples Africans, Americans, and other native groups, so which regions become dominant is basically set in stone. No matter what a player does, countries outside of the Western tech group are inherently worse than countries in the Western tech group until they Westernize, the progress of which is unrelated to scientific progress or available resources, and the result of which still leaves them playing catch-up to the Western countries that had that advantage from the beginning. Europa Universalis is a game where minor non-European nations can create vast and powerful empires through skillful play, but are still saddled with tech penalties that make nations progressively worse the further away they start from Western Europe. Same goes for the CKII converter, which decides your tech group based more on what religion you are and whether you hold major European capitals than what your technology level was.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Hey guys, a friend of mine is trying to get into Darkest Hour and he was wondering if there were any good tutorials out there. I've looked around pdox palaza and googled around to see if there are any good AARs but I couldn't find anything that was specifically a tutorial for the game. Does anyone know of any good ones? Thanks!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
If you convert a CKII save that has the Roman Empire in control of all of Europe will it still be categorized as unwesternized?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

If you convert a CKII save that has the Roman Empire in control of all of Europe will it still be categorized as unwesternized?

No, holding certain "key provinces" will make the converter give you a higher tech level than it normally would, so conquering Europe completely will almost certainly put you in the Western tech group. Religion's also a major factor; Catholic countries will start off in the Western tech group even before held provinces or realm technology is looked at, while Muslims will start off in the Muslim tech group, and so on.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Amusingly, if you remove the malus for every non-western tech group, the Muslim nations just seem to run at 100% negative Piety, which gives them a massive tech advantage. I just let a game run for 100 years, and the Ottomans were about 3 techs ahead in each area, plus they had 18 Ideas to the average of 11 in Europe.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You know, as much as I like EU4's monarch points, I'd have just made a single pool to draw from instead of three.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DrSunshine posted:

Actually, you know, I think this would be a great subject for a D&D post, and would really love to see a thread about "Why did Europe pull ahead of other areas of the world during the Renaissance?". That would be super interesting. :shobon:
It's been done and doesn't really go anyway, it usually just goes that someone cites a tl;dr version of Guns, Germs and Steel and then someone else says how that book is just pop history and not really accurate and then gives some other flakey theory. The short version is we really don't know why.

Riso posted:

You know, as much as I like EU4's monarch points, I'd have just made a single pool to draw from instead of three.

I don't see the point in that aside from dumbing it down. The only change I'd make is giving more use for military points so dumping into a military idea group wasn't such a no-brainer.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
You sound like a grog.

Reducing the points to a single pool actually makes the decisions you take even more important because there is more of a trade off.

As a bonus it also solves all the problem where you run out of one type of points you actually need while you are overflowing in the others.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

SickZip posted:

I would play that but I don't think many people would be interested in a game where one of the mapmodes is soil conditions and the course of a war is of less overall importance to your country then properly adjusting tax laws to increase available capital to farmers without pissing off the nobility too much or weakening central authority.

I'd like to play that too so for the Paradox people reading this that's a consumer market that has doubled over a few hours, keep an eye out!

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Agean90 posted:

ABYSSINIA
CORRUPT CHRISTIANITY

Best part of that map :v:

SickZip posted:

edit: To do a best-guess "accurate" model of how technology and "westernization" should occur in the timeframe, EU would probably have to revolve around a complicated set of mechanics revolving around agricultural surplus. I would play that but I don't think many people would be interested in a game where one of the mapmodes is soil conditions and the course of a war is of less overall importance to your country then properly adjusting tax laws to increase available capital to farmers without pissing off the nobility too much or weakening central authority.

I want this game SO MUCH :qq:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
That's a bad idea. England had historically pretty much no famines from at least the 11th century because of the private free farmers vs continental serfs.

In your model the English would just steam ahead full speed while the rest of Europe just rediscovered Greek thought.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SickZip posted:

I'ld like to hear the justification for trade triggering westernization considering western trade was often harmful to devastating for countries.
Yeah, I would go the complete opposite direction, and have the Europeans' arrival be what causes the European lead to increase due to a handicapping of local tech. To expand on that, I would set the whole thing up like this:

1. SEPARATE TECH PENALTIES: This should mostly penalize Diplomatic tech for most Asian countries, while penalties for Administrative, and especially Military tech, are less pronounced.

2. ASIAN TECH ADVANTAGE AT GAME START: If Asia starts with an advantage, Europe won't ahistorically dominate as much.

3. FOREIGN CONQUEST OF A REGION INCREASES TECH PENALTIES: Divide the world into (possibly overlapping) cultural-technological regions. (I suppose an alternative to tech groups) As larger parts of a region are conquered by countries from outside the region, tech penalties increase.

Assuming proper balance, Europe would quickly gain an advantage in Diplomatic tech, which it would then use strip away trading posts in Asia. This would start the process of European tech advantage, and as Europe came to dominate more and more, this advantage would become greater and greater, causing a snowball effect as better tech allows greater conquests resulting in greater penalties. From the perspective of a player in Asia though, they would be able to repulse European advances, and thus prevent this snowball effect. Europe would still have a teching advantage though, but it should not be so great that Westernization would be a requirement. Really, Westernization should probably just be something for Eastern Europe in this timeframe, an option for countries which have thrown out foreign oppressors. (Hordes/Turks/Germans/Swedes)

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I liked March of the Eagles tech mechanic, where getting beaten up by a more technologically advanced nation gave you a bonus to (military) tech at least. Makes sense with how people adopted guns, tactics and even foreign advisors eventually.

As for EUIV I mod in some more even late-game military units, because the "double malus" that non-western nations get with slower research AND no way to catch up with the european über units late in game is just a kick in the balls gameplay wise.

Considering ships ignore the vanilla structure it's just bringing the land units in line and make military tech levels actually mean something

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

quote:

I liked March of the Eagles tech mechanic, where getting beaten up by a more technologically advanced nation gave you a bonus to (military) tech at least. Makes sense with how people adopted guns, tactics and even foreign advisors eventually.

Yeah, it's very good and should be part of the other games.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

ArchangeI posted:

I can't speak for Sweden, but in Germany you don't dedicatedly learn British or American English. As long as the word you use is correct somewhere, most teachers are fine with it.

Kavak posted:

Yeah, but like ArchangeI the spelling isn't really that different, compared to things often being unrecognizable between Wade-Giles and Pinyin.
It can still be a bother when modding and you're not sure which spelling you're supposed to use for one specific entry or another. :colbert:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I dunno if it was mentioned here already, but we now have a guy dedicated to mod support and our script:

quote:

This seems to have flown under the radar during yesterday's Twitter flow from PdxCon in Miami but Paradox Development Studio announced that it will add a new fulltime position - Usermod Coordinator - to better support modders. This will include, but is not limited to:
Keep developing the script language
Implement new triggers and effects
Move certain hardcoded value into defines
Give access to more debuging features and logs
Help out with design suggestions and debuging
Answer questions on the mod forum

The support will initially include Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis 4, but will later on expand to include Hearts of Iron IV and Runemaster. The Usermod Coordinator position will be up and running sometime during the next couple of months.

I would not be too surprised if he standardised the spelling too. Probably to US English though, ugh.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Main Paineframe posted:

No, holding certain "key provinces" will make the converter give you a higher tech level than it normally would, so conquering Europe completely will almost certainly put you in the Western tech group. Religion's also a major factor; Catholic countries will start off in the Western tech group even before held provinces or realm technology is looked at, while Muslims will start off in the Muslim tech group, and so on.

Regarding his question, the answer is actually yes. Roman Empire is most likely to be created by Orthodox Greeks, and Orthodox countries will convert as eastern no matter what "key provinces" they hold. The only way for orthodox to start as western is to have an average tech of 5 in your whole realm. That is only achievable by playing a long game.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Riso posted:

That's a bad idea. England had historically pretty much no famines from at least the 11th century because of the private free farmers vs continental serfs.

In your model the English would just steam ahead full speed while the rest of Europe just rediscovered Greek thought.

What's your point? :britain:

But seriously isn't that one of the reasons why much of the industrial revolution occurred in the UK rather than in France or Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue0071
Dec 8, 2009

Grey Hunter's next target.

He had better move pirates to defines so that I can turn the bastards off next time I play Aceh->Malaya. :colbert:

Without the points nerf to non-Western tech groups, Chinese and Indian tech group countries can totally remain only 1-3 techs behind Europe depending on ruler luck. As Malaya, I had to actually hold off on teching for a bit to allow Spain to get 8 ahead of me when I westernized in the mid-1500s.

Wiz was Qing, I was Malaya, Visc started as Japan but it was AI for the last 100 years (weird uncolonized stuff is due to it being a pre-COP save). HRE was AI Austria going absolutely nuts with inheritances and such. It inherited half of Burgundy, Scotland, Ireland, Poland, and Denmark and had >600k troops at game end.

:psyduck:

Rogue0071 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 8, 2014

• Locked thread