Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

Johnny Quinn posted:

I was taking a shower and the door got locked/jammed....

Johnny Quinn posted:

...With no phone to call for help, I used my bobsled push training to break out. #SochiJailBreak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

Also Kowalczyk is struggling which makes me sad. :smith:

She's so clumsy all the time. Look at her. loving Hunchback of Warszawa.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

^^^She's never been the most technical skier but its really bad today because she has a twisted ankle.

RandomPauI posted:

I am, but I don't quite know what I'm actually watching.

The most physically demanding sport in the world. Its really a shame that its not much of a spectator sport because cross country skiers are absolutely amazing specimens of human endurance.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

RandomPauI posted:

I am, but I don't quite know what I'm actually watching.

Scandanavians, mostly.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

looks like the Russians hired giant wasps to build their doors

Dr. Witherbone
Nov 1, 2010

CHEESE LOOKS ON IN
DESPAIR BUT ALSO WITH
AN ERECTION
Well I don't know what to say, CBC used to have a complete archive up of the opening ceremonies, now it's gone. Hearing all the CBC commentators poo poo on the ceremonies, Putin, and the hotels really was something else, but it seems to have been eternally lost down a memory hole and erased.

Appropriate. :ussr:

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
RIP that pile of dead Scandinavian girls

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

A Pale Horse posted:

looks like the Russians hired giant wasps to build their doors

Haven't you ever broken down a door? The cheapest doors are generally built like that.

don't malign the russian dog contractors by saying wasps did their glorious work

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Toad on a Hat posted:

Poor Bermuda :smith: only three people

Typical Bermuda forming a triangle

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Holy poo poo he's lucky they made the door from balsa wood

he's unlucky they are poo poo at making doors

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Most interior doors are made of particle board and spit. Generally its the doors that lead to the outside being made of real wood.

Its not really an example of "russian construction"

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Feb 8, 2014

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fool and the World posted:

Cayman islands are officially my favorites

Anyone got a pic? Was it just a dude covered in offshore money

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

One of our two Brit entrants in the freestyle snowboarding just dropped the f-bomb in the live interview straight after the event.
Something like, "I messed up the rail and thought, gently caress it. Just have some fun."

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

spookygonk posted:

One of our two Brit entrants: gently caress it. Just have some fun."

I am just glad I am not a speed skater.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Just saw the crash of the slovenian skier. Dude took the hill from the wrong angle, and wound up falling 5-6 metres. Best thing is though, no one bothered to help him and he had to pick up his skis and ski down. lol

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Purno
Aug 6, 2008

midnightclimax posted:

Just saw the crash of the slovenian skier. Dude took the hill from the wrong angle, and wound up falling 5-6 metres. Best thing is though, no one bothered to help him and he had to pick up his skis and ski down. lol

Same thing happened with the woman slopestyler who faceplanted thursday, it took well over a minute for someone to check up on her when she was limping of the track in obvious pain. If you're going to make overly dangerous venues at least put more than one doctor along the track.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Nice loving Olympics.

Fauxtool posted:

Most interior doors are made of particle board and spit. Generally its the doors that lead to the outside being made of real wood.

Its not really an example of "russian construction"

No, but this particular door happens to be made of extremely cheap materials in an ongoing pattern of cheap and lovely materials with everything else.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Feb 8, 2014

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Spacedad posted:

Nice loving Olympics.

The seats were left empty for the athletes. I'm watching a replay of the opening right now after they had come in and been seated and the same camera angles showed those sections full.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Assuming that some people in this thread are into sports/olympics etc has there been such a horrible debacle of an olympics before or is this the first and last time?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ7bNeqdNgM

Food is the last thing I am concerned about.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

VelociBacon posted:

Assuming that some people in this thread are into sports/olympics etc has there been such a horrible debacle of an olympics before or is this the first and last time?

The summer Olympics are going to be in Brazil, so not the last time.

VirtualBalboa
Dec 25, 2012

:golfclap:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

Munich had a few issues.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Come to the Photoshop thread. You get it.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

The only thing that's been really awful relative to other Olympics has been the price tag, especially relative to the quality of what we've been getting. If the running tally had been less than half what it was, none of this would be that big a deal.

The Kins posted:

Munich had a few issues.

Well, that was well into the 2nd week of the Olympics.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

VelociBacon posted:

montreal had extreme debt that took 30 years to pay off

about half the countries didn't show up in moscow

atlanta had the bombing, plus the fact it was in atlanta

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone got a pic? Was it just a dude covered in offshore money

They came to the opening dressed in shorts and flip flops.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Zeluth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJ7bNeqdNgM

Food is the last thing I am concerned about.

Whats going on in the video? I tried watching it but only made it 10 seconds into "chick tries way too hard to look like she's funny".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Vertical Lime posted:

about half the countries didn't show up in moscow

To be fair, they had just launched a controversial unilateral intervention into Afghanistan. The Soviet Union and the other Warsaw Pact countries ended up doing a boycott of the next Olympics in Los Angeles in response to the 1980 Olympic boycott.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

VelociBacon posted:

Assuming that some people in this thread are into sports/Olympics etc has there been such a horrible debacle of an Olympics before or is this the first and last time?
With 24/7 media it's a bit hard to judge, any issue is immediately amplified.

One hangover has always been the cost.
Quebec didn't pay off their 2bn debt from 1976 until 2006. Nagano burnt their accounting documents to cover the costs, reportedly around 10b that won't be paid off till 2015.
Athens suffered as the failure to recoup costs helped it plunge into debt.

Most Olympics nowadays try to upgrade existing arenas or develop infrastructure that can be reused. But the growing level of spectacle is seriously challenging these ideas, leading to commercial saturation.

Germany in 1936 possibly has the closest parallels with Sochi such as the anti-semitic discrimination and Hitler having to promise that Jews from other nations would be allowed to compete, while banning some of their own countries top athletes.

Owing to the massive discomfort in hosting the games in a fascist nation, Spain was close to running a People's Olympiad that was scuppered with the outbreak of the civil war.

The boycotts over apartheid and Russian conflict during the 80's were one of the more notable issues during the Olympics history that had amusing repercussions, such as McDonalds having a promotional event where "If the US wins, you win" that cost them a fair bit when Russia boycotted and everyone loaded up on free food.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

isnt the only reason ford is in office because the suburbs of toronto were allowed to vote in the mayoral election?

why can't they fly both, it seems like the obvious thing to do

do they only have one flagpole

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

ChocNitty posted:

Am I the only one who watches the parade of nations just to see which country has the most fuckable women?

its czech republic every time

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Whoa, wasn't there riots in 1988 Seoul Olympics? I recall they were still a military dictatorship at the time and part of the reason they transitioned to a democratic government was because of the public relations nightmare that was forming around the games.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

^ I just know it helped legitimize South Korea.

Young Freud posted:

To be fair, they had just launched a controversial unilateral intervention into Afghanistan. The Soviet Union and the other Warsaw Pact countries ended up doing a boycott of the next Olympics in Los Angeles in response to the 1980 Olympic boycott.

Yeah, that's why. Then again, Los Angeles might have saved the Olympics from disarray given what happened in the previous few.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
drat, the women's Canadian hockey team is slaughtering the Swiss on the ice right now.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

MariusLecter posted:

drat, the women's Canadian hockey team is slaughtering the Swiss on the ice right now.

Don't worry the men's hockey team will get crushed by Russia and the United States to balance things out. Hockey really is the only thing interesting to watch, as a competitive sport, during the winter Olympics.

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp

Agrajag posted:

Don't worry the men's hockey team will get crushed by Russia and the United States to balance things out. Hockey really is the only thing interesting to watch, as a competitive sport, during the winter Olympics.

Curling, you loving monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cucktales Blogger posted:

Curling, you loving monster.

I CURL YOUR FACE INTO MY FIST! Then I'll force you to watch hockey like a normal person.

• Locked thread