Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Shadeoses posted:

The first attempt was like this:

1000.1.1={add_trait="strong"}

Which is consistent with other date entries, but didn't work. The effect clause is used to make religion and culture changes happen, so it may apply to something like traits.

That should work as is.

Example:
code:
1993 = {
	name = "Takaharu"
	dynasty = 339

culture = japanese
	religion = shinto

#father =

1288.11.26 = {
		birth = "1288.11.26"
		add_trait = "showa"
	}
	1318.3.29 = {
		name = "Daigo"
	}
	1339.9.18 = { 
		death = "1339.9.18" 
	}
}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
Tell me more about how vassals with an opinion of 80+ can't join and will drop out of the independence faction...this guy's been here for months at 100.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

ulmont posted:

Tell me more about how vassals with an opinion of 80+ can't join and will drop out of the independence faction...this guy's been here for months at 100.

They don't drop out if they have been coerced into it (by faction leader using the scheme mission from his spymaster). It lasts for 10 years.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ulmont posted:

That happens sometimes. Just buy off the leader if you can (which you should do since he started two factions) or the other members.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Tulip posted:

You can also create your own captive merchant republic if you aren't on the mediterranean.

I've never messed with creating a merchant republic vassal; why does the mediterranean thing matter?

Bloodly posted:

The AI tends to spend it's money on hunts and feasts and fairs whenever it has the money to. Church men spend on indulgences for Piety if possible, even if they're not actively giving their taxes to the Pope. So you'll have to build in their territories for them where you're able(As well as your own, of course), to raise their income, so they can actually do the rest without intervention, and pay more taxes, and so on. Effectively the worst part is early on where nothing's built and all income is low. You don't especially need to hunt/feast/whatever every year. The money is better spent increasing raw income.

My current game is illustrating that the AI often has giant piles of money lying around. In fact, it's pretty broken while doing the 'full tyrant' thing. Just go into a new area, Holy War until you have 51% and can grab a kingdom, and then grab the rest via regular du jure claims. While Holy War kicks everyone out and gives you every holding, regular du jure war leaves the barons and mayors in place, ripe for banishing.

This was by far the most I saw, but I'd say the average they seem to have lying around is 200-300 which adds up very quickly.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

monster on a stick posted:

That happens sometimes. Just buy off the leader if you can (which you should do since he started two factions) or the other members.

I was already scheming to drop the leader out, which eventually happened and took the problem guy out as well.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Nosre posted:

I've never messed with creating a merchant republic vassal; why does the mediterranean thing matter?
Becaue its already full of merchent republics though there is room for one in the eastern med/black sea, maybe Iberia or Morocco if Genoa or Pisa hasn't got there already

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nosre posted:

Competition. The default trade republics start in the Med so they'll usually already dominate the trade in that region by the time you stick your nose in there, unless you're willing to go to war to crush the competition and give your vassal republic room to expand their trade. The upside to having a vassal republic in the Med, though, is that my new vassal doge there just offered to pay me 200 gold to ally with them in an embargo war against their rivals. If you're big enough to crush the other merchant republics, go for it.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

It is also a good idea to create a vassal merchant republic in southern Spain, to lock out Mediterranean republics out of Atlantic, so that they don't spread. This presumes that there are no Gotland and Hansa.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

When do merchants appear in northern europe and how do you get one to build a port in your land? Because I'm always annoyed with how little money you get at the start of the game.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Robindaybird posted:

When do merchants appear in northern europe and how do you get one to build a port in your land? Because I'm always annoyed with how little money you get at the start of the game.

The trade practices tech is the main barrier to merchant republics in Northern Europe - you need at least level 2 (I think) to build any trade posts.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

chippocrates posted:

The trade practices tech is the main barrier to merchant republics in Northern Europe - you need at least level 2 (I think) to build any trade posts.

I think the AI need level 3

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Robindaybird posted:

Historical merchant republics? Gotland is there from 1066 start, and Hansa is from somewhere around mid 13th century start (I think there's a bookmark). Hansa also has a creation event if you start from earlier start date.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture: not actually deterministic. Compare the heir for Britannia and the heir for the Byzantine Empire, noting particularly the respective succession laws:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Is Ormr Born in the Purple?

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

ulmont posted:

Yes. In fact, there will usually be a line of priests charging into your desmense to convert you or your vassals. This is a great renewable source of cash (imprison, ransom) until you reform the pagan faith.

E: Also, if you send your heirs to the Varangian Guard at every opportunity, they will eventually get converted to Orthodoxy.

It would be nice if they had a Saint Vladimir type even though. That would be kinda cool.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I just started a game as a count in Nubia at the 867 start, with the vague goal of uniting all Christendom under the glory of the Coptic Pope.

Has anyone tried this? Any tips or pointers?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Jeoh posted:

Is Ormr Born in the Purple?

Nope. And whatever it is applies not just to the Byzantine Empire title, but also to the Counties of Constantinople and Thrace; if I destroy the Byzantine Empire title those are still headed to Ormr.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
Have you saved and reloaded the game? Sometimes people randomly get excluded from succession until you do that. It's a weird bug and I've no idea what causes it, but reloading fixes it (at least temporarily -- it has a habit of reappearing).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ulmont posted:

Agnatic-Cognatic Primogeniture: not actually deterministic. Compare the heir for Britannia and the heir for the Byzantine Empire, noting particularly the respective succession laws:

Does one of your other empires still have gavelkind?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

chippocrates posted:

Rumda posted:

I think the AI need level 3

Nope, just level 1, though you only get a single trade post until level 3+, barring manor upgrades. A Cather merchant republic started in Ireland in my Old Gods game (somehow), and already has trade posts despite only having like 1.2 in Trade Practices.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Allyn posted:

Have you saved and reloaded the game? Sometimes people randomly get excluded from succession until you do that. It's a weird bug and I've no idea what causes it, but reloading fixes it (at least temporarily -- it has a habit of reappearing).

No, it was serious about the Byzantine Empire running separately - although it turned out I was wrong about Constantinople and Thrace (they were only running with the Byzantine Empire title). Saved, reloaded, played until the ruler died, and the inheritance was tracing correctly.

Torrannor posted:

Does one of your other empires still have gavelkind?

Not for hundreds of years.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Aw man. Went marriage hunting for a bride - found a lovely quick and attractive lady of the right religion and bunch of nice traits... and she's the king's lover in the court so the King won't marry her off to me, and she won't join my court. Time to go stab a king and comfort the "widow"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Robindaybird posted:

Aw man. Went marriage hunting for a bride - found a lovely quick and attractive lady of the right religion and bunch of nice traits... and she's the king's lover in the court so the King won't marry her off to me, and she won't join my court. Time to go stab a king and comfort the "widow"

Send someone to have a "serious discussion" with the king. I hear that out of the way taverns that smell funky are best for this :ese:

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Disco Infiva posted:

Send someone to have a "serious discussion" with the king. I hear that out of the way taverns that smell funky are best for this :ese:

welp, nice a bunch of people hate him (he's slow, greedy, and managed to pop out a ton of little bastards and his wife's an ugly imbecile).

EDIT: Fuuuuuuuuck, my name got revealed in the manure explosion plot, so the new king hates me and since the king was kin, I got slapped with kinslayer.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Feb 8, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Fun fact: Catholic heresies can trigger Crusades and be targets of Crusades. And apparently it really tanks Catholicism's moral authority when a crusade against the Lollard Queen of East Francia fails and the Iberian kingdoms lose the entire peninsula to Umayyad holy wars. And Shiites have gotten basically no foothold, just a couple random baronies somewhere. Looks like this game's shaping up to be a slugfest between Sunni and Orthodox.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Robindaybird posted:

welp, nice a bunch of people hate him (he's slow, greedy, and managed to pop out a ton of little bastards and his wife's an ugly imbecile).

This will actually be a perfect opportunity for CK2+ kidnapping plots. Sadly they are not in the base game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'm building a Scandinavia blob and I'm terrified to notice that the Queen of Lotharingia and the King of East Francia are married and their son will inherit both kingdoms. The combined kingdom could actually kick my rear end.

Then I notice that the king-to-be is a Lollard heretic. :getin:

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
The Knights of Santiago in my game just swatted away the aztec hoards in Iberia and then mongol hoards in Jerusalem like it ain't no thang. :stare:

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
Is there a way for your vassal republics to pull from outside their realm for designated heirs?

Example: when I made my first vassal republic I made my own son (or was it brother?) the Lord Mayor, so my dynasty could control it most of the time. It's now been a few hundred years, could the current doge choose one of my children to be the successor to the republic?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

hellsjudge posted:

Is there a way for your vassal republics to pull from outside their realm for designated heirs?

Example: when I made my first vassal republic I made my own son (or was it brother?) the Lord Mayor, so my dynasty could control it most of the time. It's now been a few hundred years, could the current doge choose one of my children to be the successor to the republic?

I don't believe so, I think you can only give an honorary title to a vassal or member of your own court, and since your kids are not either of these in respect of the patrician the title could not be given. However, if one of your sons ended up in the court of the doge, I think that son could conceivably be given the title.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010

Reveilled posted:

I don't believe so, I think you can only give an honorary title to a vassal or member of your own court, and since your kids are not either of these in respect of the patrician the title could not be given. However, if one of your sons ended up in the court of the doge, I think that son could conceivably be given the title.

I'll see if I can fenangle some way to get him in there.

e: Forgot there's no matrilineal marriage in republics, god drat it.

hellsjudge fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 8, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Robindaybird posted:

If this is the Old Gods game start and her lover is one of the Karling kings then she is an actual historic person.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Torrannor posted:

If this is the Old Gods game start and her lover is one of the Karling kings then she is an actual historic person.

doesn't said king only have a bunch of bastard kids from her, making his realm pass on to his brother (also a king)? might be bad idea to stab him.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

ulmont posted:

No, it was serious about the Byzantine Empire running separately - although it turned out I was wrong about Constantinople and Thrace (they were only running with the Byzantine Empire title). Saved, reloaded, played until the ruler died, and the inheritance was tracing correctly.

Not for hundreds of years.
Crown authority different? Maybe there's an interaction with Ormr already owning land that's considered outside Britannia.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

lurksion posted:

Crown authority different? Maybe there's an interaction with Ormr already owning land that's considered outside Britannia.

Nope; both empires and kingdoms (Greece, Mesopotamia) were high.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

hellsjudge posted:

I'll see if I can fenangle some way to get him in there.

e: Forgot there's no matrilineal marriage in republics, god drat it.

What about granting the son a barony then transferring the vassal relationship for the barony to the republic? The barony might need to be in the de jure area of the republic, but you can check with your current baron vassals before trying.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Reveilled posted:

What about granting the son a barony then transferring the vassal relationship for the barony to the republic? The barony might need to be in the de jure area of the republic, but you can check with your current baron vassals before trying.

I don't think you can designate someone with feudal titles as a heir. And I haven't played a republic in ages, but I don't think that they can revoke titles (to put the son in republic court).

EDIT: But a city might work :eng101:
And yes, you can only transfer vassalage if its in their de jure region.

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 8, 2014

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Disco Infiva posted:

I don't think you can designate someone with feudal titles as a heir. And I haven't played a republic in ages, but I don't think that they can revoke titles (to put the son in republic court).

EDIT: But a city might work :eng101:
And yes, you can only transfer vassalage if its in their de jure region.

I know this is definitely true for counts and dukes, but I could swear that on occasions where I have been looking to transfer vassalage of a count to a duke, the list also pops up with pretty much every single one of my barons, so I think there are different rules for them for some bizarre no reason. I'll check later this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Reveilled posted:

I know this is definitely true for counts and dukes, but I could swear that on occasions where I have been looking to transfer vassalage of a count to a duke, the list also pops up with pretty much every single one of my barons, so I think there are different rules for them for some bizarre no reason. I'll check later this evening.

Yeah, now that you mentioned it I think you are right. Barons do have different rules. :paradox:

• Locked thread