Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

GreenNight posted:

I'm flying out for vacation on Sunday and a little bit ago I got an email from a lady in HR saying her PC is slow. I have auto reply on my Outlook saying I'm out until the 17th. She then replied to my auto-reply saying I need to get it done before I leave.

Fat loving chance.

I forwarded it to my boss and he replied that he is going to show it to the HR director on Monday about her unprofessionalism and that his employees deserve an uninterrupted vacation. She does this poo poo all the time, gently caress her so hard.

If you're on leave why did you even do that much? In theory you won't see it until next week!

I like to email when I'm back saying 'I see you had this issue, did someone resolve it for you while I was away?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
Had a customer log a ticket and he has written his own instructions on how he should be addressed which he helpfully pastes into every update. Gems like,

We are not friends - do not use 'Hi'
You will refer to me using my full title Mr Cxxxxx Dxxxxx
Do not use 'Thanks' we are not close
Do not phone me

You would think updates like these would result in a low priority response, but its actually the opposite as now everyone wants to see what more rules he'll invent.

On an unrelated issue one of my non-native English speaking team members helpfully told the team that if the customer didn't reply he would bugger him again. I hope he meant 'bug him again' but you never know with Germans.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I hope everyone starts emails to him with "hi buddy" and ends them with "k? thanx bye"

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
OK, I'm finally going to have to ask: what does MSP stand for? Google comes up with a billion different definitions.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Baconroll posted:

"Wanna bet?"

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

rolleyes posted:

OK, I'm finally going to have to ask: what does MSP stand for? Google comes up with a billion different definitions.

Managed Services Provider

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

angry armadillo posted:

If you're on leave why did you even do that much? In theory you won't see it until next week!

I like to email when I'm back saying 'I see you had this issue, did someone resolve it for you while I was away?'

Yeah I know. I should have, but if it's an easy fix I try to assist, even if it's an hour after I leave the office.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Baconroll posted:

Had a customer log a ticket and he has written his own instructions on how he should be addressed which he helpfully pastes into every update. Gems like,

Do not phone me

What the gently caress valediction am I supposed to use besides Thanks? Respectfully? That dude SUCKS. The only person in my whole building who insists on being on a last name basis with me is a first year :allears:

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Roargasm posted:

What the gently caress valediction am I supposed to use besides Thanks? Respectfully? That dude SUCKS. The only person in my whole building who insists on being on a last name basis with me is a first year :allears:

No salutation no valediction. Why waste time on assholes.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Roargasm posted:

I was taught to use "Sincerely" as a valediction in letters to people I don't know well, so sometimes I use that. Other times, I just use "Thanks."

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Roargasm posted:

Hey Buddy!

Take care bro,

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

PurpleButterfly posted:

I was taught to use "Sincerely" as a valediction in letters to people I don't know well, so sometimes I use that. Other times, I just use "Thanks."

Kind regards, or just regards, is de rigeur here (here being the NHS).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just type V/R. I don't know what it means, but everyone else uses it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

tarbrush posted:

No salutation no valediction. Why waste time on assholes.

Dear Sir or Madam,

Very Sincerely Yours,

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Cojawfee posted:

I just type V/R. I don't know what it means, but everyone else uses it.

Very respectfully,

Message sent from my iPhone.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GreenNight posted:

Hey Buddy!

Take care bro,

You're not my buddy, guy

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009
There's a SEO "service"/spammer that frequently blasts an advertisement to my work email (and a few of my coworkers), and every time the email opens with "Dear Sir and/or Madam."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Gotta cover all the bases.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

We have a little competition around the office for our email valedictions. The best I've seen yet is "Govern Yourselves Accordingly".

I occasionally sign mine "Yours in Christ".

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I wonder if that guy is German? Apparently Germans are very particular about email, and we have a similar list of cultural rules (never say thanks, always use "Dear Full Name" in the email, use Regards as a signature).

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Bhodi posted:

I wonder if that guy is German? Apparently Germans are very particular about email, and we have a similar list of cultural rules (never say thanks, always use "Dear Full Name" in the email, use Regards as a signature).
And God help you if you forget or don't know that the person is a doctor. I've gotten so many "It's Herr DOKTOR Mustermann, and don't you forget that!!!1!!"

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Sailor_Spoon posted:

We have a little competition around the office for our email valedictions. The best I've seen yet is "Govern Yourselves Accordingly".

I occasionally sign mine "Yours in Christ".

Yr obt svt,

Double duty as 19th century formal English AND as lazy-as-gently caress 21st century American txt msg.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

JazzmasterCurious posted:

And God help you if you forget or don't know that the person is a doctor. I've gotten so many "It's Herr DOKTOR Mustermann, and don't you forget that!!!1!!"

Ugh, one of my clients is a school board in the Atlanta area. A few if the principals have their doctorate in education, and lord help you if you don't refer to them as DOCTOR whoever.

I've never seen that reaction in Canada.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"Dr. Evil. I didn't spend 6 years in evil medical school to be called mister, thank you very much."

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Ugh, one of my clients is a school board in the Atlanta area. A few if the principals have their doctorate in education, and lord help you if you don't refer to them as DOCTOR whoever.

I've never seen that reaction in Canada.

Oddly, most of the doctors I work with aren't that picky about their titles over email.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Caged posted:

You're not my buddy, guy

You're not my guy, pal!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

tarbrush posted:

Oddly, most of the doctors I work with aren't that picky about their titles over email.
Most competent, secure people aren't. You could always tell the new guys because they'd address everyone in the department with their title, and occasionally someone would reply "Who's Dr. So-and-so? Oh, you mean Bill!" Getting poo poo done is what impressed those people, not letters before or after your name. The only exception was newly-minted doctors and conferences open to the public.

Obviously you need to make allowances for cultural differences, but only insecure people cling to titles or chase after doctorates as a destination and not just a step to doing what they really want.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Potato Alley posted:

You're not my guy, pal!

You're not my pal, friend!

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

Volmarias posted:

You're not my pal, friend!

You're not my friend, acquaintance!

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Baconroll posted:

Do not phone me

You would think updates like these would result in a low priority response, but its actually the opposite as now everyone wants to see what more rules he'll invent.

On an unrelated issue one of my non-native English speaking team members helpfully told the team that if the customer didn't reply he would bugger him again. I hope he meant 'bug him again' but you never know with Germans.
Don't phone him? Who is this guy? I can't believe someone like this exists. Is his full title "Supreme Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Users Cxxxxx Dxxxx"?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

KoRMaK posted:

Don't phone him? Who is this guy? I can't believe someone like this exists. Is his full title "Supreme Leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Users Cxxxxx Dxxxx"?

When you're that up your own rear end, you perceive the world and everybody in it in, shall we say, a different light.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Westie posted:

You're not my friend, acquaintance!

You're not my acquaintance, janitor.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Roargasm posted:

I think the rule for valedictions to a person you haven't met is "Faithfully," but gently caress that guy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Speaking of names, I had kind of a funny request from a client this week. A guy wanted his e-mail name changed because apparently, it looked "too much like a woman's first name" and his co-workers were teasing him about it (they normally use first initial, last name @ company.com for their addresses). I went ahead and changed it, but seriously...changing your e-mail because your co-workers are making fun of you? :lol:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think the rule for valedictions to a person you haven't met is "Faithfully," but gently caress that guy.

I think I read something like that somewhere, but this seems like a rule from like the early 19th century. Who talks like that? "Thank you" (instead of "thanks") should work, no? Or I guess "sincerely"? I just sign every email with "Thanks", gently caress ya'll :cool:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Ozz81 posted:

Speaking of names, I had kind of a funny request from a client this week. A guy wanted his e-mail name changed because apparently, it looked "too much like a woman's first name" and his co-workers were teasing him about it (they normally use first initial, last name @ company.com for their addresses). I went ahead and changed it, but seriously...changing your e-mail because your co-workers are making fun of you? :lol:

Mister Steve Lutz would beg to differ :colbert:

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
It took almost 10 hours to move and get everything situated, but my cable and internet are hooked up and my new furniture looks awesome. My friend/former roommate concentrated on hooking up my new speakers and head unit so that I could enjoy my 55" TV and stream movies from my media server from the get-go. Now I just need to go out and buy some other essentials and I will be loving golden.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Had to rename a user to 'elopes' after she got married. We had a good laugh about that one.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

We had a David Ickers and management denied his request to change his email from dickers@company.com. Although now it's firstname.lastname@company.com as the default email.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Roargasm posted:

gg next ticket

• Locked thread