Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
My lvl 34 crappy geared rogue is having a hell of a time getting groups, but I REALLY don't want to start from the bottom floor again with a more solo-friendly class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I found groups getting pretty thin in those levels on my SK as well, so it's not just you. CE groups in MM will still be decent XP for a few levels, so you might try those. People group in OT/FM and occasionally Droga as well. It sucks that LGuk and SolB are mostly dead these days because those are both great XP for mid 30s well into your late 40s. SolB window and Royals groups especially used to be a staple but I haven't seen one in a long time. You could also try joining up with one of the leveling guilds like <Knights Who Say Ni> or whoever else looks decent in the guild forums on the p99 site.

Rymos
Jan 31, 2014
I've been playing a druid for awhile--currently grinding the raptors in TD. It's pretty good solo exp, though my favorite experience thus far was in MM...lovely zone.

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"

JohnnyDangerously posted:

My lvl 34 crappy geared rogue is having a hell of a time getting groups, but I REALLY don't want to start from the bottom floor again with a more solo-friendly class.

I'd say it gets better, but the soloing jealousy only gets worse.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
The aviaks in Lake Rathe is my new favorite solo camp. On a necro, I gained about 3% per kill, have merchants to sell to in the zone, and can fear kite without adds. Lovely.

I want to take my 9 cleric to KC for some Jarsath drops and eventually make it to Kurn's. Wonder if I could solo down there..

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Oh man, the cries of sacrilege and RMT from the posting populace.

That said, I will say that things are getting really weird. This pantheon thing came out of nowhere (EXP potions????), and the raid rotations just prior to that.

Maybe next will be banner ads in Freeport.

It's their server, so... whatever.

moolchaba fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 3, 2014

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Im going to assume hes getting a cut of whatever portions come from P99 players. Nothing else makes any sense.

I dont blame the guy though. I would want a poo poo ton of money to deal with this server.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

TouchToneDialing posted:

Im going to assume hes getting a cut of whatever portions come from P99 players. Nothing else makes any sense.

I dont blame the guy though. I would want a poo poo ton of money to deal with this server.

You're joking right?

Why do people think he's getting an actual cut? That's so loving stupid. Put down the tin foil hats. He's supporting a project he's stoked about, ran by someone who is the reason his entire server exists.

He's not getting a cut, good lord people.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

xZAOx posted:

You're joking right?

Why do people think he's getting an actual cut? That's so loving stupid. Put down the tin foil hats. He's supporting a project he's stoked about, ran by someone who is the reason his entire server exists.

He's not getting a cut, good lord people.

Him getting paid to advertise and drum up funds for the new game makes way more sense than doing it because he appreciates Brad. It happens all the time in the real world. If hes doing it out of the goodness of his heart then good for him but its a wasted opportunity. Brad is raising money for a business not some charity.

Pantheon knows it needs all the help it can get, there is a very good chance it wont reach its goal on the initial kick starter.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Actually, it makes total sense that he/they (Rog, Nilbog, etc) would idolize Brad because of the years of dedication to the restoration of EQ classic. It's their homage to their hero.

I mean, they gave him Aradune to log into. This is pure hero worship in the truest sense.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
It still seems kinda questionable, legality wise. They can't charge directly for anything to do with p99 because it's sony's intellectual property, but they are rewarding people with items and early velious access (both sony's intellectual property) in exchange for donations to a competitor of SOE?

Doesn't bother me any either way, though I'd be sad to see anything happen to p99, but I bet sony legal has gotten a looooot of emails about this already from the really determined p99 haters. Maybe I'm just missing something, though.

TouchToneDialing
Jul 21, 2006

Victory Lap posted:

It still seems kinda questionable, legality wise. They can't charge directly for anything to do with p99 because it's sony's intellectual property, but they are rewarding people with items and early velious access (both sony's intellectual property) in exchange for donations to a competitor of SOE?

Doesn't bother me any either way, though I'd be sad to see anything happen to p99, but I bet sony legal has gotten a looooot of emails about this already from the really determined p99 haters. Maybe I'm just missing something, though.

All sorts of servers get around this with "donations".

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I understand they want to help their idol, but I don't endorse the idea.

I'm not totally sold on putting money into the kickstarter at this point. 2017 is a long ways off (and will turn into 2018).

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
When you apply for an ip exemption, are you giving them your eqemulator account name or your loginserver account name? I feel like this should be obvious

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure it's loginserver account name, but someone who has actually applied for an IP exemption could confirm this.

Feel free to be as cynical as you want, but it's incredibly unlikely that the P99 devs would be at all interested in cash kickbacks via advertising for the Pantheon kickstarter. If they're getting any kind of kickbacks it's likely going to take the form of a high tier backer style reward: input on Pantheon's development, getting to name a city/item/mob/NPC, that kind of stuff.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

JohnnyDangerously posted:

When you apply for an ip exemption, are you giving them your eqemulator account name or your loginserver account name? I feel like this should be obvious

I just gave them both and specified what each one was. Also if you are applying for a fresh account, be sure that there is at least one character created on that account. I applied so that my fiance and I could play together, but we had only set up her account and not yet created a character. Apparently there needs to be a character on the account for their exemption magic to work. That should be all you need to do.

Zerotheos
Jan 2, 2005
Z
Anyone around level 10 that wants to group? Also looking to buy some cheap SHM gear, have about 80pp to spend. My in game name is Titor.

ohno
Sep 11, 2001

I think Rogean wants to get into the MMO development community and this promotion is little more than him buddying up with Brad McQuaid. Getting a great connection out of the free-to-play P1999 seems like a fair trade, tho I will only be donating a small amount to show my support for the genius in Brad McQuaid games.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

Zerotheos posted:

Anyone around level 10 that wants to group? Also looking to buy some cheap SHM gear, have about 80pp to spend. My in game name is Titor.

I think your best bet around that price is probably a set of banded armor and a beetle stinger. If you see me on as Daxiangmao or Youmingtuo send me a tell. I'll help out as best I can.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll
Hit 57 with my Druid, which is officially higher level than I'd ever reached on Live. Raptors become pretty much 75% light blues, so I took my first trip to the Permafrost bear pits. The experience is as good as advertised, so much so that I wish I'd come down here two levels earlier. I might actually hit 60 sometime soon.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Gratz on surpassing live achievements :D

The bear pits are awesome, especially since there's not many other spots for a druid to solo to 60. Great for any other root-rotter or fear-kiter as well.

Buane
Nov 28, 2005

When all are one and one is all
To be a rock and not to roll

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Gratz on surpassing live achievements :D

The bear pits are awesome, especially since there's not many other spots for a druid to solo to 60. Great for any other root-rotter or fear-kiter as well.

The pathing down there is the worst I've ever seen bar none. It's so bad that it actually helps a ton when charm breaks, since you can run 10 feet away and just recast while the mob attempts to zig-zag towards you.

That said, I'd still be really afraid of the carnage a fear-kiter could run into with that pathing. Plus I've been down there for like 5 hours and already found a dozen spots where if a mob is standing you get "cannot see your target" unless you go stand on top of it yourself.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
It definitely takes trial and error doing fear kiting down there, but once you find the good spots, you just drag your mob over to them and it pretty much gets stuck ping ponging around trying to run away. I know Moolchaba did some fearkiting there as an SK and I've known other SKs to do it as well (Necros are better off in HS). If poo poo goes south you can always FD!

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi
Anyone able to hop on for a minute in Cabilis to do a transfer for me? I just ran my Barbarian over to the LOIO gates and I have a bunch of gear for my baby lizard Necro. I'm on as Youmingtuo right now.

e: A guild invite for my lizard would be nice too.

a_young_doctor
Aug 11, 2007

this is africa
i have a ton of old platinum laying around, if someone is interested in buying some shoot me a pm and we can talk.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

truavatar posted:

Anyone able to hop on for a minute in Cabilis to do a transfer for me? I just ran my Barbarian over to the LOIO gates and I have a bunch of gear for my baby lizard Necro. I'm on as Youmingtuo right now.

e: A guild invite for my lizard would be nice too.
Just saw this and hopped on, but I must have missed you. I'll be around sporadically today and tomorrow if you don't catch another goon to help with this (check with /w all 'unknown guild' - make sure you put the guild name in quotes or it won't work).

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

MVerlie posted:

i have a ton of old platinum laying around, if someone is interested in buying some shoot me a pm and we can talk.

Ralph pls go.

Victory Lap fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 8, 2014

Bwee
Jul 1, 2005
I don't want to purchase any plat since I don't want to get banned but I'll gladly take some free plat

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bwee posted:

I don't want to purchase any plat since I don't want to get banned but I'll gladly take some free plat

This.

truavatar
Mar 3, 2004

GIS Jedi

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Just saw this and hopped on, but I must have missed you. I'll be around sporadically today and tomorrow if you don't catch another goon to help with this (check with /w all 'unknown guild' - make sure you put the guild name in quotes or it won't work).

Ah, cool. My brother ended up being able to help me with the transfer. Next time someone is on around Kunark I'll get my lizard guilded.

iNteg
Dec 17, 2007

MVerlie posted:

:frogout:

Arakan
May 10, 2008

After some persuasion, Fluttershy finally opens up, and Twilight's more than happy to oblige in doing her best performance as a nice, obedient wolf-puppy.

Bwee posted:

You're not gonna get banned for buying plat

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Anyone on red still have characters to level?

I've got a fungus staff but soloing is so loving boring, shoot me a message if you want to duo, got a few different chars...43 rog/52 monk/55 enc.

I'm also thinking about rolling a cleric, and probably would if I can convince a couple new people to give the server a whirl, or roll a new char for dat holy trinity.

Give it a shot if you're on the fence/getting bored with blue, it can really up the excitement level in EQ. Even if you don't want to be a PK'er, the potential of it can really ramp up the intensity, and narrowly shaking a pursuer can be a rush in its own right.

Some of the more under-utilized parts of EQ suddenly take on new meaning too, it's fun using the environment to your advantage.

For example, in OOT I used to row the little boats out in the middle of the ocean so I could meditate in relative peace, if there were no known trackers in zone.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Feb 9, 2014

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011
Just got the game setup again on my pc/laptop, kinda stoked to play again. Any suggestions on a duo for me and someone who has never played before? I was thinking iksar SK / monk could be fun, but I wouldn't mind starting out in the original zones too (since I know them better).

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

krylon666 posted:

Just got the game setup again on my pc/laptop, kinda stoked to play again. Any suggestions on a duo for me and someone who has never played before? I was thinking iksar SK / monk could be fun, but I wouldn't mind starting out in the original zones too (since I know them better).

Play whatever you like, but that particular duo is slightly redundant. Swap one of the melee out for a shaman and you've got a party.

Enchanters and necros are also stupid-good, and bring excellent utility to a duo. Necro is also a good intro to the game from the caster side of things, lots of get out of jail free cards.

SilvergunSuperman fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 9, 2014

Sagnid
Jul 8, 2009
Everquest sounds fun. Just started as a Iksar Necromancer if anyone is looking for a casual leveling partner.

krylon666
Nov 7, 2011

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Play whatever you like, but that particular duo is slightly redundant. Swap one of the melee out for a shaman and you've got a party.

Enchanters and necros are also stupid-good, and bring excellent utility to a duo. Necro is also a good intro to the game from the caster side of things, lots of get out of jail free cards.

Thanks for the input, we started up as Monk / Shaman (my gf is the monk - figured it was more straight forward) and kicked the poo poo out of skeletons and scorpions for hours last night. Definitely had a good time. I'm still pissed I can't find my other loginserver password.. had a few characters on there with names I liked hah.

Still not decided on what class I want to play when I'm playing solo. Was thinking of enchanter or necro, but I made a half elf bard the other night and was having some low level fun. Found out the hard way you need to turn off that damage song when you're near guards!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

krylon666 posted:

I made a half elf bard the other night and was having some low level fun. Found out the hard way you need to turn off that damage song when you're near guards!
Hahaha, well done :D

Regarding monk/shaman, you guys should both mess around with both classes. Monk definitely starts out easier as you really just need to autoattack and press one other button, but once you get mend, FD, disciplines, and need to worry about pulling and splitting mobs, there's a lot more obtuse game mechanics to master if you want to be getting the most out of the class. I mean, shaman has a lot of spells to worry about eventually, but they don't really start out with much. You have marginal stat buffs, bad heals, worse nukes, junk DOTs, and worthless slows for quite some time.

So yeah, good call on who plays what to get things going, but you might end up wanting to change it up.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
I have a 9 gnome cleric. Anyone have some cheap wisdom gear laying around? I have about 3-4k to spend, and Bronze is too heavy to wear (lol)

Get at me - Skullmonkey

Also, where should I level from 9-12? Crushbone is always poo poo-packed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

krylon666 posted:

Thanks for the input, we started up as Monk / Shaman (my gf is the monk - figured it was more straight forward) and kicked the poo poo out of skeletons and scorpions for hours last night. Definitely had a good time. I'm still pissed I can't find my other loginserver password.. had a few characters on there with names I liked hah.

Still not decided on what class I want to play when I'm playing solo. Was thinking of enchanter or necro, but I made a half elf bard the other night and was having some low level fun. Found out the hard way you need to turn off that damage song when you're near guards!

I haven't played on the P99 server in many months, but a shaman during classic-era EQ was in my opinion one of the most powerful and sought after classes. It is welcome in nearly every group, duo's extremely well with a monk and once you hit 24 (for regen/canni1 combo) you can start your solo career. With my shaman I pretty much root/rotted my way to 60 from there.

Also a level 60 shaman gets some of the most game-breaking powerful spells there are. Torpor anyone?

• Locked thread