Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Captain Trips posted:

I walked out my door today with the intention of stopping at a place on campus which supposedly has great gyros (Buckeye Donuts near Ohio State), because I've never had Greek food before and I want to finally broaden my horizons. Before I left the house, though, I got online to see what's "traditional" on a gyro, so I could be sure to get the right condiments for the best representation of what it should taste like.

In the process of this, I found out what tzatziki is, and I managed to be totally turned off of the idea. I went to Cane's and got chicken fingers instead.

A) Am I a terrible foodie?

Inasmuch as you are capable of asking questions without being insufferable, I'd say no on that account, but yes on account of chickening out of something you've never even tasted and which does not involve anything...novel.

Captain Trips posted:

B) What does that sauce actually taste like?

Fresh, acidic, cucumber, garlic, delicious.

Captain Trips posted:

C) I want to try other ethnic foods, like Indian and Korean and Thai, but I have no idea where to start.

Ask around, go to places where Indian and Korean and Thai nationals and expats like to go, be a daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Oracle posted:

Name me some good vegetable side dishes to serve with Jamaican jerked chicken (no starches don't count).

Deep fried plantains, halved and then quartered again. You can even make them like tostones if you wish but I suspect that's more Cuban/Dominican.

Cabbage and carrot, shredded and stir-fried with salt (add salt first so the cabbage starts shedding water), scotch bonnet, thyme, black pepper and garlic...vinegar at the end...I dunno, look it up. It's just a simple, sour, hot cabbage and carrot dish that's sautéed according to preference, it's traditional with jerk. Very good, I love cabbage in any shape so I might be partial.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

KWC posted:

This is the best way to get dry spices stuck to nuts in my opinion. I like it with a tiny bit of sugar and a tsp of water per egg white per 1-2 lbs of nuts. get the egg whit and water a little frothy, dump in (roasted and cooled) nuts, coat evenly, toss in spices, roast again to dry out coating.

I like this idea! I tried a honey method based on a recommendation from a previous post, but found it didn't work well with the flavouring I wanted (I like more of a salty/spicey taste than sugary).

Z. Beeblebrox
Jul 10, 2003

Fra-gi-lay...It's Italian!
I've recently gotten into baking and confectionery work and so I've been blowing through parchment paper which I hate because it's not reusable or recyclable. I like to do meringue cookies and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something which is more environmentally friendly than parchment paper but will give me the same results. From what I was reading, silpats are less than ideal because the cookies don't cook up the same but I'm not sure really what else to use.

Squirrel Burger
Jul 19, 2011

nobody likes a rotten pumbo
I'm throwing a party for about 65 people in March, I'll be bartending the whole time but also want to make some hors d'oeuvres on a tight budget. I'll have two hours to prep in the kitchen prior to the event. Any recipes for small munchables that are quick to make in batches and are usually a big hit? I'd rather have something cooler than pub mix in bowls, but I'll make due with what I can.

WhoIsYou
Jan 28, 2009

Z. Beeblebrox posted:

I've recently gotten into baking and confectionery work and so I've been blowing through parchment paper which I hate because it's not reusable or recyclable. I like to do meringue cookies and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for something which is more environmentally friendly than parchment paper but will give me the same results. From what I was reading, silpats are less than ideal because the cookies don't cook up the same but I'm not sure really what else to use.

You can buy unbleached, silicon coated parchment paper like these. They're safe to compost. Also, if you buy your parchment by the roll, save yourself a huge headache and cut up several rolls to fit the pans you use. Then sandwich them between sheet trays for a couple weeks. They'll flatten out and you won't have to deal with the paper curling up every time you use it.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
I want a good, easy bread for peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches for my zoo trip this wednesday, any good suggestions?

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Capsaicin posted:

I'm going to make Nashville Hot Chicken tonight. Since it seems like recipes are relatively hard to come by since they're extraordinarily safeguarded, I was going to run this by you guys before I try to do something and it turn out terrible.

I have two chicken thighs soaking in buttermilk with cayenne pepper right now. I'm going to roll that around in about 6 hours in flour with garlic powder and more cayenne and salt.

I have two options at this point for my frying. I have lard and vegetable oil, and I just got a new deep fryer. I already have a cast iron skillet and a high rimmed cast iron thing. I've never actually made "fried" chicken before, so I'm not sure the best option on this. :confused:

I also am just gonna make a paste out of lard, cayenne, raw garlic, black pepper, and maybe something else? Whatever looks good. Maybe add pickle juice? I dunno.

So yeah, has anyone here made Nashville Hot Chicken and know how to do it up right?

Yeah you're pretty much on the right track. Some places don't do a buttermilk brine but do a dry marinade, but buttermilk will be good too. Adding some paprika would be good for your paste too, but it's basically a bunch of spices in an unknown proportion. Also use much much more cayenne pepper than you think you should.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm making a cornbeef hash, what spices should I throw in it? I'm thinking cumin for a start, though I genuinely don't know.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Senior Scarybagels posted:

I want a good, easy bread for peanut butter and apple butter sandwiches for my zoo trip this wednesday, any good suggestions?

How about some generic 'Amish sandwich bread' recipe?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squirrel Burger posted:

I'm throwing a party for about 65 people in March, I'll be bartending the whole time but also want to make some hors d'oeuvres on a tight budget. I'll have two hours to prep in the kitchen prior to the event. Any recipes for small munchables that are quick to make in batches and are usually a big hit? I'd rather have something cooler than pub mix in bowls, but I'll make due with what I can.

Deviled eggs, swedish meatballs can both be made beforehand and stored.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I'm making a cornbeef hash, what spices should I throw in it? I'm thinking cumin for a start, though I genuinely don't know.

Traditionally, nothing. So just go hogwild with whatever you think will taste good at the moment. Maybe caraway? I don't know! It's a corned beef hash adventure!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, salt and pepper. Hash is more of a technique then a flavor profile.

Squirrel Burger posted:

As mentioned, Swedish meatballs are always a hit. Another thing that large groups seem to like is chunks of kielbasa in a crockpot with BBQ sauce or chili/grape jelly sauce.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Traditionally, nothing. So just go hogwild with whatever you think will taste good at the moment. Maybe caraway? I don't know! It's a corned beef hash adventure!

I'm probably going with cumin and caraway and maybe a pinch of mustard powder then. I've realized I have too many spices to ever make anything plain.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Master_Odin posted:

So what's the best site to use when looking for recipes (and by that, I mean I'd like it to just sort of give me good recipes to make and eat) for someone that is really new to cooking (the extent of what I make now is pan-searing/broiling some meat, boiling some frozen vegtables, and using a rice cooker) and wants to get better and doesn't have tons of time to make food either.

I've found good stuff over on BudgetBytes. Lot's of easy stuff.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Another question I am interested in starting to make more middle eastern cuisine, is there a good site that gives a good fairly basic introduction to cooking from that region?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I tried poaching chicken for the first time earlier this week, and while it technically was edible, it was a bit rubbery. I was cooking one breast in just water, salt, and some chicken bouillon. I put the chicken in the water, heated to a boil, flipped the chicken, then took it off heat and covered it for 10 minutes. What should I adjust to fix the texture?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey, so I have a couple pounds of pork shoulder chunks that I'd had in the freezer for a while (abandoned chili attempt--got pepper juice in the eye :pwn: ).

Any advice on what to do with it? I was thinking some kind of stew (since it's already chunked and it was frozen) but I haven't found any good recipes.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
What dark chocolate bars do you guys like? Something that can be ordered for someone on Valentine's day :) I hope this is the right place to ask!

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Mr. Fowl posted:

Hey, so I have a couple pounds of pork shoulder chunks that I'd had in the freezer for a while (abandoned chili attempt--got pepper juice in the eye :pwn: ).

Any advice on what to do with it? I was thinking some kind of stew (since it's already chunked and it was frozen) but I haven't found any good recipes.

Chile Verde? Or try carnitas. Whatever you do, you'll want to cook slowly for a long time to make them tender.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

mich posted:

Yeah you're pretty much on the right track. Some places don't do a buttermilk brine but do a dry marinade, but buttermilk will be good too. Adding some paprika would be good for your paste too, but it's basically a bunch of spices in an unknown proportion. Also use much much more cayenne pepper than you think you should.

It turned out okay, but I probably should have used a lot more cayenne like you said. I used sugar and salt in the paste too, hoping that would thicken it up but it just didn't gloop on like I hoped it would. :(

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

What dark chocolate bars do you guys like? Something that can be ordered for someone on Valentine's day :) I hope this is the right place to ask!

Endangered Species Extreme Dark is good, if you're looking for really dark chocolate.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

RazorBunny posted:

Endangered Species Extreme Dark is good, if you're looking for really dark chocolate.

Thanks, I'll add that to my list

Kritzkrieg Kop fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 8, 2014

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Mast bros. They do bean to bar and they own.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Last chocolate I was into was Green & Black, but I don't know if that was just because it was so much better than what I had before.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

For a proper aficionado, I would suggest trying to track down some stone-ground chocolate, like Taza. It's properly delicious and a little bit unusual, making it great for a gift. I've not had chocolate like it before, it's really great stuff!

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
So I have a rack of lamb, but it's not your typical french cut rack, it's this.

So far my plan is to use this recipe I found by googling: A Primal Rack Of Lamb With Cumin And Honey.

If anyone knows/has ideas for other recipes I'm all ears, but with the caveat that I have very basic cooking skills and equally basic cooking equipment.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

https://www.chocomize.com

Aerofallosov
Oct 3, 2007

Friend to Fishes. Just keep swimming.
So, if I wanted to make tortilla soup and have chicken, should I use chicken stock/broth or is it okay to use veggie? I have beans, corn, green onions to go with it. And spices (of course).

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Great picks, thanks guys

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I bought a carbon steel pan recently (It's pretty much a really flat wok). It's unseasoned, but how much do I need to clean it before I season it? I gave it a good soap and scrub to remove the oil stuff it had on, but it's still fairly dark. In the center of the pan, water doesn't bead anymore, which I take to be a sign that it's pretty well & clean, but it's still way darker than I expected. There's also splotches of darker areas and lighter areas. Should I scrub it more? Heat it up? I'd give a picture but it's really hard to photograph dark things like that.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone have a suggestion on a good chicken enchilada recipe?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Z. Beeblebrox posted:

Silicon doesn't really let things touching it brown it doesn't transfer the heat of the pan to the product.
For something like a meringue cookie you don't want a lot of browning anyways.
Parchment on rolls is expensive to buy at the grocery store, if you look online you can order the large flat boxes. You have to cut the sheets in 1/2 to fit 1/2 sheet pans but it's still better than trying to flatten rolled parchment. Find a couple other baking buddies and split the cost of a box.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

Transmogrifier posted:

Anyone have a suggestion on a good chicken enchilada recipe?

I'm a fan of enchiladas verdes. Poach a pound or so of chicken in some chicken broth with sauteed onion and garlic and toasted cumin. If you poach extra chicken you can save that and the extra broth to make tortilla soup later. After the chicken cools, shred it up. Can also roast chicken and shred.

Make salsa verde by roasting up a pound and a half or so of tomatillos, a few poblanos, maybe some other chiles if you like. Peel the poblanos, then pulse it all in a blender or food processor with some garlic, a bit of the poaching liquid for the consistency you want, season with salt and pepper. Maybe a bit of sugar and/or lime juice to balance it out. Spread the bottom of your baking dish with some of the salsa.

Take the chicken and mix up with some chopped green onion, cilantro, and shredded cheese. Fill 12 or so corn tortillas that you've steamed to make pliable and place in the baking dish, then top it all with the rest of the salsa and top with more shredded cheese. Bake at 450 until everything is melty and the cheese starts to brown a bit.

Serve with more green onion, maybe some sour cream.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
I plan on making minestrone this week; if I put some orzo in, will they continue to expand, get soft, and suck all the liquid from the soup, or will they stay al dente? Should I just cook them separately and put them in when I want a bowl?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Tonight I'm cooking flank steak for the first time. I don't have a real grill. Should I use a contact grill or a cast iron skillet on an electric stove? I think the cast iron gets hotter but I'm not sure.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 8, 2014

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

kinmik posted:

I plan on making minestrone this week; if I put some orzo in, will they continue to expand, get soft, and suck all the liquid from the soup, or will they stay al dente? Should I just cook them separately and put them in when I want a bowl?

Yeah, your pasta will get kinda mushy if you leave it in. If you want the pasta perfect, I'd say cook them separately, rinse, store separately tossed with a bit of olive oil to prevent sticking, and then put them into the soup when you want some.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

I need a good goon-approved sugar cookie recipe. The last few I've made haven't wowed me.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I'd normally never consider this, but there's this discount on an Omaha Steak package: http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/redirect?fromUri=/fv03. I've never had anything from there before, as paying extra for frozen meat never made any sense to me. Are they one of those places that has absurd regular prices and frequent sales in order to trick dummies like me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Zenzirouj posted:

I'd normally never consider this, but there's this discount on an Omaha Steak package: http://www.omahasteaks.com/servlet/redirect?fromUri=/fv03. I've never had anything from there before, as paying extra for frozen meat never made any sense to me. Are they one of those places that has absurd regular prices and frequent sales in order to trick dummies like me?

Don't buy Omaha steaks, buy your steaks from a good butcher that you are familiar with.