Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

H&R Block is kicking out my 1099-R for the Roth saying that the numbers are impossible.

Specifically that the box 7 distribution code: BG, and the the box 2a Taxable amount:a non-zero value, don't mix.

Doing some research on this I found the exact process used was a rollover from the traditional and Roth 401k into a traditional IRA, which was then converted to a Roth. Did this mess something up and is why all the realized gains from the Roth 401k are showing up as taxable?

I don't really care about paying more, its like $15 more in tax, but I want to make sure its not a mistake and that I report it correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

ashgromnies posted:

Is there any way I can view what my withholdings are set at? I owe $1200 again this year, this sucks.

Go ask your HR. Or just file another W-4 with whatever personal exemptions you need.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

ashgromnies posted:

Is there any way I can view what my withholdings are set at? I owe $1200 again this year, this sucks.

It should be on your paycheck.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Karthe posted:

I just want someone to look over my finances and tell me why I owe a poo poo ton of money every year even though I filled out a 1 on the W4. I'd rather sit down face-to-face with someone and talk it out instead of just blindly leaving things to a software package, even if the end result is the same.

Just curious, do you receive a normal regular salary or do you have income from bonuses or on call pay that make up part of your income.

Usually if you just have a set pay schedule, and you go through the IRS tools for setting your withholding you'll be pretty close. I work in IT and receive an extra XXX dollars every week I'm on call. It's processed as a separate paycheck and therefore the appropriate amount of taxes aren't taken out by payroll, which ends up with us owing at the end of the year.

ashgromnies posted:

Should be on your paycheck. At the top of my paystub it says Fed Witholding: 2

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

skipdogg posted:

Just curious, do you receive a normal regular salary or do you have income from bonuses or on call pay that make up part of your income.

Usually if you just have a set pay schedule, and you go through the IRS tools for setting your withholding you'll be pretty close. I work in IT and receive an extra XXX dollars every week I'm on call. It's processed as a separate paycheck and therefore the appropriate amount of taxes aren't taken out by payroll, which ends up with us owing at the end of the year.
I had a sneaking suspicion that that's what's going on with me. Work pays me an additional $XXX every month for "tuition reimbursement" that gets cut as a separate check. They started it last year, which would explain why I got slammed for $1000 in taxes owed and why I'm probably looking at a similar figure this year.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Getting a 1098-T where Box 5 has a larger amount than Box 2 is totally hosed, right?

My school included the amount to which they subsidized my health insurance as a "scholarship or grant" but didn't include the full cost in the amount billed. I don't think a health insurance subsidy is a scholarship or grant, either?

Akumu fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 7, 2014

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

is there a recommended website to e-file my taxes for cheap/free? I used taxact.com last year, and would be willing to do so again, but I'd like to know if I can save a bit of money using a different service.

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

neogeo0823 posted:

is there a recommended website to e-file my taxes for cheap/free? I used taxact.com last year, and would be willing to do so again, but I'd like to know if I can save a bit of money using a different service.

Depending on your income, some of these options may be free:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Akumu posted:

Getting a 1098-T where Box 5 has a larger amount than Box 2 is totally hosed, right?

My school included the amount to which they subsidized my health insurance as a "scholarship or grant" but didn't include the full cost in the amount billed. I don't think a health insurance subsidy is a scholarship or grant, either?

That's what I got. Doesn't it just mean you got a bunch of grants that more than covered your fees?

JohnnyPalace posted:

Depending on your income, some of these options may be free:
http://www.irs.gov/uac/Free-File:-Do-Your-Federal-Taxes-for-Free

I went through these stupid things and the only one that seemed decent was either turbotax or it was taxact and they still cost money to file state taxes. Federal was free, but that wasn't very helpful.

Copied from the small questions thread:

quote:

I made 5k in maine, exclusively in maine. In march, I worked in mass for 3 days totalling 144.00 and 6.98 in state tax.
In august I worked 4 days, but in washington state, for the same company. I forget what I made but their w2 is showing 295.64 for ME and no state income tax.

I also got some income from fasfa, but only to a maine college.

However, turbotax is saying I owe MA $30 in taxes. What? I'm not sure how that can even be the case.

edit: trying another state, and it looks like including the grants I got via fasfa actually costs me money to MA, because I worked in MA for 3 days??

I checked on both turbotax and taxact, went back and reentered it twice, I didn't enter it wrong. Apparently it takes your overall income adds it all together, and since I worked 3 days in MA for $144, that allows MA to want to tax me for a portion of my income even though I'm a non-resident. Via taxact i was able to do something with changing to non-resident and putting in other income from like 1700?? to 144 because that's what I loving made not some absurd number. Refund ended up being zero somehow.

Then the other issue is taxact wants to charge me $15 each to file both maine state tax and MA. I find this absurd, also I don't have $15, nor do I have $30 for the forseeable future. Turbotax wants to charge $20 when I'm only getting $27 back which is a waste of money. They also offer the ability to take it out of your tax return, but they charge $30 on top of that just for that feature. What.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Then the other issue is taxact wants to charge me $15 each to file both maine state tax and MA. I find this absurd, also I don't have $15, nor do I have $30 for the forseeable future. Turbotax wants to charge $20 when I'm only getting $27 back which is a waste of money. They also offer the ability to take it out of your tax return, but they charge $30 on top of that just for that feature. What.

Get paper forms from MA and ME. Copy the numbers off your tax act form. File for the cost of two stamps.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Here's another question. I bought a car early last month. I'm seeing that I might be able to deduct somethingorother from my taxes for it. Could someone please explain that bit to me? If I'm e-filing, what's the typical procedure for that?

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

That's what I got. Doesn't it just mean you got a bunch of grants that more than covered your fees?

I guess that could be the case, but it's not here. The fee that the "scholarship" is going towards is not included in Box 2, and I don't think is even allowed to be included in Box 2.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I went through these stupid things and the only one that seemed decent was either turbotax or it was taxact and they still cost money to file state taxes. Federal was free, but that wasn't very helpful.

I'm sure it depends on the state, but the H&R Block option had NY state taxes included in the free-file tier.

Bisty Q.
Jul 22, 2008

Guy Axlerod posted:

I'm sure it depends on the state, but the H&R Block option had NY state taxes included in the free-file tier.

In NY, they aren't allowed to charge you for e-filing :shobon:

Hufflepuff or bust!
Jan 28, 2005

I should have known better.
I received $1074 in "consulting" income for taking part in a day-long study. This event was more or less related to my general career field. Unfortunately, this is forcing me to fill out Schedule C for self employment.

$74 of that was reimbursement for my transportation to and from - I know I can deduct that as travel expenses.

I attended an academic conference during the year that was related to this field - it was not for work, and I paid for it myself. You could consider this as part of my consulting work, networking, learning skills and conducting research. TaxACT tells me I can deduct the per diem for the location (San Fransisco) but at that rate, my earnings are over 100% used up and I basically record a loss.

If I do that, does that basically guarantee an audit? What about reporting no income/no loss? What about reporting expenses that amount to ~90% of my income? Is there a way to deduct some of this conference travel (registration fees, etc.) but not the full per diem (to leave at least some of the income reported)?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

It sounds like your deductions won't be more than your standard deduction anyway, so just use that.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

kaishek posted:

Heh, sorry - anyways, there a million different things that could affect why your tax situation changed. Saying "I usually get back X but this year I got back Y" is sort of meaningless - there are only two numbers that matter, how much you owe (calculated based on your income, type of income, amount of deductions, and amount of any credits) and how much you've already paid (how much was withheld from your paycheck or paid in quarterly estimated payments). If the latter exceeds the former, you get a refund. If it doesn't, you don't or you owe.

So in this case yes, it means that your withholding was right. If you get +/- $100 or so (either owing or getting), that's pretty good. But either way, there are many reasons why you could have gotten a refund previously - a handful of tax credits have expired so you might be missing one of those. The house won't help you if, as someone else pointed out, it doesn't exceed the standard deduction. Maybe one of you changed status as a student? Paid less in student loan interest? Contributed or didn't to a retirement account? Someone could probably spend some time and figure out exactly what reason you got a bigger refund last year, but it would basically require re-doing two years of your taxes. In this case as long as you're sure you've filled out all the boxes correctly than the result is probably correct.

Turbotax will tell you everything is great because they want you to believe you'll get a huge refund. In reality the only reason you'd get a huge refund is if you have not optimized your withholding. Everyone should aspire to getting no refund, meaning that they paid their taxes correctly during the year.

I'm a few days late on this, but thank you- this is perfect and should be in the OP.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Bisty Q. posted:

In NY, they aren't allowed to charge you for e-filing :shobon:

E-File is mandatory in NY, so that makes sense. But they could still charge you for the preparation, right?

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

neogeo0823 posted:

If you made less than $58000, you can file fed and state for free through myfreetaxes.com. I work for a non-profit that offers free tax preparation through the IRS VITA program and free self-preparation through http://www.myfreetaxes.com/lincolncap. Myfreetaxes uses the H&R block platform, but it's free if you're under the income limit and you access the service through the myfreetaxes link.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I hope these are easy questions to answer:

- I work in DC but live in Maryland. My employer incorrectly had me paying (withholding?) DC taxes part of the year rather than MD. Is it better to
a) talk to my HR department and have them re-do my W-2;
b) just enter the info as appearing on my current W-2 and file a DC non-resident form (but then what do I do for MD during that time?);
c) other

- Wife finished graduate school halfway across the country. She moved up to the DC area and found a job here. Do these moving expenses qualify for the..."Moving Expenses" section on Turbotax? Or is this strictly for cases in which you already have a job and say you're transferred/re-located within the organization? Or you apply for a job out of state and moving expenses aren't covered? Or can moving to relocate with a spouse a valid expense to account here?

Hope those are clear. Many thanks in advance.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

kaishek posted:

If I do that, does that basically guarantee an audit? What about reporting no income/no loss? What about reporting expenses that amount to ~90% of my income? Is there a way to deduct some of this conference travel (registration fees, etc.) but not the full per diem (to leave at least some of the income reported)?
Report all of your income and expenses. Having a loss on your Schedule C doesn't automatically trigger an audit. Why wouldn't you want to use every legal avenue to legitimately reduce your tax liability?

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

Akumu posted:

If you get more scholarships and grants than you had qualified expenses, you have to report the excess scholarship/grant money as income. It happens for some people.

Don't take the number in box 2 at face value-you count qualified expenses that were paid during 2013, which might not be what they billed during 2013, AND schools are notoriously inaccurate when reporting qualified expenses. The best way to make sure you're counting all the qualified expenses is to contact student accounts and get an account statement showing all the charges and payments related to your account in 2013. Look through that and add up the qualified expenses from your account statement and see how they compare to the scholarships/grants/stipends you got in 2013. If your expenses are still smaller, you'll report the difference as income. If the expenses are larger, look at the American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit and see if you'd qualify for either. For the American Opportunity Credit you can also add in required books that you bought from a source other than the school.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I need to do an amended Federal tax return because I missed out on a pretty big tax credit. I know that you can't do the amend tax return online, so I am going to go to a tax professional. What all do I need to bring them? I've always just done TurboTax so do I have to make an appointment or what, and who is a good service to use? I already got my federal return back.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

urnisme posted:

If you get more scholarships and grants than you had qualified expenses, you have to report the excess scholarship/grant money as income. It happens for some people.

Don't take the number in box 2 at face value-you count qualified expenses that were paid during 2013, which might not be what they billed during 2013, AND schools are notoriously inaccurate when reporting qualified expenses. The best way to make sure you're counting all the qualified expenses is to contact student accounts and get an account statement showing all the charges and payments related to your account in 2013. Look through that and add up the qualified expenses from your account statement and see how they compare to the scholarships/grants/stipends you got in 2013. If your expenses are still smaller, you'll report the difference as income. If the expenses are larger, look at the American Opportunity Credit and Lifetime Learning Credit and see if you'd qualify for either. For the American Opportunity Credit you can also add in required books that you bought from a source other than the school.

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll definitely go back through my records and check the Box 2 number. And I guess I know now that it's not an irregularility per se if Box 5 exceeds Box 2.

The outstanding question then is, should a health insurance subsidy from the school be considered a "scholarship or grant" that is included in Box 5? I should probably note that I am a graduate student who is also employed by the university.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Akumu posted:

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll definitely go back through my records and check the Box 2 number. And I guess I know now that it's not an irregularility per se if Box 5 exceeds Box 2.

The outstanding question then is, should a health insurance subsidy from the school be considered a "scholarship or grant" that is included in Box 5? I should probably note that I am a graduate student who is also employed by the university.

It is an economic benefit received, so yes I think it makes sense to treat it as a grant payment.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

razz posted:

I need to do an amended Federal tax return because I missed out on a pretty big tax credit. I know that you can't do the amend tax return online, so I am going to go to a tax professional. What all do I need to bring them? I've always just done TurboTax so do I have to make an appointment or what, and who is a good service to use? I already got my federal return back.
TurboTax does amendments.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

SiGmA_X posted:

TurboTax does amendments.

Really? I read somewhere that if you did the 1040EZ you can't do an amend online, you have to do it on a paper form. It would be great if I could do it online.

All I want to do is apply for a tax credit that I missed for contributing to a Roth IRA (form 8880). Can I do that online? Thanks!

Actually the "can't do it online" think might have to do with the 8880 form... I can't remember :(.

razz fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 8, 2014

JohnnyPalace
Oct 23, 2001

I'm gonna eat shit out of his own lemonade stand!

razz posted:

Really? I read somewhere that if you did the 1040EZ you can't do an amend online, you have to do it on a paper form. It would be great if I could do it online.

All I want to do is apply for a tax credit that I missed for contributing to a Roth IRA (form 8880). Can I do that online? Thanks!

I filed an amended return in 2010 for missing that exact credit. I just filled out a 1040x and form 8880 and mailed them in. About a month later I got my additional refund in the mail. Even if you can't do it online, there is no need to pay a professional to do something so easy to do yourself on paper forms.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
Me: sole proprietor
Wife: works for a company, receives a W2, company offers (at a ridiculous price) health insurance to her, me, and our two children

Since the premiums through her insurance were so expensive, my children and I paid for coverage under a cheaper plan that we purchased directly for all of '13. She was covered under her employer plan for all of '13.

After entering in all my income, I now see that TurboTax says:

"If you or your spouse could participate (even if you declined coverage) in an employer's health plan at any time during a given month, you cannot take the deduction for that month. However, payments for those months are deductible on Schedule A if you itemize deductions."

I don't understand the difference?

edit: perhaps I get it now. If my wife's employer did not offer health insurance to us, we would be able to deduct the premiums from our AGI. Because her employer does offer it, we have to take itemized deductions from our "original" AGI?

coronaball fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 8, 2014

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

razz posted:

Actually the "can't do it online" think might have to do with the 8880 form... I can't remember :(.

You can't e-file an amendment, but you could use an online software to prepare it, then print it and mail it in. Don't expect to see the additional refund for 6-8 months.

The 8880 can be e-filed as part of the original return. If it's available in the turbo tax package you have, you should be able to use that to prepare your amendment for printing and mailing.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

razz posted:

I'm in a similar situation, last night I did the amended return on TurboTax, and while you can't submit it online, you use the normal TurboTax interface then it spits out a PDF you can print out and mail.

E: doh

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

urnisme posted:

You can't e-file an amendment, but you could use an online software to prepare it, then print it and mail it in. Don't expect to see the additional refund for 6-8 months.

The 8880 can be e-filed as part of the original return. If it's available in the turbo tax package you have, you should be able to use that to prepare your amendment for printing and mailing.

Usually more like 6-8 weeks

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
Thanks everybody, didn't know I could do it myself :)

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

furushotakeru posted:

It is an economic benefit received, so yes I think it makes sense to treat it as a grant payment.

But say I was employed somewhere other than a university, and got partially-subsidized health insurance through my employer. Would the part of the premium that my employer pays have to be counted as income for me?

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Akumu posted:

But say I was employed somewhere other than a university, and got partially-subsidized health insurance through my employer. Would the part of the premium that my employer pays have to be counted as income for me?

No.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Right so, why is it taxable because I work as a graduate assistant?

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

Akumu posted:

Right so, why is it taxable because I work as a graduate assistant?

Likely because the school didn't pay part of your insurance premium as an employment benefit (if they had, that amount would be reported on your w-2 in box 12 with the code DD), and instead they paid it as a stipend because you are a grad student. Are you a full-time employee who qualifies for benefits through the university?

You could ask payroll or the financial aid office, and find out exactly why the university is subsidizing your insurance.

urnisme
Dec 24, 2011

furushotakeru posted:

Usually more like 6-8 weeks

The official IRS timeframe is 8-12 weeks after receipt, yes? Maybe it's because we're a VITA program and the amendments people being to us generate refunds, but our clients usually don't see their checks until August. I've chalked it up to the IRS largely ignoring amendments until they process current returns, and then a couple months to process and mail the check.

There's probably a good amount of confirmation bias in my experience, though-we're not actively following up with people to find out when their refund came so I probably only hear from the people who think it's taking too long.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

urnisme posted:

Likely because the school didn't pay part of your insurance premium as an employment benefit (if they had, that amount would be reported on your w-2 in box 12 with the code DD), and instead they paid it as a stipend because you are a grad student. Are you a full-time employee who qualifies for benefits through the university?

You could ask payroll or the financial aid office, and find out exactly why the university is subsidizing your insurance.

I am employed for 20 hours per week as a GA. My charges for health and dental are listed as "GA Health Insurance" and "GA Dental Insurance," so it's linked to my employment and not to being a student.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

FWIW, I'm in the same situation (income split grant/GA with GA health insurance) and my health insurance was indeed reported on the W-2 with code DD. So maybe your university did report it wrong.