Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Elite posted:

The stuff with the cross-eyes boss is awkward in that it's hinted at for a long time so you can can make a pretty good guess but when it tries to explain stuff it doesn't clear things up at all. Here's my understanding but it's hard to explain it 100%.

Big Dorohedoro Spoilers.

Ai kinda merges with some evil entity in the Lake of Refuse then undergoes a transplant experiment to become a magic user and ends up with a bunch of split personalities. These include Ai / Kai (The Boss) / Aikiwa ... and later Kaiman too.

The Boss kills Risu to steal his magic but that triggers his curse as retaliation. Curse beheads The Boss then seemingly tries to steal The Boss' body by climbing inside it (this is what I infer from the repeated "Tries to steal everything" line)... but the process gets interrupted by Ebisu's Lizard magic trapping Curse Risu inside and creating Kaiman. Much later En's crew finds Risu's original head and they use that to resurrect him for questioning, resulting in there being 2 Risus (1 as a normal person, 1 trapped inside Kaiman).

Kaiman hunts down magic users trying to recover his identity but earns the ire of En's enforcers and suffers from a minor case of death when Shin decapitates him. However Kaiman doesn't stay dead for long and quickly regrows his head, but the preserved decapitated head is stolen (the most likely culprit for this is one of Kaiman's own split personalities, presumably the same one who cuts out Nikaido's contract with En). Later in the magic user world Kaiman starts recovering his memories and loses his cross-eyes.. but he gets attacked by En. During the fight Kaiman loses his lizard transformation and this time when he dies the curse magic seems to dissipate so internal Risu disappears. Shin and Noi go to retrieve Kaiman's body but the only piece they find is a head and they don't realize it's the head Shin decapitated a year earlier, meanwhile the actual body has been transported away by Asu/Kawajiri. But the body isn't Kaiman at all anymore it's Kai/Aikawa and Kai starts being schizophrenically evil and tries to become a super-being.

Later when Kaiman turns up again it's due to that decapitated head, not from regaining control over TheBoss/Kai/Aikawa. He has his cross-eyes back, he has his head-spikes trimmed and he's missing a year's worth of memories so it's definitely from that head. It's a similar situation to how Risu was resurrected but isn't exactly what happened - maybe the body regrew on its own or maybe Kikurage's magic did it (unclear when there was time to do this but then again Nikaido has time-travel abilities) or maybe a powerful devil could have done it.

Phew. Well, it takes a while to explain multiple deaths and resurrections of a guy with 4 or more separate personalities. So it wasn't TheBoss in Kaimans' mouth it was always Risu, but TheBoss could use the head switching to take control of Kaiman but only rarely. Also it seems like there's odd rules for information sharing between The Boss' split personalities. When Risu tells Aikawa his secret Kai learns about it too, but Aikawa doesn't seem to have any knowledge of Kai's activities at that time. Kaiman starts with no knowledge of the other personalities but he's able to inherit some of their memories by treading familiar ground. Basically it seems like Kai knows everything, but the other personalities only have limited knowledge... though by the end the other personalities seem to have figured things out and spend their time trying to commit suicide or otherwise sabotage Kai's plans.

I agree that the series loses something when Kaiman disappears. I guess I just missed the goofy adventures of a perpetually hungry lizard man.

:psyboom:

Thanks, that cleared it up.

Someone suggested me,

Looking for Recommendations/Suggestions:

Read:
- Attack on Titan
- Knights of Sidonia
- I am a Hero
- Biomega
- Gantz
- Dorohedoro

Didn't Like:
- Claymore (felt like it was getting to be DBZ)
- Blame!
- Planetes
- Monster

Going to Read:
- Gate (i was told the first volume has Romans invading modern day earth) :iia:
- Berserk
- Black Lagoon
- Blade of the Immortal
- Vagabond

Looking for any more recommendations/suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shin Angyo Onshi is great.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vinland Saga is also great.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah, Shin Angyo Onshi, Berserk, Vinland Saga...all classic.

I'd also add Freesia, Vagabond, maybe Hoshi no Samidare or Holyland if they seem appealing to you flavor-wise.

Lately I've been enjoying Tokyo Ghoul and Kingdom a lot...Boku dake ga Inai Machi is also pretty good so far even though I wish it'd get updated faster.

edit: oh hey look I summoned a new chapter with my frustration http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-dake-ga-Inai-Machi/Ch-019--Last-Chance--February-1988?id=186949
Oh snap, poo poo just got real.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Feb 1, 2014

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Gate is trashy as hell, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just don't expect good writing.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
poo poo, I don't know what it is about pretty much every single chapter of I Am Missing that puts me completely on edge when I read them. But man, is it such a god drat great series, and it really sucks that it's monthly.

A new chapter came out, and it seems that the series may be wrapping up, based on some things said during it/the chapter title. So basically, the next few chapters will likely be go time and even MORE intense than previous ones.

Although with what happens with Ken'ya, it might continue on for longer yet after the current predicament with the serial murderer concludes, with exploring the whole "time-jumper" aspect more thoroughly.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
I debated whether to put this in the romance thread, the weird daily life thread or this one, but apparently it's Seinen, so...

What's with people wanting to touch other people's butts?

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Feb 1, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sindai posted:

Gigantomakhia 4 is out: http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Gigantomakhia/Vol-001-Ch-004-Read-Online

Miura all will be forgiven if this ends with the colossus being suplexed.

Gotta say that owns pretty hard. Miura still has it art-wise.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Yeah, Shin Angyo Onshi, Berserk, Vinland Saga...all classic.

I'd also add Freesia, Vagabond, maybe Hoshi no Samidare or Holyland if they seem appealing to you flavor-wise.

Lately I've been enjoying Tokyo Ghoul and Kingdom a lot...Boku dake ga Inai Machi is also pretty good so far even though I wish it'd get updated faster.

edit: oh hey look I summoned a new chapter with my frustration http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-dake-ga-Inai-Machi/Ch-019--Last-Chance--February-1988?id=186949
Oh snap, poo poo just got real.

Holyland is interesting, but the constant narrator explanation of everything got annoying to me.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Read Akira if you've only seen the film. Everyone read Akira if you've only seen the film.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Serious Frolicking posted:

Gate is trashy as hell, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just don't expect good writing.

Honestly i finished reading all 38 chapters of gate in an entire sitting. It is trashy as hell, and the writing at certain points is well pretty bad. Especially considering a few of the characters seem to be exclusively for fan service. The actual concept is pretty different from a lot of things, the idea of a modern day earth dealing with a fantasy world isn't something i see very often. Tanks vs Dragons, machine guns vs bows, etc. Watching the squadron of JAYDEESEFF airborne troops, blast ride of the Valkyries just made me burst out laughing. The writing isn't great, and it portrays everyone who isn't Japan as a mustache twirling villain, who simply wants to conquer the empire and consume all the resources.

If you want something trashy and dumb, Gate is pretty awesome.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
My favorite thing about Gate is the jdsf stuff drives some :911: nerds frothing mad.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Scott Bakula posted:

Read Akira if you've only seen the film. Everyone read Akira if you've only seen the film.
Yep. I read a big chunk of the coloured and flipped version a while ago and I was blown away by his draughtsmanship. I create engineering diagrams for a living and could never hope to have his skill at depicting architecture, mechanisms, vehicles, everything. The story is pretty good, too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Anyone else into Minoru Furuya, incidentally? I've been reading Himizu, it's alright, a bit aimless and nihilistic at times but worth the read. It's finally being updated semi-regularly, it seems-
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Himizu
Though Boku to Issho has to be my favorite comedy manga series ever. The faces are just so great, I feel like I've actually reread it a couple times, it's just that hilarious.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-to-Issho

I gave Gate a try but it really didn't stick, little too cornball and not enough for it to come out the other end and be appealing. That randomly reminds me of that one late fantasy Roman Empire manga that looked really promising (despite some adult/creepo elements). Looks like it's listed as shounen which seems sorta bizarre, maybe that's just the publication it was in, definitely doesn't feel like something one would call shounen. Not sure if it got canceled or if the people in charge of scanlation dropped it.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Hishintan-Vita-Arcana

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 1, 2014

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I am reading the first few volumes of Berserk that i borrowed from my friend (hardcopy).

The translations are loving awful. Tons of spelling mistakes, non nonsensical sentences, and just awful sentences. What is even worse is Gutts name keeps changing randomly between volumes to Ghatts, or Gattz.

Its translated by the same loving company.

:wtc:

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Are you not reading it in English or something? I admittedly only have the first volume, but the Dark Horse translations are fine.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Whatever happened to the Dowman Sayman thread? There's a new chapter of Nickelodeon. It's essentially a Hobby Collector's Manifesto. It's also set in the same universe as (and a sequel to) a previous chapter, Paracelsus' Beloved Disciples.

I'd like it if the 'Disciples' MC got his spirit back instead getting a new one, because the old one had a better design. I guess the fact that the 'Wunderkammer' MC's spirit remembers Org defeating him could mean that memories between spirits of the same person is shared or that it's possible to lose without killing the spirit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

toanoradian posted:

Whatever happened to the Dowman Sayman thread? There's a new chapter of Nickelodeon. It's essentially a Hobby Collector's Manifesto. It's also set in the same universe as (and a sequel to) a previous chapter, Paracelsus' Beloved Disciples.

It got archived, since there weren't any raws of his stuff to be scanlated.

On that note, I thought Nickelodeon was done, it's pretty great that there's more.

e: Oh man, it's not just the one new chapter, apparently there's been 5 new Nickelodeon chapters in the past week :toot:

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Cake Attack posted:

Are you not reading it in English or something? I admittedly only have the first volume, but the Dark Horse translations are fine.

The first volume was fine, but the second/third/4th have been complete and utter poo poo.

The 5th was fine, but the 6th is like the other lovely ones.

*EDIT* Yeah its english

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Feb 4, 2014

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Anyone else into Minoru Furuya, incidentally? I've been reading Himizu, it's alright, a bit aimless and nihilistic at times but worth the read. It's finally being updated semi-regularly, it seems-
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Himizu
Though Boku to Issho has to be my favorite comedy manga series ever. The faces are just so great, I feel like I've actually reread it a couple times, it's just that hilarious.
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Boku-to-Issho

Wow, these are both incredable! Despite how meandering it is I'm really digging Himizu. It covers pretty loving well worn ground thematically but does it really naturalistically and with some real laughs In there.

It's also really cool to have a manga about depression/alienation without it revolving around lame otaku poo poo.

A Gnarlacious Bro fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 4, 2014

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I just started reading Boku dake ga Inai Machi, and holy poo poo did things go completely wild after a few chapters. I'm about halfway through what is currently translated and drat if it isn't the most compelling thing I've read in a while.

Edit: Just finished chapter 19. Lawdy I want more. Cliffhanger within cliffhangers within cliffhangers.

Cynic Jester fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 6, 2014

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

poo poo, I don't know what it is about pretty much every single chapter of I Am Missing that puts me completely on edge when I read them. But man, is it such a god drat great series, and it really sucks that it's monthly.

A new chapter came out, and it seems that the series may be wrapping up, based on some things said during it/the chapter title. So basically, the next few chapters will likely be go time and even MORE intense than previous ones.

Although with what happens with Ken'ya, it might continue on for longer yet after the current predicament with the serial murderer concludes, with exploring the whole "time-jumper" aspect more thoroughly.

Man, the author really stuck gold this time with that story. His other works never really gripped me, and this time he even did it without any real semblance of fanservice.

I mean he used one of the oldest cliffhangers in the book, but it's still well executed and working so much.

As an aside, i know it was more or less just a sarcastic jab at the situation, but i googled for this "Swapped Man" by Poe and came up with nothing. Is that a real book or was Ken'ya just being witty with his dialogue traps?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

UberJumper posted:

The first volume was fine, but the second/third/4th have been complete and utter poo poo.

The 5th was fine, but the 6th is like the other lovely ones.

*EDIT* Yeah its english

I swear I remember all the Dark Horse stuff being fine, and only running into issues when I had to switch over to scanlations. Maybe you have an earlier printing and its worse or something???

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The only problem with the Dark Horse releases are that some of the pages were clearly cropped incorrectly, so you have some bubbles or words cut in half. I remember the translation being fine.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Nate RFB posted:

The only problem with the Dark Horse releases are that some of the pages were clearly cropped incorrectly, so you have some bubbles or words cut in half. I remember the translation being fine.

That is really weird. I am on volume 18 so far and its been a loving nightmare. However the last 4 volumes have been much better than the previous ones.

- Guts name seems to change at random between Ghatts, Gatts, Gattz and Gutts (however around volume 14 it seems to be stuck on Guts)
- Every time the skeleton horse dude spoke the font they used was so loving awful and hard to discern i couldn't even loving read it
- Lately there is a lot of random empty speech bubbles
- Pretty god awful sentences for example from a single cell:

"How can she. AHHH, so quick."
"That woman who she to put a feet of person in fire"

- Tons of pages of volume 16 seem to be mis-cropped and have the top of the page cut off.

Berserk is really good it just feels like i am reading some horrible fan translation at several points. Which has left me more than once without even the faintest idea of what is going on.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
Did your friend buy those copies in Hong Kong or something? Those were all problems that plagued the early fan translations.

You should compare your volumes to the "look inside" previews for the Dark Horse translation on Amazon and see if they match up: http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-3-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1593070225/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

I only have the first volume, too, and it's fine.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

UberJumper posted:

Berserk is really good it just feels like i am reading some horrible fan translation at several points. Which has left me more than once without even the faintest idea of what is going on.

I bought these at a store that sells legitimate non bootleg products and I've never had this problem. You're not reading the official translation.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm pretty certain he has been "Guts" since Dark Horse volume 1.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Law Cheetah posted:

Did your friend buy those copies in Hong Kong or something? Those were all problems that plagued the early fan translations.

You should compare your volumes to the "look inside" previews for the Dark Horse translation on Amazon and see if they match up: http://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Vol-3-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1593070225/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

I only have the first volume, too, and it's fine.

Sigh you are right they are bootleg, with a few legit copies thrown into the mix. Volumes 1, 6, 14-20 are actual legitimate printings.

Is it possible to buy Berserk volumes as a digital download? Dark Horses website doesn't seem to offer that, and i can't find it on Amazon.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

UberJumper posted:

Sigh you are right they are bootleg, with a few legit copies thrown into the mix. Volumes 1, 6, 14-20 are actual legitimate printings.

Is it possible to buy Berserk volumes as a digital download? Dark Horses website doesn't seem to offer that, and i can't find it on Amazon.

Nope.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

The whole guts/gattz/gattsu thing was one of the funniest bits of fan translater drama I've seen. Especially when Miura confirmed his name was actually "Guts" (which was pretty obvious from the beginning if you weren't glorious nipponese-levels of retarded), and the group put a super whiny bit into the front of a chapter saying that Miura could use "whatever mangled transliteration he wanted, WE GUESS".

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

megalodong posted:

The whole guts/gattz/gattsu thing was one of the funniest bits of fan translater drama I've seen. Especially when Miura confirmed his name was actually "Guts" (which was pretty obvious from the beginning if you weren't glorious nipponese-levels of retarded), and the group put a super whiny bit into the front of a chapter saying that Miura could use "whatever mangled transliteration he wanted, WE GUESS".

Band of the Hawk is basically the whiniest weebs this side of TV-N.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

HenryEx posted:

Man, the author really stuck gold this time with that story. His other works never really gripped me, and this time he even did it without any real semblance of fanservice.

I mean he used one of the oldest cliffhangers in the book, but it's still well executed and working so much.

As an aside, i know it was more or less just a sarcastic jab at the situation, but i googled for this "Swapped Man" by Poe and came up with nothing. Is that a real book or was Ken'ya just being witty with his dialogue traps?

I love mysteries and stories where you replay the past so this poo poo is gold.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I went and picked up volume 17 from my local indigo since i just couldn't take the lovely knockoff translation (the rest are legit). Berserk, Gantz and a bunch of others are all with the kids books. :wtc:

Also Berserk is getting really dark. :smith: I just would like if they would cut down on the demon tentacle penis trying to rape everyone and everything.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

UberJumper posted:

I went and picked up volume 17 from my local indigo since i just couldn't take the lovely knockoff translation (the rest are legit). Berserk, Gantz and a bunch of others are all with the kids books. :wtc:

Also Berserk is getting really dark. :smith: I just would like if they would cut down on the demon tentacle penis trying to rape everyone and everything.
It won't.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Hi-Score Gril is finally getting translated and y'all should read it. http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/hi-score-girl-r9530

The year is 1991 and 6th grader Yaguchi Haruo only has video games to live for. He's not popular in school and he's neither handsome, funny, nice nor even friendly. The only thing he has going for him is that he is good at video games. One day at the local arcade, he plays Oono Akira, a fellow classmate but who's popular, smart, pretty and a rich girl that absolutely destroys him at Street Fighter II. Not only does he lose to her 30 times in a row, he can’t beat her at any game. Haruo can’t seem to shake Akira off as she follows him from arcade to arcade everyday after school and beats him every time. As weird as it sounds, the odd couple begins a strange bond and friendship.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I think washizu mahjong is finally winding down after all these years.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Yeah I caught those today and I was about to post about them. As a Street Fighter fan I love that she got pissed off when he used a tick throw.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

jackofarcades posted:

Yeah I caught those today and I was about to post about them. As a Street Fighter fan I love that she got pissed off when he used a tick throw.

Hi-Score Girl is full of fighting game references. As someone who also plays fighting games it's really neat to see jokes in it that actually references the gameplay, and not just "oh it's a karate mans doing a shoryuken ho ho isn't that funny."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AnonSpore posted:

Hi-Score Girl is full of fighting game references. As someone who also plays fighting games it's really neat to see jokes in it that actually references the gameplay, and not just "oh it's a karate mans doing a shoryuken ho ho isn't that funny."

Well, it seems pretty clear to me that the author was about that age when SFII came out. As another old dude with the same experience let me tell you one thing: That loving game was life-changing. (I picked Blanka first, got owned by a lucky friend that chose Dhalsim, who was pretty unbeatable when nobody knew poo poo about the game)