Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PRL412
Sep 11, 2007

... ... MINE

teen witch posted:

Also, to continue my theme of Olympic mascot chat, here are some mascots of disasters past

Don't forget the half dozen mascots from the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

7thBatallion posted:

You've got some serious problems, dude.

gently caress you the rabbit has got that come hither look

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Speed skating would be cooler if Russia had the ability to put skates on the dogs but no way are they going to take the technological leap from emerging shower curtain to steel.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Darkman Fanpage posted:

gently caress you the rabbit has got that come hither look

As Darkman tips his Fedora, he mutters "M'lady" low enough only he can hear. In his mind however a whole lifetime plays out. A lifetime with him and his beloved animatronic rabbit.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!
Russia, U.S. have vote-swapping deal to deny Virtue-Moir ice-dance gold, says L’Equipe

This is from the organization that outed Lance Armstrong as a fraud.

Dr. Witherbone posted:

I don't have the skills to, but it was on this page: http://olympics.cbc.ca//videos/live/video/sochi-opening-ceremonies-webcast.html?cid=mrss

e: Seems like it's just an error page now :( you'll have to take my word for it. That sucks, it was pretty funny.

e2: maybe here? http://olympics.cbc.ca/videos/live/video/olympic-opening-ceremony.html bet the audio's been removed
gently caress I'm getting errors too.

Dr. Witherbone posted:

Well I don't know what to say, CBC used to have a complete archive up of the opening ceremonies, now it's gone. Hearing all the CBC commentators poo poo on the ceremonies, Putin, and the hotels really was something else, but it seems to have been eternally lost down a memory hole and erased.

Appropriate. :ussr:
Fuuuuuck.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
why do the nbc speed skating commentators talk about 'this ice' like its extra difficult? is it a tarp?

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

sochigate
tarpgate
dogegate

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

you irl posted:

why do the nbc speed skating commentators talk about 'this ice' like its extra difficult? is it a tarp?

It's made from bleached acidic death water.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

:canada:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

How much dye does Al Michaels have in his hair?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can I get a link to the stream, please? Went back and didn't see it.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

actionjackson posted:

How much hair does Al Michaels have in his dye?

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
NBC now "showing" biathlon, and by that I mean they've edited it to poo poo. It's a sports event, show the whole drat thing.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Not Virtue-Moir Noooo

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

zakharov posted:

NBC now "showing" biathlon, and by that I mean they've edited it to poo poo. It's a sports event, show the whole drat thing.

They've now cut away to an interview with a speed skate announcer wtf

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

you irl posted:

Hard ice makes skaters go fast, soft ice makes them slow. I've seen American hockey rinks that are pretty much slush.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

zakharov posted:

The American viewers only care about America, and maybe seeing our closest rivals and medal contenders. Japan/Mexico/Spain/Czech is up? Who cares, let's have another touching story about one of our American Competitors and their sister's dying wish. :911:

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

Galaga Galaxian posted:

The American viewers only care about America, and maybe seeing our closest rivals and medal contenders. Japan/Mexico/Spain/Czech is up? Who cares, let's have another touching story about one of our American Competitors and their sister's dying wish. :911:

It's bullshit is what it is, I want to see skiing+firearms is that so weird? Cmon nbc

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm sure this has been posted (and there's no way I'm reading the 3,000+ posts since I last posted in this thread to search for a Brezhnev joke), but the thread title reminds me of an old classic Russian joke:

quote:

At the 1980 Olympics, Brezhnev begins his speech. "O!"—applause. "O!"—more applause. "O!"—yet more applause. "O!"—an ovation. "O!!!"—the whole audience stands up and applauds. An aide comes running to the podium and whispers, "Leonid Ilyich, those are the Olympic logo rings, you don't need to read them!"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

bow chicka wow wow posted:

Not Virtue-Moir Noooo

:canada:

at least this gives them an excuse for when they lose

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I particularly like hearing about their harships leading up to the games. :3:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Galaga Galaxian posted:

*Is NBC*

*Airs Premiere League 'footie' match live in US, shows only recorded TEAM USA HOORAH footage for Olympic coverage.*

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What the hell is this event? I just turned it on a few seconds ago. Skiing and shooting things all in one event?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What the hell is this event? I just turned it on a few seconds ago. Skiing and shooting things all in one event?

Biathlon is the poo poo.

Although it's probably ill-advised to make 'openly biathlete' jokes while in Russia.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Biathlon, you can't get any more blue blood than this sport. Their biathlon rifles look cool as all gently caress, not sure why they look the way they do, but god drat they are cool.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

grats to cox

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Agrajag posted:

Biathlon, you can't get any more blue blood than this sport. Their biathlon rifles look cool as all gently caress, not sure why they look the way they do, but god drat they are cool.

I just hope they all have a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Agrajag posted:

Biathlon, you can't get any more blue blood than this sport.

Maybe for uncouth barbarous plebs who dont understand the majesty in investing millions of dollars training a horse to dance :colbert:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
Russia to Change Name of Biathalon to "Shoot Dog, Win Medal"

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Bro Dad posted:

Maybe for uncouth barbarous plebs who dont understand the majesty in investing millions of dollars training a horse to dance :colbert:

Ok, I meant for the Winter Olympics. :colbert:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So are these hyper advanced futuristic looking rifles shooting BBs? They sure as hell don't sound like they're firing bullets.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

So are these hyper advanced futuristic looking rifles shooting BBs? They sure as hell don't sound like they're firing bullets.

Apparently they are .22 calibre rifles with 5 shot magazines. I don't know what .22 calibre means. I'll just assume they are the same as BB's.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wow, those Biathalon rifles are expensive little plinkers. :stare:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 8, 2014

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
USA dude fails miserably in biathlon, what a shock. You'd think we'd be good at a sport with guns.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Agrajag posted:

They are specially designed .22 straight bolt action with non-optical sights and five round magazines. Up to five additional magazines are stored in the stock, which is specially designed to be lightweight. The rifle weighs under 8 pounds.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Take into account the added cost of having one of those being custom made for you. I highly doubt any of the pro biathlon dudes get one right off the shelf.

Lazy Broker
Jul 9, 2013

Whatcha gonna do? When they come for you?
So we fail to beat the guy who is 40 years old and has all the biathlon medals.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

zakharov posted:

USA dude fails miserably in biathlon, what a shock. You'd think we'd be good at a sport with guns.

Apparently it's the only olympic sport in which the us has never medaled, ever

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Agrajag posted:

Apparently they are .22 calibre rifles with 5 shot magazines. I don't know what .22 calibre means. I'll just assume they are the same as BB's.

They're firing .22 Long Rifle cartridges. They're tiny little bullets that are used mostly for target practice, hunting small animals, and failing to assassinate US presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

you irl posted:

Apparently it's the only olympic sport in which the us has never medaled, ever

Is that really true? lmbo

• Locked thread