Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011
Going by the novels it seems that Rudy already is in the anima dispersal phase - it just didn't reach far enough for it to be clearly visible (note that the first rez spell cast seemed to "pull in" some sort of particles into his body, probably rebuilding what he lost already)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
That was a fun episode as for Rudy my guess is that Shiroe will write up some the type of contract that someone agrees to when ever they sign up to play an MMO, you know that huge wall of text that most people don't read and just hit the agree button. Thus binding Rudy to the adventurer system making him an adventurer. That would be the most likely scenario.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Myurton posted:

That was a fun episode as for Rudy my guess is that Shiroe will write up some the type of contract that someone agrees to when ever they sign up to play an MMO, you know that huge wall of text that most people don't read and just hit the agree button. Thus binding Rudy to the adventurer system making him an adventurer. That would be the most likely scenario.

How's he going to sign a EULA if he's already dead?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Conot posted:

Did I misunderstand the earlier episodes? I swear they said before that As long as its done before the anima dispersal/body dissapearance that PoTL could still be rezzed like a adventurer, they just don't rez at cathedrals. This episode seem to say the opposite, that as soon as they hit 0 HP they're permadead (ignoring whatever Shiroe is doing in that episode preview)

Keep in mind that these are two low level healers trying to cast a revival, that they aren't of the cleric class(with the strongest instant heals and revives) and that they've taken some time to catch up to Rudy. He's been dead for a while, just that his corpse hadn't despawned yet.

Frying a direwolf with an explosion spell cast INSIDE it's body was great though. That thing is level 35, they aren't even level 30, and there's two of them with goblin support as well. Must be some good XP

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

veekie posted:

Frying a direwolf with an explosion spell cast INSIDE it's body was great though. That thing is level 35, they aren't even level 30, and there's two of them with goblin support as well. Must be some good XP

I think that that was interesting to show off the fact that it's not simply a matter of "shoot spell, do damage", but that there's also an element of realistic weakpoints and physical shapees that can be taken into consideration.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

DrSunshine posted:

How's he going to sign a EULA if he's already dead?

I don't think he'll need to physically sign it remember that that Miral Lake sage dude said that when your hp hits zero your mind still exists it's just your body that is falling apart, perhaps he will be able to mentally agree to it making it take effect like some type of magic scroll. You guys keep thinking in a purely physical sense when the world they currently live in is filled with magic.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

veekie posted:

Keep in mind that these are two low level healers trying to cast a revival, that they aren't of the cleric class(with the strongest instant heals and revives) and that they've taken some time to catch up to Rudy. He's been dead for a while, just that his corpse hadn't despawned yet.

Seems kinda odd though what is the timeline of all this? From training camp to goblin bridge fight. I feel like they should have shot up like 10 levels by now after the training and taking on these high level monsters, or is the exp gain naturally slow?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Asian MMO. Are there any of those that aren't titanic grindfests?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Chillyrabbit posted:

Seems kinda odd though what is the timeline of all this? From training camp to goblin bridge fight. I feel like they should have shot up like 10 levels by now after the training and taking on these high level monsters, or is the exp gain naturally slow?

I'm pretty sure if you look at their status screens, they HAVE leveled up since the beginning of the training arc

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Tarezax posted:

I'm pretty sure if you look at their status screens, they HAVE leveled up since the beginning of the training arc

Just took a look, the levels they gained seemed to be about 5 to 6. But yeah Asian grinding MMO is possible but apparently its a global MMO, so which model would be the most appropriate for marketing globally?

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Chillyrabbit posted:

Hunted through the episode:

Tohya: 34(perks of tank, he gets at least one hit on pretty much every monster)
Rudy: 25(drat, he really nuked that level 32 wolf good for his level)
Isuzu: 29
Serara: 30
Minori: 26(coordinating the fight means she's getting little XP for her own attacks and spells)

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vengarr posted:

It's mentioned in the Overseas story.

Somebody figured out the "how to make good food" trick and tried to horde it for themselves. The resulting riots and infighting have turned the Big Apple into a house of poo poo, so Leonardo bailed by going through a Fairy Ring.

The rest of the country is a mixed bag, according to the author's notes, which is more or less how it is world-wide. Someone translated a bunch of the world notes here. Lots of interesting stuff in there.

Just write an RPG setting book and be done it! This is too amazing to not be made into a tabletop.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Xelkelvos posted:

Just write an RPG setting book and be done it! This is too amazing to not be made into a tabletop.

There is a tabletop game coming out. Since it's a Japanese TTRPG, it'll almost certainly be loads and loads of d6s. I've heard inklings that it'll have some kind of proper aggro system (More like a MMO does it than TT usually does).

Elder Tales is surprisingly not as grindy as it used to be, from what the side materials say. Everyone knows the content is at the end and the game's been fixed up in various ways to speed people towards endgame faster. Surprisingly somewhat accurate too, as WoW has various ways to speed up exp gain (Refer a friend, play with them) or even gives you an instant boost almost cap if you resub after a long break. Next expansion will also have a boost to the current cap for every copy, and they're considering it as a future paid service.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Rudy leveled more slowly than the others because he isn't an adventurer. There doesn't seem to be a hard level cap for potl, so slow exp gain is probably the main limiting factor.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Xelkelvos posted:

They are. It's coming out either this month or the next. And based on some of the blog posts from the developer, it's shaping up to be pretty cool. Here are some of the translated posts that were posted on /a/: http://pastebin.com/aWTu5Lkr

Blhue posted:

Asian MMO. Are there any of those that aren't titanic grindfests?

Elder Tales was actually made by a US company based in LA, and localized by various sub-contractors.

The reason they're leveling up so slowly is due to the time dilation. It's stated in the novels you only needed 80-100 hours to reach max-level before the expansion, but since 1 Earth hour is equivalent to 12 Elder Tales hours, leveling up post-Apocalypse is a huge ordeal. Plus the fear of death makes it more risky to solo, so everyone is grouping up and splitting the EXP, slowing things down even more.

Finally, Landers level up four times slower than Adventurers. Meaning that Rudy, who made it to level 25 via soloing, is even more ridiculous than previously imagined.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
So if Shiroe scribes up a contract that lets PoTL become magical girls adventurers to save Rudy, what's to stop him from extending the same offer to the princess?

Actually except for the reagents being rare (presumably this would require max level paper and inks, which has been foreshadowed to some extent) there would be little stopping him from offering this to every PoTL. Just because of that I don't think we're actually going to see an adventurer contract but something else entirely. It would also be surprising to see that adventurers had the power to grant adventurer status to others.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Desuwa posted:

So if Shiroe scribes up a contract that lets PoTL become magical girls adventurers to save Rudy, what's to stop him from extending the same offer to the princess?

Actually except for the reagents being rare (presumably this would require max level paper and inks, which has been foreshadowed to some extent) there would be little stopping him from offering this to every PoTL. Just because of that I don't think we're actually going to see an adventurer contract but something else entirely. It would also be surprising to see that adventurers had the power to grant adventurer status to others.

Man. Scribes (as well as attendant industries) would be able to make an absolute killing doing this. They basically have the formula for immortal life -- and the newly-sentient, human People of the Land would be absolutely up in arms to get a piece of that action.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Desuwa posted:

I think this was what the little meeting between Duke Cowen and Michitaka was supposed to foreshadow. "How are we supposed to see each other as equals when the power balance is so uneven?" "Eh, Shiroe will think of something."

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Desuwa posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that some of those rare reagents are actually promotional items given to encourage players to invite their friends. Basically crafting a special 30-day trial account contracts into a permanent free account contract. But now that it's an actual world, there shouldn't be a way to get more special 30-day trial account contracts.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

golden bubble posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that some of those rare reagents are actually promotional items given to encourage players to invite their friends. Basically crafting a special 30-day trial account contracts into a permanent free account contract. But now that it's an actual world, there shouldn't be a way to get more special 30-day trial account contracts.

And the whole thing could be cast on someone like a type of magic scroll. All they would have to do is mentally agree to it.

edit:
Also remember that there are some really rare stuff in the world like those shape changing potions that were a limited thing. Some of the things needed to make really high level stuff might be a very limited resource.

Myurton fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 9, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Myurton posted:

Also remember that there are some really rare stuff in the world like those shape changing potions that were a limited thing. Some of the things needed to make really high level stuff might be a very limited resource.

Didn't the author say that, with the proper recipe or knowledge, adventurers can make anything now? I guess it would be very hard to figure out how to create certain things, especially in fields like alchemy where no one has relevant real world knowledge, but not impossible.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Desuwa posted:

Didn't the author say that, with the proper recipe or knowledge, adventurers can make anything now? I guess it would be very hard to figure out how to create certain things, especially in fields like alchemy where no one has relevant real world knowledge, but not impossible.

Yes I was just saying that some of the things that can be made might be limited in the amount that can be made. You can only make so many of something cause the materials might be super rare.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Serious Frolicking posted:

Rudy leveled more slowly than the others because he isn't an adventurer. There doesn't seem to be a hard level cap for potl, so slow exp gain is probably the main limiting factor.

Reminds me of people leveling a rabbit by killing themselves in AC1 until it turned into a mini-god. Then they did the same thing to keep a final NPC crystal from being killed to prevent an event from triggering because no one could kill it

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Low xp gain and the risk of death

Monsieur Mango
Apr 29, 2009
Angry uneducated white person
That was a really loving intense and awesome episode!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Myurton posted:

That is silly, the EULA isn't what we sign up for to become adventurers.

I think it's more likely he'll just abuse a bug or use an exploit personally.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag

Mordaedil posted:

That is silly, the EULA isn't what we sign up for to become adventurers.

I think it's more likely he'll just abuse a bug or use an exploit personally.

You sign the EULA agreeing to not do anything the company doesn't want you to do before making a "user" account. I didn't say he'd specifically sign an EULA just that it might be a similar type of contract making him from NPC to user since the name of the next episode is "contract". Also they aren't inside a video game it's an entire separate reality so I don't think bugs exist just like our reality doesn't have bugs in the system that you can exploit.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Myurton posted:

... just like our reality doesn't have bugs in the system that you can exploit.

The free market. :colbert:

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Myurton posted:

Also they aren't inside a video game it's an entire separate reality so I don't think bugs exist just like our reality doesn't have bugs in the system that you can exploit.
Higher physics look kinda like that.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I find it best to think of the world they are in as a separate alternate reality that just happens to have magic that acts very similar to the mechanics of the game they knew. Else explaining how the NPC's now have sentience and the fact that they can now invent entire new things that weren't in the game would be much too hard to explain, as coding that into the program if they were just inside a video game would be incredibly difficult.

I'm more interested now in how Shiroe is going to convince the nobles that they don't need to worry about the adventurers, though I currently have no idea on how he might do that.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Myurton posted:

I find it best to think of the world they are in as a separate alternate reality that just happens to have magic that acts very similar to the mechanics of the game they knew. Else explaining how the NPC's now have sentience and the fact that they can now invent entire new things that weren't in the game would be much too hard to explain, as coding that into the program if they were just inside a video game would be incredibly difficult.

I'm more interested now in how Shiroe is going to convince the nobles that they don't need to worry about the adventurers, though I currently have no idea on how he might do that.

Well, Cowen did more or less hit the overall solution. Incorporating Akiba and adventurers into the League creates issues because they have the same rights and are peers to Lander nobility. Treating them as an external friendly party solves the equality issues, as the adventurers won't hold equal status on an individual level. The nobles aren't (as) threatened because they're outside of the League and the adventurers don't really care about status.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Myurton posted:

You sign the EULA agreeing to not do anything the company doesn't want you to do before making a "user" account. I didn't say he'd specifically sign an EULA just that it might be a similar type of contract making him from NPC to user since the name of the next episode is "contract". Also they aren't inside a video game it's an entire separate reality so I don't think bugs exist just like our reality doesn't have bugs in the system that you can exploit.

A separate reality with menus and NPC's and monsters that explode into cash and food...

It's a video game alright, but I guess it comes down to the authors will whether he believes the creators created a perfect reality code or not.

Psiwri
Mar 8, 2012

"The Foecast today calls for dark clouds, booming thunder and F.O.E.s everywhere!"
Note that they don't explode into sparklies and loot in the LNs, its a lot more visceral there and they loot actual corpses left behind.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

A separate reality with menus and NPC's and monsters that explode into cash and food...

It's a video game alright, but I guess it comes down to the authors will whether he believes the creators created a perfect reality code or not.

It wasn't a virtual reality game. It was a perfectly normal PC MMO, and it certainly didn't have millions of AIs completely indistinguishable from humans.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

It wasn't a virtual reality game. It was a perfectly normal PC MMO, and it certainly didn't have millions of AIs completely indistinguishable from humans.

I understand the plot, but they still have elements such as teleportation, respawning and menues. I don't really expect him to find the developer console or anything, but rather exploit a loophole seems to be where we are going here.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
New episode.

Sure is Alucard in here.

I'd be interested to know if those crafting components Shiroe used are finite. The possibility of giving any PotL unlimited respawns (if not necessarily immortality) sounds like it would make scribes very, very important.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Well, it wasn't a TOS, but close enough. Makes me wonder if this means that new skills can be developed. Like if a martial artist player can use what they learned and develop them into skills.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

The Evil Thing posted:

New episode.

Sure is Alucard in here.

I'd be interested to know if those crafting components Shiroe used are finite. The possibility of giving any PotL unlimited respawns (if not necessarily immortality) sounds like it would make scribes very, very important.

Probably very high level drops from endgame raids. Troublesome to perform now.

Dante Logos posted:

Well, it wasn't a TOS, but close enough. Makes me wonder if this means that new skills can be developed. Like if a martial artist player can use what they learned and develop them into skills.
Yes.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Reshaping reality with the power of friendship contract law!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Excellent episode. Yes, yes, I know I was ragging on the cheapness of reviving a character earlier, but the whole contract thing showing how the world really doesn't play by the old rules anymore was really cool. Also, that was a very nice face that Crusty was making during the battle. I half-expected him to howl at the moon or laugh maniacally like someone from Hellsing! :unsmigghh:

I think that I look forward to Log Horizon more each week than Kill la Kill, actually!

• Locked thread