Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Okay, just so I don't get too far into the game and miss it, when do I get the bonuses that I got from playing the demo of the game?

Immediately. As soon as the opening FMVs end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

For the special moves, if you have to Brave 20 times, does that mean in a single battle? Or is it cumulative?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Huh, weird, I got to the part where I was running around talking to people in the inn and all I had in my inventory was a dagger and a linen robe. Wait, don't tell me that the demo still has to be on my 3DS to claim those bonuses...I kept the save information, but deleted the demo.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

irlZaphod posted:

For the special moves, if you have to Brave 20 times, does that mean in a single battle? Or is it cumulative?

It's cumulative.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Ugh i want to have one of all the classes i have so far (black mage,knight,monk,white mage) but i still haven't done the tutorial quest for the level 3 freelancer ability and while the reward probably isn't worth all the effort i have to do all those quests ohmygoooooooood.

How many job levels are there for each class? I know it's no longer 4 each from the demo.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

There's 14 levels for each job

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Twelve by Pies posted:

Huh, weird, I got to the part where I was running around talking to people in the inn and all I had in my inventory was a dagger and a linen robe. Wait, don't tell me that the demo still has to be on my 3DS to claim those bonuses...I kept the save information, but deleted the demo.

I don't know about this game, but every other demo with transfer stuff I ever played on the 3DS specifically stated that you had to keep the demo until you start the full game to get the stuff.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Ugh i want to have one of all the classes i have so far (black mage,knight,monk,white mage) but i still haven't done the tutorial quest for the level 3 freelancer ability and while the reward probably isn't worth all the effort i have to do all those quests ohmygoooooooood.

How many job levels are there for each class? I know it's no longer 4 each from the demo.

There's 14. The leveling curve is fairly smooth until lvl 9 where the jp required to level up drastically increases.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

The Level 3 freelancer ability is pretty handy though, I leveled Agnes up to get it. I don't keep it equipped all the time as I still only have 1 Support slot for everyone, but when I'm in a dungeon I'll throw it on for a second to check the number of chests (especially if I've just switched floors).

Martini Mice-Cream
Feb 17, 2011
Can't believe I've missed this thread when the demo was released in North America. I've just started the full game and played somewhat 30 minutes of it. Within those 30 minutes it's established that Ringabel is a womanizer just from a tutorial, there was some wild AR action going on with Agnes, the brief character intros were nice(even with spectacular village destruction), and the voices are alright even though the fairy is expectedly sickening sweet. I'm fine with the game so far. And I'll add my info to the list ASAP.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Did you complete the demo? I do know that you are supposed to get your stuff as soon as you start a new game.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
FrickenMoron you were kidding when you said your link was powerful. It one shot a Beelzebub that I had no right beating at level 3. I didn't catch the exact damage but I see that your power level listed is in no way unearned. :v:

e: You're greyed out now, so I guess I need to update data after you've done so before you (or others) act accordingly?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Martini Mice-Cream posted:

Did you complete the demo? I do know that you are supposed to get your stuff as soon as you start a new game.

Yeah I redownloaded the demo and as soon as I started a new game this time, it asked me if I wanted to transfer the bonuses. I have no idea why just the save data isn't good enough, I know it is on other systems, but oh well.

The opening AR movie is weird to me. All I see is the inside of the character model no matter where I point my 3DS, so it just looks terrible. I guess maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Has anyone posted a "before I play"-esque list of general tips in this thread? I don't play a lot of JRPGs, so I tend to be insecure when going into a new one. I'm wondering what sort of things I should keep in mind.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Well then.

I just fought the Dragon, and what the hell, game? That escalated incredibly quickly. If I had gone for another turn, I would have lost.

"That would be lying!"

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
What is "Brave Attack rate?" I'm looking at the description for DEX and I'm curious.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So after using a friend in battle they are greyed out - do they ever come back?

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER

Wildtortilla posted:

What is "Brave Attack rate?" I'm looking at the description for DEX and I'm curious.

Sometimes you'll start a battle with 1 BP instead of 0 BP. The higher your Brave Attack rate, the more often this occurs.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Comrade Flynn posted:

So after using a friend in battle they are greyed out - do they ever come back?

If people send a new attack.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, it feels great sending my friends a character who does 9999 damage.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Man, it feels great sending my friends a character who does 9999 damage.

I feel like the goon spreadsheet needs a notation for people that have characters like this. It seems like everyone I'm adding is level 10 :(

EDIT: Jesus loving christ, Gyoru.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 9, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Well, I just got through the area with the Ogres. It was as big a pain in the rear end as people were saying. I had Agnes as a White Mage for healing. As long as I could keep up with the damage, I was fine, but holy hell sometimes they'd just dogpile on somebody and welp, Ringabel's down again. And Phoenix Downs are goddamn expensive! The place was sloooowly bleeding me dry, to say nothing of being able to save up and buy new spells/equipment!

But I got through it, and immediately shoved Ringabel into Black Mage. Now all is well and I can one-shot those assholes with Fire.

Can't wait to pick up some more jobs. :D

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Silver Falcon posted:

Well, I just got through the area with the Ogres. It was as big a pain in the rear end as people were saying. I had Agnes as a White Mage for healing. As long as I could keep up with the damage, I was fine, but holy hell sometimes they'd just dogpile on somebody and welp, Ringabel's down again. And Phoenix Downs are goddamn expensive! The place was sloooowly bleeding me dry, to say nothing of being able to save up and buy new spells/equipment!

But I got through it, and immediately shoved Ringabel into Black Mage. Now all is well and I can one-shot those assholes with Fire.

Can't wait to pick up some more jobs. :D

The cost of Phoenix Down becomes immaterial pretty quick.

Anyway, Knight is the best class; knight Tiz solo'd Orthros, since everybody but him died from a single hellfire/blazzard combo. Combo of shield bash and that skill that uses bp to deal damage based on defense is ridiculous.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Downloading and added my friend info to spreadsheet.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's fun summoning like 5 people in one turn and getting 30 billion buffs to use for one turn of thousands of damage, although that means waiting awhile for new attacks.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Comrade Flynn posted:

I feel like the goon spreadsheet needs a notation for people that have characters like this. It seems like everyone I'm adding is level 10 :(

EDIT: Jesus loving christ, Gyoru.

I just used him too. That damage was insane.
When a friend's move says the power is 5 or 6 digits it is not kidding. FrickenMoron's Power is 285374 :psypop:

I just updated my attack to a 447 power one. I'm only level 8 or 9 in it, but it's a monk using some phoenix move so it'll be handy for other people who're just starting out, which appears to be most of my friends list. :D

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Everyone should make sure they keep their Summon-Send assists up to date. Too many people have the tutorial Tiz+Attack assist. :argh:

Summon Friend->Send is free and doesn't cost any BP. You can tag pretty much any skill for it. You're going to have to Bravely Second when assigning it, if you want to break the 9999 damage cap.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So in Chapter 1, what jobs are people leveling up with what characters? And I assume the job combo thing people are talking about is that you can have one "active" job (that you are leveling up) and one passive job (that you leveled before?) First JRPG I've played in years so trying to figure this all out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Tiz Monk, Agnes White Mage, Ringabell Freelancer (eventually knight), Edea Black Mage.

Make sure you find the chest in 3F that the tutorial quest mentions, your monk will thank you.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have a question about the demo. I've beaten it through the Automaton boss but the NPC guy who talks about bonuses says I'm still missing something. Is there another night quest I have to find or something?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

I have a question about the demo. I've beaten it through the Automaton boss but the NPC guy who talks about bonuses says I'm still missing something. Is there another night quest I have to find or something?

Did you finish everything in the village?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hakkesshu posted:

Did you finish everything in the village?

You mean the Norende thing?

VVV Welp, guess I'll have to wait for some number of hours then. Thanks!

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 9, 2014

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Strange Quark posted:

Did you fully upgrade the village?

Even when I check on something e;fb

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Can a Monk outlevel their fist weapon?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Comrade Flynn posted:

And I assume the job combo thing people are talking about is that you can have one "active" job (that you are leveling up) and one passive job (that you leveled before?) First JRPG I've played in years so trying to figure this all out.

That's right, a character can have a primary and secondary job, and use any of the menu command abilities they've learned from those two jobs. The primary job gains JP to level up and learn new abilities, the secondary job does not.

A character can also use any support abilities they've learned, from any combination of jobs. Those are the passive abilities, not the ones you select from the menu during battle. They don't have to be from the two jobs that character is currently using, it's limited only by how many slots you have to put them in.

Whichever job is your primary also gives you one support ability "for free", for example a knight has the Protect Ally ability without having to use a support slot for it.

Edit:

Superstring posted:

Yes, they can, and their damage will suffer for it. If this has happened, then the optimise option will remove it and leave them barehanded.

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Feb 9, 2014

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

Gyoru posted:

Summon Friend->Send is free and doesn't cost any BP. You can tag pretty much any skill for it. You're going to have to Bravely Second when assigning it, if you want to break the 9999 damage cap.

Thank you for reminding me of this, now everyone on my friend list gets a 24k power attack instead of 9999!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Strange Quark posted:

You mean the Norende thing?

Yeah, you get a bonus for getting everything up to level 3. Unless you did the save/reload trick that's going to take you like a day or so, though.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I just got done with the boss fight that gives you the merchant asterisk. God, that was brutal. I basically burned through all my phoenix downs and hi-potions that I'd accumulated from the demo/tutorial quests and all the friend summons I had banked. x_x

So what's the proper way to do that fight? Because it was a struggle for me to keep my people standing when one of the guys you're fighting can just fire off two 300 HP attacks in a row without regard for your defense stat or Defaulting :argh:. I basically just completely ignored his mercenary buddy and he eventually left when I got Profiteur down to a certain health range, but it was still a nightmare trying to fight through a constant cycle of "Default -> Brave -> Takeover x2".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Evil Fluffy posted:

Tiz Monk, Agnes White Mage, Ringabell Freelancer (eventually knight), Edea Black Mage.

Make sure you find the chest in 3F that the tutorial quest mentions, your monk will thank you.

Ringabel makes a better mage/support character since he's the fastest character and Edea is physically the strongest and as a Thief equipped with mythril bows her damage output is ludicrous.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

W.T. Fits posted:

I just got done with the boss fight that gives you the merchant asterisk. [...] So what's the proper way to do that fight?

Damage Dispersion from black mage on everyone, or just come back when everyone has more than 600 HP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Superstring posted:

Pretty sure this happened atleast once in my playthrough but then again, I did spend a lot of time just grinding jobs while watching internet videos. At least there's no harm in removing your weapon to see what kind of damage you'll do.

Gyoru posted:

Everyone should make sure they keep their Summon-Send assists up to date. Too many people have the tutorial Tiz+Attack assist. :argh:
I once felt like updating it so I buffed up as much as I could then unleashed an amped strike with one of my pirates only for it to do 0 damage thanks to
the bosses shield. I kept it for quite a while just for fun.

Edit: My current one does 60819 damage so add me if you want to utterly destroy something.

Dastardly fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 9, 2014

• Locked thread