Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
BD looks like a regular-rear end JRPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Compare it to something like FF13 and see why people are into it. It's a JRPG but it's not anime flips and feathered hair.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
It's a very well executed classic JRPG, which is something that doesn't happen all that often anymore. I'm digging it, but it won't change anyone's mind about the genre.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

It's a classic JRPG, in that it's basically JRPGs from like fifteen years ago. It's the JRPG version of the 'retro style puzzle platformers' and all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

It is, but there's a sense of energy and craft to it that you typically don't see from that genre. It's hard to describe why, but it's so much more satisfying on a mechanical level than any other JRPG I've played lately. It'd do the game a disservice to throw it in the same bucket as the usual assembly-line anime crap that is the Tales series or Avunculur Irie or whatever the gently caress those games are called.

(Although they are making it super easy to dismiss out of hand with a name like Bravely loving Default)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

When was the last time a straight up class system turn-based JRPG like this came out? I'm going to say DQ9 was the last one. Point is, it's not like the market is oversaturated with these things.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Amppelix posted:

When was the last time a straight up class system turn-based JRPG like this came out? I'm going to say DQ9 was the last one. Point is, it's not like the market is oversaturated with these things.

All of them are Class System Turn-Based JRPGs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Holy Cheese posted:

Perhaps if Japanese men grew up we could have something different in a JRPG for once. :colbert:

Funny thing, characters in anime have gotten more feminine and younger as time went on. The Japanese were really into the whole 70's, 80's style in America which is why in a lot of anime in the 80's and early 90's feature broad-shouldered characters wearing blazers with lovely haircuts. Now, not so much. Most characters these days look like some milquetoast chump dressed in belts and zippers with lovely haircuts.

It's most likely the reason why with the US version of Nier we got manly angry dad instead of girlish older bro. Different culture with different tastes.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm just happy with a notFinal Fantasy game that doesn't have its fist up its rear end about having callbacks to fuckin' everything in older FFs so as to not add anything itself. And I like job systems.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I played through the demo today. It took me like 5 hours and I had a great time. I even liked the 30 or so minutes of grinding I did. It was fun!

I'm pretty shocked, honestly.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
The combat system seems like a really interesting evolution of FF combat, with lots of modern design convenience options like turning random encounters off or speeding up battle. But, like all classic JRPGs, from the 2 or so hours of it I've seen I'm going to go ahead and assume the story is as throwaway and meaningless as usual.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kasonic posted:

The combat system seems like a really interesting evolution of FF combat, with lots of modern design convenience options like turning random encounters off or speeding up battle. But, like all classic JRPGs, from the 2 or so hours of it I've seen I'm going to go ahead and assume the story is as throwaway and meaningless as usual.

It has its twists and it goes to some incredibly dark places for an art style like this, but I can't say it's at any point good. Sometimes it's interesting enough that you pay attention to dialogue.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I think Jeff has mentioned situations like this before but here's a recent example of a game reviewer's words being twisted out of their original context courtesy of Jason Rohrer about The Castle Doctrine.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Hakkesshu posted:

How easy is it to break the game, anyway? Leveling seems super fast, and if you find the right combination of skills and jobs it'd seem like you could trivialize a lot of the encounters.

Normal random encounters can be broken very early on (around when you get the monk class you can find some pretty powerful weapons for it in chests) but the bosses are designed in ways to encourage strategy and mobs later on will come with tricks to prevent you from just auto-attacking them to death. There's a few bosses on the sidequest chain Brad was trying to trigger that are pretty brutal if you fight them the first chance you get.

I noticed one big mistake Brad made in the QL. He should have had access to some black mage status spells and the wind spell he lamented not having is there but it's for white mages. I guess he didn't try the magic shop in the desert town. t

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Feb 9, 2014

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I know that this is the job, but I really wonder if whoever wrote this for Polygon felt any sort of human emotion when they put this in the Flappy Bird article:

quote:

Nguyen said earlier this week he did not want attention from the media, tweeting, "Press people are overrating the success of my games. It is something I never want. Please give me peace."

We've reached out to Nguyen for comment and will update accordingly.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Yodzilla posted:

I think Jeff has mentioned situations like this before but here's a recent example of a game reviewer's words being twisted out of their original context courtesy of Jason Rohrer about The Castle Doctrine.

"I quite honestly had nothing positive to say about it." = 5/10

Review scores are such a joke

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

NmareBfly posted:

I know that this is the job, but I really wonder if whoever wrote this for Polygon felt any sort of human emotion when they put this in the Flappy Bird article:

Polygon is self-selecting to be completely void of even the slightest hint of self-awareness, so i wouldn't bet on it.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Hargrimm posted:

"I quite honestly had nothing positive to say about it." = 5/10

Review scores are such a joke

well if you are used to how review scores work 5/10 is basically a F-

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Yodzilla posted:

The article seems like the author is being a little bit too sensitive, though i've never been in his shoes so disregard my opinion accordingly, but i still haven't seen anything about that Castle Doctrine guy that makes me think he isn't an egotist and an rear end in a top hat.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Wallrod posted:

The article seems like the author is being a little bit too sensitive, though i've never been in his shoes so disregard my opinion accordingly, but i still haven't seen anything about that Castle Doctrine guy that makes me think he isn't an egotist and an rear end in a top hat.

He's like the anti-indie game developer. If him and an indie game developer collide they will annihilate each other in a beautiful explosion of gammy rays and neutrinos

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Wallrod posted:

There's definitely something creepy about the apparent lengths to which Rohrer has gone to avoid taking down Pitts' quote-- like he's making a point or something? I can imagine him thinking that e-mail chain of requests from Pitts to remove the quote is validation of the Thematic Strength of his Art Game. Another weird thing done by a big ol' weirdo.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I had a weird experience a few months ago when I played Wizardry 6 for the first time. I always heard Wizardry had a big effect on Japanese RPGs, but it's amazing when you play an old western PC RPG and it's almost exactly Dragon Quest III/Final Fantasy. Like class changing, random battles, turn-based combat, the whole shebang.

So if you're looking for an experience like that, you might want to go back to those games. The only thing is the interface is really, really bad. Also the writing is really purple, but certain people will enjoy that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rexicon1 posted:

well if you are used to how review scores work 5/10 is basically a F-

Are we still in a state where reviews of 10 or 9 mean "buy it right now with all of your money", 8 means "we didn't get paid enough for this review but it's still good", 7 means "it's horribly flawed" and 6 and below mean never purchase it ever?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Wallrod posted:

Reminder that he thinks steam sales lose indies money.

Despite every single one of them that has released info about their games sales on the platform saying that it makes them more money and has flow on income effects even after the sale ends.

But he also was so petrified of "people" in his "rough neighbourhood" that he carries pepper spray (which he uses on dogs) and also a baton. He also suggested that English people don't understand bad neighbourhoods.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

CJacobs posted:

Are we still in a state where reviews of 10 or 9 mean "buy it right now with all of your money", 8 means "we didn't get paid enough for this review but it's still good", 7 means "it's horribly flawed" and 6 and below mean never purchase it ever?

Reviews score to the letter grade not to some mythical standard whereby autists think a game that scores 8/10 is literally twice as good as something scored 4/10.

Holy Cheese
Dec 6, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

He's like the anti-indie game developer. If him and an indie game developer collide they will annihilate each other in a beautiful explosion of gammy rays and neutrinos

Now I want a gammy ray. :unsmith:

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

CJacobs posted:

It amazes me how many people think reviewers are paid by publishers for their reviews. Like astounded. Same poo poo has been around since Game Pro, same stupid argument. Polygon 750,000 United States Dollars, not withstanding as it was explicitly stated.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The closest thing to publishers buying reviews is when they fly out journalists to some luxury hotel to play and review the game. Which is pretty gross.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Lol it was a joke but okay.

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Mu Zeta posted:

The closest thing to publishers buying reviews is when they fly out journalists to some luxury hotel to play and review the game. Which is pretty gross.

Also your review copies are free, as long as you don't upset anyone. Also paying youtubers CPM for saying nice things.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Jackie D posted:

Also your review copies are free, as long as you don't upset anyone. Also paying youtubers CPM for saying nice things.
Youtubers aren't people, though?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

And the kind of poo poo that happened with Jeff where threats of pulling ads come if you give a game a bad score.

But other than all of these things, publishers never do any shady poo poo for higher scores.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Specific reviews aren't bought, that's a ridiculous simplification. But headspace is. Bethesda sends Giantbomb a statue that they keep in their office for half a year and Brad is suddenly arguing Skyrim's merits based on how 'important' it is.

EA sent the dudes a pizza to go along with the Medal of Honor patch notes. Like, gently caress everything. Whoever did that is a genius. The fact that I remember that is money well spent.

ankle
Oct 30, 2010

kater posted:

Bethesda sends Giantbomb a statue that they keep in their office for half a year and Brad is suddenly arguing Skyrim's merits based on how 'important' it is.

If this is one of those 'jokes' people talk about and you're painting a fun illustration of how a delusional crazy person thinks than you've done a fantastic job.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules

kater posted:

Specific reviews aren't bought, that's a ridiculous simplification. But headspace is. Bethesda sends Giantbomb a statue that they keep in their office for half a year and Brad is suddenly arguing Skyrim's merits based on how 'important' it is.

EA sent the dudes a pizza to go along with the Medal of Honor patch notes. Like, gently caress everything. Whoever did that is a genius. The fact that I remember that is money well spent.

If you think that a big dumb statue (that they just abandoned in front of Will's desk) is what made him think Skyrim was good, as opposed to Skyrim actually being a good game, you are loving nuts.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

:raise:

rudds
Aug 14, 2013

Did somebody say DOTA?

kater posted:

Bethesda sends Giantbomb a statue that they keep in their office for half a year and Brad is suddenly arguing Skyrim's merits based on how 'important' it is.

Holy poo poo, dude, really?

If you want to talk about the relative merits of Skyrim as an RPG then we can have that conversation, but what value do you think we actually derived from the presence of a lovely fiberglass statue taking up floor space in our office that we accepted because we thought we'd get a funny video out of it? Do you sincerely think that thing had anything to do with what any of us thought about the games that came out that year?

It's confouding to me that someone presumably capable of critical thought such as yourself could make such a bizarre A-to-B leap in logic. Maybe I've been doing this job too long, but that kind of crap got old for me about a decade ago. My prevailing memories of that statue are trolling Will Smith by leaving it in front of his desk, and the inconvenience of figuring out what to do with it when we moved out of that office (we ended up leaving it in there).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ovo posted:

If you think that a big dumb statue (that they just abandoned in front of Will's desk) is what made him think Skyrim was good, as opposed to Skyrim actually being a good game, you are loving nuts.

Or the pizza thing which didn't keep them from badmouthing the game in that very stream.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
Why is this flappy game such a big hit when I'm sure there has been approximately 5 billion games exactly like it since phone gaming became A Thing.

I'm confused.

Also Rudds how are you still amazed at internet people being stupid after however long you've been doing your job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

rudds posted:

Holy poo poo, dude, really?

If you want to talk about the relative merits of Skyrim as an RPG then we can have that conversation, but what value do you think we actually derived from the presence of a lovely fiberglass statue taking up floor space in our office that we accepted because we thought we'd get a funny video out of it? Do you sincerely think that thing had anything to do with what any of us thought about the games that came out that year?

It's confouding to me that someone presumably capable of critical thought such as yourself could make such a bizarre A-to-B leap in logic. Maybe I've been doing this job too long, but that kind of crap got old for me about a decade ago. My prevailing memories of that statue are trolling Will Smith by leaving it in front of his desk, and the inconvenience of figuring out what to do with it when we moved out of that office (we ended up leaving it in there).

heh, you cant fool me Brad Shillmaker. :smuggo:

• Locked thread