Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Some info on claims from Dave Georgeson:

quote:

Okay. Claim flags are *mostly* fixed. Sorry to make you read this, but here goes:

We got rid of all the claims that had been associated with deleted characters. No more "ghost claims" as many folks have been referring to them.
We also set things up so that if a) you don't have a claim, and b) you don't have a claim flag, then you will be granted a claim flag. HOWEVER...you still have to have an inventory space open to receive that flag.
If you *don't* have a space open, then don't fret! Just clear a space, log out of the game, and wait an hour before logging back in! (This is important. Wait a full hour.) If you do this, then when you log in, you'll find a claim flag in your inventory.

NOTE: There is still one known way to screw yourself up. (Bug.) So *if* you're going to delete your character then make sure you ONLY delete your character if you're actually on any island in your HOME WORLD (the world where your claim is located). If you delete your character at any other world, you'll end up bugged. (And we're not going to get to fix that bug until next week, so you'll be messed up for a bit.)

So remember, only delete yourself at home. (Which sounds like extremely odd advice, tbh. But there ya go.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN
What isle are most of you guys on now? Now that the claim UI is getting fixed, it may be easier to find a good spot on Pingo or wherever.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Perick posted:

What isle are most of you guys on now? Now that the claim UI is getting fixed, it may be easier to find a good spot on Pingo or wherever.

There is like 6-10 active people on Pingo. I don't know about other islands.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I have a (crappy) claim in the NW corner of Pingo, but I have not built anything yet since I've been only been in a day gathering and building tools.

Looks like a 1.5gb patch is up. Not sure about the servers since the patcher keeps closing after a few mb.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

grrarg posted:

I have a (crappy) claim in the NW corner of Pingo, but I have not built anything yet since I've been only been in a day gathering and building tools.

Looks like a 1.5gb patch is up. Not sure about the servers since the patcher keeps closing after a few mb.

Georgeson just tweeted to give it a little time before patching and then the launcher should behave.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Launcher appears to be working again. Rush!

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
New server select music! :pcgaming:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Droid Washington posted:

So remember, only delete yourself at home.
I always only delete myself at home!

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Becoming slightly less of an eyesore by the day! I don't know what to do with the top though. Maybe a small building/house? The zone's called, "(character name)'s overlook", so ideally some kind of viewing platform.

Maybe an outdoor bar at ground level.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 8, 2014

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
gently caress it; I was around for PS2, I might as well be around for this.

Jumping in as LobsterParty on Serenity-Pingo.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Feb 8, 2014

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

jabro posted:

David Georgeson just posted his neighbor's creation.

Was thinking about building a chessboard from BB.

E:

I'm streaming my attempt to build the hand from EQ 1 now
http://www.twitch.tv/allborland

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

I made kind of a fenced in bar area,

But most importantly, I decided what to do with all that vertical space. A 5-6 story first person maze, using the stairwell in the towers as level changes. :getin:. The only question is if it should be an rear end in a top hat maze with no solution on the top level. Holes in the ground falling to previous levels and the basecamp bar are a must :frogout:. If Only I had fake ground tools like the infamous BB tree. Maybe I should put a frog at the maze entrance, to match frogtower guy.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
You guys gotta hand it to me:

I'm pretty good at this now :smug:

Filthee Fingas
Jan 5, 2004
It's great being left handed..you can jerk off and still keep the mouse on the right side of the keyboard
Any Euro goons planning to play on the EU servers?

Tempted to get the alpha to play around with in my free time (mainly so I can get good with the tools and the game before it goes live).

So is beta scheduled for end of march? (based on the pricing packs?)

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

Filthee Fingas posted:

Any Euro goons planning to play on the EU servers?

Tempted to get the alpha to play around with in my free time (mainly so I can get good with the tools and the game before it goes live).

So is beta scheduled for end of march? (based on the pricing packs?)

I'll probably play on the EU servers once I figure out how to move my claim.

The patch servers seems a bit slow atm, getting about 5mb of patch, and then it just dies. Restart the client and I get another 5, its weird.

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug
I'll be playing on Understanding Satisfaction/EU myself. As for moving your claim, I believe all you need to is delete your claim and you get your flag back along with a template of whatever you had built.

EDIT: As I've just learned the hard way, the template copy of your removed claim may or may not be actually placeable. :suicide:

kxZyle fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 9, 2014

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Shiiit. Just logged in and got a chance to listen to Jeremy Soule's EverQuest Theme. LOVE it!

Jubilee3rd
Dec 12, 2003

Droid Washington posted:

Shiiit. Just logged in and got a chance to listen to Jeremy Soule's EverQuest Theme. LOVE it!

Yes, I keep the login screen up just to hear the music when I'm not playing and want to browse webs. It is fantastic and I can't wait to buy this soundtrack.

Shodai
Aug 18, 2006
What are you guys doing with your older crafting stations once you craft the latest and greatest? I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to deleting stage this early in the alpha.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shodai posted:

What are you guys doing with your older crafting stations once you craft the latest and greatest? I'm a bit paranoid when it comes to deleting stage this early in the alpha.

I keep my older ones in my inventory in the case of a claim wipe or disappearance issue. That way I wouldn't have to start from scratch.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.
My mountainside claim is starting to come together, with my meager skills. I've built a series of smaller outcropping buildings, with tunnels and stairs through and around the mountain connecting them all.

It's hard to screenshot, but I like the way it's coming so far, even if I suck at making roofs.

I'm most proud of my functional spiral staircase. That was an engineering challenge.

Everything is just to the northeast of the portal crystal on Serenity-Vent if someone wants to come and laugh at my terrible roofing work. My next project is actually gathering materials for props and interior decoration.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

All these pictures make me ashamed of how terrible my claim is. Hopefully no one ever stumbles upon it.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
This is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of the tools. I'm terrible at 3D placement if it's not like Minecraft. :( I'm Kyomu in game and have a claim in the northeastern desert on a mountain in Serenity-Draw.

I'm also jealous of everyone's building skills. :v:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Is there an announced day for Beta?

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

Kortel posted:

Is there an announced day for Beta?

Probably March 31 for closed Beta since that's the date the site mentions as a delivery date for the purchasable pack that guarantees access to the closed Beta.

LegionAreI posted:

This is actually pretty fun once you get the hang of the tools. I'm terrible at 3D placement if it's not like Minecraft. :( I'm Kyomu in game and have a claim in the northeastern desert on a mountain in Serenity-Draw.

I'm also jealous of everyone's building skills. :v:

Press G to get cubes and stuff to stick to a grid. If you use the 3x3 cube shape it's pretty close to the size of Minecraft's blocks and how you place them.

suction
Jul 17, 2009
That hand is perfect for my goatse masterpiece. Plaese do a tutorial on how you created the hand.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

suction posted:

That hand is perfect for my goatse masterpiece. Plaese do a tutorial on how you created the hand.

At the very least use the Selection tool to copy/paste the hand so it's two hands in the form of goatse. You have a goon duty.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Droid Washington posted:

At the very least use the Selection tool to copy/paste the hand so it's two hands in the form of goatse. You have a goon duty.

I could easily add a ring around one of them too.
I thought twice about carving a hole in my mountain and having the hands look like they were opening it.

suction
Jul 17, 2009
What's holding me back right now is getting enough ruby for the right shade of red. I could cheap out and use Natural Amaranthine, but that's just not the right color for the inside of an anus.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Are you all bothering with multiple tries for legendary tools? My legendary axe is so awesome but I'm not sure it's worth however many tries it would take for the pick.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Bunk Rogers posted:

Are you all bothering with multiple tries for legendary tools? My legendary axe is so awesome but I'm not sure it's worth however many tries it would take for the pick.

Currently the highest tier is Indigo (which can mine materials that aren't even in the game yet). I made mine after 9 attempts, with 2 Mastercraft Bracers.
It would be a wasted effort to actively try to roll a low tier legendary pick. Rare is good enough.
Crafting the legendary Copper Axe is important because its mats are relatively easy to get and it can harvest any tree in the game, unlike pickaxes.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

suction posted:

What's holding me back right now is getting enough ruby for the right shade of red. I could cheap out and use Natural Amaranthine, but that's just not the right color for the inside of an anus.

Ruby looks cool. It's worth more for building than making items imo!

Here's my use of ruby in my engine room:

Coming along nicely so far:

It's on scarp on the mountain right west of the hub if you wanna check it out.

Prophecy120
Feb 4, 2003

God Bless the Enclave! God Bless America!

Remb posted:

Currently the highest tier is Indigo (which can mine materials that aren't even in the game yet). I made mine after 9 attempts, with 2 Mastercraft Bracers.
It would be a wasted effort to actively try to roll a low tier legendary pick. Rare is good enough.
Crafting the legendary Copper Axe is important because its mats are relatively easy to get and it can harvest any tree in the game, unlike pickaxes.

What's the stats on a legendary Indigo pick just out of curiosity?

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

With 2 Rings of Brawn, I sit at almost 250 damage.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
Man, you guys weren't kidding. There are poo poo for claims out right now. I found a mountain top claim but its in the loving boonies.

Has this alleged claim ..duplicate purge thing happened yet?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Haha, I started making a maze on a whim awhile ago. I'm three stories in and people seem to love it. Someone got lost in level 2 for awhile and asked me if there was a way out or if I was just messing with people. I'm up to level 3 now, starting 4 tonight. Want to come run the maze? I'm dead south of the spire on Courage server/Alas tier 1. It's close enough to spires that you can't miss it. I'm pretty creatively bankrupt, but people seem to like it and I'm getting a lot of positive feedback.

It's very crude right now. Stone and mud, with gemstones on the doors. I want to repaint the levels with rarer materials and some art on the walls soon.

Cross-section of the 3 floors so far.

Meow Tse-tung fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Feb 9, 2014

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

PadreScout posted:

The purge happened a few days ago, but I'd bet there are still people with 2 claims; I've got an extra flag sitting in my vault so other people probably do also.
More servers are incoming next week. Also you can shift your claim on the Z-Axis with scroll wheel to take land that isn't apparently available.

Last week was far worse than now. They recently doubled the number of islands and tripled the number of servers.
Queues were in the thousands, and only an elite few could call themselves landowners.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

PadreScout posted:

Man, you guys weren't kidding. There are poo poo for claims out right now. I found a mountain top claim but its in the loving boonies.

I believe it did. The boonie thing won't be too bad if/when they add a teleport to claim/spire option. As it is now, I just farm along the way when I go visit you guys in the boonies.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

PadreScout posted:

The claim I found the other night on Serenity/Pingo included a lovely house and some crafting stations that I can't delete.
I'm pretty sure it was a "not oldest" claim that some other person lost in the purge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Have any of you found a good material for writing letters that are visible from a distance? Emerald looked great at night, but during the day it was hard to read. I ended up with 5 levels of maze. Come check it out! Tomorrow I'll work on the outside and see if I can make the inside look nicer, somehow.

• Locked thread