Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
It's been said, but this game is getting really frustrating in the way that you need X character to unlock Y, and once you get behind in that routine you can never catch up.

The Marvel Facebook game had the same kind of thing going on to encourage you to get new characters, but at least it allowed you to outright buy the one you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

silvergoose posted:

Wouldn't a cheat have similar access to hp and iso, and similar lack of access to different color covers?

Why would a cheat not have access to everything? If it can tweak variables that govern the real money currency, I'd think it could do pretty much anything.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

AnonSpore posted:

Why would a cheat not have access to everything? If it can tweak variables that govern the real money currency, I'd think it could do pretty much anything.

No idea, I could imagine "which covers you have" being harder to manipulate than "how much iso/hp you have". Not saying it *is*, just that however they're doing things, it could be.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

silvergoose posted:

No idea, I could imagine "which covers you have" being harder to manipulate than "how much iso/hp you have". Not saying it *is*, just that however they're doing things, it could be.

Switching hex value #3414 instead of #4523 is the same difficulty. That guy is a whale who immediately maxes any new cover he gets. He probably doesn't actually buy tokens because that would be even dumber and wins all his covers legitimately.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

A.o.D. posted:

If you don't you are by definition still in the early game.

Fair call, but if you are not end game then it certainly makes a difference. Most of the people playing will not be anywhere near the end game so you are talking about a minority of players who can get around the heal system.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Can't you still go to one of the Venom prologue levels that has a Spider-man with blue and yellow powers team up?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Russad posted:

Can't you still go to one of the Venom prologue levels that has a Spider-man with blue and yellow powers team up?

Did that for so long before I got my OBW up to max.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Russad posted:

Heh, I totally forgot that was even a thing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Russad posted:

It's really hard to keep Venom alive if you have beefy dudes with thousands of health missing, even over multiple missions.

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
Anyone else notice that PvP skips now cost iso? I almost didnt see it.

E: and like that its gone. It definitely showed a 20 iso cost until I reloaded.

l33tfuzzbox fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 7, 2014

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

l33tfuzzbox posted:

Anyone else notice that PvP skips now cost iso? I almost didnt see it.

Not on mine though I did have it pop up the other day for a brief time.

It shouldn't be active yet according to this
http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3188

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009

Friendly Fire posted:

Not on mine though I did have it pop up the other day for a brief time.

It shouldn't be active yet according to this
http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3188

That explains it. Thanks.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Three times today I have been one turn away from victory and then the cpu gets some incredible bullshit cascade that gives it three criticals and around 12 orbs of each color, then it murders me. I know it is just chance but it is annoying as hell.

Also, trying to keep your points above 400 with a weak defensive team is just not happening.

chrisf
Feb 29, 2008

Updates on the skip tax: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3362
As a summary of what this will look like with R48:

- The Victory Bonus begins at +30 Iso for a win
- The bonus lowers by 10 Iso per Skip
- The bonus disappears at 0, then caps out at -10 Iso per skip after additional skips
- The bonus returns to +30 Iso after the match is completed, win or lose
- The Victory Bonus is only gained if the Agent is successful in their matchup

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Is there an updated beginner's and character guide for this game?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This is the weirdest thing because the times I'm skipping a team because it's too strong are about 1 in 50 compared to the times I'm skipping a team because regardless of who's in it they have half or less of my current rating.

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

chrisf posted:

Updates on the skip tax: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3362
As a summary of what this will look like with R48:

- The Victory Bonus begins at +30 Iso for a win
- The bonus lowers by 10 Iso per Skip
- The bonus disappears at 0, then caps out at -10 Iso per skip after additional skips
- The bonus returns to +30 Iso after the match is completed, win or lose
- The Victory Bonus is only gained if the Agent is successful in their matchup

It looks like you get 3 skips before you start having to pay any iso. 10 isn't a huge amount, and as long as you're not skipping more than 5 times you'll be earning more iso than before. I feel like this is a change in a good direction since it's pretty difficult right now to earn significant amounts of iso from the pvp events.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I'm just not going to skip anymore. I need ISO more than rank at this point.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I got a Marvel NOW Magneto from my Triple Edged heroic token. Did it screw up and give me something from the Fearless pool?

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Mister Macys posted:

Is there an updated beginner's and character guide for this game?

Did you finally get a not lovely phone?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

beaner69 posted:

Did you finally get a not lovely phone?

Check your privilege Yeyo.

Yes, by the way.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I got a Marvel NOW Magneto from my Triple Edged heroic token. Did it screw up and give me something from the Fearless pool?
No, despite the name and art its really just a regular heroic token roll that has all the three star and four star results locked to a Wolverine.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I wish they would do an MMR reset because I am facing nothing but 100+ Spider-Man/Patch/85OBW teams in this tournament. It took me something like 35 minutes to win a single match but my MMR hasnt budged. I don't have the roster to hang with these people I just won using +3/all before :I

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
wrong thread

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 8, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3363

Interestingly, the devs have looked at the skip tax and decided to use a carrot approach instead. If you attack the first person you see, it's a 30 iso bonus, decreasing each time you skip until it's a -5 bonus.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I, I... just used a shield. The shame! In my defense I used it after getting the 50 HP from reaching 500 points so it will only cost me a grand total of 50.

The constant retaliations are just too much, and I really want those Spider-man covers (I should end among the top 15, I hope) so I'll see what happens. By my calculations, spider-man will be nerfed tomorrow.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
A shield shouldn't cost you anything if you place in the top 45. I figure it's just an investment that will pay itself back and I can go away from the game for 3 hours.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

trucutru posted:

I, I... just used a shield. The shame! In my defense I used it after getting the 50 HP from reaching 500 points so it will only cost me a grand total of 50.

The constant retaliations are just too much, and I really want those Spider-man covers (I should end among the top 15, I hope) so I'll see what happens. By my calculations, spider-man will be nerfed tomorrow.

Joke's on you!

You'll be dead tomorrow

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Snazzy Frocks posted:

A shield shouldn't cost you anything if you place in the top 45. I figure it's just an investment that will pay itself back and I can go away from the game for 3 hours.

Oh, top 45 is not a problem, but I really do want those top 15 rewards.

Anyways, how do shields actually work? I still get attacked, but I don't lose points (although I do get points on a successful defense), what I'm trying to ask is if my MMR will go down from all the loses I have while shielded? I sure hope so, since my team of M.Storm, Patch, Thor really sucks at defense at their current 40ish levels.

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I must say I approve of this weekend's events. They mean I get to take this weekend completely off from the game.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I got a daily login heroic token and jokingly said if it wasn't something I couldn't use I would just quit the game.

Last blue my OBW needed so she's 3/5/5 now. You live another day, game.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs
I defended the Wolverine/Thor nerfs because I thought Wolvy especially was still pretty solid, and it was ridiculous how everyone used them.

And they haven't been the problem. It's all the scaling PvE and the bullshit where you have to already be ahead to compete. This game needs more freebies. A roll of the dice once a week on weekly logins that ultimately lead to bagman or Captain America sucks. And I dread every new character because they all just signal one more thing I won't be able to participate in 3 days later. gently caress this game. It was so good a few months ago and now it sucks.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Daredevil's mechanic is interesting, but so far, they have been thoroughly underwhelming. They're too expensive, and when they do go off, they just don't do enough to justify their downside. He's a 3* bag man.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

A.o.D. posted:

Daredevil's mechanic is interesting, but so far, they have been thoroughly underwhelming. They're too expensive, and when they do go off, they just don't do enough to justify their downside. He's a 3* bag man.

Yeah, it seems like having attacks be predictable is a pretty important aspect of tight fights. Having it not go off when you need it to makes it pretty worthless. And for the effect to be strong enough to make up for its unpredictability, it would probably feel pretty unfair.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, by the time they would be activating, I've already progressed to spiderman lockdown

Happy Bear Suit
Jul 21, 2004

This game sucks the D now. From all the HP reward nerfs, the still-unreachable progression rewards which the devs said they were going to fix (which WAS reachable until they decided to change the stupid shield mechanic), raising the prices of boosts, the still-absent cover re-spec, the awful awful AWFUL level scaling in PVE events, this game is now dogshit. It was amazing a few months ago but I guess the developers just want more money so they're going with the "poo poo on the wall" design philosophy to see what boundaries they can get away with. gently caress this game and gently caress Daredevil. He sucks.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Skip tax? I have a highest level character of Iron Man 35 who is 25 and I'm routinely being thrown teams of two or more 40's.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Lofty132 posted:

Skip tax? I have a highest level character of Iron Man 35 who is 25 and I'm routinely being thrown teams of two or more 40's.

That's because you always skip until you find a team you can beat, so your MMR has gone up too much. With the introduction of this tax, you'll mash FIGHT against a team of 85's so that you have a chance at that sweet, sweet +30 IP.

Oh wait, no you won't, that's retarded. You'll still fish for a team you can actually beat, only now you'll get less rewards.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Devor posted:

That's because you always skip until you find a team you can beat, so your MMR has gone up too much. With the introduction of this tax, you'll mash FIGHT against a team of 85's so that you have a chance at that sweet, sweet +30 IP.

Oh wait, no you won't, that's retarded. You'll still fish for a team you can actually beat, only now you'll get less rewards.

No I won't be skipping anybody so this is all just sweet extra ISO for me.

Did anyone notice they switched cityscape for desert? And has oasis always been 25? Seems really cheap for 6 green tiles, it's crazy, but it's nice that environment tiles are actually worth matching for once.

Edit: nice cascade, AI.

messagemode1 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

messagemode1 posted:

Edit: nice cascade, AI.

At least it is not the jungle. I've had OBW/Storm do four cycles of cascades -> thorny rose, before killing me.