Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'm not 100% sure yet, but that's only because Netflix doesn't have Vikings up for streaming :argh:

Honestly, if you're casting Carol Danvers, the first thing you need to do is just check to see if Michelle Rodriguez can pull off blonde hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Danvers isn't a one-note "tough bitch" cliche though...

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

PupsOfWar posted:

Emayatzy Corinealdi

Gesundheit

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Rosario Dawson for Carol Danvers.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Rosario Dawson for Carol Danvers.

Rosario is busy playing Renee Montoya/The Question in an imaginary dreamworld where Warner/DC knows what it is doing.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Feb 9, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Katee Sackhoff retweeted this picture:

Great, now someone has put the idea into her head too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

She's been talking about wanting to play Carol for like the last year. I'm pretty sure she was actually meeting with Marvel around the same time as Vin Diesel.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Sackhoff isn't a good actress, but modern-era Carol is not a hard character to play, so it would probably not be the worst thing.

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Feb 9, 2014

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I'm not a huge fan, but she did play a tough fighter pilot lady so there are probably worse choices.

I would've said she's not high profile enough for a Marvel film, but then I remembered that they put loving Dave Batista in their big holiday blockbuster so who loving knows.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
To be fair, Batista is a smart choice for what is basically a dude who hates and not much else. If Carol is a pretty easy character to play, Drax is a walk in the park.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hakkesshu posted:

I would've said she's not high profile enough for a Marvel film, but then I remembered that they put loving Dave Batista in their big holiday blockbuster so who loving knows.

none of the people who have been mentioned are very high-profile, but I don't think that is too big a concern in a world where Chris Hemsworth is allowed to headline blockbuster films

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

PupsOfWar posted:

Sackhoff isn't a good actress, but modern-era Carol is not a hard character to play, so it would probably not be the worst thing.
Sackhoff can't carry a solo film by herself though. I think she would be alright in an Avengers film as a supporting character though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sackhoff can't carry a solo film by herself though. I think she would be alright in an Avengers film as a supporting character though.

Well, can Gal Gadot really carry a Wonder Woman film on her own at this point? Or did anyone suspect that Chris Hemsworth could carry a film before he did it? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't really want her to get the part. But you can build up a supporting cast around whoever gets that role and just hope that it works out in the end. That's what they did with Thor and it worked.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
And it can be argued that Cavill and Bale didn't really carry their roles.

The "carry a movie" probably only matters for awards seasons or movies that are gunning to be outright amazing, which is too high a bar for most comicbook adaptations anwyay.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I admit to Starbuck being my favorite character on the 2000s BSG, and the only other thing I've seen her in is Riddick where she was, okay. Its not like those movies require a lot of depth, anyways, she wouldn't be my choice. I'd still of chosen Anna Torv out of her, but hey, maybe Whedon will demand more out of her. I don't think at this point Marvel/Disney is going to choose bad people for roles, because they've really done such a good job so far.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Speaking of casting, it surprises me there are still people who are asking how Paul Bettany will play both Jarvis and Vision in the same movie instead of figuring out the obvious.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Speaking of casting, it surprises me there are still people who are asking how Paul Bettany will play both Jarvis and Vision in the same movie instead of figuring out the obvious.

I seriously always thought Jarvis was Jude Law for some reason.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Well he did play a sex robot once.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

The MSJ posted:

The prodigal AI returns...

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

PupsOfWar posted:

Rosario is busy playing Renee Montoya/The Question in an imaginary dreamworld where Warner/DC knows what it is doing.

I'm cool with that world.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

On the opposite note, I seriously thought the villain in Rise of the Guardians was Paul Bettany until the credits.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Error 404 posted:

Here's hoping Clark wrassles some polar bears and fights a giant loving spider in act 3 of the sequel. :v:

Well, he didn't fight any polar bears (I kinda remember a couple being in the background when he was in the arctic, I think?), but he absolutely fought a giant spider in Act 3. It was just made out of Buckyballs.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

SlimGoodbody posted:

Well, he didn't fight any polar bears (I kinda remember a couple being in the background when he was in the arctic, I think?), but he absolutely fought a giant spider in Act 3. It was just made out of Buckyballs.

Goddammit. You're right!
MoS was the greatest Superman movie ever.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

The MSJ posted:

Well he did play a sex robot once.

And also is one in real life.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dan Didio posted:

And also is one in real life.

He was all of history's great robot actors! Acting Unit 0.8! Thespomat! David Duchovny!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The only thing I ask of the person playing Captain Marvel is they do it with a strong Boston accent.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Boogaleeboo posted:

The only thing I ask of the person playing Captain Marvel is they do it with a strong Boston accent.
Maybe Affleck will get a better reception this time.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Urdnot Fire posted:

Maybe Affleck will get a better reception this time.

Now I want Affleck's Batman to have a boston accent, like right out of Good Will Hunting.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Deadpool posted:

Or did anyone suspect that Chris Hemsworth could carry a film before he did it?
Well, yes. Execs were freaking the gently caress out over the Cabin in the Woods dailies (Produced before Thor) and there was a lot of buzz about his small appearance as Kirk's dad in Star Trek. Thor is where the dude really made his name, but Hemsworth would have always ended up being a leading man even without Thor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

Vincent posted:

Now I want Affleck's Batman to have a boston accent, like right out of Good Will Hunting.

I've always thought Gotham was based on Boston or Philadelphia. :colbert:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Gotham is in New Jersey.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

"Gotham" is literally an old nickname for NYC. It's still around, too: http://gothamist.com/

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Boogaleeboo posted:

Ya, I just punched Thanos wikkid hard, that homo.

It's strange, I've spent a lot of time in Boston, and I only ever met like 3 people who talked in that kind of accent. So my imagining of it is much more based on the Departed than anything else.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

HaitianDivorce posted:

"Gotham" is literally an old nickname for NYC. It's still around, too: http://gothamist.com/

Yes, but over the years Gotham City from Batman has been unofficially (or even officially at at least one point) set in NJ. It's far more consistent than say, where Metropolis is, where DC can't ever seem to decide if it's in Kansas or out on the coast.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I put Gotham in Massachusetts too, personally. Though, when asked what cities they were, didn't somebody say that Metropolis was New York during the day and Gotham was New York at night?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Deadpool posted:

Well, can Gal Gadot really carry a Wonder Woman film on her own at this point? Or did anyone suspect that Chris Hemsworth could carry a film before he did it? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't really want her to get the part. But you can build up a supporting cast around whoever gets that role and just hope that it works out in the end. That's what they did with Thor and it worked.

Let's not pretend that Thor didn't luck out with the studios allowing Brannagh to cast Hiddleston as Loki. The film would have sunk without him, or at least the Thor and Loki aspects.

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme
Mar 19, 2009

Gods don't make mistakes
I always figured Metropolis was supposed to be Chicago since it's the closest major city to Kansas

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

twistedmentat posted:

Ya, I just punched Thanos wikkid hard, that homo.

It's strange, I've spent a lot of time in Boston, and I only ever met like 3 people who talked in that kind of accent. So my imagining of it is much more based on the Departed than anything else.

The Boston accent is possibly the ugliest accent around. Most of us who've grown up around here have it in us like some incredible Hulk bullshit that comes out when we get drunk or angry.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Hip-Hoptimus Rhyme posted:

I always figured Metropolis was supposed to be Chicago since it's the closest major city to Kansas

According to the DC atlas, Metropolis is in Delaware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Let's not pretend that Thor didn't luck out with the studios allowing Brannagh to cast Hiddleston as Loki. The film would have sunk without him, or at least the Thor and Loki aspects.

Yes, let's also not pretend that the Thor/Loki dynamic was literally the only thing holding up that movie. Hiddleston is amazing in the role but we are not tumblr fangirls here. The entire supporting cast is filled with good to great performers, the special effects and action sequences are really well done, Brannagh wrings out every drop of subtlety and nuance he can get from a featherweight of a script through deft direction of the actors, and as an adaptation of Jack Kirby's Thor it's astonishingly faithful to what many (myself included) thought was unadaptable material. Even without an ace Loki the movie has a lot to recommend it.

teagone posted:

According to the DC atlas, Metropolis is in Delaware.

Wasn't that thing published in the 90s, or the early 00s at the latest? I know both Smallville and Man of Steel put their Metropolis locations in Kansas. Like I said, DC is pretty inconsistent on this.

• Locked thread