Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Was so happy to watch this when it showed up. Loved it, although overall I thought it was a very sad movie. My girlfriend and I really enjoy Mamoru Hosoda's movies, I think I'm going to show her TGWLTT in a couple weeks. But yeah, the dub for this was really well done, the kids through their different ages were so much fun to listen to, especially yuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horchata
Oct 17, 2010
Do they ever plan to rerelease the girl who leapt through time or am I forced to pay the markup since the company that had if went out of business

ultimatemegax
Feb 20, 2006

Damn Kiva symbols....

horchata posted:

Do they ever plan to rerelease the girl who leapt through time or am I forced to pay the markup since the company that had if went out of business
The company who held international rights to the movie is Kadokawa Pictures. Thus far none of the titles that they had licensed to Bandai at the time of their removal from the market have been picked up by another company and they don't really hold the NA licensors in high regards at the moment (ex. Funi soliciting titles in months they previously solicited a BD-box for in the domestic market). It's highly probable that Funimation wants the license due to licensing the other two big Hosoda movies from NTV to have in their catelog, but it's all up to Kadokawa. Know that the desire is there on this side of the Pacific, but other factors are complicating it. RightStuf got some copies of it in yesterday, but all have sold out by now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
Just a heads up for people. Rightstuf is running their Christmas sale where they do a "12 days of Christmas" of huge deals on stuff. Check it out everyday to see if you can snag stuff for cheap

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/holiday/?utm_source=rightstuf&utm_medium=headerImage&utm_campaign=headerHomepageImages

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Does anyone know where to find reviews of JP releases? Princess Mononoke comes out tomorrow (today?) in Japan and was hoping to find a review or two before importing it. Also, does anyone know if the playstation 4 is an all region player like 3 is? So I can actually, you know, watch it?

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Kingtheninja posted:

Does anyone know where to find reviews of JP releases? Princess Mononoke comes out tomorrow (today?) in Japan and was hoping to find a review or two before importing it. Also, does anyone know if the playstation 4 is an all region player like 3 is? So I can actually, you know, watch it?

I don't think the Ps3 was an all-region player, but regardless even if the Ps4 is region locked it doesn't matter for Japanese Blu-Ray's as we share the same region code. Go nuts.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

I don't think the Ps3 was an all-region player, but regardless even if the Ps4 is region locked it doesn't matter for Japanese Blu-Ray's as we share the same region code. Go nuts.

Okay, that's probably what I was thinking of then. Thanks!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Anime Limited announced they're picked up Escaflowne for release on BluRay and DVD in the UK. At this point they may as well just be choosing from a list of my favourite things ever.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Guys, guys! Blue Submarine 6 is getting a US release in a couple weeks, and the cover on this version won't make you feel bad for owning it!

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blue-Submarine-No-6-Complete-Collection-Blu-ray/90090/

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
While Amazon is still telling me to expect my copy of Evangelion 3.33 to arrive Wednesday, blu-Ray.com has it listed for the 18th of February. Funimation did say that they were pushing the release back because people wanted to see it(?) but at least it's in theaters in Seattle. Not sure if I'll go though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Squallege posted:

While Amazon is still telling me to expect my copy of Evangelion 3.33 to arrive Wednesday, blu-Ray.com has it listed for the 18th of February. Funimation did say that they were pushing the release back because people wanted to see it(?) but at least it's in theaters in Seattle. Not sure if I'll go though.

It was officially delayed because of the theatrical run. There's actually still no official release date for it now. I'm seeing it twice in the theatres though, so not too bummed out. Sucks for people where it's not playing.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
If there's anyone wanted to pick up the Gurren Lagann Blu-rays that didn't want to pay Aniplex of America prices and can play Region B discs, Anime Limited's got you covered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gurren-Laga...s=gurren+lagann - Collector's edition including the series, movies, and a good number of the extras from the Region A release (but not all of them). Includes a 50-page artbook and special packaging. Releases June 2. Comes out to about $120 USD right now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gurren-Laga...s=gurren+lagann - Standard Edition of the TV series only with select extras. Releases October 20. Looks to be about $68 USD.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Haiyore! Nyaruko-san is finally getting a North American release.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-01-15/nisa-adds-nyaruko/crawling-with-love-anime

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I know it's been in the works for a while, but Jormungand Season 1 and 2 now have a DVD/Blu-Ray release date: February 18th 2014.

http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=78691

http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/ShopProductDetail.ss?itemid=81840

EDIT: Never mind! Apparently the English cast was released back in August. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2013-08-30/funimation-reveals-jormungand-english-voice-cast-english-trailer

Not much of a fan of the dub samples so far. :(

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jan 21, 2014

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

OZC posted:

If there's anyone wanted to pick up the Gurren Lagann Blu-rays that didn't want to pay Aniplex of America prices and can play Region B discs, Anime Limited's got you covered.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gurren-Laga...s=gurren+lagann - Collector's edition including the series, movies, and a good number of the extras from the Region A release (but not all of them). Includes a 50-page artbook and special packaging. Releases June 2. Comes out to about $120 USD right now.

Awesome, preordered!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Any news on the stuff that got picked up by funimation last August? Curious about outlaw star and bebop.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you're in the UK (or somewhere that can order from Amazon UK) they have pre-orders up for Garden of Words BD at just over £13, which is less than most new releases.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HYYHP26/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Any news on the stuff that got picked up by funimation last August? Curious about outlaw star and bebop.

They haven't announced anything yet unfortunately, although Eureka Seven was another Bandai rescue that was only announced in December and that's getting released in April, and Funi did just release some Bebop-related merchandise last week. Hopefully we'll see something on Bebop soon, as well as some confirmation that the Outlaw Star release will use the remastered DVDs Japan has instead of the same poo poo masters Bandai used to have.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The DVD's Anime Limited are releasing in the UK are from the Japanese remasters so I'd be very surprised if the Funimation ones weren't too.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
I forgot they were releasing it too. If they have the remasters, then yeah, Funi should get them as well.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

OZC posted:

I forgot they were releasing it too. If they have the remasters, then yeah, Funi should get them as well.

I have the UK blu-ray releases of bebop, and it looks pretty drat sweet.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It kinda sucks how Blu-ray is more delicate than DVDs somehow. I popped out Eva 2.22 to have on while I clean my apartment and the thing won't read in places. I've kept it in the book I keep my discs in and it ended up having a weird ring on the edges. I tried putting in my copy of End of Evangelion just to see if it's the PS4 but that still plays just fine despite being in the same book for several years and being in worse condition in general. Also holy poo poo the picture quality of End of Eva is terrible.

edit: Now it hates the Cowboy Bebop movie blu ray but not the extended version of the Hobbit. I think my PS4 is trying to torture me.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Feb 9, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Squallege posted:

Also holy poo poo the picture quality of End of Eva is terrible.

I'm always amazed at how bad the EoE DVD is, its like a perfect storm of lovely image quality and lovely translation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

It sucks there isn't a bluray for eoe yet. Even the remastered DVDs from Japan aren't super amazing.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Not that it means anything but there is a Nadia bluray set coming out in a few months so maybe there's hope for Eva to get the same treatment.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wonder if Gainax is planning some sort of Year of Eva once the final Rebuild movie comes out.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Squallege posted:

Not that it means anything but there is a Nadia bluray set coming out in a few months so maybe there's hope for Eva to get the same treatment.

Gainax have been gradually releasing their older shows on blu-ray for a little while. I suspect we'll see it happen with Eva eventually, but probably not until the movies are finished.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I hope they get around to releasing the Gunbuster and Diebuster series on bluray too. The movies look good on bluray. Especially Diebuster (which I'm watching now since it cooperates with my PS4)

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Squallege posted:

I hope they get around to releasing the Gunbuster and Diebuster series on bluray too. The movies look good on bluray. Especially Diebuster (which I'm watching now since it cooperates with my PS4)

They already did.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

AzraelNewtype posted:

They already did.

Holy poo poo you're right!

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/...5324S6KHFY40FRN

Bring this to the states, whoever!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Squallege posted:

I wouldn't count on it; The movie came over and they didn't even bother with a dub (not that THAT matters but it is a pretty good sign of how much effort they wanna put into it)

Gunbuster is GORGEOUS on bluray.

Like seriously: Every screen is wallpaper worthy

I mean it's cell animation so of course but holy poo poo it's incredible. It's so much cleaner and more beautiful than the movie, which seems to have been done from whatever film copy they had of the movie version, not cleaned up from the originals.

Diebuster looks pretty good but a bit of the CG elements are kinda groady (especially in the first episode, which was more CG heavy) and I think it's 720p only because of it's source. Still, pretty hot stuff.

Srice posted:

Gainax have been gradually releasing their older shows on blu-ray for a little while. I suspect we'll see it happen with Eva eventually, but probably not until the movies are finished.

If eva gets a bluray I think it'll be last, even though it's one of their biggest shows. If you recall, right before Rebuild started they did "Renewal Of Evangelion" which was a full digital remaster of the series and movies. I'm honestly a bit curious how it'll go, since most of rebuild is under studio khara(?)'s care, and gainax seems to be laying low after losing so much staff.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Feb 9, 2014

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I feel like a huge dork now because I found the group that distributed the Gunbuster 2 OVAs last May and emailed them asking if they had plans for the blu ray versions. Considering their schizophrenic catalog http://discotekmedia.com/store.htm I doubt it'll happen but whatever, I'm on a Gunbuster kick right now.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Feb 9, 2014

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Squallege posted:

I feel like a huge dork now because I found the group that distributed the Gunbuster 2 OVAs last May and emailed them asking if they had plans for the blu ray versions. Considering their schizophrenic catalog http://discotekmedia.com/store.htm I doubt it'll happen but whatever, I'm on a Gunbuster kick right now.

Totally on (another) gunbuster kick at the moment. I just picked up the Gunbuster soul of choco...co...cho choo 50 bux figure and it's badass. http://www.amazon.com/Bandai-Tamashii-Nations-Chogokin-Buster/dp/B009HMK1NS/ref=pd_rhf_gw_p_d_5

(on a side, dorky/awesome note, they sell a gurren lagann tie in kit with a gently caress off load of drills to attach to the inazuma kick + all the buster collider rods. It's a shame they haven't done a big gently caress off gainax mecha crossover special or something.)

If you haven't watched the Gunbuster blurays you really owe it to yourself to watch them. Since it's unlicensed, just track down a copy. The rip on bakabt even has the unmatted episode 6 for interest sake (the ending is hosed up and you can see soooo many missing limbs that they didn't bother to finish full frame.)

It would be nice to see a domestic release but I think it'd be a hard sell being 25 years old. drat kids.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Feb 9, 2014

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's gonna be Evangelion's 20th anniversary in a couple of years which may also coincide with movie 4, I'll be very surprised if we don't get the bluray's then.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DamnGlitch posted:

If you haven't watched the Gunbuster blurays you really owe it to yourself to watch them. Since it's unlicensed, just track down a copy. The rip on bakabt even has the unmatted episode 6 for interest sake (the ending is hosed up and you can see soooo many missing limbs that they didn't bother to finish full frame.)

It would be nice to see a domestic release but I think it'd be a hard sell being 25 years old. drat kids.

You're definitely right about the quality on the blu-ray set for Gunbuster. I'm pretty sure I found the exact release you have.

Oh yeah, and Discotek sent me a reply

quote:

Hi we are considering it

Thank you
classy :v:

e: One more thing. There's HD versions of the two Gurren Lagann movies on iTunes. Which isn't too bad considering the alternative.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Feb 10, 2014

Nut Better
Feb 17, 2011

:same:

Squallege posted:

It kinda sucks how Blu-ray is more delicate than DVDs somehow. I popped out Eva 2.22 to have on while I clean my apartment and the thing won't read in places. I've kept it in the book I keep my discs in and it ended up having a weird ring on the edges. I tried putting in my copy of End of Evangelion just to see if it's the PS4 but that still plays just fine despite being in the same book for several years and being in worse condition in general. Also holy poo poo the picture quality of End of Eva is terrible.

edit: Now it hates the Cowboy Bebop movie blu ray but not the extended version of the Hobbit. I think my PS4 is trying to torture me.

The PS4 is just a really glitchy bluray player. I've had blurays that refuse to play and even had it crash in the middle of a movie. It's a shame since the PS3 was so good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Squallege posted:

The "fullscreen" version of the last episode that they apparently included is pretty hilarious. Maybe I just breezed through a few bad shots as I jumped around but it seems like half of them are incomplete with production notes scribbled in the margins that were obviously intended to be cropped out.

E: Too slow, looks like DamnGlitch already pointed this out

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 10, 2014

friendo55
Jun 28, 2008

Reposting from the Cinema Discusso Blu-Ray thread:

Can anyone elaborate on the Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day anime series? There's a new movie based off the series that's now released theatrically in Canada & US, and it caught my eye being that it's not something you see every day shown on the big screen.
Having only watched a few anime films myself, I've read it's not smart to see the movie before watching the TV series first. Is the series worth picking up as a blind-buy?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Is the Gunbuster set an upscale? I mean...

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/62065

Diebuster's set seems to be the real deal though and is gorgeous.

friendo55 posted:

Reposting from the Cinema Discusso Blu-Ray thread:

Can anyone elaborate on the Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day anime series? There's a new movie based off the series that's now released theatrically in Canada & US, and it caught my eye being that it's not something you see every day shown on the big screen.
Having only watched a few anime films myself, I've read it's not smart to see the movie before watching the TV series first. Is the series worth picking up as a blind-buy?
I thought it was a decent series, if trying a bit hard to pull at the heartstrings. Certainly better than most of the dreck airing these days. I had no idea there was a movie though, but reading up on it apparently it's basically an epilogue of "where they are now" which certainly would be useless to watch without the series under your belt.

Even then, $60 for an 11 episode series is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nate RFB posted:

Is the Gunbuster set an upscale? I mean...

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/62065

Diebuster's set seems to be the real deal though and is gorgeous.

It does not seem like an upscale at 1080p. Or even in that comparison. There's no pixelation just lots of film noise, which is baller. Even that 720p in the comparison is noticeably cleaner and sharper and less stretched than the DVD copy.

Diebuster is an upscale if I'm not mistaken; their original CG materials were not done in even 720p so for the CG parts it's really noticeable that those elements are upscaled. I think the animation itself looks fantastic, though again, it seems to be 720 p only instead of full 1080p.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 11, 2014

• Locked thread