Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

kidcoelacanth posted:

I'm pretty sure this current Moomin story has been my favorite of them all. It's just been really fun the full way through.

It's interesting to compare this to the similar story in the novels, where only Moomintroll is awake and spends most of his time sulking about how much winter sucks until he finally learns to enjoy himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

Because no one watches the sun rise in the middle of the day and there's not even any real crime here. Back to picking up trash.

First, if she's watching the sun rise, she's going to want to be wearing those sunglasses once the sun has gotten much over the horizon (which we can see it has).
Second, and probably the one Slylock is going for, is that if she's facing the sun and Doreen snuck up behind her, Doreen's shadow would be cast away from her, not over her.

Darthemed posted:

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Welp, writing this one down.

"I fantasize about abandoning my children, too! All the time!"

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

"Gee willikers, Lance, you're right! It IS a good thing our girlfriend died! :haw:"

Luann

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Wanamingo posted:

Andertoons

Reaching back a page or two, Gorringe, most notably HH Gorringe, whose epitaph reads

quote:

In Sparkill buried lies that man of mark
Who brought the Obelisk to Central Park,
Redoubtable Commander H.H. Gorringe,
Whose name supplies the long-sought rhyme for "orange."
Also the Blorenge in Wales, and a few other possibilities.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

It's interesting to compare this to the similar story in the novels, where only Moomintroll is awake and spends most of his time sulking about how much winter sucks until he finally learns to enjoy himself.

I've been thinking the same thing. I really enjoy both versions, and I like that the comics are different enough from the books that each plot isn't a straight-up replay in a different format, just a similar storyline in which different things happen, or some of the same things happen but in different ways or involving different characters. I think I like the sports-mad Hemulen better than Mr Brisk, as an individual character, but the Hemulen & Little Creep love story is just as good as the Mr Brisk & Mymble love story.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A cup is a lot of chorizo.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

There is no such thing as too much chorizo. But still that's a cup for a dish that serves 4.

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Drakyn posted:

This is basically the Worst Thing, and the runner-up is the earnest, cheery way it's always said. Because each and every time you hear this, it's from someone who imagines they're being sincerely original and funny. And there's always a microscopic hint of honesty behind the joking, because the tiny barely-there hope is that one day when you say this the cashier'll agree with you and you will get a free Stuff because you were just that good-natured and humorous. You rear end in a top hat.

That's actually scary acurate. Though I don't think they're that bad. Sure, its kind of annoying since it usually comes up at least once a week, or that your really not in the mood for jokes and are trying to figure why it isn't scanning, but there are honestly worse people than that.

I'm looking at you Mr. Have me ring up 40 things only to decide your not getting them.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

goatface posted:

You don't eat enough chorizo.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Thank you.

"Haw haw son women are strange, fickle, foolish creatures unlike us male normal human beings! Be sure you treat them that that way!" This, with a straight face, in the year of our lord 2014. Die in a loving fire, Gilchrist.

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

darthbob88 posted:

Reaching back a page or two, Gorringe, most notably HH Gorringe, whose epitaph reads
Also the Blorenge in Wales, and a few other possibilities.

And, of course, the Cat in the Hat is a Seuss character, who had no problems just making up whatever word he needed.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Gilchrist is definitely not single though--he posts about his fiancée, or wife, I don't know which, on Facebook all the time.

I found out the other day that Gilchrist's son was responsible for "The Thief and the Cobbler" Un-Cobbled cut. From what he posts, he's estranged from his dad.

I never met him, although we do share a mutual friend.

Mister Beeg fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 9, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mister Beeg posted:

I found out the other day that Gilchrist's son was responsible for "The Thief and the Cobbler" Un-Cobbled cut. From what he posts, he's estranged from his dad.

I never met him, although we do share a mutual friend.

That's kind of mindblowing.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Radio Patrol

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Johnny Hazard

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive

Bitchtits McGee posted:

This is an amusing statement. You are an amusing person.

I would appreciate feedback so that i might refine this amusement further, valued poster

Mmann
Dec 1, 2007

Kyoon Was Right
12/21/12

BlueDestiny posted:

Mandrake is the loving best.

I have waited so long for the return of Luciphor... also called Cobra.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (November 18-20, 1926)

And that catches us up with the online Skippy backlog. Monday we're down to a strip a day like peasants. Such is life...

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

This is what I like about classic prince Valiant. I am a sucker for a heroic tale.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Still going through the old MAD Magazines. They all have Dave Berg's "Lighter Side" strips. When I started reading MAD some 15 years ago, Berg was still alive and drawing for the magazine. While they were never my all-time favorites, I always felt that Berg's strips were an essential part of the magazine and would read them anyway. Even after all these years, I still miss seeing Berg's strips, and I actually felt nostalgic when I saw them again after all these years.

I scanned a few. Enjoy!

It's pretty obvious, but Roger Kaputnik was Berg's alter-ego.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Could you please make a separate thread for MAD Magazine comics? It's not like it's that hard to make a new thread.

Millions of Crows
Mar 31, 2010

take a look overhead
MAD stuff belongs here. :wrongful:

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

In the internet age you can probably get more information than "she's living in Tampa somewhere."

Retail

Uh, yeah? When you live in Norm Feuti Retail world where everyone is a miserable rear end in a top hat why the hell wouldn't you?

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

I wonder what would happen if Bleeker fell through the ice...

Dustin

What a novel observation of kids these days.

On the Fastrack

Mrs. Trellis is like, queen shark of the business world. You better believe she can.

Heaven's Love Thrift Shop

Uh to signify the coming of spring, of course. Then we can leave the up all season and not take them down a week later.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Millions of Crows posted:

MAD stuff belongs here. :wrongful:
We have a whole subforum for comics and Mad Magazine has enough content to warrant its own thread. But if we absolutely have to have it in this thread I guess I could just ignore list those posts out instead.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

We have a whole subforum for comics and Mad Magazine has enough content to warrant its own thread. But if we absolutely have to have it in this thread I guess I could just ignore list those posts out instead.

Like two or three threads ago there was a huge argument about what belonged and what didn't. After a bunch of circle jerking and nerd rage the thread settled on "gently caress it, just post it" so, gently caress it, just post it.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Midnight Moth posted:

Could you please make a separate thread for MAD Magazine comics?

I agree with this request... MAD stuff would probably get more attention in its own thread since MAD fans won't have to wade through all the newspaper comics.

Speaking of which...

The Little King

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
A warning for you all: if you for whatever reason contemplate picking up and reading a new MAD magazine, loving don't.

I made that mistake a few weeks ago at the library and it was soul crushing.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

7lip posted:

A warning for you all: if you for whatever reason contemplate picking up and reading a new MAD magazine, loving don't.

I made that mistake a few weeks ago at the library and it was soul crushing.

I think Sergio Aragones said it best in one of his interviews:

quote:

And many people say “I used to read Mad, but Mad has changed a lot.” Excuse me—you grew up! You have new interests. The reason that Mad has endured all these many years is that it talks to every new generation that arrived.

From time to time I still pick up new issues, mainly for Sergio's comics, and even "Spy vs. Spy"

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
and here I thought Sergio Aragones never learned to speak English.

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

Volume posted:

and here I thought Sergio Aragones never learned to speak English.

Sergio spoke very little when he first came to US, but has since then started to speak better. Antonio Prohias never did, though.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Sergio is fluent in English, he just has a bit of an accent.

I've said before: Mad Belongs here. It's printed on Newsprint by authors that have had works in newspaper strips. If we can post the shitbox holbrook comics with the thin premise that one of his horrid strips is in the paper so we have to post the rest of his transformation/vore/I don't even loving know fetish bullshit strips then we can at least get some good, truly funny illustrations in here for a change.

And speaking of awesome illustrations with a wicked sense of humor, where've all the Chaz Addams strips gone?

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
On the Fastrack is in 75 papers, Safe havens is in 50, and Kevin and Kell is in well, one. If you're going to rant about Holbrook's comics at least get your facts straight.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Feb 9, 2014

iS!
May 23, 2003
Almost An Ambigram
(Sorry, from 7 pages back; catching up)

I like to imagine the hatching on the tree behind Grandpa's head as motion lines, indicating he has just somersaulted into frame.

Also, I like Grandpa's incessant terming of his grandsons as "young mischiefs." I'd only heard that word as a concept before, never as a person.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

This Slylock answer is loving bullshit! Wet to the touch? gently caress that! There should be drops, I tell you!

F Minus

Mary Worth

The woman just looks pissed off.

Rex Morgan MD

The child is displeased.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.

Mister Beeg posted:

I think Sergio Aragones said it best in one of his interviews:
I've read and enjoyed many issues of MAD from DECADES before I was born. I stopped reading shortly after Antonio Prohias (Spy Vs. Spy) died. I was in 8th/9th grade. I was in the perfect age group for MAD, but I couldn't enjoy the new issues. I'd still like the older stuff that was new to me, so there goes the "speaking to a generation" theory...

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Volume posted:

Like two or three threads ago there was a huge argument about what belonged and what didn't. After a bunch of circle jerking and nerd rage the thread settled on "gently caress it, just post it" so, gently caress it, just post it.

Alternatively,

Phy posted:

I'd like to get more Fingerpori in my life but the newspaper comics thread in BSS moves so fuckin' fast

This person wants you to post less. Thank you.

Ice To Meet You fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 9, 2014

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

"But enough about my other girlfriend. Let's go get hitched."

9 Chickweed Lane

"Two, but I highly doubt that they would both fit inside the bulb."

Pibgorn

Romeo is just mad that the boat found a way to make an early exit from this dud.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

The answer posted:

Because of the sun's position, Doreen's shadow wouldnothave fallen forward toward Rita.

Slylock Fox

Watch as Slylock nitpicks some trivial detail about the exact makeup of Weirdly's horrible abomination while ignoring the greater problem of Weirdly you know, mass-producing horrible abominations.

Moose and Molly

Wow, Chester legitimately did call the cops on Moose. Didn't think he had it in him. Too bad his wife is going to leave him for Moose now though.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Midnight Moth posted:

Could you please make a separate thread for MAD Magazine comics? It's not like it's that hard to make a new thread.

Although generally of the "post whatever" mentality, I'm with Moth on this one. The variety of content produced by MAD over the years is too great to comfortably fit in here. It needs its own thread where it can run and play and generate proper discussion and all that crapola.

Oor Broons

Krazy Kat seems to favor the "concept-of-the-week" model, so I figure I'll just dump 'em on you all at once when it's through with one, like so:

Pidmon
Mar 18, 2009

NO ONE risks painful injury on your GREEN SLIME GHOST POGO RIDE.

No one but YOU.
I'm sure the nitpick is gonna be about 'it's poisonous, not venomous' but I dunno Slylock, if you wanted to poison people by breeding pig with venom glands I think you could wipe out a sizable group of bacon-loving greaselords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Pidmon posted:

I'm sure the nitpick is gonna be about 'it's poisonous, not venomous' but I dunno Slylock, if you wanted to poison people by breeding pig with venom glands I think you could wipe out a sizable group of bacon-loving greaselords.

Pythons kill things by crushing them.

• Locked thread