Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GoutPatrol posted:

There was a little discussion in the main thread, but how many other people have tried playing the Maze's End deck that did so well in the Vancouver GP? I have made it and I absolutely love it. If you can get the Maze out early, it becomes really hard for the other person to come back. I'm going to experiment with adding Kiora into the maindeck instead of the Bow, which I did like for the life gain (never really had a fear of decking myself) but the extra land drop a turn from two different sources now could make this even faster.

I tried it this week, stomped all over White Weenie in three matches (I actually felt really bad about it - there was literally no way for them to interact with the deck) and lost 0-2 the one match that wasn't WW. RB, lost to Mutavaults G1 and then Mogis + Rakdos's Return G2.

I was going to try Kiora if I got my hands on one, but I'm a little wary that you can't really protect her at all - she's literally going to be a 4-mana Explore the majority of the time you play her, and I think I'd rather play an extra Urban Evolution if I really wanted more ways to ramp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Any thought goons? I'm adding a Xenagos later today when I trade for it, but any suggestions would be helpful. About to go play test.

Deck: Xena-Dino

//Lands
12 Forest
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon

//Spells
3 Destructive Revelry
3 Domri Rade
2 Garruk, Caller of Beasts

//Creatures
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Fanatic of Xenagos
2 Arbor Colossus
4 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Stormbreath Dragon
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr
1 Xenagos, God of Revels

//Sideboard
4 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Plummet
3 Gruul Charm
3 Xenagos, the Reveler
3 Nylea's Disciple

Display deck statistics

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sideboard the Destructive Revelries.

Mainboard the Xena-walkers.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

GoutPatrol posted:

There was a little discussion in the main thread, but how many other people have tried playing the Maze's End deck that did so well in the Vancouver GP? I have made it and I absolutely love it. If you can get the Maze out early, it becomes really hard for the other person to come back. I'm going to experiment with adding Kiora into the maindeck instead of the Bow, which I did like for the life gain (never really had a fear of decking myself) but the extra land drop a turn from two different sources now could make this even faster.

Why run 61? I've always been a pretty firm believer that anything above 60 means you've excess fat to be trimmed.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mikujin posted:

Why run 61? I've always been a pretty firm believer that anything above 60 means you've excess fat to be trimmed.

After the playtesting that I did, and trying cutting a Negate from the maindeck, I don't think 60 or 61 really makes a difference. I think it is like the fetchland argument: in the long run, it will cost you a game or two, but in most games its not going to matter that much. Granted, I have no real numbers to back that claim up. But sometimes I would run 62 (putting in the last Merciless Eviction) and alot of the time that worked better. Another wrath is always good. Another fog is always good. I wouldn't want to cut the shocklands. All that really matters is that you get a Maze's End early enough in the game, or post-sideboard against certain decks a Crackling Perimeter. If you get a maze, you're already thinning out your deck every time you search for a gate (always search for a gate first, never play the ones in your hand.) The options to cut are another fog, wrath, Negate, Urban Evolution, the 3rd Selesnya guildgate, or the Bow. If Kiora works, maybe Urban Evolution is not as necessary.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mikujin posted:

You need to run 2x of each gate to avoid auto-losses to Nightveil Specter. Given that, it's definitely possible that 61 cards gives you a more favourable land:spell ratio, and that's enough to offset the downside of running >60.

If I was going to cut to 60 I'd probably drop the third GW gate.

GoutPatrol posted:

Granted, I have no real numbers to back that claim up. But sometimes I would run 62 (putting in the last Merciless Eviction) and alot of the time that worked better.

My sideboard plan against anything without Nightveil Specter was to cut the redundant off-colour gates, since you don't need that protection any more, which lets you considerably increase the spell density.

Perhaps 61-cards main with a 14-card sideboard is better, so you can cut the lands and drop to 60 cards post-board?

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010
Anyone see the Bard's deck tech? It's RW Burn, and looks pretty solid:
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_rw_burn_with_brad_ne.html

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Malgrin posted:

http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/deck_tech_rw_burn_with_brad_ne.html

I tried watching the video but Brad Nelson was in it. However, the deck looks nice. It's nice that there are enough decent burn spells that the RDW deck can get away from garbage creatures.

SaltForYourWounds
Oct 21, 2005

Malgrin posted:

I've run a version of this deck before and it's fun as poo poo. Looking forward to trying out this version as I was running no Young Pyromancer (died too quickly to get any value) with Ash Zealots in place of them.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Home alone tonight, so naturally it's a great time to tweak decklists. I made a couple changes to my Sisay EDH deck-

Deck: Captain Sisay EDH

Display deck statistics

Put in a few cards from BNG that I thought worked well, Karametra is a little more iffy than the other two but she's a good wall when activated and the ramp will never not be useful, given the high CMCs in this deck. More importantly, I was thinking of trying a wish-board with fringe useful legendaries, since my "sideboard" was always that to begin with. It's just a question of which legendaries to include, and if there's maybe some lands that would be more worthwhile to include since Living Wish can grab both creatures and lands. I've not had to put one of these together before, so I'm just going through all the deck-legal lands and legendary creatures seeing if anything jumps out at me. Dust Bowl is a land that caught my eye for a spot, as are Homeward Path, Stirring Vastwood, and Mystifying Maze. Any ideas?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
If you could find it quickly enough, Dustbowl + Karametra is a pretty nice combo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

If you could find it quickly enough, Dustbowl + Karametra is a pretty nice combo.

Yeah, the other wishboard concern for me is that while I've seen other people at my LGS use them in EDH, they've all been running Cunning Wish in mono-blue where there's lots of draw fixing, making the Wish much easier to actually draw in that case. I dunno, I have enough tutoring such that I can make the odds of drawing into my Wish a little better, but I'm trying not to make it something I need to rely on in order to do well in matches.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

bhsman posted:

Is the "combo" here simply that you can play a dude to fetch a land to sac?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

C-Euro posted:

Home alone tonight, so naturally it's a great time to tweak decklists. I made a couple changes to my Sisay EDH deck-

Dust Bowl is a land that caught my eye for a spot, as are Homeward Path, Stirring Vastwood, and Mystifying Maze. Any ideas?

Glittering Wish?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Mikujin posted:

Is the "combo" here simply that you can play a dude to fetch a land to sac?

It's not foolproof, but yes.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Malgrin posted:

When would you bring the oracle of bones and toil/trouble in from sideboard? He even says in the video "because reasons" and it's a neat combo but I'm not sure when they would come in.

moot4king
Oct 9, 2012
Pillbug
I'm a pretty inexperienced player and an even worse deck constructor but I still wanted to build a GU-deck with big hydras, krakens, and Prophet of Kruphix.

Here it is. Feel free to question every single of my decisions and rip it apart.

I realize that running 4 Breeding Pools, Garruk, more Kalonian Hydras, Polukranos etc. is really good but I am not really willing to drop that kind of money. The big cards that are in the deck are cards I already own. Not entirely sure if Experiment One fits in this deck.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

Glittering Wish?

Eh, Living Wish lets me grab a lot more and the deck is kind of creature-centric to begin with. I'm not even running that many multicolored cards to begin with, honestly.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

Fingers McLongDong posted:

When would you bring the oracle of bones and toil/trouble in from sideboard? He even says in the video "because reasons" and it's a neat combo but I'm not sure when they would come in.

He mentioned control. Making control pick between 5 damage or potentially 14 damage is pretty awesome.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

moot4king posted:

I'm a pretty inexperienced player and an even worse deck constructor but I still wanted to build a GU-deck with big hydras, krakens, and Prophet of Kruphix.

Here it is. Feel free to question every single of my decisions and rip it apart.

I realize that running 4 Breeding Pools, Garruk, more Kalonian Hydras, Polukranos etc. is really good but I am not really willing to drop that kind of money. The big cards that are in the deck are cards I already own. Not entirely sure if Experiment One fits in this deck.

If you're playing big creatures, Prime Speaker Zegana is really good, and she isn't expensive price wise. You could probably replace the 2 Urban Evolutions with her and she's a better card drawing engine. She only costs 1 more, is a creature herself, and could draw up to 9 cards if you have a Tromokrasis. If you're doing the mana ramp strategy, you'll probably want to put a couple Kiora's followers in there as well. Depending on the local metagame, you may want to replace Experiment One with Cloudfin Raptor. Locally, people don't play much flying, so I personally prefer Cloudfin as its unblockable most of the time and it can block Nightvale Specter if it has evolved twice. In my GU deck, I run 2 Curse of the Swine, which I have really enjoyed. Blue and Green don't have much removal, but the ability to exile any gods or other huge threats and turn them into vanilla 2/2s is really good and I've had it turn games around.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone have the most up-to-date Rb Human Aggro deck with Xathrid Necromancers? I'm looking for something budget to steal wins from grinders at my FNM and make them go on tilt by beating them with bad cards.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Tharizdun posted:

Does anyone have the most up-to-date Rb Human Aggro deck with Xathrid Necromancers? I'm looking for something budget to steal wins from grinders at my FNM and make them go on tilt by beating them with bad cards.

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5948&d=234498 This is the usual build, though with BNG out now some of the cards may change. (Pain Seer for shredfreak maybe), personally I would put 4 dark betrayal in the SB for thoughtseizes for more of a budget option.

Samael fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Feb 9, 2014

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Samael posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5948&d=234498 This is the usual build, though with BNG out now some of the cards may change. (Pain Seer for shredfreak maybe)

I think thats a legit deck with the blood crypts, temples, and some sideboard tweaks! GL hf

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Samael posted:

http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=5948&d=234498 This is the usual build, though with BNG out now some of the cards may change. (Pain Seer for shredfreak maybe), personally I would put 4 dark betrayal in the SB for thoughtseizes for more of a budget option.

Duress is what I'm running.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Samael posted:

I've got the thoughtseizes and shocks, I'll sleeve this up, see how it goes.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
No explanation. Just give feedback:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x God-Favored General
4 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
4 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigatio
3 x Eidolon of Countless Battles
3 x Hopeful Eidolon

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x God-Favored General
4 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
4 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigatio
3 x Hopeful Eidolon

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault
Awful lot of taplands just to hit that Xathrid Necromancer mana. Also Mutavault seems not-great when you have so many spells that ask for WW.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

AlternateNu posted:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x God-Favored General
4 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
4 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigatio
3 x Hopeful Eidolon

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault

God-Favored General should just be Precint Captain.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

God-Favored General is hugely mana expensive to get any advantage out of. I'd go with Precinct Captain as Mikujin said or Soldier of the Pantheon.

Edit: I would consider Nyxborn Shieldmate over Hopeful Eidolon. Shieldmate lands a turn earlier and gives better stats. Lifelink is not that relevant because your life total just doesn't matter that much when you're playing aggro.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 10, 2014

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x God-Favored General
4 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
4 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigatio
3 x Hopeful Eidolon

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault

No room for Spear?

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

AlternateNu posted:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x God-Favored General
4 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
4 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigatio
3 x Hopeful Eidolon

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault

In addition to the above, I'd play Gift of Orzhova over Murder Investigation.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I kinda like murder investigation in a deck thats also running eidolon of countless battles, seems to be good synergy there. It only costs 1cmc with hero out too so it wont slow you down going into t3.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
My friends and I have started doing (every now and again) a £5 deck tournament (prices from https://magicsingles.co.uk). I built this silly combo deck, and I'd not mind someone taking a little look over it. It basically relies on getting instants/sorceries into the graveyard (for Spellheart Chimera), while simultaneously generating tokens (to attack with - using Keep Watch and Rites of Initiation as a super-Dynacharge). The cycling spells are mostly to self-replace and fill the yard, but each does a little job (Mage's Guile protects the Chimeras, Spark Spray can do a little removal duty). There's no sideboard currently; though it will probably be a single piece of artifact removal (8p remaining, so not a lot of stuff to do with it). Drifts are transmute fodder (for Chimera or Keep Watch).

4 Spellheart Chimera (£0.56)
2 Drift of Phantasms (£0.38)

4 Steam Augury (£0.56)
4 Keep Watch (£0.20)
4 Rites of Initiation (£0.56)
4 Krenko's Command (£0.56)
4 Dragon Fodder (£0.60)
4 Brood Birthing (£0.56)
3 Mage's Guile (£0.15)
3 Spark Spray (£0.39)
4 Spawning Breath (£0.20)

4 Izzet Guildgate (£0.20)
9 Mountain (£0)
7 Island (£0)

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

bhsman posted:

Sorry to hear that. :( What have you been running?

EDIT: For anyone who cares, I updated the deck. Here's a preview: Sweepers for everyone!

EDIT2: I don't know why, but it feels like this version has way more removal than usual; as in I feel like I'm drawing it more reliably. Having a lot of variety helps.

Up 1 Peezy and down one Murder King, eh?

I tried running your deck build this weekend and it beat everything except a full Red Devotion deck...the creatures just came out too fast to remove and were swinging against a largely empty board on turn 4. I am assuming that the Anger of the Gods you mainboarded will help against that...I will definitely keep a couple Drown in Sorrow on hand now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Tharizdun posted:

Awful lot of taplands just to hit that Xathrid Necromancer mana. Also Mutavault seems not-great when you have so many spells that ask for WW.

Well, I'm also running Orzhov Charm, and there would be more black in the sideboard. Xathrid Necromancer is another layer of protection from board wipes. Tapped lands do slow the deck down, admittedly. This is one of the things I want to shake out with testing. A Supreme Verdict or overloaded Mizzium Mortars actually becomes a losing proposition if you have something like a Hero of Iroas with a Murder Investigation and a Xathrid Necromancer out.

Plus, Mutavaults are humans.

Mikujin posted:

God-Favored General should just be Precint Captain.

Mr. Peepers posted:

God-Favored General is hugely mana expensive to get any advantage out of. I'd go with Precinct Captain as Mikujin said or Soldier of the Pantheon.

Edit: I would consider Nyxborn Shieldmate over Hopeful Eidolon. Shieldmate lands a turn earlier and gives better stats. Lifelink is not that relevant because your life total just doesn't matter that much when you're playing aggro.

You guys are probably right about the Precinct Captain. The primary reason I put in God-Favored General was because the tokens he creates are enchantments which buff Ethereal Armor. But considering everyone's comments regarding his mana costs (and really, the fact that he is inspired), it is probably a better idea to minimize the Ethereal Armor focus in the deck for consistency's sake.

As for the Nyxborn Shieldmate, that is probably a better idea not just because his bestow is 1 less, but also because he is a human.

Balon posted:

No room for Spear?

I'll probably drop 2 x Ethereal Armors for the Spears. Maybe more if I decide that Xathrid Necromancer isn't worth it.

Ask Me For Warez posted:

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I kinda like murder investigation in a deck thats also running eidolon of countless battles, seems to be good synergy there. It only costs 1cmc with hero out too so it wont slow you down going into t3.

That is the gimmick. A Hero of Iroas alone with a Murder Investigation and a Countless on him goes from 1 x 7/7 to 1 x 8/8 and 7 x 1/1s when he dies. Xathrid Necromancer would pump Countless even more and give you an additional 2/2.

This is also part of the reason I am running Orzhov Charm. Most of these effects don't trigger unless the enchanted creature dies, so if my opponent tries to exile them, I'm poo poo out of luck. It is kind of surprising how well all three modes work in the deck. I can bounce a guy and everything on him back to my hand if my opponent gets sneaky. I can bring back a Favored Hoplite or Nyxborn on endstep (or in response to a board wipe with Xathrid out). Or I can get ride of an annoying blocker at the cost of some life.

So, considering what you guys said, how about this:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x Precinct Captain
3 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
2 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigation
4 x Nyxborn Shieldmate
2 x Spear of Heliod

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

OssiansFolly posted:

Up 1 Peezy and down one Murder King, eh?

Yeah, I just kept drawing copies of Tymaret and Purph all night and wanted to tinker a bit.

quote:

I tried running your deck build this weekend and it beat everything except a full Red Devotion deck...the creatures just came out too fast to remove and were swinging against a largely empty board on turn 4. I am assuming that the Anger of the Gods you mainboarded will help against that...I will definitely keep a couple Drown in Sorrow on hand now.

Yeah, Anger is to help nab whatever can't die to Drown (like Caryatid), but not TOO many b/c it can remove Tymaret from the game.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

AlternateNu posted:

Well, I'm also running Orzhov Charm, and there would be more black in the sideboard. Xathrid Necromancer is another layer of protection from board wipes. Tapped lands do slow the deck down, admittedly. This is one of the things I want to shake out with testing. A Supreme Verdict or overloaded Mizzium Mortars actually becomes a losing proposition if you have something like a Hero of Iroas with a Murder Investigation and a Xathrid Necromancer out.

Plus, Mutavaults are humans.

You guys are probably right about the Precinct Captain. The primary reason I put in God-Favored General was because the tokens he creates are enchantments which buff Ethereal Armor. But considering everyone's comments regarding his mana costs (and really, the fact that he is inspired), it is probably a better idea to minimize the Ethereal Armor focus in the deck for consistency's sake.

As for the Nyxborn Shieldmate, that is probably a better idea not just because his bestow is 1 less, but also because he is a human.

I'll probably drop 2 x Ethereal Armors for the Spears. Maybe more if I decide that Xathrid Necromancer isn't worth it.

That is the gimmick. A Hero of Iroas alone with a Murder Investigation and a Countless on him goes from 1 x 7/7 to 1 x 8/8 and 7 x 1/1s when he dies. Xathrid Necromancer would pump Countless even more and give you an additional 2/2.

This is also part of the reason I am running Orzhov Charm. Most of these effects don't trigger unless the enchanted creature dies, so if my opponent tries to exile them, I'm poo poo out of luck. It is kind of surprising how well all three modes work in the deck. I can bounce a guy and everything on him back to my hand if my opponent gets sneaky. I can bring back a Favored Hoplite or Nyxborn on endstep (or in response to a board wipe with Xathrid out). Or I can get ride of an annoying blocker at the cost of some life.

So, considering what you guys said, how about this:

Creatures
4 x Favored Hoplite
4 x Hero of Iroas
4 x Precinct Captain
3 x Phalanx Leader
3 x Xathrid Necromancer

Enchantments
2 x Ethereal Armor
3 x Murder Investigation
4 x Nyxborn Shieldmate
2 x Spear of Heliod

Instants
4 x Gods Willing
2 x Orzhov Charm

Lands
10x Plains
4 x Godless Shrine
4 x Temple of Silence
4 x Mutavault

I like this, and I had considered running something similar, but I ran in to issues with removal and board wipes. I know Murder Investigation/Eidolon/Necromancer helps these cases out but a lot of the time I would find myself getting 2-for-1'd by targeted removal. I personally ended up running 3x Nighthowler over Murder Investigation and found it worked wonders. Phalanx Leader's WW cost was a hindrance quite often as well, though I like the value he brings.

Consider 4x Tormented Hero if you want a little more black in the deck. Alternatively, Soldier of the Pantheon if you want to keep it mostly white.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

bhsman posted:

Yeah, I just kept drawing copies of Tymaret and Purph all night and wanted to tinker a bit.

Yeah, Anger is to help nab whatever can't die to Drown (like Caryatid), but not TOO many b/c it can remove Tymaret from the game.

I had the opposite problem with Tymaret and Purph. I had only 1 game where I had 2 Purph in hand to start, and most times I had 1 or drew one around turn 2-3. In every game I played I had a perfect 2 Tymaret. My opponent of one game literally swept and wept when I started cycling Tymaret. Play put 1 in GY, sac creature to put in hand, play put 1 in GY, sac creature to put in hand, play put 1 in GY..."thats so gay, build a real deck without cheap gimmicks!" Up to that point he was clearly leading that game...I was stalling trying to find a Horse or Pyromancer to get some tokens. I had burned through most of my single target removal, and removed his Ajani AND Elspeth. I personally didn't get enough Pyromancer though, so I do feel your pain there...having 4 may be something for me to consider...

One question did come up. Can I use Act of Treason to take a god with the devotion to be a creature then sac it? Would it still be a god on my side of the board if I don't have devotion? I said yes because I don't "own" the god so it is still based on the devotion of my opponent. Is this correct?

I like the use of Ratchet bomb, but it always seemed just a little slow for me...there is A LOT of aggro in my meta, so it is tough ramping it up to the 2-3 mark in time to save me. It may be what I sideboard on those Red Devotion Decks for the Drown in Sorrow. The kid I played relied REALLY heavily on Madcap Skills, so most of his creatures were 5/2 or 4/1 that would have died to a DiS.

BTW I went 4-1 with your deck, but the kid with Aetherlings didn't show up this week. My wins were against a W/R heroic, the U Tournament deck with Master of Waves, W/G Ramp deck and a B Devotion deck (which I think was poorly constructed or unlucky because if he got going my removal was only going to treat a couple wounds). My loss was the R Devotion.

OssiansFolly fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 10, 2014

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

OssiansFolly posted:

Would it still be a god on my side of the board if I don't have devotion? I said yes because I don't "own" the god so it is still based on the devotion of my opponent. Is this correct?
No. 'You' on a card refers to its current controller rather than the owner. Read the Akroan Horses you're playing closely. That card works as it does because of this terminology rule.

It's legit only in the edge case that you share a colour with your opponent and both you and they have the devotion to make the god active.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Sleep of Bronze posted:

No. 'You' on a card refers to its current controller rather than the owner. Read the Akroan Horses you're playing closely. That card works as it does because of this terminology rule.

It's legit only in the edge case that you share a colour with your opponent and both you and they have the devotion to make the god active.

Well that is good to know. I will be following bhsman then and removing Act of Treason and keeping Gild on my Sideboard to deal with gods.

• Locked thread