Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Eboracum posted:

Yes yes yessssssssssss.

This is perhaps my favorite thing about the new era of Manchester United. They are already as desperate as everyone else (Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool) to finish fourth just so they can get the much ridiculed Wenger Cup. Six months of David Moyes and fourth place is already a trophy :D

Most United fans know nothing besides success and they don't know how to deal with it and it's brilliant. I'm quite enjoying this as a plastic football fan in a country surrounded by hundreds of thousands of plastic United fans that know nothing else but gloating and smugness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

euroboy posted:

I'm quite enjoying this as a plastic football fan in a country surrounded by hundreds of thousands of plastic United fans that know nothing else but gloating and smugness.

Is it almost like a trophy?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

euroboy posted:

This is perhaps my favorite thing about the new era of Manchester United. They are already as desperate as everyone else (Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool) to finish fourth just so they can get the much ridiculed Wenger Cup. Six months of David Moyes and fourth place is already a trophy :D

Most United fans know nothing besides success and they don't know how to deal with it and it's brilliant. I'm quite enjoying this as a plastic football fan in a country surrounded by hundreds of thousands of plastic United fans that know nothing else but gloating and smugness.

Right thread.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013

The Clit Avoider posted:

Confusion2005 spotting?!

I remember that sod

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/430424176797966337

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

ESPNFC is like your American dad who doesn't really "get" football but he's happy that you like it and he tries to make comparisons to the NFL that are just not even close to being right because it's the only thing he knows.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Nostradingus posted:

ESPNFC is like your American dad who doesn't really "get" football but he's happy that you like it and he tries to make comparisons to the NFL that are just not even close to being right because it's the only thing he knows.

Where is this from?

Puseklepp
Jan 9, 2011

like watching the most beautiful ballerina on the best stage

Looks about right so far.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Nostradingus posted:

Not really, its generally a good site.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
ESPN knows.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
An imagined exit interview with Juan Mata

quote:

His London flat had not yet been packed up and sold, and he graciously invited me to meet him there, so that we could have the discussion in the comfort and privacy of his secure residence. Naturally, the place was impeccably decorated, stylish and modern yet subtle and classy. The gray weather outside made for a dim, somber atmosphere. My host, while kind and hospitable, generally reflected that tone in his words and actions. He moved slowly, not the spark plug that I'd seen in televised-interviews; his bright eyes seemed to have lost some of their light.

With tumultuous emotions frothing within me, I felt hesitant to speak, lest the barely-contained turmoil spill forth unabated. I manage, Where shall we begin? and the diminutive Spaniard's head snapped up. "Chelsea," he says, resolutely, "We start with Chelsea." As had probably been the case his entire life, Juan Mata's calm determination was contagious. The slightest hint of fire in his eyes drives me to collect my notepad and my senses. My anxieties settle into a dull ache in my stomach as I take up my pen and turn my attention to the Blues' former number ten. Chelsea, I echo, and we began.

The questions come pouring forth in a mostly manageable deluge after that, but most important was perhaps the first he answered: What happened to bring about your move? I remain taut on the edge of his white leather armchair as he sinks back into his, and painfully begins to relate the entire saga. The resignation is audible in his voice, and his eyes rarely look up from the hardwood floor.

quote:

Fortunately, I'd anticipated the difficulty in sorting through such deep-rooted and complex emotions, and I've brought a tool that should help to unlock emotions, loosen tongues, and relax the heavy brows that have darkened the room. My secret weapon: a 2007 Rioja Gran Reserva. He seems pleased to be able to get to his feet and set himself to the task of rummaging up a couple of glasses, and we settle back into the armchairs a few minutes later, already feeling buoyed by the injection of liquid courage.

quote:

Again, Juan Mata falls silent. This surprises me, with his willingness to have the interview and his reputation as a bit of a chatter-box. One would be remiss to mistake this relentless attacker for a man without patience, but tonight his silence weighs heavy with hesitance. "Chelsea is a special club," he begins slowly, "It is special to me, and to many... the fans, the manager, the players, everyone has always had respect for me and treated me very well. I am not so able to speak as well... in English," he says. His English is better than the vast majority of foreign players I know, but I empathize with his difficulties in self-expression. Perhaps this is why he's agreed to meet with me in particular, I think. You know, if you'd be more comfortable, I say, we could continue in Spanish. He nods gratefully.

(What follows is my attempt to translate the sentiments he then expressed to me. I have tried, to the best of my ability, to preserve the connotative meaning behind his words without forcing the reader to wrestle with semantics.)

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Hahahahahahahaha

crappledan
Dec 17, 2009

Serious Title Contenders

what the heck????

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

"I love Chelsea. As my first big club, it will always hold a special place in my heart."

lmao

holy poo poo he's done more than 1

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/1/20/5195038/imagined-interviews-behind-the-wall-with-petr-cech

Only registered members can see post attachments!

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
You're right. In fact he made a point of saying he wouldn't do it as a dig at Benitez. The truth is they share a very close belief in how to control games. The difference being that Benitez has a far better record of success considering how he won trophies with teams who were vastly outspent by his rivals. I suspect that's a major factor in Mourinhos hatred for Benitez. He'd hate if the media cottoned on to that fact. But in fairness he's safe enough there,the British media will never delve beneath the soundbite.

Modus Trollens
Sep 12, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

"I love Chelsea. As my first big club, it will always hold a special place in my heart."

lmao

holy poo poo he's done more than 1

http://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2014/1/20/5195038/imagined-interviews-behind-the-wall-with-petr-cech

Belgium, Athletico Madrid and Chelsea

yeah that makes sense

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
He really likes Courtois I guess.

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

Dunban posted:

He really likes Courtois I guess.

Well, it has been 'years' since Courtois joined so it all checks out.

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
- Our squad is the third best in the league, and is only slightly behind Chelsea's
- Nani, if given a run of games, will show to be our most important winger
- Mata won't fit for us long run unless we get rid of Rooney
- Fellaini may be useful for us
- Welbeck will be overtake RVP or Rooney in the pecking order in the next couple of seasons

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Eboracum posted:

- Our squad is the third best in the league, and is only slightly behind Chelsea's
- Nani, if given a run of games, will show to be our most important winger
- Mata won't fit for us long run unless we get rid of Rooney
- Fellaini may be useful for us
- Welbeck will be overtake RVP or Rooney in the pecking order in the next couple of seasons

sounds about right

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Eboracum posted:

Rooney and Van Persie will be better than Welbeck well into their 70s and especially when they are dead.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

I haven't clicked the link but this ends with the author making gentle love to Mata right?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02nf0ld8Kt4

e: I honestly can't remember if I have posted this here before

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

By flipping the left wing suarez/
sturridge (20 point defensive
value) with the sterling (35
defensive value ), Rogers
balanced the squad.
For example.... Assuming the
above values and that Sissoko
is about ten points less
defensive value than flano: until
today's game, they had lined up
with 20 points defensive value
on the left and 45 points
defensive value on the right.
Flanos defensive strength
allowed for a swap today. His
extra ten points offsets suarez
defensive weakness on the
right. It was 30 on the left and
35 on the right today.
Plus Flano's precision one touch
ability pairs well with Suarez's
precision in the same way
sissoko's lack thereof seems to
mesh with Sterlings stupid pace.
Swiss watch on the right.
Entropy on the Left.

Ho Chi Meeeeee
Jun 13, 2008

let me shovel out your brains
hang my image in your skull
so I can be the vision
in your nightmares from now on

Strawman posted:

balanced the squad.
is about ten points less
35 on the right today.
Entropy on the Left.

Source dat quote

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Strawman posted:

balanced the squad.
is about ten points less
35 on the right today.
Entropy on the Left.

Jesus

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

oh em gee bee ess posted:

Source dat quote

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=310107.msg12456515#msg12456515

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Kop Yank, I see.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

quote:

He's our Jon and he is stiff,
Doesn't give opponents a sniff,
In the corner the ball did sail,
Celebrate but beware an impale.

I'm crying here

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Hallowed Turban posted:

I'm crying here

hahahahahah jesus loving christ

GSgtReaver
Dec 12, 2012

What'cha thinks in my pipe?
I'm going to miss that silly serbian bad rear end.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQummupJc1s

Eric Cantonese fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 9, 2014

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

US actor Shia LaBeouf has walked out of a news conference for director Lars von Trier's new film Nymphomaniac at the Berlin Film Festival.

LaBeouf left after 10 minutes, quoting footballer Eric Cantona's famous 1995 line: "When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

That was the exact word I uttered upon reading that quote.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

The worst bit I find dealing with is the abuse from co workers. After we have enjoyed such success for such a long time people are thrilled we are doing so shite now.

They spend more time taking the piss out of United than they do following their own team.

:qq:

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Strawman posted:

balanced the squad.
is about ten points less
35 on the right today.
Entropy on the Left.
hahaha

I really can't believe this is for real but I so want to

not not luvd
Nov 17, 2006

My Arse!
Did anyone here see the Dark Knight Rises?

You know that first fight scene where Batman is hitting Bane with all he's got, but Bane just laughs at him and destroys him?

Yeah, that scene keeps coming to my head when I think of this match

w/r/t arse - united

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Eboracum posted:

Did anyone here see the Dark Knight Rises?

You know that first fight scene where Batman is hitting Bane with all he's got, but Bane just laughs at him and destroys him?

Yeah, that scene keeps coming to my head when I think of this match

w/r/t arse - united

oh my loving god

edit please tell me bane is united