Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I sent them an email. My German is really bad, so I hope Namensvorschlag means what I think it does and not "YOUR COUNTRY EARNS GOLDS IN TURD-EATING CONTEST IN SOCHI"

Well the Russian women's hockey team is shoving turds down Germany's collective mouths right now and asking them how it tastes. "Good, da?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

MariusLecter posted:

Well the Russian women's hockey team is shoving turds down Germany's collective mouths right now and asking them how it tastes. "Good, da?"

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the Canadian women's hockey team will poo poo and piss down every other team's collective mouths.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Agrajag posted:

I think it's pretty much guaranteed that the Canadian women's hockey team will poo poo and piss down every other team's collective mouths.

That's a given.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

My kid had asked us what we were laughing at so much while we were reading this thread, so we told her all about the shoddy hotels, the death courses, the dogs. She went off to play with some modeling clay, and a little while later produced this:

Sochi dogs! So cute and friendly!

...until one of the skiers eats it on a jump.

"He's screaming and holding his knee!" She chirps helpfully.

And, apparently, trying to fend off the starving dogs with one of his ski poles. :pwn:

You have raised your kid right.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Agrajag posted:

thats EXACTLY how I'd put it

poo poo and piss./ down a mouth

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
can the athlete decide in biathlon if he/she wants to stand or lie down while shooting? or does it change each round?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

midnightclimax posted:

can the athlete decide in biathlon if he/she wants to stand or lie down while shooting? or does it change each round?

There are four shooting rounds. Two standing, two lying down.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
ah ok. never watched this tbh.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Tomero_the_Great posted:

Apparently all of the livestreams are like this on the CBC website - everyone's privy to the behind-the-scenes chitchat during the non-existent commercials. I doubt that it'll be as juicy during the games as during the opening (when everyone was full of anticipation), but you might want to be ready for the closing ceremony.
Looks like they're inserting commercials into the webcast now as I'm watching the Women's 7k Biathlon and it's popped in commercials.

Paradox Personified posted:

They took it down early this morning, so in preparation I will try and record the stream for the closing ceremonies.
Thank you!

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I find figure skating hard to watch because I'm too nervous whenever they do a jump that they will fall

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Are they still doing biathalon stuff? I wanted to catch that, I had a TA in college who was going to be on the USSR biathalon team before the whole collapse of the soviet union thing. They'd take him to a nearby Red Army base to work on the shooting and whatnot, it sounded pretty crazy.

Motherfucker looked exactly like David Bowie, too, it was uncanny.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Pleshenko in "Why Do The Rest Of You Cowtippers Even Bother Getting On The Ice?"

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Kevin Reynolds is an extremely odd looking human being.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW
Watching the luge.

The poo poo about the track literally consists of old fibro and rough cut pine planks On the wide shots they have black tarps covering the rubble about the track.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Agrajag posted:

Not necessarily. As much as I want Hayley to get one more medal, they just lost a set of friendlies to the US team something terrible like 0-4.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
If the thread doesn't blow up about the closing ceremonies and CBC beforehand, just remind me. I want the hilarious mic'd-during-commercials commentary so bad, myself.

I-H posted:

Am I too late with this?

I had to look this poo poo up, son. The phrase is from an NEC PC-88 game called "The Screamer" (ザ・スクリーマー) where one of the character screens has some English text that ends with "DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED."

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

T.Worth posted:

Watching the luge.

The poo poo about the track literally consists of old fibro and rough cut pine planks On the wide shots they have black tarps covering the rubble about the track.

It has to be safer than Vancouver, otherwise the Indian luger would have gotten injured in one of his fails.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

actionjackson posted:

I find figure skating hard to watch because I'm too nervous whenever they do a jump that they will fall

The rear end to ice wipeouts are the best

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

UnnaturalSELECTION posted:

The rear end to ice wipeouts are the best

Oh god, all those sciatic nerves. :doh: Oh god. :barf: So much pain.

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW

Paradox Personified posted:

If the thread doesn't blow up about the closing ceremonies and CBC beforehand, just remind me. I want the hilarious mic'd-during-commercials commentary so bad, myself.

I had to look this poo poo up, son. The phrase is from an NEC PC-88 game called "The Screamer" (ザ・スクリーマー) where one of the character screens has some English text that ends with "DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED."

There's a good chance he first saw the phrase here, but thanks for digging up the truth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuPQo2DeFyQ

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Meat Recital posted:

the incompetence of these olympics is a high water mark that will be tough to beat, but i think these guys have a shot.

I'll admit that I don't know anything about Rio beyond that it's in Brazil and they did a Fast and the Furious movie there and they have a giant stone Jesus doing the "safe" motion. What's so terrible about it that it will be worse than Sochi?

edit: oh

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 9, 2014

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

raditts posted:

I'll admit that I don't know anything about Rio beyond that it's in Brazil and they did a Fast and the Furious movie there and they have a giant stone Jesus doing the "safe" motion. What's so terrible about it that it will be worse than Sochi?

If 'An Idiot Abroad' is to be trusted, it's crowded, loud, you'll be forced to sleep in the bedroom-closet of a drag queen because 'that's the tradition', and when you finally run away to a nice quiet beach to watch the sunrise in peace, you'll get continuously mooned by the concessions guy who's literally only wearing a polo shirt as he gets his concessions stand set up.

Because it's a nude beach.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

There would be no force with me because even as a woman, I love drag queens and I could always pretend I'm girlfriends with Willam.

Goddammit.

Jay-Zeus
Jan 5, 2004
I don't believe it!
Fun Shoe
Front page of CBC.ca:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

raditts posted:

The people running the country are nearly as corrupt as the ones running Russia. It's also got a kidnapping industry to rival Mexico's, which really makes it a weird choice for a place to bring a shitload of tourists to.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

raditts posted:

I like how they need to build so many stadiums. How much use is 15 stadiums going to get after it all?

Al Nipper
May 7, 2008

by XyloJW
Watch City of God and Elite Squad 2.

Also there's a few docs floating around about Rio (Vice Guide to Travel, and World's Scariest Gangs or something) where they showed every side of the Rio drug war to be hell. From medieval prisons where inmates are packed 30 to a cell (and are regularly murdered/beheaded), to cops shooting teenagers in broad daylight, and gangs throwing enemies/journalists into stacked tires then pouring gas and lighting it.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

t3h z0r posted:

Also there's a few docs floating around about Rio (Vice Guide to Travel, and World's Scariest Gangs or something) where they showed every side of the Rio drug war to be hell. From medieval prisons where inmates are packed 30 to a cell (and are regularly murdered/beheaded), to cops shooting teenagers in broad daylight, and gangs throwing enemies/journalists into stacked tires then pouring gas and lighting it.
Oh I get it now. They're going to be Drug Lord head quarters!

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

The X-man cometh posted:

It has to be safer than Vancouver, otherwise the Indian luger would have gotten injured in one of his fails.

You mean the independent competitor?

Because India was banned for being too corrupt for even the IOC:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/06/india-s-olympic-mess-why-you-won-t-see-the-nation-s-flag-in-sochi.html

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

T.Worth posted:

Watching the luge.

That explains why nbc isn't showing any coverage of it on tv

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Croccers posted:

I like how they need to build so many stadiums. How much use is 15 stadiums going to get after it all?

Depends on where they are, really. São Paulo and Rio are where the big teams are, mostly.

Manaus, near the Amazon and where it is hot as balls? Not much.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

you irl posted:

That explains why nbc isn't showing any coverage of it on tv

NBC: Nice Broadcasting, Comrades :ussr:

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

T.Worth posted:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/06/india-s-olympic-mess-why-you-won-t-see-the-nation-s-flag-in-sochi.html

As much as I hate the Olympics I have to admit that I think India would put on an amazing opening ceremony.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

T.Worth posted:

Only 26 medals ever won by India lmbo.

The Ape of Naples posted:

As much as I hate the Olympics I have to admit that I think India would put on an amazing opening ceremony.

No they would probably be worse then Russia's.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Wonder what would happen if you threw $51 billion at Bollywood.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

MariusLecter posted:

Wonder what would happen if you threw $51 billion at Bollywood.

Indian Thriller remastered for widescreen displays

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

71 billion dollars:

Three guys play cards while drinking tea for 6 hours in a cardboard box.

Nothing sus, no corruption here!

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"
Then a very tasteful simulation* of a gangrape

*May not be a simulation.

T.Worth
Aug 31, 2012

by XyloJW

The Unnamed One posted:

Then a very tasteful simulation* of a gangrape

*May not be a simulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

t3h z0r posted:

Actually, watch the first Elite Squad as well. The whole movie is centered around Pope John Paul II's visit in the '90s, where he spent a single night at the Archbishop's home near the Morro dos Prazeres. BOPE went out on a major military operation leading up to that. You're going to want to see it because that's exactly what's happening for the World Cup this year and the 2016 Olympics.

• Locked thread