Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Brackhar posted:

Something like that, at least in its trappings. It still suffers from the impenetrable FFXIII storyline, but you can kinda ignore it actually.

Yeah, actually. I'm a little confused about the difficulty curve; it seems my experience in fights is either to completely overpower an enemy or to take continual massive damage. Guarding, while definitely useful, also doesn't seem quite as preventative as I would have expected. Am I missing something?

Also, since there is a time-limit on the game but the world is fairly open, do you have any advice on what order to attack the five major quests in?

Guarding seems to be heavily based on getting perfect guards more than just holding it down to block. Mediguard either has a much smaller window for perfect guards or can't perfect guard at all, so maybe that's part of your issue if you're using it?

And drat you people getting the game before the street date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I had the 'pleasure' of playing Lightning Returns today. I put pleasure in quotes because it's a miserable goddamn experience.

Time constraint mechanics can work sometimes, but in this it totally ruins the experience. Hey, lets give you a cool city to explore! But let's also discourage exploration and enforce stupid, arbitrary time based encounters.

I mean good GOD everything about this time of day stuff just makes the game more frustrating and unfun.

Also SHUT THE gently caress UP, HOPE. You know how people bitch about Japanese development because it's becoming hand holdy? I hope you love the same direction being repeated to you 3 times in a row while being phrased differently, I hope you like your objective being periodically reminded to you every few minutes, I hope you like being reminded what something does every time you do it, I hope you like a loving annoying goddamn talking bastard who is a kid again for some reason! ARGH

edit: Oh I hope you like a protagonist that, this time, this is not a joke, is LITERALLY AN EMOTIONLESS CARICATURE. God stripped away her emotion! That's alright, you might say, there's a story reason for it. It's not as if this stupid trilogy's story is loving impenetrable or anything.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Feb 9, 2014

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

I was really surprised by how unlike most of their work Resonance of Fate is. Did they bring outside writers after the horror that was SO4?

As far as I know, Tri-Ace is (or was, at the time of SO4) comprised of two teams. One was mostly hold-overs from the Valkyrie Profile days, and they're the ones who worked on RoF. The Morlocks in the other team made SO3 and SO4.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

cat doter posted:

edit: Oh I hope you like a protagonist that, this time, this is not a joke, is LITERALLY AN EMOTIONLESS CARICATURE. God stripped away her emotion! That's alright, you might say, there's a story reason for it. It's not as if this stupid trilogy's story is loving impenetrable or anything.

Lightning had emotions beyond 'punching Snow'?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Is stoic an emotion?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Squallege posted:

Is stoic an emotion?

Stoicism is a lack of emotion. Can lack of emotion be considered, in itself, an emotion? And if one is deprived of their emotions despite feeling nothing but stoicism, does that mean they lack their lack of emotions? Is an absence deprived a presence?

All these philosophical questions, and more, in modern opus Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Brackhar posted:

Yeah, actually. I'm a little confused about the difficulty curve; it seems my experience in fights is either to completely overpower an enemy or to take continual massive damage. Guarding, while definitely useful, also doesn't seem quite as preventative as I would have expected. Am I missing something?

Also, since there is a time-limit on the game but the world is fairly open, do you have any advice on what order to attack the five major quests in?

Generally fights come in one of two types:

A) You are powerful enough to wreck the enemy. In this case you just want to defeat it before it damages you.

B) You are not powerful enough to wreck the enemy. In this case your goal is damage mitigation. Guarding is extremely important against these kinds of fights, either to limit the damage the enemy does or because in a defensive-type Paradigm you can literally make them do zero damage with guarding. (Or will specific skill setups.)

C) The time limit is not a major issue so I would not strain about it. As far as an order to go: The Shadow Hunter quest is easy to do (and strongly encouraged first) and gets you a fairly good item. Snow's quest and the Dunes quest both get you incredibly overpowered defensive items. The airship quest involves travelling around the world and is generally best started early and finished whenever you get all the pieces. The same goes for the Chocobo quest although you may want to finish that last because the boss of that area is probably the hardest non-optional fight in the game.

cat doter posted:

I mean good GOD everything about this time of day stuff just makes the game more frustrating and unfun.

You have effectively infinite time with zero effort. I have absolutely no idea what to say if you're feeling constrained because I can only assume you're intentionally ignoring your ability to stop time forever. If the time system has a problem it is the exact opposite of this. You have too much time and so much control over it that it may as well not be a thing. I literally had to sleep through multiple days of the game because I had nothing left to do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 9, 2014

deepshock
Sep 26, 2008

Poor zombies never stood a chance.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

To be fair, that was an emotion shared by a lot of people playing and watching the game. There was even a wider emotional range shared by players and viewers all over the fist-in-face spectrum, going with most of the characters in the game, playable or otherwise. It was like a rainbow of irritation.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ImpAtom posted:

C) The time limit is not a major issue so I would not strain about it. As far as an order to go: The Shadow Hunter quest is easy to do (and strongly encouraged first) and gets you a fairly good item. Snow's quest and the Dunes quest both get you incredibly overpowered defensive items. The airship quest involves travelling around the world and is generally best started early and finished whenever you get all the pieces. The same goes for the Chocobo quest although you may want to finish that last because the boss of that area is probably the hardest non-optional fight in the game.

I read that the story bosses get different outfits and get stronger if you do them later, and apparently some of them also get better loot?

I managed to score the game early, and while initially I was in a bit of a panicky rush, after I got to the end of the second day and realized how much I had managed to do in just those two days, I chilled out a lot more. I don't even stop time that much unless there's something I need to do a lot in a certain time period. I AM having some trouble with fights though. I dunno if I'm dumb, or if I just don't have good commands yet, but it seems like fights are either of the "I can kill this in one combo" or "I will lose half my health flailing wildly trying to get them staggered" varieties, with no real in-between. It doesn't help that I honestly have no clue which of these goddamn outfits are actually good or not. I thought Red Mage was good at first but then I realized Light Attack is kinda lovely because it can't stagger worth a drat.

I'm also constantly broke due to buying funny hats to put on Lightning. I should probably stop that (I won't stop that).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I read that the story bosses get different outfits and get stronger if you do them later, and apparently some of them also get better loot?

I managed to score the game early, and while initially I was in a bit of a panicky rush, after I got to the end of the second day and realized how much I had managed to do in just those two days, I chilled out a lot more. I don't even stop time that much unless there's something I need to do a lot in a certain time period. I AM having some trouble with fights though. I dunno if I'm dumb, or if I just don't have good commands yet, but it seems like fights are either of the "I can kill this in one combo" or "I will lose half my health flailing wildly trying to get them staggered" varieties, with no real in-between. It doesn't help that I honestly have no clue which of these goddamn outfits are actually good or not. I thought Red Mage was good at first but then I realized Light Attack is kinda lovely because it can't stagger worth a drat.

I'm also constantly broke due to buying funny hats to put on Lightning. I should probably stop that (I won't stop that).

As far as I'm aware the story bosses don't drop anything different (I assume that's what you mean by different outfits) as you advance the story. Enemies do scale in difficulty as the days pass but I don't think it's anything huge.

As far as outfit quality: Don't stress about it. Look at what you want the Schema to do, pick an outfit that roughly fits it, and you'll be just fine. Even if it has a kind of eh ability, you can generally get around that with your other three abilities. (If it has two "eh" abilities then it honestly is kind of crappy but there aren't a lot of those.) Generally it's a safe bet to have a physical attack Schema with Beatdown/Heavy Slash, Attack, and maybe Aeroea or something to help stagger enemies, a defensive Schema with Guard/Heavy Guard and debuffs like Deprotect/Deshell, and a Magic Schema with either all four elements or three elements and Imperil.

One thing I strongly recommend is to make only one defensive schema. Don't put Guard on everything. Get used to swapping to your defensive schema to block instead. Another thing worth remembering is that Arm-equip items (the circular bracelets) apply to all schema, not just the equipped one. This lets you further buff defenses with Runic/Guard Rings (and is the key to some fairly broken skill setups.) Evade is also crazy-powerful but is a lot more feast-and-famine and if you're not comfortable dodging with it you'll get wrecked. Guard/Heavy Guard is a lot safer.

Certainly seemingly crappy moves can be boosted by certain Garbs. Punt, for example, seems pretty lovely until you get the Martial Monk Garb at which point it becomes hilariously powerful because it evolves into the Whirlwind Kick ability. Heavy Slash is good-but-not-great until you get the Garb that turns it into Artemis' Arrows at which point it becomes what I believe is the single most powerful attack in the game.

If you absolutely want to know how to break the game:
Finish Snow's quest. Get the item he drops on the ground after his quest. Buy the Guardian or Cyber-whatever garbs. The ones that had 15% physical damage reduction. Equip that item, a Guard Ring and those garbs. Congrads! You're now immune to physical damage entirely unless someone uses Deprotect on you! Equip a good Guard and get used to blocking magical attacks and now you've got two schema you can dedicated entirely to wrecking face. The item from the Dunes level is the same but for magic instead, which is a little less useful but still crazy-good. Just replace Guard Ring with Runic Ring and use the other Garb you didn't use for the first one.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 9, 2014

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

What I meant by different outfits is something I read in Split Infinity's FAQ (I couldn't find an item for a certain quest no matter how hard I looked), that says after like, hang on lemme just copy paste it:

Note: if you fight Noel on Day 7 or later, he will be called Noel Kreiss+. His outfit is different, he has higher stats and drops a different weapon upon defeat.

Apparently that is in fact a thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

What I meant by different outfits is something I read in Split Infinity's FAQ (I couldn't find an item for a certain quest no matter how hard I looked), that says after like, hang on lemme just copy paste it:

Note: if you fight Noel on Day 7 or later, he will be called Noel Kreiss+. His outfit is different, he has higher stats and drops a different weapon upon defeat.

Yeah, post Day-7 enemies get tougher. The game points this out to you specifically if I recall. If Noel gets a different outfit that is a thing I didn't notice since I wrecked his face by day... 2? 3? One of those.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Speaking of those majestic people, what have they put out recently? Anything worth playing? I loved Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile, but neither series has really surpassed those titles. Radiata Stories wasn't really my jam either.

You ever try Covenant of the Plume?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oxxidation posted:

Stoicism is a lack of emotion. Can lack of emotion be considered, in itself, an emotion? And if one is deprived of their emotions despite feeling nothing but stoicism, does that mean they lack their lack of emotions? Is an absence deprived a presence?

All these philosophical questions, and more, in modern opus Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.
I believe you mean modern magnum opus, Fabula Nova Crystallis: Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII.

I am sad they didn't actually put the FNC name on the games, it's the only way it could have been more pretentious.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fronz posted:

You ever try Covenant of the Plume?

Didn't get into it, but I also didn't play a ton of it. Actually, same thing happened with the first Valkyrie Profile, I played an hour or two then forgot I owned it for a year.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Oh hey, for those who were talking about tonberry a page back, there's a plush currently on sale in the North American store: link

There's a couple different versions if you pick the different sub-categories on the left hand side of the page under merchandise.

HeyMrDeadMan
Mar 10, 2007

is a swell guy
Those who've played the demo for LR, what's the trick to getting a boss score higher than 1? That's my high score after three playthroughs.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The scoring system seems to be based on time, with using items and Overclocking reducing your final score somehow (either by subtracting points or reducing it by a percentage). If you want a really good score (187500+) you need to restart over and over again till you get good bonuses on your abilities (STR+80 on as much as you can get), and you need to buy one or two Kikuichimonji from people wandering around (STR + 500 sword). If you can buy more Dragoon Gauntlets and Magical Rods, then that also helps a lot. Basically you deprotect > beat down + jump to stagger > light slash + heavy slash to kill. If you get a Magical Rod, you can use Blizzaga instead of beat down + jump, since rods seem to significantly shorten magical casting animations.

Now if you want the fastest possible kill (sub ten seconds, seven is probably possible, maybe even six). Then just use warrior potions, and a enfrost potion, stagger him as quickly as possible, and then overclock with critical heavy slashes.

Systematic System fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 10, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

Those who've played the demo for LR, what's the trick to getting a boss score higher than 1? That's my high score after three playthroughs.

Staggering is key. You want to stagger the boss first and then you can pretty easily wreck it with damage.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

HeyMrDeadMan posted:

Just to potentially save you some time if you didn't notice it, the boss will respawn as a regular enemy after beating it in the demo, so you don't need to do a fresh play through each time.

Various tips assuming you don't do anything like buying from the player shops or moving abilities between schema:
-Dragoon, hearstealer, black mage, and particularly dark muse are all good schema for the fight. Red mage isn't bad, but its damage and stagger ability are poor and deprotect isn't really worth it. Savior is terrible at least in the demo, so dump that poo poo ASAP.
-Keep a schema with regular guard, not mediguard, and learn the timing for perfect guarding its attacks. Dragoon's counter and heartstealer's evade will work on stampede and the tail swipe, but not the fireball.
-Launching isn't linked to stagger status and happens from abilities that cause recoil (launch is for some reason not actually launch). Dragoon's charged attack and heartstealer's punt are nearly guaranteed launches. Blizzaga can do it sometimes, but don't count on it.
-The boss's vulnerable spot is its head and it is weak to ice and resistant to physical.

A fairly easy strategy is to use black mage, dragoon, dark muse as your schema. Toss out quick freezes until you have just enough ATB for a blizzaga, then swap to dragoon and do a quick charged attack (don't charge it). That should launch the boss, and when it lands you can hit it in the head with beat down -> launch for a practically guaranteed stagger. Swap to dark muse and lay into its head with frost strikes while it's staggered until you're out of ATB. If you've got it, burn overclock and continue frost striking, which will leave you with a full ATB bar for more frost striking. If you've got more overclock and the boss is still staggered, do it again. If the boss is still alive after that, just repeat the whole process. I think you can still 5 star it even if you use overclock, but overclocking isn't necessary.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2014

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Didn't get into it, but I also didn't play a ton of it. Actually, same thing happened with the first Valkyrie Profile, I played an hour or two then forgot I owned it for a year.

If you never got back into it I totally suggest doing VP. The first hour sucks but the rest of the game is one of my favorites. Just use a guide to make sure you get the best ending if you're only gonna play it once, and obsess yourself with getting all the poo poo in dungeons cuz why not.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fronz posted:

If you never got back into it I totally suggest doing VP. The first hour sucks but the rest of the game is one of my favorites. Just use a guide to make sure you get the best ending if you're only gonna play it once, and obsess yourself with getting all the poo poo in dungeons cuz why not.

VP picks up a lot once you start recruiting Einherjar. The entire opening Arngrim thing is tone-setting but kind of a pain to sit through. Once you get past that it is top-notch though.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 10, 2014

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ImpAtom posted:

VP picks up a lot once you start recruiting Einherjar. The entire opening Arngrim thing is tone-setting but kind of a pain to sit through.

Just seconding this. I love VP and I'm still waiting for my Valkyrie Profile: Hrist! :argh:

Also, I just love how over-the-top arrogant every character is. :allears:

Except Llewellyn (sp?)

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

You have effectively infinite time with zero effort. I have absolutely no idea what to say if you're feeling constrained because I can only assume you're intentionally ignoring your ability to stop time forever. If the time system has a problem it is the exact opposite of this. You have too much time and so much control over it that it may as well not be a thing. I literally had to sleep through multiple days of the game because I had nothing left to do.

Wouldn't you have to grind monsters every time you freeze time considering it costs 1ep? You only get to freeze time for not very long and it takes a fair amount of fights to regain that ep.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Chaotic Flame posted:

Just seconding this. I love VP and I'm still waiting for my Valkyrie Profile: Hrist! :argh:

Also, I just love how over-the-top arrogant every character is. :allears:

Except Llewellyn (sp?)

I don't think many of them are over the top arrogant, it's just that the other ones don't talk much. On the other hand Badrach has by far the best recruitment scene.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cat doter posted:

Wouldn't you have to grind monsters every time you freeze time considering it costs 1ep? You only get to freeze time for not very long and it takes a fair amount of fights to regain that ep.

You don't have to grind monsters at all, no. There are monsters that give 2 EP/fight and any Chaos Zone fight gives you an assured 1 EP on top of the usual prizes. Add into this that if you're in any sort of 'dungeon' area that monsters attack fairly regularly and it's absolutely trivial to generally stay full-up on EP just in the course of regular combat. 1 EP is nothing. Teleport costs 3 EP and I used it instead of the trains at basically every opportunity and I still was full up on EP most of the time. You also gain increased EP storage as the game progresses which makes it even harder to run out.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 10, 2014

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

Well if the time stuff is fairly trivial I suppose that's ok, but I have a far bigger problem with the other stuff I mentioned, the time based stuff just seemed irritating at first. I want to strangle hope.

I mean yeah let's take the most annoying character from FFXIII and make him never stop loving talking, what a great idea.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cat doter posted:

Well if the time stuff is fairly trivial I suppose that's ok, but I have a far bigger problem with the other stuff I mentioned, the time based stuff just seemed irritating at first. I want to strangle hope.

I mean yeah let's take the most annoying character from FFXIII and make him never stop loving talking, what a great idea.

Hope acts literally nothing like he does in FFXIII. Aside from occasionally going "hey, remember that time when...?" he's functionally a new character. (Which I guess sucks for anyone who likes the FFXIII-2 version but whatever. Do they even exist?) If you really hate his voice actor I can maybe understand it being a problem but otherwise he isn't going to talk about Moms Are Tough or how much he wants to stab Snow or anything like that. He's effectively every radio/support character in existence. Right down to betraying you in the ending because of course he does. He's the guy you talk to on the radio. When have they ever not betrayed you?

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 10, 2014

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

It's not the voice actor, it's the hand holdy, constantly repetitious, nature of his character. I have no idea if this stops further on in the game, but this is the logical conclusion of the hand holy nature of Japanese games design, a character in your ear that gives you zero agency and considers you half brain dead.

You can almost picture every single design decision made by the developers being followed by 'but what if they don't understand!?' while they tremble with fear at the prospect.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Hope acts literally nothing like he does in FFXIII. Aside from occasionally going "hey, remember that time when...?" he's functionally a new character.

Also Hope in 13-2 was the best character because he was literally just the Pope of Science.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cat doter posted:

It's not the voice actor, it's the hand holdy, constantly repetitious, nature of his character. I have no idea if this stops further on in the game, but this is the logical conclusion of the hand holy nature of Japanese games design, a character in your ear that gives you zero agency and considers you half brain dead.

You can almost picture every single design decision made by the developers being followed by 'but what if they don't understand!?' while they tremble with fear at the prospect.

How far did you play? He tells you what to do in the tutorial because it's the tutorial. Otherwise he comments on what you're doing and is there to be Lightning's less-charming Grimiore Weiss. The most annoying thing I can recall him doing is that he'll start giving you multiple reminders between 5 AM and 6 AM to let you know "hey, time is running out, in case you forgot!!!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Also Hope in 13-2 was the best character because he was literally just the Pope of Science.

He's the Pope of Religion now, but lacks a giant hat. I guess Lightning has him covered there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Feb 10, 2014

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ImpAtom posted:

Hope acts literally nothing like he does in FFXIII. Aside from occasionally going "hey, remember that time when...?" he's functionally a new character. (Which I guess sucks for anyone who likes the FFXIII-2 version but whatever. Do they even exist?) If you really hate his voice actor I can maybe understand it being a problem but otherwise he isn't going to talk about Moms Are Tough or how much he wants to stab Snow or anything like that. He's effectively every radio/support character in existence. Right down to betraying you in the ending because of course he does. He's the guy you talk to on the radio. When have they ever not betrayed you?

It's almost like the writers don't have a good handle on the characters' personalities or something and so they can just do whatever with them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

It's almost like the writers don't have a good handle on the characters' personalities or something and so they can just do whatever with them.

Pretty much. Lightning Returns could have been an entirely different franchise and nobody would have noticed. It's particularly funny when Vanille shows up with completely unexplained new magical powers that are completely at odds with anything else in the setting.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

How far did you play? He tells you what to do in the tutorial because it's the tutorial. Otherwise he comments on what you're doing and is there to be Lightning's less-charming Grimiore Weiss. The most annoying thing I can recall him doing is that he'll start giving you multiple reminders between 5 AM and 6 AM to let you know "hey, time is running out, in case you forgot!!!"

Dude, seriously, if you're not noticing the redundant nature of the way mechanics are introduced (even outside of the tutorial) and how every time you use an EP power or something like that he reminds you what it does, then I dunno what to say, because it's incredibly obvious and super annoying. It's not just a few reminders during the day either, it's like every in game hour.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I 5-stared the dragon by casting Blizzaga to launch him, then switching to dragoon and doing a heavy attack x2 for the jump on his exposed head. That staggers him in about 3 seconds. Then hit his head with froststrike for a while. Repeat as needed. But people are right that Blizzaga does not always launch him. Really, launching and hitting his head seems to be the only reliable way to stagger him quickly, as you can be casting that fast frost spell or Blizzaga all day and it doesn't seem to get the job done.

Systematic System posted:

The scoring system seems to be based on time, with using items and Overclocking reducing your final score somehow (either by subtracting points or reducing it by a percentage). If you want a really good score (187500+) you need to restart over and over again till you get good bonuses on your abilities (STR+80 on as much as you can get), and you need to buy one or two Kikuichimonji from people wandering around (STR + 500 sword). If you can buy more Dragoon Gauntlets and Magical Rods, then that also helps a lot. Basically you deprotect > beat down + jump to stagger > light slash + heavy slash to kill. If you get a Magical Rod, you can use Blizzaga instead of beat down + jump, since rods seem to significantly shorten magical casting animations.

Now if you want the fastest possible kill (sub ten seconds, seven is probably possible, maybe even six). Then just use warrior potions, and a enfrost potion, stagger him as quickly as possible, and then overclock with critical heavy slashes.

Wait wait, I have questions. You say "restart over and over again till you get good bonuses" - are your abilities/bonuses randomized in the demo?

And you can get strong equipment from people wandering around? All those "user-generated NPCs" that I talked to just had a picture and no item for sale. And how would people be selling things that weren't otherwise available in the demo?

Also, in the full game, does it still take a loving year to talk to those NPCs? During the demo it would literally have to load for like 40 seconds to see whatever picture people had posted, and I gave up on it after talking to about 2 people. I can't image doing that for a full game.

And this is based on what chumbler posted, but you can perfect guard the fire breath attacks? It seems like figuring out the timing on some of those attacks would be a nightmare. Can you perfect guard anything? Guarding those breath attacks normally didn't seem to do poo poo, so I assumed you were supposed to evade them, but you say that's not possible. Is there some way of telling what is or is not evadable?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

And this is based on what chumbler posted, but you can perfect guard the fire breath attacks? It seems like figuring out the timing on some of those attacks would be a nightmare. Can you perfect guard anything? Guarding those breath attacks normally didn't seem to do poo poo, so I assumed you were supposed to evade them, but you say that's not possible. Is there some way of telling what is or is not evadable?

You can definitely perfect guard the fireball, but it takes a bit to get the hang of the timing. The camera angle when the boss does it doesn't really help matters. I only say you can't evade it because I was unable to do it, so take that with a grain of salt. It could just have different timing. It wouldn't surprise me if explosions or magic attacks can't be evaded, though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

cat doter posted:

Dude, seriously, if you're not noticing the redundant nature of the way mechanics are introduced (even outside of the tutorial) and how every time you use an EP power or something like that he reminds you what it does, then I dunno what to say, because it's incredibly obvious and super annoying. It's not just a few reminders during the day either, it's like every in game hour.

Uh, you played a very different game then I did because I don't recall being reminded every single time I used an EP power. I don't even remember being reminded at all. Most of the EP powers you get are just in chests and Hope doesn't say jack poo poo about them and he doesn't say anything at all when you use Teleport, Curaga or the time freeze.

Did you actually get past the first murder mystery segment and such? All of that is introducing you to the time system and sidequest system and stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Feb 10, 2014

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I scrolled over this like an idiot.

Is Noel seriously an enemy you have to fight, and is it just a temporary thing in terms of the story, because Noel was the best goddamn thing to happen to this trilogy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I scrolled over this like an idiot.

Is Noel seriously an enemy you have to fight, and is it just a temporary thing in terms of the story, because Noel was the best goddamn thing to happen to this trilogy.

Yes, Noel is a boss, but he isn't a guy you kill. Each of the game's story missions revolves around one of the surviving FFXIII/2 characters and Lightning trying to help them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fronz posted:

That's not what I meant to imply, my bad. I loving loved Valkyrie Profile, ICICLE DISASTERed my way to every ending, been through the Seraphic Gate too many times, I just felt like the DS sequel was going to be a very different game. And VP: Silmeria had already rubbed me wrong, so I moved on.