Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olive Mohel
Nov 8, 2006

Life is more than a series of ones and zeroes.
Skunks don't constantly stink, only when they spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Everett True
April 5 & 6, 1918

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Jeez, this story arc could last months.

Heavenly Nostrils

:v:

9 Chickweed Lane 2/9/2003

Not bad, Brooke.

Zits

:ughh:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The first Homer story I ever saw (the one where he's just trying to live a long life) is pretty good. The trick is finding it, of course.

Peanuts (February 12, 1967)

In Charlie Brown's world, nothing quite delivers soul-crushing disappointment better than Valentine's Day.

In Funky Winkerbean's world, on the other hand, nothing delivers a crushed soul better than just waking up in the morning.

Classic Popeye Sunday (c. 1941)

Wimpy hasn't learned the pusher's lesson: getting hooked on your own junk is hazardous to your bottom line.

Pogo is missing a week from my source, but it's easy to sum up: Owl's solar expedition has already gone off the rails. (February 15, 1970)

First-Gen Blondie (c. 1941)

It's another BOYZENDORGS day at Out Our Way! (May 30-31, 1924)

The lighter side of the long minute before mom takes a mangled kid to the hospital!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Sunday Funnies
Bloom County

Calvin And Hobbes

Cheap Thrills Cuisine

Diamond Lil is about a feisty old woman. On a personal note, I really don't care for the art style.

Who was it that used to post The Dinette Set? It's a strip that rips on the type of people who are proud to shop at Wal-Mart.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin's Winter Follies

I'll give it a few days, then start on Moomin Builds a House, don't think that's been posted.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Cul-de-sac is a high-concept strip.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Foxtrot

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Momma

I know a Vietnamese woman, and apparently the social mores over there concerning how women dress are pretty weird. While the strength of the practice has been lessening recently, traditionally once women hit the age where they're supposed to settle down and start a family they are expected to, among other things, start dressing extremely plainly. Their clothes shouldn't be at all revealing, they should be in subdued colors, and so forth. The person I know was saying that a few years back when her family came to America, her mom was really loving thrilled because it meant that she would be able to wear floral print shirts. Now I bring up this little story because this comic is not that, and also gently caress Momma.

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Wow, topical.

Arlo and Janis

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

It's MRA bullshit, but holy gently caress I think something might actually happen in this comic.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Romeo is just mad that the boat found a way to make an early exit from this dud.

The water is deep enough to sink a canoe entirely in, but shallow enough to stand ankle-deep.

This fact is becoming increasingly obnoxious to me!

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

It's MRA bullshit, but holy gently caress I think something might actually happen in this comic.

Good lord, those proportions. :gonk:

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 9, 2014

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I guess the pillowcase boot is the future hot ticket footwear.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Wanamingo posted:

Zachary Nixon Johnson

I'm trying to suspend judgment until something does happen, but somehow the pacing is really off and not just because it's moving so slowly. It's like the writer meant to storyboard a slapstick 3-minute live comedy sketch and got carried away with reaction shots - all the wrong things are getting emphasized. And that drat hamburger should have fallen apart or gotten dropped on the floor by now.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Gee, what an efficient use of space to zoom in on some talking heads and word balloons.

TofuDiva posted:

I'm trying to suspend judgment until something does happen, but somehow the pacing is really off and not just because it's moving so slowly. It's like the writer meant to storyboard a slapstick 3-minute live comedy sketch and got carried away with reaction shots - all the wrong things are getting emphasized. And that drat hamburger should have fallen apart or gotten dropped on the floor by now.
That :burger: is going to play a pivotal role in the mystery, no doubt.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn

Romeo is just mad that the boat found a way to make an early exit from this dud.

A sword fight is happening, but that might be interesting and/or exciting, so it's important that we now focus on someone looking petulant because his boat is sinking.

Esseb
Jun 29, 2008

Just a small fix there:

Esseb fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 9, 2014

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Sergio Aragones Funnies (Mad #286, April 1989)

Don Martin Dept. (Mad #102, April 1966)

Thorn/50% More Absorbent Comix Crossover Extravaganza (February 29, 1984)

Lucky Cow (May 2, 2004)

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I agree that MAD should have it's own thread, that way it could also attract posters who don't read the comic strip thread. Besides, some of my favorite MAD segments aren't even comic strips!

Heathcliff

The Phantom

Pickles

Sunday Rip Haywire

Classic Prince Valiant

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

GorfZaplen posted:

I agree that MAD should have it's own thread, that way it could also attract posters who don't read the comic strip thread. Besides, some of my favorite MAD segments aren't even comic strips!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Hal Foster uses that word a lot. Maybe he lacked a thesaurus.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Goddamn it I found the eyeball and the dynamite, where's the third thing?

EDIT: and right after I post this, I see the K2 he snuck in there.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Hal Foster uses that word a lot. Maybe he lacked a thesaurus.

I forget where I read it, but this is apparently a rewritten and simplified version by Max Trell, which explains the strange box of text in the first panel of yesterday's strip.

quote:

Writer Max Trell's serialized children's stories ran in North American newspapers from the late 1920s through the early 1950s. His "Good Night Stories" told of the adventures of Knarf and Hanid, two shadow children who lived in Shadowland. Trell wrote for a number of cartoon strips as well and was one of the writers who replaced Dashiell Hammett after his departure from the strip Secret Agent X-9. He collaborated with several writers on the Prince Valiant comic strip and related books and authored several other books and screenplays over his long career.

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I really don't think we should have a Mad thread. This thread's absolute strength, and why I like it so crazily better than basically anything else in this subforum, is the variety in comics posted. Like this ain't no low-rent thread where we talk about One Comic and One Comic Alone, this is ALL COMICS from ALL OF HISTORY and ALL OVER THE WORLD and I've been exposed to so much great new and old and weird stuff because of it and if you want to start getting nitpicky about what should and should not be posted here then the thread is going to end up as like seven threads which all suck just a little bit more than this one did.

Also literally one person is posting Mad comics that is not a thread that is literally one person posting Mad comics

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk

FunkyAl posted:

I really don't think we should have a Mad thread. This thread's absolute strength, and why I like it so crazily better than basically anything else in this subforum, is the variety in comics posted. Like this ain't no low-rent thread where we talk about One Comic and One Comic Alone, this is ALL COMICS from ALL OF HISTORY and ALL OVER THE WORLD and I've been exposed to so much great new and old and weird stuff because of it and if you want to start getting nitpicky about what should and should not be posted here then the thread is going to end up as like seven threads which all suck just a little bit more than this one did.

Also literally one person is posting Mad comics that is not a thread that is literally one person posting Mad comics

Yeah, I agree with this. Even me, who is crazily obsessed with all things cartoons, learned so much from this thread.

If other people started posting content from MAD, then yeah, I can see that as a justification for its own thread, but like you said, I'm the only person so far.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Threads & You.
If you want to discuss a book/topic/writer/artist but don't see a thread for one, make one. Threads should be more than one sentence questions but they also don't need to be Wikipedia article length to start discussion.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

Moomin's Winter Follies

I'll give it a few days, then start on Moomin Builds a House, don't think that's been posted.

I have to say thank you so much for posting these stories. I've enjoyed them so much I've bought all the Moomin strip collections I could find. It's fast becoming one of my favourites.

Esseb posted:

Just a small fix there:

This is beautiful :golfclap:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Ahhhhh. It wouldn't be a Comic Strip Megathread if every so often we didn't derail into a heated argument about whether or not a comic should be posted here. :allears:

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Cul-de-sac is a high-concept strip.

I gotta give it to Petey, this would work on me. The anticipation of getting scared is ALWAYS at least as scary, if not scarier, than the scare itself.

Pros & Cons

Powdered Toast Man

:haw:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Prince Valiant

:aaa:

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

Big Ben Bolt

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Wow... "boisterously gay." That's, like, a gay scale that goes to 11, huh?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

JANE YOU hosed UP

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

Don't like half of the traditional methods for killing the undead involve shoving things straight through their hearts/decapitation? I'm just saying, these pirates seem pretty quick to give up.

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Wow... "boisterously gay." That's, like, a gay scale that goes to 11, huh?

It's like, "how much more gay could this be?", and the answer is "none". None more gay.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Bitchtits McGee posted:

It's like, "how much more gay could this be?", and the answer is "none". None more gay.

Hey! Where's Dan Dare!? I'm gonna start doing bath salts if I don't get my fix... :haw:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Julet Esqu posted:

Powdered Toast Man

:haw:
They even put him on the cereal box! :allears:

Mister Beeg
Sep 7, 2012

A Certified Jerk
Ren & Stimpy references are always welcome :allears:

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

The only way to successfully navigate this thread is to develop your scrolling skills. For example, I counted 114 comics posted in the last day or so. Luckily, I skipped over 65 of them so I didn't have to be here all day.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

- The time is almost...
- The time is almost half two
At half two:

There's no good way to translate this.

First off, kello means both "the time of day" (time in general is aika) and "a clock" or "a watch". It also means "a bell", but that's irrelevant here. Tulee means "[he/she/it] comes", and when talking about the time (kello tulee) it refers to the next significant time (usually half or sharp whatever). Kello tulee puoli kaksi therefore means "it's not half two (half past one) yet but it soon will be". Also, while there is a form that more or less corresponds with the English "at" (puoli kahdelta, "at half two"), at least in this case it's not necessary: puoli kaksi is the basic infinitive form and it works just as well.

As that was probably slightly confusing, the pun was "the clock comes at half two". Why that clock is pointing at 3:40, I have no clue.

The dialogue likely sounds a bit weird. The girl is asking what the time is in a true polite Finnish fashion :sweden:. If you want to be super polite, don't ask anything from other people directly - rather, make it known that you need something and let other people offer it to you. "Could you please pass me the salt?" is a nicely worded demand: impolite; "Could I have salt?" is a passive wish: polite. In this case, "I wonder what the time is" would have worked as well. Respecting personal space taken to an extreme.

Of course in the real world the expected levels of politeness aren't half as strict even if you were addressing the president, but that's the logic behind it.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 10, 2014

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
There's a lot of comics out there, and this thread's a great place to catch up on them. If you don't like 'em, scroll on by, or maybe try reading them, they may grow on you. How many of us were Moomin minded before this thread and how many more became converted after a few posts worth? I know I was in the latter category.

So, :justpost: and if you don't like 'em, just scroll.

At least it ain't thatababy or Marvin, or that monstrosity with the big nosed fetus.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

The only way to successfully navigate this thread is to develop your scrolling skills. For example, I counted 114 comics posted in the last day or so. Luckily, I skipped over 65 of them so I didn't have to be here all day.

If Foxy Grandpa has taught me anything, it's that people had a really loose definition of a prank 100 years ago.

That being said, I love it. :allears:

Mr. Noseybonk
Jul 17, 2012

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

At least it ain't thatababy or Marvin, or that monstrosity with the big nosed fetus.

Don't tempt me.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ham Shears

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Pakled posted:

If Foxy Grandpa has taught me anything, it's that people had a really loose definition of a prank 100 years ago.

That being said, I love it. :allears:

Gonna straight pwn some fuckers by stealing their blankets and laying them under a tree by the watering hole so I can fall asleep in the comfort of my best bro's loving embrace, poo poo's gonna be hella tight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

There's a lot of comics out there, and this thread's a great place to catch up on them. If you don't like 'em, scroll on by, or maybe try reading them, they may grow on you. How many of us were Moomin minded before this thread and how many more became converted after a few posts worth? I know I was in the latter category.

So, :justpost: and if you don't like 'em, just scroll.

You mean Oh baby?

• Locked thread