Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Please look up 5 posts, thanks. I think we should put this in the OP or something?

I was specifically talking about workarounds to get more villagers BESIDES the 3 you get daily from updating. I just assumed if there was something as convoluted but effective as that method that got him 300+ villagers, surely there's something simpler that can just net me another 10 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

300 is overkill. You can finish the village in around a week by updating data.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The 3-5 you get per day are more than enough unless you play the game 12 hours a day. The stuff you unlock in Norende besides special moves can be horribly overpowered early on.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Why am I still Blind constantly with Silver Glasses equipped? Makes me wonder how the game defines immunity.

Really sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm generally trying to avoid the thread for now. Every other post after the demo released was about how to break it in half.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

The Royal Scrub posted:

Why am I still Blind constantly with Silver Glasses equipped? Makes me wonder how the game defines immunity.

Really sorry if this is a repeat question, I'm generally trying to avoid the thread for now. Every other post after the demo released was about how to break it in half.

If you wear them after the status was applied it wont cure it. It only protects if you get affected directly by it in combat.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

FrickenMoron posted:

Please look up 5 posts, thanks. I think we should put this in the OP or something?

I vote we change the thread title to the one you suggested.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kanpachi posted:

Boss strategy spoilers! I had a lot of trouble with this guy myself, and there's probably something more optimal/broken but here goes.

Your goal is to kill one of the heads as quickly as possible to stop Blazzard. If you have Norende built up enough, you should set all your special moves to be either fire or water elemental and try to enter the battle with as many of them active as you can. If you're on hard, each head carries a stealable item that is very effective at damaging the other -- and Arctic Wind and a Bomb Crank, respectively, which hit for 2250 damage. On normal they carry weaker versions of those items but they still might be effective. Not sure. You should have a dedicated healer throwing down party Cures every turn whether you're damaged or not.

How I did it at level 18 on Hard (admittedly took a few tries for the RNG to be a little charitable):

Tiz: Thief/Freelancer w/ Mythril Bow, Ringabel: BM/WM w/ Mythril Rod+Shield, Agnes: BM/WM w/ Mythril Staff+Shield, Edea: Knight/WM w/ Mythril Sword+Shield

Entered with Ringabel, Agnes' and Edea's specials ready to fire. Normally Agnes is my white mage but I needed to exploit Black Resonance to rack up enough damage. She is still effectively the healer. All characters' specials are attuned to Water.

First turn Tiz swipes the Arctic Wind from the fire head. Agnes throws out a cautionary party Cure while the others Default.
Turn 2, Agnes throws out Rejuvenation while the rest default. (Tiz is probably already dead. Not worth reviving him yet. If he lives, he either gets to work on stealing the Bomb Crank or heals the party with Hi-Potions.)
Turn 3, Ringabel and Edea default to 3 BP. Agnes party cures.
Turn 4, Ringabel braves to four actions, pops the rod special on the fire head for ~2000 damage (if you're lucky it can crit for ~4000) + 3 Blizzards for ~400 each. Edea throws the Arctic Wind for 2250.
Turn 5, Ringabel helps with healing this turn. Edea braves up, pops Hack and Slash (remember, special buffs persist if you kick off a second special before the first expires) on the fire head and stomps thrice (~1000 total). If the RNG is kind, fire head should go limp now. If not, it's still very bloody.

The remaining head can now brave up and will 1-turn wipe you if you're not careful, but Blazzard is off the table. Strictly speaking it might be smarter to get the BM's Abate Fire support on a couple guys and kill the ice head first, but... eh. To be safe, and this probably isn't really necessary, I just had everyone default to 3 BP and went full offense (except my healer, of course) when the remaining head's BP was in the red. If you go into the second half of the fight with decent health and a little patience, you should never be in any real danger.

I fought this guy a bit ago and one shot the head with Moonbeam because I still had water attached to his move, and spent the prior turns invigorating 2x for 150% attack. The move itself also crit I think, but either way it did 5700ish damage and that was the end of that. The remaining part was cleaned up with a quad stack of spells and Maximum draw + 3 attacks on the following round.

I need to stop buffing up the shops because the gear there is getting insanely strong, so I think I'll just focus on the special move locations or maybe the accessories shop which is still level 1. I just did the Time Mage and Spell Fencer boss fight and Ringabell was able to keep everyone healed just using a Blessed Shield. I haven't even bought Cura yet. :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 9, 2014

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

If you wear them after the status was applied it wont cure it. It only protects if you get affected directly by it in combat.

That answers my question then, thanks. It must be from Blind Gas traps.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!
Is anyone playing the game on hard - is it that much of a jump in difficulty from Normal? While the first dungeon (orcs) had some enemies that were a bit tough, the second dungeon was a joke. So far loving it, but I don't want the game to be too easy.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

GRINK HELCH posted:

Is anyone playing the game on hard - is it that much of a jump in difficulty from Normal? While the first dungeon (orcs) had some enemies that were a bit tough, the second dungeon was a joke. So far loving it, but I don't want the game to be too easy.

Some bosses have 3 times the hp on hard mode. Tread with care! Normal is already pretty difficult.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So can someone tell me if it's worth investing in a Salve-Maker this class seems so bizarre that I'm giving it a shot but I'm SUPER overwhelmed by his combining ability. Am I supposed to just mash random stuff together?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

So can someone tell me if it's worth investing in a Salve-Maker this class seems so bizarre that I'm giving it a shot but I'm SUPER overwhelmed by his combining ability. Am I supposed to just mash random stuff together?

The class doubles all healing done. Not just with items, all of it. It's phenomenal just for that. The item mixing is just a bonus (protip: potion+phoenix down).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
How powerful is Salve-Maker on a scale of 1 to FF5 Chemist?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

GRINK HELCH posted:

It gets bullshit pretty fast, Ch2 is really starting to murder me Mephilia's adds are total assbutts that made me out-level the chapter because Execute just straight one shot most of my party when not defaulting every turn.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just started chapter 6. Are the sub boss fights even harder this time (i.e. more HP)?

I cleared them all in chapter 5 and felt like they all added to the plot a little. Doing them all again feels a bit choresome though.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 9, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lant posted:

It gets bullshit pretty fast, Ch2 is really starting to murder me Mephilia's adds are total assbutts that made me out-level the chapter because Execute just straight one shot most of my party when not defaulting every turn.

The Trick is to let the Caster live. She won't respawn them if at least one is alive, I think.Also, they are susceptible to Status Ailments.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Kin posted:

Just started chapter 6. Are the sub boss fights even harder this time (i.e. more HP)?

I cleared them all in chapter 5 and felt like they all added to the plot a little. Doing them all again feels a bit choresome though.

Probably want to spoilertag this!

To answer your question though, the fights are mostly the same, though some have more backstory (Barras and Holly :3:), some are just the same, but you do get the final job halfway through. Next chapter gets REALLY good with the optional fights though. Girl power!

Terper fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Feb 9, 2014

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ugh, now I Know why people are a little upset about the game when you reach Chapter 5, that's a bit of a kick in the nuts. Question though; Do I want to do the job unlock bosses over again or can I skip those? There was only one job I didn't get before, and I still have 3 to unlock.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
So is there any negative effect to having a class wear armor it doesn't have a high rank in? My White mage is in all gear she can use well, but I gave her a shield which has an E next to it which I assume means she isn't skilled with it. But when equipping it there didn't seem to be any negative effects.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Ugh, now I Know why people are a little upset about the game when you reach Chapter 5, that's a bit of a kick in the nuts. Question though; Do I want to do the job unlock bosses over again or can I skip those? There was only one job I didn't get before, and I still have 3 to unlock.

I'd recommend it, they're a nice challenge and some bosses get more backstory.

Waterfall of Salt
May 14, 2013

Ow, my eye

crazkylo posted:

So is there any negative effect to having a class wear armor it doesn't have a high rank in? My White mage is in all gear she can use well, but I gave her a shield which has an E next to it which I assume means she isn't skilled with it. But when equipping it there didn't seem to be any negative effects.
The ranks only affect the stat increases you get with that piece of armor. That's it.

The base stat of that equipment gets multiplied by
S: 2.0x
A: 1.8x
B: 1.6x
C: 1.4x
D: 1.2x
E: 1.0x
depending on your job's rank.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

crazkylo posted:

A class with a low ranking in armour won't get as much defence from heavy armour as someone with a high rank would. They're generally better off using the unranked armour, which functions as rank A for everybody regardless of class, meaning they get 1.8x the listed defence. Shields are kind of a special case though, as the ranking only affects defence, not the amount of evasion you get. Plus there aren't any unranked shields as far as I've seen, so there's no better option if you want your casters to be sturdier.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Hymirvetr posted:

The Trick is to let the Caster live. She won't respawn them if at least one is alive, I think.Also, they are susceptible to Status Ailments.

She has an Archer and a Executioner, the Ranger comes with a caster. Leave the Archer up and have everyone with confuse immunity that you can buy in town.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Waterfall of Salt posted:

The ranks only affect the stat increases you get with that piece of armor. That's it.

The base stat of that equipment gets multiplied by
S: 2.0x
A: 1.8x
B: 1.6x
C: 1.4x
D: 1.2x
E: 1.0x
depending on your job's rank.

Also, unranked armor (like robes) counts as automatic A rank for all classes.

Evil Fluffy posted:

How powerful is Salve-Maker on a scale of 1 to FF5 Chemist?

About FF5 Chemist so long as the compounds are well stocked. Stumbled upon a combination that heals you AND gives you the Double Maximum HP buff, as well as the Dark Breath attack that Qada uses and it's opposite.

Pro-tip: one of the compounds combined with Healing Lore is basically an Elixir for relatively little money late in the game.

GRINK HELCH
Oct 24, 2004
My God, it's taking over america!

Lant posted:

Thanks. Yea I'm just looking for added challenge, not really in the mood for bs. Thanks.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:
I set up a HomePass by turning my wireless card into a virtual router. I then went ahead and downloaded MacCycler. Now, do I need to run the virtual router software before starting MacCycler, or does it conflict with MacCycler? Also, is it better to use random or sequential with MacCycler?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like that you can steal a fairy wing from the Summoner.

I just took advantage of the fact that her mooks are vulnerable to Sleep.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

GRINK HELCH posted:

Thanks. Yea I'm just looking for added challenge, not really in the mood for bs. Thanks.

I've done like 80% of the game on hard, and it's just difficult compared to most JRPG's until chapter 5 and 6, which are a step back compared to what kind of curve you're used to. The curve goes up again after that. The spoilered example in your quote isn't so much bullshit as much as something you need to tactic around, which is something you come across sparsely later on.

Hard is for people who want a lot of challenge and appreciate having to work things out. If you want some challenge but not loads, consider gimping yourself on Normal mode.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Lant posted:

She has an Archer and a Executioner, the Ranger comes with a caster. Leave the Archer up and have everyone with confuse immunity that you can buy in town.

Right, mixed it up, thanks for clarifying.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

FrickenMoron posted:

Hey. You. Check your PMs!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm sort of annoyed with this game now. Minor Chapter 5 spoilers

I waited until Chapter 5 before I started to do the Vampire sidequest because I was struggling a bit with the regular stuff and didn't feel up to taking on a superboss with even more HP right away. Now I'm apparently locked out of a ton of good Genome abilities unless I do an optional dungeon that I can't access for several more chapters.

Ughhhhhh.

Incidently I love how customizable this game is and how it supports a variety of playstyles. Right now I'm running with Tiz as Dark Knight/Sword Magic, Agnes as Black Mage/Medication, Ringabel as Templar/White Mage and Edea as Ninja/Piracy. I'm thinking of switching Edea to get the Medication secondary, putting Piracy on Tiz and making Agnes an Arcanist/Black Magic, mostly to get the hilariously broken medication on someone who actually goes before bosses. But I really wanna keep my debuffs, and I'd hate to lose the hilarity that is a Ninja with Multitask.

Argggh. I also want to work Vampire in here somewhere, but I have no idea where.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Zore posted:

I'm sort of annoyed with this game now. Minor Chapter 5 spoilers

I waited until Chapter 5 before I started to do the Vampire sidequest because I was struggling a bit with the regular stuff and didn't feel up to taking on a superboss with even more HP right away. Now I'm apparently locked out of a ton of good Genome abilities unless I do an optional dungeon that I can't access for several more chapters.

Ughhhhhh.

Incidently I love how customizable this game is and how it supports a variety of playstyles. Right now I'm running with Tiz as Dark Knight/Sword Magic, Agnes as Black Mage/Medication, Ringabel as Templar/White Mage and Edea as Ninja/Piracy. I'm thinking of switching Edea to get the Medication secondary, putting Piracy on Tiz and making Agnes an Arcanist/Black Magic, mostly to get the hilariously broken medication on someone who actually goes before bosses. But I really wanna keep my debuffs, and I'd hate to lose the hilarity that is a Ninja with Multitask.

Argggh. I also want to work Vampire in here somewhere, but I have no idea where.

If you break a crystal by continuing to mash X, you can get to that dungeon in that version of the final chapter, iirc

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Are there any point of no return moments? Like any jobs I should absolutely unlock before I get to a certain point? What happens when I beat the main storyline?

bennyfranks
Jun 23, 2005

IGNORE ME!

I said come in! posted:

Are there any point of no return moments? Like any jobs I should absolutely unlock before I get to a certain point? What happens when I beat the main storyline?

I haven't finished, but apparently certain sidequests are missable in that "iteration" so to speak, because Things Might Have Happened since that make their story not make sense, but you can always get the jobs through another version of the sidequest.

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

I said come in! posted:

There are some sidequests that are missable but you're told when you reach the point of no return. You can't lock yourself out of getting any jobs though. You may want to unlock the Vampire class before the first point of no return as, otherwise, you won't be able get some of its abilities until the final chapter.

If you save after completing an ending you'll be placed back in a position when you can try for any other ending. There's also a New Game+ if you complete the true ending.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bennyfranks posted:

I haven't finished, but apparently certain sidequests are missable in that "iteration" so to speak, because Things Might Have Happened since that make their story not make sense, but you can always get the jobs through another version of the sidequest.

Pretty much exactly this.

It's pretty obvious when these "iterations" end and begin as well. Don't sweat it too much.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Thanks guys! I'm glad the game is pretty reasonable in that regard.

Where are you all grinding? There is a small island in the upper right hand of the map that i've been using, it gives a lot of money and exp, but Job experience not so much, but that's probably true of any part of the game.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

So I have Edea as a knight and she does absolutely fuckall damage. I have Ringabel as a thief and he's doing 600+ damage per round with a bow while Edea is doing like 70. Everytime I optimize her it gives her her default starting sword. What gives?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Pierson posted:

You need to wander around the ocean and go into a foggy patch on the surface. Just turn random encounters off and drive around 'till you find it.

If I sailed into it once and declined to go in the first time, how long do I have to wait until a second chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Comrade Flynn posted:

So I have Edea as a knight and she does absolutely fuckall damage. I have Ringabel as a thief and he's doing 600+ damage per round with a bow while Edea is doing like 70. Everytime I optimize her it gives her her default starting sword. What gives?

Edea two-handing a Mythril Sword (or any sword, really) has been my highest damage dealer pretty consistently. I'd give her a sword she has an S rank in (if I recall, she only has a D with her starting sword.)

• Locked thread