Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

So a C-5 lost pressurization today over the Atlantic, ended up landing at Westover ARB outside of Springfield, MA

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2014/02/08/crews-stage-at-hanscom-air-force-base-for-emergency-involving-plane/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That sort of thing happens more often than you'd think. Fair chance they would have landed at Dover if they didn't have passengers. It certainly wouldn't have made the news.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Slo-Tek posted:

At some point some bright boys at the Pentagon also compelled the Navy to take part in the LWF competition, with an eye toward yet another joint-service purchase. So there were designs for an F-16N.

The proposed naval F-16 wasn't the F-16N (that was actually a hot-rod lightweight F-16A with a growth engine from a -C), nor was it to be made by General Dynamics. Vought was to be the prime contractor on the naval F-16, with their V-1600 variant.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
To expand on the Navy's desire for twin-engine aircraft for over-water safety, I've often wondered why bush planes are (in places like Alaska, at least) almost always singles. I've done some half-assed Internet research and only come up with quips like "A second engine only gets you to the scene of the crash faster". My belief is that it's really just initial, operation, and maintenance costs and maybe getting in and out of tighter places. Does anyone have a definitive reason why the ubiquitous bush plane on wheels, skis, or floats, is generally going to be a piston single?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

hogmartin posted:

To expand on the Navy's desire for twin-engine aircraft for over-water safety, I've often wondered why bush planes are (in places like Alaska, at least) almost always singles. I've done some half-assed Internet research and only come up with quips like "A second engine only gets you to the scene of the crash faster". My belief is that it's really just initial, operation, and maintenance costs and maybe getting in and out of tighter places. Does anyone have a definitive reason why the ubiquitous bush plane on wheels, skis, or floats, is generally going to be a piston single?

Weight, complexity, cost, maintenance. It's not like most bush flights are operated on a huge budget or anything. The lighter the plane the more places it can land/take off from, as well.

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009

hogmartin posted:

T Does anyone have a definitive reason why the ubiquitous bush plane on wheels, skis, or floats, is generally going to be a piston single?

Basically exactly the reasons above, good stol performance is mostly about weight, and adding a second engine tends to bring in a lot of extra size and cost.

However some people are trying. Meet the unfortunately named Double ender http://www.bushplanedesign.com/

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Colonel K posted:

Basically exactly the reasons above, good stol performance is mostly about weight, and adding a second engine tends to bring in a lot of extra size and cost.

However some people are trying. Meet the unfortunately named Double ender http://www.bushplanedesign.com/

Looks about right.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Interesting design with the tractor/pusher orientation of the engines on top of the wing

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrChips posted:

plus it had virtually no air-to-ground capability (which we needed just as much as an interceptor).

This fact is hilarious now given how long the CF let the CF-18's air to ground capability atrophy.

Slo-Tek posted:

The F-18 had a number of shortcomings for the Navy, and McDonnell re-re-designed it as the F-18(EFG) which has pretty much no parts in common with the previous F-18, but congress was more apt to let go of the purse strings for an upgrade than for a new model

As proof that poo poo comes full circle, the Super Bug is roughly the size of an F-15.

Godholio posted:

That sort of thing happens more often than you'd think. Fair chance they would have landed at Dover if they didn't have passengers. It certainly wouldn't have made the news.

Especially with FRED.

A Melted Tarp
Nov 12, 2013

At the date

FullMetalJacket posted:

Interesting design with the tractor/pusher orientation of the engines on top of the wing

Cessna did a tractor/pusher model called the Skymaster, which was a really lousy aircraft. All the expense and complexity of a twin, and it wasn't all that much quicker than a 172. Also the rear engine likes to overheat and quit during taxi, so that when you take off it fails to climb and you slam into whatever is at the end of the runway.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
That's why you're supposed to advance the rear engine's throttle first. The mixmaster was also available pressurized, which is somewhat unique for a little high wing like that.

While we're at "weird facts" section of our day. The F-16 is only unstable below mach. Over mach, the CoL moves rearward, far enough that the plane becomes positively stable. If your computer dies, you get to land at mach ;-)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Nebakenezzer posted:

Okay my fellow airplane nerds, a question. How often in WW2 did powers use initial aircraft prototypes in combat roles? Because if you are the Third Reich, the answer is "a lot." I'm just wondering if this is a WW2 thing generally.
The US combat tested a lot of prototype UAVs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
Fun F-16 / SHSC crossover fact: it was the first use of MIL-STD-1553, which has since been used as a digital communications backbone in all kinds of military vehicles (not just aircraft, it's used in tanks and APCs among other things).

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

thesurlyspringKAA posted:

CHINESE OSINT SPOTTED

Oh no, they are on to me :tinfoil:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

grover posted:

The US combat tested a lot of prototype UAVs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

No, we didn't. I'd love to hear what "a lot" you're thinking of.
Using something in combat for the first time is not the same thing as using a prototype.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

iyaayas01 posted:

Especially with FRED.
Aircraft nicknames amuse me, particularly those given by ground crew. Today I learned that the B-1 is sometimes nicknamed the "Hawk" (Holiday And Weekend Killer), and the C-17 is sometimes known as "Barney" (FRED's fat little friend that gets all the attention) or "The Moose" (apparently it makes weird noises during refueling).

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

A Melted Tarp posted:

Cessna did a tractor/pusher model called the Skymaster, which was a really lousy aircraft. All the expense and complexity of a twin, and it wasn't all that much quicker than a 172. Also the rear engine likes to overheat and quit during taxi, so that when you take off it fails to climb and you slam into whatever is at the end of the runway.

Yes, I immediately thought of the O2A Variant used as a FAC.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Dead Reckoning posted:

No, we didn't. I'd love to hear what "a lot" you're thinking of.
Using something in combat for the first time is not the same thing as using a prototype.
"A lot" as in %-wise of the UAVs developed during that time period. The Global Hawk is the most public example; DARPA bought the thing and threw it right into afghanistan. IIRC, they just flew the gently caress out of all the prototypes until they failed, usually about the time the next was ready, and then flew that and kept going.

In WWII, I think US ended up using all the initial YB-17s in combat in the pacific, too; the YB-17s were pretty lovely bombers (the B-17 didn't start to get good until the B-17E and F models), but 1941/1942 was a really desperate time for the US. The B-17 was originally envisioned as an anti-naval weapon, and the US was desperately short of aircraft everywhere the Japanese were attacking, so, the prototypes were thrown into combat along with the handful of early production models that had been built, largely as individual "precision" bombers, and were nearly completely ineffective. The mass bombing tactics that were so effective later in the war had not yet been developed, and US didn't have the numbers yet anyhow.

grover fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 9, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I guess when you're flying over brown people airspace it doesn't matter if the things fall out of the sky. It makes sense why the armed forces would be fielding prototype UAVs in Afghanistan.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

grover posted:

"A lot" as in %-wise of the UAVs developed during that time period. The Global Hawk is the most public example; DARPA bought the thing and threw it right into afghanistan. IIRC, they just flew the gently caress out of all the prototypes until they failed, usually about the time the next was ready, and then flew that and kept going.
One example is not "a lot." Also, if you're going by that metric, every war since Kosovo has been fought by "prototype" aircraft, since every B-2 airframe built has been upgraded to combat capability. The idea of something that's been flying since 1998 (Global Hawk) and been through several upgrades being a "prototype" is pretty questionable, especially when you're talking about aircraft with low production numbers and spiral development. At best, it's very different from the untried technology demonstrator the word implies.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Beast of Kandahar is another pretty good example, but it was almost two years old when the first one was spotted in Afghanistan.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

A Melted Tarp posted:

I've heard bad things but man I'd still like to give the Cessna Suck and Blow a try.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

VikingSkull posted:

The Beast of Kandahar is another pretty good example, but it was almost two years old when the first one was spotted in Afghanistan.
Not a lot of public information about the CIA programs, but it certainly does appear that a lot of them were one-off prototypes thrown right into the fray to fill an urgent operational requirement. The whole "I NEED THIS CAPABILITY, AND I NEED IT loving YESTERDAY!" thing, accompanyed by handing a giant bag truck of money to a contractor.

Dead Reckoning posted:

One example is not "a lot." Also, if you're going by that metric, every war since Kosovo has been fought by "prototype" aircraft, since every B-2 airframe built has been upgraded to combat capability. The idea of something that's been flying since 1998 (Global Hawk) and been through several upgrades being a "prototype" is pretty questionable, especially when you're talking about aircraft with low production numbers and spiral development. At best, it's very different from the untried technology demonstrator the word implies.
In this case, they actually were Global Hawk prototypes, though; was still super early in testing when it was combat deployed. Some really interesting articles out about the Global Hawk's first deployment- including it's fully autonomous flight across the pacific- conducted en route to afghanistan. It was also the first really long-range test that had been done on it, and there was serious concern about whether it would actually make it.

wikipedia posted:

The first seven aircraft were built under the Advanced Concept Technology Demonstration (ACTD) program, sponsored by DARPA, in order to evaluate the design and demonstrate its capabilities. Demand for the RQ-4's abilities was high in the Middle East; thus, the prototype aircraft were actively operated by the U.S. Air Force in the War in Afghanistan.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Feb 9, 2014

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

Shavnir posted:

I've heard bad things but man I'd still like to give the Cessna Suck and Blow a try.

I think they're pretty nifty. They have a greater useful load than a Seneca and the turbocharged/pressurized versions are at least as fast.

And then Riley came along, stuffed a pair of TSIO-520's in it and made the Super Skyrocket.

ehnus fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Feb 9, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Helter Skelter posted:

Aircraft nicknames amuse me, particularly those given by ground crew. Today I learned that the B-1 is sometimes nicknamed the "Hawk" (Holiday And Weekend Killer), and the C-17 is sometimes known as "Barney" (FRED's fat little friend that gets all the attention) or "The Moose" (apparently it makes weird noises during refueling).

HAWK isn't just given to the Bone...the Global Chicken has that, as do a few others.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

ehnus posted:

I think they're pretty nifty. They have a greater useful load than a Seneca and the turbocharged/pressurized versions are at least as fast.

And then Riley came along, stuffed a pair of TSIO-520's in it and made the Super Skyrocket.

I kinda want to stuff a pair of PT6As into one

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Kilonum posted:

I believe there were a few turbine 337's made, this one has a PT6 stuffed into the rear hole and a smooth nose cone.

Two PT6's would make for a hell of a ride for the half hour before it ran out of fuel.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
According to the wikipedia entry on the Skymaster, two Cuban exiles on a mission to drop supplies to refugees in rafts were killed in one by a Cuban MiG-29 in 1996. So if anyone was wondering if a US-registered GA plane was killed by Cuban MiGs in the last few years of the 20th century, the answer is apparently a surprising yes. I did not know that.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Wouldn't a plane with a pusher prop be a terrible system for dropping poo poo out of?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

This fact is hilarious now given how long the CF let the CF-18's air to ground capability atrophy.

Even with the current upgrades, our CF-18s aren't even as capable as your average C/D model. Also, this was about the extent of the CF-18s air-to-ground capablity for 20 years:

Looks badass, but it isn't very useful at all.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Which would you rather fly or work on: a piper Navajo or the skymaster?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

MrChips posted:

The proposed naval F-16 wasn't the F-16N (that was actually a hot-rod lightweight F-16A with a growth engine from a -C), nor was it to be made by General Dynamics. Vought was to be the prime contractor on the naval F-16, with their V-1600 variant.

That's really interesting, I did not know that.

Did they ever build one?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FullMetalJacket posted:

Which would you rather fly or work on: a piper Navajo or the skymaster?

Not a fan of either honestly, but probably the Joe.

slidebite posted:

That's really interesting, I did not know that.

Did they ever build one?

Nope. Put simply, the Navy suffered from a serious case of "We don't know what we want, but we know what we DON'T want" in the VFAX program, and the 1600 was pretty much what they didn't want. It's also one of the reasons why the YF-17 grew so much as it became the F-18. The Vought 1600 also changed so much that it was only superficially an F-16 variant by the final 1602 version.

A couple more pictures from the Vought Archives:

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

MrChips posted:

Not a fan of either honestly, but probably the Joe.

Nope. Put simply, the Navy suffered from a serious case of "We don't know what we want, but we know what we DON'T want" in the VFAX program, and the 1600 was pretty much what they didn't want. It's also one of the reasons why the YF-17 grew so much as it became the F-18. The Vought 1600 also changed so much that it was only superficially an F-16 variant by the final 1602 version.

Reminds me of a quote from "Skunk Works"

"Starve before doing business with the damned Navy. They don't know what the hell they want and will drive you up a wall before they break either your heart or a more exposed part of your anatomy."

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Kilonum posted:

"Let's stick a turboprop on (insert GA type here)" is a game I'd love to play if I were rich. I don't think I've seen a turbo Cessna 172 yet, though there are plenty of Bonanza conversions floating around

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Beech-A36TP-Propjet/2162052/L/&sid=a8c9d08b9236feaf757d0f281f5f1ddd

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Beech-A36TP-Propjet/1567740/L/&sid=a8c9d08b9236feaf757d0f281f5f1ddd

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-T210M-Turbo/1592243/L/&sid=b1a06def36d91fb118f607769a6ee8ee

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Beech-A36TP-Propjet/1371475/L/&sid=31b950ec62a8fd909c24f349f9e24d0b

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-210N-Centurion/1447615/L/&sid=b1a06def36d91fb118f607769a6ee8ee

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
4th link is seeeeexy in silver.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

"Let's stick a turboprop on (insert GA type here)" is a game I'd love to play if I were rich. I don't think I've seen a turbo Cessna 172 yet, though there are plenty of Bonanza conversions floating around

No 172, but how about a 185?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cross post from the Aviation thread, because I know there are more people here that aren't already in the field in some way:

fknlo posted:

Hey folks, APPLY TO BE AN AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLER HERE. Seriously, go do this. If you don't you're literally retarded.

Literally retarded would be an understatement.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I get it's a training program and the entry requirements seem low (like no degree), but can anyone in your country live on 20k a year? Would you try and flip burgers after a day of what I would assume is pretty intense school?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

MrYenko posted:

Cross post from the Aviation thread, because I know there are more people here that aren't already in the field in some way:

Literally retarded would be an understatement.

Or literally old, or literally unable to hold an airman's class II medical.

Tony Montana posted:

I get it's a training program and the entry requirements seem low (like no degree), but can anyone in your country live on 20k a year? Would you try and flip burgers after a day of what I would assume is pretty intense school?

That's pay for attending the FAA's academy in OKC. It's supplemented by per diem as well. Here's my post from the A/T thread:

The Ferret King posted:

Correct, that's just the basic pay for attending the academy after getting hired (you get a per diem too which pads out the compensation a fair amount). Above are the the paybands for 2012. Facility level depends on the complexity and traffic volume of the facility. More traffic/more complexity = more pay usually. For the purposes of new hires, the bottom of each pay band is what you'll earn. The D-grades are what you get during your training at the facility itself. CPC is Certified Professional Controller, you earn the bottom of that pay band after completely certifying.

These pay bands are shown without "locality," which is a sort of cost of living adjustment. Nationally it ranges from 14% to 28% or something like that.

Good luck guys, it's a great job.