Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0W95Rgs0EI

yeah there we are, it looks ok in the picture but kinda gross in the video. also, spruce/maple acoustics are way too bright sounding, and, lol, $7500 for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

I'm on the fence. I bet it looks better in person though. It sounds better in that video, than I would have expected. Still wouldn't pay 7 grand for it.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWTiXQ4KV8g

Jesus look at this abortion of an instrument however

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

HollisBrown posted:

Sounds p good tho.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

White Dog Eggs posted:

Eh, I kind of like this. Fretboard is a bit silly though.

it's mostly for stretches which are unnecessary on the lower strings, they're mostly there for emphasis but i think partial overhangs are dumb

7 grand is way too much

HollisBrown posted:

4 mics by god (sounds pretty good but ugh)

e: that parlor guitar is all treble, jeez

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

fyodor posted:

Sounds p good tho.

Yeah, that dude playing all those guitars can fuckin rip too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

HollisBrown posted:

I'm on the fence. I bet it looks better in person though. It sounds better in that video, than I would have expected. Still wouldn't pay 7 grand for it.

That's my stance on it, looks nice, no way I'd ever buy it.

HollisBrown posted:

Seriously, holy poo poo. Dude owns.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Declan MacManus posted:

e: that parlor guitar is all treble, jeez

No poo poo, it's an all maple, small bodied guitar, there's no way it's not going to sound bright as the loving son.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

HollisBrown posted:

No poo poo, it's an all maple, small bodied guitar, there's no way it's not going to sound bright as the loving son.

it'd probably sit well in a mix but man

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

HollisBrown posted:

That guy's like the Bob Ross of guitar demonstrations. By which I mean he's cool as hell and I could watch him play happy little guitars all day.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Certainly I was exaggerating earlier, but...

comes along bort posted:

looks like it was made with a 3d printer

... sums up my true sentiment. I guess the acoustic / classical world doesn't go as bananas as the electrics, and this instrument takes it as far from the norm without losing its identity as a "parlor acoustic." I get that brown-on-brown can get dull, but it's funny how off-putting the variations can be (especially in the Brett Michaels direction). To me, at least.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

White Dog Eggs posted:

Fun fact: Calling an red SG "Candy Apple Red" will make Gibson fan-boys poo poo out a kidney in rage.

Well, yeah, they are two completely different colors. CAR is metallic and Gibson's red is just a red stained lacquer.

Anyway, the Gibson reverse explorer is pretty drat ugly:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Side Effects posted:

If they put a normal headstock(or even a reverse Explorer one) on it, and a much smaller pickguard, it wouldn't look that bad.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Side Effects posted:

Well, yeah, they are two completely different colors. CAR is metallic and Gibson's red is just a red stained lacquer.

a bad idea executed poorly

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

For all your Princely needs:

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

CSM posted:

You know good times are ahead when you start a band and the bass player shows up with one of these:

I bought this beast from a guy on Craigslist last year.

The strings are standard strings, fed from the top of the neck to standard tuners on the body. Given the scale of the thing, I think it has a standard 6 string guitar neck on it. The neck and body almost appear to be one piece, since there's a really heavy coat of black lacquer over the whole thing that is hiding the seams if there are any.

I'm guessing that it was built from a kit or something. The electronics are all point-to-point wired on the inside, obviously put together by someone who knew how to solder. The only name on it is Schafer, which I've never heard of and can't find any info about.

I'm putting some serious thought into turning it into a tenor guitar.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
the fact that Steinbergers were popular enough to have cheap knockoffs boggles my mind.

what does the toggle do?

Radio Help fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Feb 8, 2014

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The first time my young mind saw David Bowie on tv he was playing a Steinberger and I thought how the gently caress could THAT guy supposedly be so cool?!

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

Side Effects posted:

seriously contemplated getting this and flipping it over for a while, it actually looks moderately okay except for that terrible headstock

oh and also the pickguard is hideous so it's not really a great idea, but good luck finding a lefty explorer anywhere else

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Side Effects posted:

It looks like it was designed to sell more matching Ace Frehley lightning bolt guitar straps.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Valtaherra posted:

seriously contemplated getting this and flipping it over for a while, it actually looks moderately okay except for that terrible headstock

oh and also the pickguard is hideous so it's not really a great idea, but good luck finding a lefty explorer anywhere else

http://www.gaskellguitars.com/models/68.html

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I've kinda secretly wanted one of these for years, no idea why.

Valtaherra
Feb 23, 2007

It's a personal pineapple

Yeah, that's like the only one, and it costs like 200+ dollars to ship one from Australia, and I don't really know what the quality is. Plus, it's apparently smaller than a standard Explorer, which irks me

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Thumposaurus posted:

Is the middle part adjustable? If so that's pretty cool.

Valtaherra posted:

Yeah, that's like the only one, and it costs like 200+ dollars to ship one from Australia, and I don't really know what the quality is. Plus, it's apparently smaller than a standard Explorer, which irks me

See if you can find someone to make you one, explorers use a lot of wood but they are piss-easy to make. The original body shape is kind of rubbish though, the balance is terrible.

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

Thumposaurus posted:

Dave from Canada set one of those up and made a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pH1G9Ot85c

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah the little knob loosens up and you can slide the pickup part back and forth to change the tone.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

BigHustle posted:

Dave from Canada set one of those up and made a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pH1G9Ot85c

That adjustable pickup is awesome. I kind of want one.

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
sort of limits your right hand placement for fingerstyle, tho.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Radio Help posted:

sort of limits your right hand placement for fingerstyle, tho.

Yea, it's kind of a dumb design but it's a novel idea, when I get some free time (and a non-waterlogged workshop), I might have to make something similar.

JACK_ATTACK
Jul 26, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

That guy's like the Bob Ross of guitar demonstrations. By which I mean he's cool as hell and I could watch him play happy little guitars all day.

I was looking through his other videos and found a whole series of hideous guitars.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

White Dog Eggs posted:

That adjustable pickup is awesome. I kind of want one.

I played a Gibson Grabber for a while, and then that pickup took a huge poo poo. I had a 72 P-Bass at the time but it needed a setup in the worst way, and back in those days it was like 25 bucks, setup, frets dressed, cleaned up, not counting new strings of course.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Harry in Rio posted:

I played a Gibson Grabber for a while, and then that pickup took a huge poo poo. I had a 72 P-Bass at the time but it needed a setup in the worst way, and back in those days it was like 25 bucks, setup, frets dressed, cleaned up, not counting new strings of course.

Three bassists I really like all use the Grabber (Jesse Keeler, Nathan Latona, Tim Ward)

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I dunno, Gibson Grabber/Ripper basses feel kinda weird to me (maybe I've just never played one that was properly set up), and the body proportions are seem just a little bit off: too bulbous on the bottom, the horns are too small, weird headstock, weird pick guard. they sound cool, though

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
Got this in trade off of craigslist yesterday - it's not ugly, not by a long shot. It's a Schaller Archtop with a Roger floating pickup.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Harry in Rio posted:

Got this in trade off of craigslist yesterday - it's not ugly, not by a long shot. It's a Schaller Archtop with a Roger floating pickup.

Play all the jazz.
That's a cool guitar.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks to this dumb thread I think I'm going to buy a guitar and I haven't even played in ten years. :wtc:

Even though I don't like Dinosaur Jr I think the J Mascis Squier is going to be the one

with that cream and gold I'm sure it belongs in here

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
those j mascis squires are really nice but the funniest thing to me is that he plays with the highest action i've ever seen

Radio Help
Mar 22, 2007

ChipChip? 
I guess that helps when you're running six Big Muffs at once?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Spanish Manlove posted:

those j mascis squires are really nice but the funniest thing to me is that he plays with the highest action i've ever seen

yeah seriously, check out 5:50 in this completely personality free rundown of his gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52-IFMXI60

edit- how do you embed videos that start at a specified point? I always mess that up.

Snowy fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Snowy posted:

yeah seriously, check out 5:50 in this completely personality free rundown of his gear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m52-IFMXI60

ahahahah yeah m,an I saw that the other day and i thought "drat, jona freidlander is biting this steez hard" and was really jealous over his board and amps. then linked it to my friend who subsequently came in his pants

• Locked thread