Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
There's a backlog of 45000 mainland Chinese millionaires trying to move to vancouver.

http://m.scmp.com/news/world/article/1423370/exclusive-vancouver-facing-influx-45000-more-rich-chinese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Bc employment looks to be improving.
http://housing-analysis.blogspot.com/2014/02/bc-employment-january-2014.html?spref=tw&m=1

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Cultural Imperial posted:

There's a backlog of 45000 mainland Chinese millionaires trying to move to vancouver.

http://m.scmp.com/news/world/article/1423370/exclusive-vancouver-facing-influx-45000-more-rich-chinese

Holy christ - maybe the realtors are right about the permanence of Vancouver's ultra expense.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

I actually don't understand why they haven't just raised the price tag. It's basically pay-for-citizenship as is, and the majority of these 'investors' don't actually generate any taxable income in Canada. So instead of loaning the government $800k interest-free, make them pay the government at least a flat, non-refundable $2m plus $500k for each family member that gets sponsored through the program (with additional penalties for age). There are obvious externalities generated by the existing policy so at least this would recover most of them.

If there are really forty-five thousand people applying then this will almost certainly destroy a lot of the demand while still including enough of the top end to generate a decent amount of income.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Vancouver, the Cayman Islands for rich Chinese nationals?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Calling it now - this SCMP story will end up tracing back to Mr Yellow Helicopter himself.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

etalian posted:

Vancouver, the Cayman Islands for rich Chinese nationals?

It seems like it, BC is just a provincial sized money laundering scheme.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Lexicon posted:

Calling it now - this SCMP story will end up tracing back to Mr Yellow Helicopter himself.

Really? Not Mr Fake Asian Sisters Buying RE?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Ardennes posted:

It seems like it, BC is just a provincial sized money laundering scheme.

I guess it makes sense now why Vancouver got the first Bitcoin vending machine.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Really? Not Mr Fake Asian Sisters Buying RE?

Fair point. Could be him too. Perhaps even a 'strategic partnership' between their firms - common aims and so on.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Some google exec is selling his hovel next door to Tim Cook's.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/live-next-to-apples-ceo-for-just-2-8-million-1518290113

kind of a dump if you ask me but they don't live in the best place on earth do they

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Some google exec is selling his hovel next door to Tim Cook's.

http://valleywag.gawker.com/live-next-to-apples-ceo-for-just-2-8-million-1518290113

kind of a dump if you ask me but they don't live in the best place on earth do they

Palo Alto is every bit as expensive as Vancouver housing-wise (and rents are way more than Vancouver). That's actually an awesome house, assuming that it's a really nice neighborhood I'd expect that it goes well over asking, in cash.

e: there's apparently two houses mashed onto that lot so maybe not. Still, I spent a month in Palo Alto this summer in a property that has a Zillow estimate of nearly 5 million (was a friend of a friend deal) and it wasn't anywhere near as nice as that house -- but the lot was huge.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Feb 9, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

blah_blah posted:

Palo Alto is every bit as expensive as Vancouver housing-wise (and rents are way more than Vancouver). That's actually an awesome house, assuming that it's a really nice neighborhood I'd expect that it goes well over asking, in cash.

e: there's apparently two houses mashed onto that lot so maybe not. Still, I spent a month in Palo Alto this summer in a property that has a Zillow estimate of nearly 5 million (was a friend of a friend deal) and it wasn't anywhere near as nice as that house -- but the lot was huge.

The Bay Area is pretty much overpriced as a rule of thumb for both rents and home ownership.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

etalian posted:

The Bay Area is pretty much overpriced as a rule of thumb for both rents and home ownership.

I would argue that the Bay Area is a paragon of normal market operation (given local incomes, population growth, etc) compared to Vancouver.

Many of these Palo Alto homes seem cheap by Vancouver prices.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

The maritimes are great if you like incest and dimwits

And unemployment.

The thing to keep in mind about the Maritimes is the lack of well-paying employment. There are no good jobs unless you happen to have some kind of professional certification - something they can't just hire their friends for - in which case you'll just be woefully underpaid compared to everyone else in Canada. You can always tell who went to KES or the schools with "connections" though - they'll usually be a "Senior" despite having 5 years experience and really not being that good at anything. "Lower cost of living" doesn't mean poo poo when you're making ~1/2 of what you could in another province.

Oh and by the way, your taxes jump to 15% past 30,000 (and past say 40k I think you actually would pay less taxes in Quebec than out here).

Arabidopsis
Apr 25, 2007
A model organism

Isentropy posted:

And unemployment.

The thing to keep in mind about the Maritimes is the lack of well-paying employment. There are no good jobs unless you happen to have some kind of professional certification - something they can't just hire their friends for - in which case you'll just be woefully underpaid compared to everyone else in Canada. You can always tell who went to KES or the schools with "connections" though - they'll usually be a "Senior" despite having 5 years experience and really not being that good at anything. "Lower cost of living" doesn't mean poo poo when you're making ~1/2 of what you could in another province.

Oh and by the way, your taxes jump to 15% past 30,000 (and past say 40k I think you actually would pay less taxes in Quebec than out here).

I don't think this is true of NL though. St. John's is a bit of a boom town right now across many fields. Coming from Vancouver it's amazing to see how much more sensible a lot of things are here.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004

Arabidopsis posted:

I don't think this is true of NL though. St. John's is a bit of a boom town right now across many fields. Coming from Vancouver it's amazing to see how much more sensible a lot of things are here.

He was talking about the Maritimes though. ;)

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Isentropy posted:

I don't think you fully appreciate how much we get hosed in Quebec for income taxes. You start paying 20% above $41k, and then 24% to $82k, and then finally 25.75% above $100k. The highest rate in the Maritimes is in Nova Scotia where the highest bracket is 21% and only kicks in above $150k. Not that it invalidates the rest of your post - the only reason I'm not dreading moving back to PEI from Montreal is because I'll still be getting paid my Montreal salary, but paying PEI taxes and living costs.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

mik posted:

I don't think you fully appreciate how much we get hosed in Quebec for income taxes. You start paying 20% above $41k, and then 24% to $82k, and then finally 25.75% above $100k. The highest rate in the Maritimes is in Nova Scotia where the highest bracket is 21% and only kicks in above $150k. Not that it invalidates the rest of your post - the only reason I'm not dreading moving back to PEI from Montreal is because I'll still be getting paid my Montreal salary, but paying PEI taxes and living costs.

Yeah it's been a while since I lived there :( that's far and away the worst rate in Canada, but you do seem to get some societal benefit from it. NS has basically replaced their personal welfare state with a corporate welfare state (we have a history of massive handouts to corporations that weren't really sustainable, and of giving money to people like the Irvings who reallly don't need any)

Icemakor
Sep 11, 2000

Isentropy posted:

And unemployment.
The guy I replied to was talking about retirement plans. I would never move to the maritimes looking for work.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Check out @BenRabidoux's Tweet: https://twitter.com/BenRabidoux/status/432963870886342656

Montreal has more condos for sale than Toronto, of all property types.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I suppose that since Toronto is building more towers than anywhere on the planet right now, the bulk of those units just aren't available on the market yet?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Rime posted:

I suppose that since Toronto is building more towers than anywhere on the planet right now, the bulk of those units just aren't available on the market yet?

Is this actually true? Last time I was in Hong Kong there was an absolutely retarded number of units going up.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
There's nearly 200 towers currently under construction in Toronto.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I'm not sure I've picked up on what the housing bubble popping would mean for future renters. Should I expect rent to go down and posh apartments to open up? Will it do nothing while people try to recoup their losses?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kafka Esq. posted:

I'm not sure I've picked up on what the housing bubble popping would mean for future renters. Should I expect rent to go down and posh apartments to open up? Will it do nothing while people try to recoup their losses?

We don't know. Rent might even go up if enough people collectively poo poo themselves over condos as an asset class.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
My guess, a popping housing bubble means migrant labour goes home. City populations decrease. Rents might go down.

E: Here's why, a crazy amount of our economy is dedicated to construction. Second, same thing happened in London and the US immediately after housing tanked and kicked off the great recession.

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 10, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

My guess, a popping housing bubble means migrant labour goes home. City populations decrease. Rents might go down.

E: Here's why, a crazy amount of our economy is dedicated to construction. Second, same thing happened in London and the US immediately after housing tanked and kicked off the great recession.

That's not what happened in London at all (data from our office of national statistics):

That said, I don't think you can infer much about other countries' housing markets from the UK (and vice-versa) because we have an unusual attitude to housebuilding - whereas other countries build like crazy during booms, we use planning laws to prevent new building and go in for land value speculation instead. :britain:

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 11, 2014

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Lexicon posted:

Holy christ - maybe the realtors are right about the permanence of Vancouver's ultra expense.

Maybe not so much. Cross-posted from the CanPol Megathread:

Franks Happy Place posted:

So here's some budget nuggets that pretty much everyone in this thread can actually be happy about (rare, I know!):

-They are eliminating "investor class" visas, as the data shows the program has largely been a failure (other classes of immigrants who don't just buy their way into Canada end up paying back much more in taxes). Of course this measure will also put more downward pressure on real estate, especially in Vancouver and Toronto, but that's a necessary evil.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Maybe not so much. Cross-posted from the CanPol Megathread:

Here's the relevant quote from the Globe and Mail:

quote:

A source said the government is acting based on data that show that, 20 years after arriving in Canada, an immigrant investor has paid about $200,000 less in taxes than a newcomer who came in under the federal skilled worker program, and almost $100,000 less than one who was a live-in caregiver.

In the past 28 years, more than 130,000 people have come to Canada under the investor program, including applicants and their families.

120,000 across Canada in 28 years isn't remotely enough to goose Vancouver real estate the way it has. More proof it's just a B.S. bubble.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Franks Happy Place posted:

Here's the relevant quote from the Globe and Mail:

120,000 across Canada in 28 years isn't remotely enough to goose Vancouver real estate the way it has. More proof it's just a B.S. bubble.

Not necessarily. There's lots of money that comes here to buy houses without going to the trouble of immigrating. House-buying tours are still a thing:
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/h...?service=mobile

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

We only really know one thing for certain: the median Vancouver property is nowhere remotely close to affordable on the median Vancouver household income. Not even close. Multiple hypotheses, likely all true to some degree, flow from that fact.

edit: Vancouver's almost too zany to warrant mentioning in this thread. It's one thing that the noble citizens of Barrie or Victoria have borrowed up to the eyeballs to afford their POS 50s cardboard bung; quite another when you're talking about the 2nd least affordable housing market on Earth.

Lexicon fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 12, 2014

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Not necessarily. There's lots of money that comes here to buy houses without going to the trouble of immigrating.
Those existed in LA and NY too and housing still tanked. There will always be too few rich immigrants who can afford to do that sort of thing to have any sort of major impact on a housing market in any major city.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
shithead vancouver realtor expanding into calgary

http://www.biv.com/article/20140211/BIV0111/140219983/-1/BIV/vancouver-condo-developer-looks-to-calgary-for-future

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So apparently the investor visa being scrapped included the tossing of 59,000 applications which were already in the queue:

http://www.scmp.com/news/world/article/1426368/canada-scraps-millionaire-visa-scheme-dumps-46000-chinese-applications
and
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/canada-scraps-millionaire-visa-sends-b-c-property-market-reeling-1.2533006

Rime fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 12, 2014

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I think this will definitely impact Vancouver's real estate. Unquestionably some effect from the backlog cancellation itself, and yet more from the local financial geniuses who find themselves underwater on a $1.8M shitheap with no real or imagined Chinese unicorn in the pipeline to take it off their hands at a profit.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lexicon posted:

I think this will definitely impact Vancouver's real estate. Unquestionably some effect from the backlog cancellation itself, and yet more from the local financial geniuses who find themselves underwater on a $1.8M shitheap with no real or imagined Chinese unicorn in the pipeline to take it off their hands at a profit.

I would like to believe that this will reduce the amount I have to hear about them, but I suspect the myth will just shift to the 17 million (number approximate) rich Chinese investors that already came here and are sitting on suitcases of money.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey its a good time to buy a house. Prices keep going up forever.

http://m.theglobeandmail.com/report...?service=mobile

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
If half the population of the country are now chinese millionaires, we have bigger problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Rime posted:

If half the population of the country are now chinese millionaires, we have bigger problems.

Only if you're racist.