Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hey Lou, do you want to read insufferable geeks whining about their treatment on a tabletop gaming board?

http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?7-Trouble-Tickets

Best quote from today?

Bonus Mod reply:

Since when is it not okay to call My Little Pony watchers "douchebags"? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Greggy posted:

I really really loved that PFT had listened to Ice T's podcast and was able to quote it at the impersonator :allears:

PFT listens to every podcast. It's the least he could do, since he knows he's going to be on them eventually.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I also like that the real Ice-T threw out that he would "love to meet Paul Tompkins" because he heard he's a "cool dude". I hope they make it happen!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

CBB ep with Ice T and Ice T. MAKE IT HAPPEN.

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hey Lou, do you want to read insufferable geeks whining about their treatment on a tabletop gaming board?

http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?7-Trouble-Tickets

Best quote from today?

Bonus Mod reply:

Thanks for the suggestion!

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

I just got a twitter notice that my podcast got mentioned on Splitsider. Pretty flattering view.

http://splitsider.com/2014/01/this-week-in-comedy-podcasts-71/

I'm all blushing and poo poo. :woop:

quote:

The internet's impact on society is so huge that it's hard to remember what life was like before it. Nearly every home has a computer that can instantaneously access the breadth of mankind's knowledge and your average citizen holds in their pockets a device that can spark dictator-toppling revolutions. But if we're being honest, 95% of the internet is used by weirdos to talk about whatever disgusting thing is on their mind. On each episode of Lou Reads The Internet For You, voice actor Lou Fernandez does the Lord's work by reading message board threads verbatim in his dulcet baritone voice. Fernandez typically pulls these threads from forums that cover some of the weirdest topics imaginable, like bestiality proponents, sneezing fetishists, adult babies, or Bronies, and he reads them out loud without judgement or additional commentary. On the latest episode, Fernandez returns to the forums of FetLife to help us understand what it's like to be sexually attracted to gaping anuses. Lou Reads The Internet For You is definitely not for the squeamish, but if you want to hear the words of an internet commentator comparing his swimming style to octopus propulsion read out loud by a man whose orotund voice belongs in movie trailers, then this is the podcast for you.

Adding the text for those who hate clicking things.

Thanks man! Yeah, I love all those shows
VVVVVV

King Lou fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jan 24, 2014

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

King Lou posted:

I just got a twitter notice that my podcast got mentioned on Splitsider. Pretty flattering view.

http://splitsider.com/2014/01/this-week-in-comedy-podcasts-71/

I'm all blushing and poo poo. :woop:

Kickass, man! You got mentioned alongside some pretty prestigious company.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
TGS this morning had a few bits that made me giggle for most of my train ride to work today. I think Danny Lobell had Todd's head spinning pretty well.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

I know it's not technically a podcast (or untechnically a podcast), but does anyone here watch the Chris Gethard Show? I watched an episode and really liked it, and I'm wondering if there are any particularly good episodes I should watch first or if I should start from the beginning or what.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I love Chris Gethard (and his book) and I've watched a few but it seems really overwhelming to try and get into.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
There's a (shortish) TVIV thread about it. A few recommendations for best episodes in there - I'd probably go with Crowd-Sourced Character Contest as a personal favourite (and one requiring no prior knowledge). The best thing to do is definitely to start from the beginning because it's cool to see how things that become regular parts of the show just start completely by chance, but some of the first episodes are pretty rough, so it's kinda worth knowing how good it gets, just as motivation to get through them.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

GraPar posted:

There's a (shortish) TVIV thread about it. A few recommendations for best episodes in there - I'd probably go with Crowd-Sourced Character Contest as a personal favourite (and one requiring no prior knowledge). The best thing to do is definitely to start from the beginning because it's cool to see how things that become regular parts of the show just start completely by chance, but some of the first episodes are pretty rough, so it's kinda worth knowing how good it gets, just as motivation to get through them.

A later good episode to start in on is "Destroy-A-Toy." Strong premise with a great guest, doesn't get too "inside baseball" while still having all the main cast there. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the show, but was also totally overwhelmed at first (which I liked, but was still overwhelming). I'd cosign on starting around early 20's, really, the Presidental Debate is episode 19 and a strong start....You'll miss a lot of the rough early stuff but you'll still have most of the mythology and character-building episodes ahead of you.

It's a great, inspiring, hilarious show. I suggest everyone get into it.

Ugh. I just referred to TCGS "mythology."

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

GraPar posted:

This video is amazing, holy moly. Thank you for the links!

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

quote:

Fri February 7, 2014, 6:30pm PST

Show
Dead Authors
Note
with Jamie Denbo as Anne Frank
Proceeds to benefit 826LA
poo poo yes.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

He also just recorded an ep with Tom Lennon as William Faulkner. Gonna be great.

Also, seeing PFT on his webcam in his usual fancy getup is the oddest thing. Maybe I'm just too used to people on webcams being either lazily, barely, or un clothed.

(For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy17g5TI4e8)

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers

Reformed Pissboy posted:

This video is amazing, holy moly. Thank you for the links!

Seconding this. I always heard about the show through Best Show but never checked it out. Way more interesting that I thought it'd be!

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

You people who are just starting out with the show like me, you have got to watch ep 35, Checking in With Alyssa: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOf1ydj_Qnc. I'm watching it right now and it's blowing my mind. Also I checked out her twitter and she really is way too funny for someone so young. Also also I suppose we should move discussion of the show to the actual TCGS thread.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
PFT will be riffing on the State of the Union live with puppets http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/to-cover-state-of-the-union-fusion-taps-talking-animals-and-a-chatty-hot-dog-1201072174/

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have any opinions of "It's That Episode" with Craig Rowen? He invites celebs/comedians to his apartment to watch a TV show or movie and they discuss it and whatever else comes up. I haven't heard of it before and might dive into some episodes. I was curious if it's any good in general. I heard a snippet of one and the sound quality left something to be desired but if it's worth it I can deal or eq it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Gelmania is back tonight!

http://gelmaniapodcast.com/

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

[breathes heavily] ohhhh shiiiittttt

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

The Ape of Naples posted:

Anyone have any opinions of "It's That Episode" with Craig Rowen? He invites celebs/comedians to his apartment to watch a TV show or movie and they discuss it and whatever else comes up. I haven't heard of it before and might dive into some episodes. I was curious if it's any good in general. I heard a snippet of one and the sound quality left something to be desired but if it's worth it I can deal or eq it.

Subscribe subscribe subscribe. Craig Rowen is one of the most relaxed comedians I've ever heard and he can host opposite seemingly anyone. I listen to his show before Comedy Bang Bang each Monday, it's always fun.

Skip the Nickelodeon history episode with Mathew Klickstein though, that guy is a tremendous windbag. Not even Craig can interview someone that far up their own rear end.

Check out the Charlie Sanders episode (Diners Drives ins and Dives) for an improv nerd trying to break apart the "illusion" of podcasting on-air. Guy sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat but he makes some interesting points about the psychology of comedy podcast fans.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Analytic Engine posted:

Subscribe subscribe subscribe. Craig Rowen is one of the most relaxed comedians I've ever heard and he can host opposite seemingly anyone. I listen to his show before Comedy Bang Bang each Monday, it's always fun.

Skip the Nickelodeon history episode with Mathew Klickstein though, that guy is a tremendous windbag. Not even Craig can interview someone that far up their own rear end.

Check out the Charlie Sanders episode (Diners Drives ins and Dives) for an improv nerd trying to break apart the "illusion" of podcasting on-air. Guy sounds like a huge rear end in a top hat but he makes some interesting points about the psychology of comedy podcast fans.

Thanks. I've checked out some random episodes with some shows/comedians I'm into and I've grown to like it. It's flown under my radar.

Edit: I'm listening to the Chris Kula episode and they refer to Smash Mouth Eat the Eggs but mistakenly credit FARK. Oh well.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 5, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I don't think Matt knows what the song Coward of the County is about.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Al! posted:

I don't think Matt knows what the song Coward of the County is about.

I've tried I4H a few times and it isn't really for me, but I'm tempted by the title of this episode. Kenny Rodgers is a well of comedy.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

I've tried I4H a few times and it isn't really for me, but I'm tempted by the title of this episode. Kenny Rodgers is a well of comedy.

Not to dissuade anyone from listening to I4H, but there's nothing else about Kenny Rogers in the episode. The title refers to some dumdum on Twitter that Besser had an "argument" with and was supposed to call in to "debate" Besser, but never did.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I actually like the "case closed" concept of Matt holding Twitter idiots responsible for the dumb poo poo they write but usually they just cave in immediately and go "yeah, I didn't really mean what I said. Sorry?". This was the first one that promised to lead to an actual debate of some kind and then the guy fakes an hour-long conference call to get out of it.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Feb 7, 2014

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

After the episode dropped a ton of people on Twitter started calling him yella. The politically social guy had kind of a puppetmaster meltdown thing where he made like 30 tweets at Matt Besser saying "yeah retweet this, retweet this one too, more publicity for my site" and now his Twitter account is set to private.

There was one point where he said he'd go on I4H if Matt would do an interview for his site first, and then agree in writing not to edit any of his answers in the I4H debate but I don't know if they agreed on anything.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Don't know if anyone listens to Julie Klausner's How Was Your Week, but she randomly outs St. Vincent on the intro to the newest episode, so that's something.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

GraPar posted:

Don't know if anyone listens to Julie Klausner's How Was Your Week, but she randomly outs St. Vincent on the intro to the newest episode, so that's something.

Klausner seems to really dislike Annie Clarke, so I dunno how much I'd trust what she says about her. I mean, her complaint was that she was a contestant on @Midnight and Chris Hardwick introduces the contestants as "comedians" and Clarke isn't a comedian. But she wasn't, she was on for like 2 minutes to read a thing. Neko Case was a contestant though, but Klausner likes Neko Case and strangely enough she was never mentioned.

And then she just randomly starts talking about Clark's sexuality, which is none of her or our business. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for comedic license, but she wasn't trying to be funny. She was just complaining about someone she doesn't like. And regardless of Annie Clark's sexual orientation, nobody has the right to tell others when to come out, let alone out someone themselves. Thinking you have authority over someone else's sexuality doesn't make you part of the solution. So gently caress Julie Klausner.

Neko Case was pretty great on @Midnight tho.

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Weak as gently caress to disguise her distaste for Clarke as a "think of the children!" appeal. I don't follow Klausner closely but she's seemed reasonable in the past, but condemning / insulting closeted people by casting the issue as one purely of vanity ("you aren't that interesting") is pretty lovely.

edit: She seems to be reaching out to people mentioning it on twitter and will apparently talk about it next week. So that's good.

Reformed Pissboy fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 9, 2014

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Yeah, I usually like Julie Klausner quite a bit, especially those opening monologues and particularly when she gets mean in them, but it was pretty out of line for her to call Annie Clark a coward. For some context (without wanting to sound like a gossip-monger), it's not totally out of the blue, since it's fairly widely assumed among her fans/commenters on music websites that Annie is gay, but she doesn't seem likely to ever talk about it (nor should she have to, obviously).

And agreed that Neko Case was very funny on @midnight.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The last 4 episodes of her complaining about Los Angeles have been unbearable. Poor you, getting paid to write dialogue for the gay characters in Mulaney for 3 months in sunny LA instead of looking for the next print/internet writing gig in the frozen snow-covered wasteland of NYC.

edit: That was a little harsh. But as a local, I can't stand when out-of-towners come here to make money and then complain about the "People in LA" when what they really mean to say is "The ultra homogenized above the line mostly-white people I interact with inside the entertainment industry"

WerthersWay fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 9, 2014

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

The last 4 episodes of her complaining about Los Angeles have been unbearable. Poor you, getting paid to write dialogue for the gay characters in Mulaney for 3 months in sunny LA instead of looking for the next print/internet writing gig in the frozen snow-covered wasteland of NYC.

To be fair NYC is better than LA.

VVV That's fair.

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 9, 2014

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

The Ape of Naples posted:

To be fair NYC is better than LA.

I love NYC. But I would never want to live there in present time unless I was rich or had rich parents.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

GraPar posted:

And agreed that Neko Case was very funny on @midnight.

I was pretty entertained by her episode of the Nerdist.

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
It looks like the Dead Authors Podcast starts back up next Wednesday, with guest Anne Frank.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

urk the quack posted:

It looks like the Dead Authors Podcast starts back up next Wednesday, with guest Anne Frank.

Ja, not offensive at all!

This should be beautiful.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
I usually listen to the Todd Glass Show, but I'm a little wary of this four hour episode. Anyone listen to it yet? Worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow the Bone Zone actually had Lenny Kravitz on. I was expecting Johnny Pemberton doing some impression or them calling up Duncan Trussel and asking him about his hit song "American Woman".

They talk about mustard and soling shoes. It's weird hearing Brendon be so starstruck.

• Locked thread