Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
I'm thinking about getting this game due to the positive reception it's been getting, but figured I'd try the demo first. Is the general consensus that it's a good representation of the full game's quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eddain
May 6, 2007
My auto-battle setup of just max Braving and attacking has stopped working in Chapter 3 now (playing on Hard). Also Axes are so loving bad at actually connecting hits. Even if Optimize equips an Axe for you, look at your AIM value on the bottom screen and make sure it's at least 95. Anything under that will really hinder your damage output.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Eddain posted:

My auto-battle setup of just max Braving and attacking has stopped working in Chapter 3 now (playing on Hard). Also Axes are so loving bad at actually connecting hits. Even if Optimize equips an Axe for you, look at your AIM value on the bottom screen and make sure it's at least 95. Anything under that will really hinder your damage output.

I'm guessing this is similar to other Square games where the low hit rate offsets the critical damage they do perhaps?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One of my friends who isn't usually into JRPGs is kinda interested in this, how likely is it someone who doesn't usually play JRPGs might like this? He liked Earthbound and Chrono Trigger.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Anatharon posted:

One of my friends who isn't usually into JRPGs is kinda interested in this, how likely is it someone who doesn't usually play JRPGs might like this? He liked Earthbound and Chrono Trigger.

It's quite a bit more involved than either of those. I would bet that someone who hasn't played many JRPGs could get into it, but if he actively dislikes more complicated ones I wouldn't recommend it.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Behonkiss posted:

I'm thinking about getting this game due to the positive reception it's been getting, but figured I'd try the demo first. Is the general consensus that it's a good representation of the full game's quality?

Yes and no. It lets you play with the battle system and the job system, but basically sets you up to do a JRPG grind/dungeon crawl+bosses with no interaction with the main plot, and honestly, no real plot to speak of. It does let you have fun setting up some interactions between jobs you don't get for a long time in the main game to show you all the crazy poo poo you can pull off with the job system later on, but the quests, the bosses, the dialogue, and the party interaction is pared way down compared to the real game.

Basically, the demo lets you see what they've done to change up stale JRPG combat and how they've revived FF5's job system, but you won't be doing MMO "collect 8 demon tails!" quests with no plot relevance in the full game.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."
Just want to reiterate how the Friend Code google doc was a brilliant idea. I love not having to see dozens of lines of friend codes in the thread. Thanks again for the suggestion, guys!! :)

Hope you guys're having fun with the game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm about mid-way through Chapter 1 and I'm starting to wonder how much I should worry about job levels. So far I've got Ringabel as a Thief, Tiz as my healer (White Mage with level 1 Black Magic as a secondary), Edea as a Knight wrecking poo poo with two-handed Stomps, and for a while I had Agnes as a Black Mage. But I found I wasn't really using her Black Magic very much--mostly I ended up saving it for boss battles--so I changed her to a Monk for a little while to mess around. I feel like she's contributing more as a Monk.

What I'm worried about, though, is that I don't want to fall behind on job levels for any jobs I may end up needing. Will Black Mage start to become more valuable soon (maybe when the Fira/Blizzara/Thundara spells become available)? Should I keep her as that just for the sake of keeping it leveled? I'm playing on Hard, if it matters, and my highest-level jobs for each character are either 4 or 5 right now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finally got the Vampire boss dungeon unlocked. The dragons were easy in comparison to this boss, he is kicking my rear end and I haven't been able to come up with a good strategy for beating him yet.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Rampart is one of the best skills for that one.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Harrow posted:

What I'm worried about, though, is that I don't want to fall behind on job levels for any jobs I may end up needing. Will Black Mage start to become more valuable soon (maybe when the Fira/Blizzara/Thundara spells become available)? Should I keep her as that just for the sake of keeping it leveled? I'm playing on Hard, if it matters, and my highest-level jobs for each character are either 4 or 5 right now.

It's pretty easy to catch up with Jobs, especially when it starts mattering in the late game so just Relax about it and have fun, the only necessity is really keeping your mages up to date on magic and that hasn't been a problem for me so far.

Gyoru I was really proud I maxed out my chapter 2 attack to do like 8K and then I saw the update, you are a monster Thank you

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FrickenMoron posted:

Rampart is one of the best skills for that one.

Yeah i've been trying to rely on it but it feels like there is still a lot of luck involved? I cast it whenever I can but I still get my rear end beat.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really hope that there is a major plot twist or justification somewhere in the near future. I will be extremely disappointed if I find out that there is no real justification for the Empire wanting to kill all the Vestals, completely ignoring what the Crystals being corrupted without them is doing to the world. So far it seems to be "We are just going to continue to do this despite all evidence pointing out that we are ruining the entire world by doing so, making our whole 'conquer the world' motif pointless as there won't be anything left."

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I really hope that there is a major plot twist or justification somewhere in the near future. I will be extremely disappointed if I find out that there is no real justification for the Empire wanting to kill all the Vestals, completely ignoring what the Crystals being corrupted without them is doing to the world. So far it seems to be "We are just going to continue to do this despite all evidence pointing out that we are ruining the entire world by doing so, making our whole 'conquer the world' motif pointless as there won't be anything left."

Hahahahahaha, oh boy.

Edit: Gyoru, you son of a bitch! you killed 3/4ths of my party! :argh:

Reco fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Feb 10, 2014

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

So, something about Tiz's voice was nagging at me. It sounded familiar, especially when he yelled. Then it hit me.

He sounds just like Henry (the very... enthusiastic dark mage from Fire Emblem: Awakening.) And now I just picture Tiz screaming "Yeah, blood!" when he eviscerates his foes with this swank new (totally fabulous) bow I picked up a little bit ago!

Any idea if they actually are voiced by the same guy? The usual suspects (IMDB and Wikipedia) didn't turn up much about the voice actors in either game...

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Yes. I can't remember the guy's name, but he's also Asbel in Tales of Graces.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

So, something about Tiz's voice was nagging at me. It sounded familiar, especially when he yelled. Then it hit me.

He sounds just like Henry (the very... enthusiastic dark mage from Fire Emblem: Awakening.) And now I just picture Tiz screaming "Yeah, blood!" when he eviscerates his foes with this swank new (totally fabulous) bow I picked up a little bit ago!

Any idea if they actually are voiced by the same guy? The usual suspects (IMDB and Wikipedia) didn't turn up much about the voice actors in either game...

The Fire Emblem and Final Fantasy wikis both have them being voiced by a guy named Bryce Papenbrook (Tiz is confirmed through his Twitter).

zer0 nil
Jul 25, 2011

Silver Falcon posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryce_Papenbrook

I love you for making me look this up, henry was my favorite character in FE:A and knowing he voices Tiz makes me love this game that much more.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress this game is awesome. Put 14 or so hours into it so far, and I got it yesterday. I knew from the demo I'd like it but it's even better than I could have hoped for with all the jobs and combinations and features.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

zer0 nil posted:

I love you for making me look this up, henry was my favorite character in FE:A and knowing he voices Tiz makes me love this game that much more.

Secret bloodthirsty Tiz is now my favorite thing, which is fitting because he's the only person in my party consistently doing 900+ damage at this point (I love you bows).

Is there any decent place to grind for some job points? I'm early in chapter 3 and while Valkyries can wield Lu Bu's halberd, 400+ damage is not good enough anymore.

Also what would people prefer as of now? Rejuvenation or just more damage based sends?

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Are summoners any good?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This may be a dumb question but I'm aware that to get Ace/Hero you need to fulfill the conditions in a row, but does that hold true for Sweeper? What I mean is, if I get four fights in a row where I get Sweeper and then get a battle with one enemy, does that break my Sweeper streak, or is it only dependent on battles where the condition can actually be fulfilled?

If it's the former then I assume there has to be somewhere where there's no single enemy encounters to get those bonuses.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Comrade Flynn posted:

Are summoners any good?

I got Agnes at level 6 for Summoner, and the level 3 summon is doing 2k damage to everyone weak to water/blizzard and about 1.2k to anything that isn't for me, though I do have water amp on her. If you don't mind switching her support ability to auto aspir every now and then to get back mp, I'd say yeah they're good mid game.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Comrade Flynn posted:

Are summoners any good?

If attacking multiple guys, yes. Currently my caster guy can Firaga everything for 1300-ish and 45mp, or Promethian Fire them for over 3000 and 40mp. Summoner also gets some skills to boost summon power as well as their cost (so for example for 2 sp I could make PF cost 50 and do 3750). Note that that's as a summoner, while as a black mage the same Firaga against the same enemies does 1700. I don't know if that's the difference between job level 11 and 9, or if they have an innate favoritism for their own job's spells.

Twelve by Pies posted:

This may be a dumb question but I'm aware that to get Ace/Hero you need to fulfill the conditions in a row, but does that hold true for Sweeper? What I mean is, if I get four fights in a row where I get Sweeper and then get a battle with one enemy, does that break my Sweeper streak, or is it only dependent on battles where the condition can actually be fulfilled?

If it's the former then I assume there has to be somewhere where there's no single enemy encounters to get those bonuses.

Sweeper doesn't reset if there's a solo fight.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I just got to Chapter 5 and really among everything that's happened holy poo poo I can change my character's names what the gently caress :psypop:.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Hivac posted:

Edit: Gyoru, you son of a bitch! you killed 3/4ths of my party! :argh:

THIS.

"Oh hey, I'll just cheese this nemesis..."

Agnes and Tiz die.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
This dragon in the Vestal Cave has me considering dropping it down to Easy. There not being an inn without flying/walking all the way to Anchiem doesn't make grinding here sound all that appealing, either :argh:.

Also I've never done a special attack. I don't think I've ever seen the option pop up :negative:.

Modoh
Jul 23, 2007
So, I found a repeatable crash bug in the game. Not something that'll come up much but in case anyone's interested (most likely in avoiding it) this causes a crash every time:

Character equipped with empty hand + shield and two shields ability.
Have fist-weapon super move (Moonbeam) ready on the character.
Brave once, use Moonbeam then equip the second shield and use another move.
Game crashes to Home screen when the character's turn comes up.

I always find this stuff interesting so maybe someone else does as well.

Kobogartimer
Mar 17, 2006

It turns out Mug costs a bunch of MP which has ruined my life, and my hopes of stealing literally everything in every battle. The Thief's Knife has spoiled me but it's just too weak now!

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Soul Glo posted:

This dragon in the Vestal Cave has me considering dropping it down to Easy. There not being an inn without flying/walking all the way to Anchiem doesn't make grinding here sound all that appealing, either :argh:.

Also I've never done a special attack. I don't think I've ever seen the option pop up :negative:.

You can sleep in the hermit's cabin. The fox there also sells weapons.
Turn off random encounters and run back.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Spite posted:

You can sleep in the hermit's cabin. The fox there also sells weapons.
Turn off random encounters and run back.

How do you sleep there? I talked to the guy and nada. I bought all the armor I could afford. That's one thing about this game, I've never felt like I had enough money to buy what I wanted.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

How do you sleep there? I talked to the guy and nada. I bought all the armor I could afford. That's one thing about this game, I've never felt like I had enough money to buy what I wanted.

Right side of the house, with the beds. Just walk into them.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Soul Glo posted:

You could always turn off EXP if you wanted to grind for cash and not want to get overleveled. It's all there in the config option.

Also all special attacks have their activation requirements listed in the menu, but you need to buidl the special attack shop int he town first

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

If you have someone as merchant you basically drown in money just passively. I'm sitting on like 80k only mid way through chapter 2.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

zer0 nil posted:

quote:

(credited as Dick Smallberries Jr.)
This guy is officially one of my favorite voice actors.

When in the hell did he ever do Vash the Stampede? Did he cover for Bosche or something?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Agnés is done by Erin Fitzgerald, who did Emmeryn. And Ringabel's Spike Spencer did Excellus! Oh, and Papenbrook is also doing Makoto Naegi's voice in goon favorite Dangan Ronpa. :eng101:

Edea is the odd one out.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

So what's the deal with the Red Mage? He seems to restore BP as I attack him, is this just some random Red Mage skill? And does it just trigger randomly, or are there conditions?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

So what's the deal with the Red Mage? He seems to restore BP as I attack him, is this just some random Red Mage skill? And does it just trigger randomly, or are there conditions?

Red mage gets 25% chance on being hit to generate BP, chance on dodge to generate BP, BP when killing a guy, 2BP when hit by a status, and 2BP in critical HP. I don't know which ones the boss runs with but yeah he has a lot of BP options.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ugh. I hit Chapter 5 and my interest in continuing the game has basically plummeted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Terper posted:

Agnés is done by Erin Fitzgerald, who did Emmeryn. And Ringabel's Spike Spencer did Excellus! Oh, and Papenbrook is also doing Makoto Naegi's voice in goon favorite Dangan Ronpa. :eng101:

Edea is the odd one out.

When I found out loving Shinji Ikari(Spike Spencer) was Ringabel I was pretty blown away. I can't help but think Ringabel is now secretly a whiny bitch and the whole suave thing is just an act.

• Locked thread