Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Tax return time so I am finally getting another Ipad. Just wanted to check in here real quick to see what the opinions of the Air are. I got bit in the rear end with my last Ipad purchase, it was the 3 and just a few months later it was nearly obsolete, just dont want it to happen with the Air. Also, sorry if this has been asked a few times, I have stayed away from this thread for the last few months since I sold my 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Air is without a doubt the gold standard for tablets. Get a 32GB and you won' regret it.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

loudog999 posted:

Tax return time so I am finally getting another Ipad. Just wanted to check in here real quick to see what the opinions of the Air are. I got bit in the rear end with my last Ipad purchase, it was the 3 and just a few months later it was nearly obsolete, just dont want it to happen with the Air. Also, sorry if this has been asked a few times, I have stayed away from this thread for the last few months since I sold my 3.

You didn't really get bit in the rear end with the 3->4, only in terms of not having THE NEWEST GREATEST poo poo. While it was crappy when apple pooped out the 4 only 6 months later it's not like the 3 was a total piece of poo poo. Certainly lasted me a long time until I got my rMini.

Either way, you're still in the first half of the new product cycle and you're not going to be disapointed with the Air or the Retina Mini as both have the 64bit A7 processors and whatever else.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

You didn't really get bit in the rear end with the 3->4, only in terms of not having THE NEWEST GREATEST poo poo. While it was crappy when apple pooped out the 4 only 6 months later it's not like the 3 was a total piece of poo poo. Certainly lasted me a long time until I got my rMini.

Either way, you're still in the first half of the new product cycle and you're not going to be disapointed with the Air or the Retina Mini as both have the 64bit A7 processors and whatever else.

Maybe bit in the rear end was an overstatement, I just meant that some games suffered slow downs and stuttering on the 3 that did not happen on the 4. Regardless, thanks guys.. I went out and got and Air on my lunch break and so far I love it

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
The air is awesome. I love the size and weight. It's even better than the iPad 2 size/weight. See what capacity fits your usage and get one.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

N-th'ing the Air. Coming from a 2, this is the best thing ever. But definitely go 32, it's worth it.

Also, Space Grey with Red Smart Cover supremacy. Any other color combo is incorrect.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

SaturdayKnight posted:

N-th'ing the Air. Coming from a 2, this is the best thing ever. But definitely go 32, it's worth it.

Also, Space Grey with Red Smart Cover supremacy. Any other color combo is incorrect.

drat it, I went space grey and black, I've made a huge mistake.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I went grey with red smart case but I didn't like the clownshoe red they went with this time compared to the deep red of the original leather smart cover that fit the 2-4. I went brown for the snartcase instead, and it is weathering very nicely.

hottubrhymemachine
May 24, 2006

Connie is death process
I have a 16GB air and I am constantly butting up against the storage limit with minimal stuff installed. I had a Nexus 10 before and the difference in app sizes are huge. I rarely thought about storage on my Nexus 10 but with the air I install a couple of games and suddenly 6 gigs have been swallowed up. So yeah I'd strongly encourage you to go for the 32GB at the very least.

Edit: to clarify: the air is so much nicer to use than the Nexus. I used to think I'd hate the 4:3 aspect ratio but it actually makes everything much nicer to read/use. The only thing I miss is the android intents system and sometimes access to the file system so I could open files created by other apps without Dropbox as a middle man.

hottubrhymemachine fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Feb 7, 2014

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

therobotking posted:

Edit: to clarify: the air is so much nicer to use than the Nexus. I used to think I'd hate the 4:3 aspect ratio but it actually makes everything much nicer to read/use.

I actually really, really hate widescreen as a mobile form factor for devices above, I dunno, 4". 16:9 just feels so awkward. It's too tall in portrait and too wide in landscape, and just ends up feeling like it misses the mark for everything except video. I'm actually pretty worried about Apple jumping to widescreen for future iPads just because I find it to be so much less pleasant to use on 7-10" devices.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Does the power demand of iOS 7 together with the latest generation of iPads outstrip the ability of USB ports to keep them charged? I'm asking because I bought an iPad Mini with Retina Display and I get the 'not charging' message when I plug it into my desktop's USB ports. It plays nice with wall outlets and my desktop charges my iPhone 5 without a problem.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Contingency Plan posted:

Does the power demand of iOS 7 together with the latest generation of iPads outstrip the ability of USB ports to keep them charged? I'm asking because I bought an iPad Mini with Retina Display and I get the 'not charging' message when I plug it into my desktop's USB ports. It plays nice with wall outlets and my desktop charges my iPhone 5 without a problem.
This was the case with all the iPads I thought...or maybe starting with 3rd gen? I forget. Haven't kept an eye on the mini retina when hooked up, but with previous ones at least they'd (slowly) charge when the screen was off.

And depending on your computer there might be a patch to enable higher power output from your USB ports. The normal spec is 500mA while there's a higher power 1A charging spec which the iPads use (and up to 2A with the larger iPad power bricks).

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

japtor posted:

This was the case with all the iPads I thought...or maybe starting with 3rd gen? I forget. Haven't kept an eye on the mini retina when hooked up, but with previous ones at least they'd (slowly) charge when the screen was off.

And depending on your computer there might be a patch to enable higher power output from your USB ports. The normal spec is 500mA while there's a higher power 1A charging spec which the iPads use (and up to 2A with the larger iPad power bricks).

It's the case of all iPads, except for the non-retina Mini. You have to have the charger that came with your iPad, or a computer that's capable of outputting extra power over USB (Most Apple computers, as far as I know).

A PC Game
May 7, 2007
Which browser crashes the least on the ipad air? I want to use safari but it's getting pretty annoying with crashes and reloads.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

A PC Game posted:

Which browser crashes the least on the ipad air? I want to use safari but it's getting pretty annoying with crashes and reloads.

Chrome works reasonably well. Remember, though, that every iOS browser has the Safari engine underneath, by Apple mandate.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nihiliste posted:

Chrome works reasonably well. Remember, though, that every iOS browser has the Safari engine underneath, by Apple mandate.

Also every browser but Safari is forced to use a slowed-down version of Safari's javascript engine.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

A PC Game posted:

I use Photon on my Air and it has never crashed

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I kind of want to swap my Wifi Air into one that has LTE. Gazelle isn't currently accepting Airs. Does anyone have any other ideas other than tossing it on craigslist/ebay?

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

Lolcano Eruption posted:

I kind of want to swap my Wifi Air into one that has LTE. Gazelle isn't currently accepting Airs. Does anyone have any other ideas other than tossing it on craigslist/ebay?

Amazon has a trade-in service. I think it only gets you Amazon credit, but of course, you can turn around and buy an Air from them without any hassle.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Nihiliste posted:

Chrome crashes for me seriously every day. (I still use it because I apparently hate myself)

That being said, it does save all your tabs when it crashes so it isn't a HUGE DEAL. More slightly annoying.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

ddogflex posted:

Chrome crashes for me seriously every day. (I still use it because I apparently hate myself)

That being said, it does save all your tabs when it crashes so it isn't a HUGE DEAL. More slightly annoying.

Hmm, it almost never crashes for me. How many tabs do you keep open?

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I just bought a used iPad 2 for the first time. Im using windows 7 x64 and i just CANNOT get iTunes to recognize my device. The weirdest thing is that windows seems to recognize it just fine (it has "Apple Ipad" in the list of devices right under all the drives in My Computer.

I followed all the things in the Apple websites troubleshooting guide (restarting apple mobile device service, reinstalling the driver, reinstalling itunes, ect)

Any ideas?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Gozinbulx posted:

I just bought a used iPad 2 for the first time. Im using windows 7 x64 and i just CANNOT get iTunes to recognize my device. The weirdest thing is that windows seems to recognize it just fine (it has "Apple Ipad" in the list of devices right under all the drives in My Computer.

I followed all the things in the Apple websites troubleshooting guide (restarting apple mobile device service, reinstalling the driver, reinstalling itunes, ect)

Any ideas?

Is it jail broken? If not maybe try it on another PC to determine if it's your particular iTunes or something with the device itself

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Have you done this? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Completely remove everything they say, in the order they say, and reboot your computer. Then install iTunes.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Don Tacorleone posted:

Is it jail broken? If not maybe try it on another PC to determine if it's your particular iTunes or something with the device itself

Nope.

DarkJC posted:

Have you done this? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1923

Completely remove everything they say, in the order they say, and reboot your computer. Then install iTunes.

Will do right now.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
God damnit. Nothing.

What could this possibly be. I even uninstalled PDAnet and all that stuff.

edit: Ive actually regressed, cause now "Apple Ipad" is not popping up in My Computer

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Very weird, that always fixes any odd issues for me. Sorry, I'm not sure what else you can do other than contact Apple support I guess.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Put it in recovery mode and see if something shows up?
Connect to another PC and do a full iPad restore?
Have another cable to try?

Why exactly do you want to connect it to iTunes for BTW? You might be able to avoid it with iCloud or wireless sync.

ZoCrowes
Nov 17, 2005

by Lowtax
Check and see if there is a problem with the cable. Also double check the 30 pin dock to make sure that the dock is free of corrosion and that none of the pins are bent.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
I've actually been having similar problems with my iPad Air. Windows 8.1 sees the iPad just fine, but iTunes refuses to acknowledge it. Since iTunes USED to be able to detect the device, I'm guessing Apple just broke iTunes again, as per usual.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I gave up and ended up using my fiance's macbook. Blah.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Does that "iTunes Helper" service perhaps have anything to do with it?

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I ordered my wife a retina mini the day they were available online, my records make that look like 11/12/13. I noticed today it has a yellow streak across the top of the display- one day outside of the 90 day window. Am I boned?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Turnquiet posted:

I ordered my wife a retina mini the day they were available online, my records make that look like 11/12/13. I noticed today it has a yellow streak across the top of the display- one day outside of the 90 day window. Am I boned?

1) When was it shipped, rather than when did you pay for it?

2) The warranty on iPads is one year, not 90 days; get thee to an Apple Store.

smilingokami
Nov 4, 2009
If your having issues getting iTunes to see your iPad, you might have an issue where the system sees it but not as the right device

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

Read up section 5. I was tripping on this with my brand new ipad until I finally did this and checked it device manager.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Nihiliste posted:

I've actually been having similar problems with my iPad Air. Windows 8.1 sees the iPad just fine, but iTunes refuses to acknowledge it. Since iTunes USED to be able to detect the device, I'm guessing Apple just broke iTunes again, as per usual.

This is fixed by following the procedure I linked to in my earlier post. Yes, the recent update broke something that a reinstall fixes.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

smilingokami posted:

If your having issues getting iTunes to see your iPad, you might have an issue where the system sees it but not as the right device

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1538

Read up section 5. I was tripping on this with my brand new ipad until I finally did this and checked it device manager.

Thanks for finding that! My Air is detected at long last.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My retina mini battery life seems terrible, much more so than my OG mini. Any ideas?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

First check location services to see if there's something sucking up precious gps time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Google Maps and FB do in background update. I've disabled them, we'll see what happens. Nothing else using location services actively.