Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

amarantinesky posted:

Earlier this week, I was actually thinking about asking my curly haired friends itt what you do to make your curls look less terrible after you sleep on them. I usually shower in the morning but I also prefer to air dry my hair and it has frozen a few times. Is there no solution? :(

cut it all off :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

amarantinesky posted:

Earlier this week, I was actually thinking about asking my curly haired friends itt what you do to make your curls look less terrible after you sleep on them. I usually shower in the morning but I also prefer to air dry my hair and it has frozen a few times. Is there no solution? :(

I've actually been getting up about half an hour earlier than I need to, taking a shower then going back to bed for a bit. My hair air dries just enough, and I'm less rushed in general. And I don't leave the house without a hat in wintertime, which helps with the occasional freezing hair

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 4, 2014

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

amarantinesky posted:

Size 10 is plus sized? I thought 12 was like the average in America.
IIRC 14 is average in America. Usually it's misses' up to 12, then plus is 14 and up, for normal ready-to-wear stuff you see in stores you'd walk into. There can be some overlap in both directions; Lane Bryant has a limited selection of 12W, and mainstream stores sometimes offer say 14-18M online. As you get fancier, the range gets smaller, so it's not surprising that something high-end would go only to 6 or 8. Then sample sizes are the tiniest of all.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
what's the difference between say a 16W and a 16 from stores that offer both?

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

amarantinesky posted:

You wouldn't say that if you saw my head haha.

oh i would. short hair for everybody. i love it so much.

earlier in the thread i said "if it means i'll be single forever and a cat lady, whatever, it'll have been loving worth it"

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

toe knee hand posted:

oh i would. short hair for everybody. i love it so much.

earlier in the thread i said "if it means i'll be single forever and a cat lady, whatever, it'll have been loving worth it"

although full disclosure, my cat is The Best and the shelter i got him from now has a bunch more fluffy black cats (including one who likes to climb on shoulders!) and i so want to start a fluffy black cat collection. i'm addicted.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

amarantinesky posted:

I was hoping you had discovered some magic serum that prevents curls from becoming completely flattened on one side of your head while the back becomes a ball of frizz and the remaining curls look like pentagons. I guess I'm just gonna have to stick with showering at ungodly hours or sticking my hair in an unattractive clip and hoping that if I straighten my bangs, no one will notice the rest of my hair.

I think the only serum for that is a wig :smith:. I just put up with weird hat hair til spring, then I have like a four week window before I have to deal with humidity literally inflating my hair.

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 10, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've seen some designers cap as low as a 6 (basically making A Point about skinny people only), but I think usually they go up to a 12 or a 14. But a 6 in Levis isn't a 6 in Ellen Tracey so who loving knows, nothing means anything.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

toe knee hand posted:

although full disclosure, my cat is The Best and the shelter i got him from now has a bunch more fluffy black cats (including one who likes to climb on shoulders!) and i so want to start a fluffy black cat collection. i'm addicted.
do it

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

vaguely posted:

what up, low expectations life goal buddy :respek:

and that shower article is super baffling, like half of it is in no way related to ladying (seriously does she think men don't get cold) and the other half is weirdly specific to her
I mean can she not put her shower off until after exercising??? I was under the impression that was what normal people did
^ loving hell, she likes Entourage and constant tanning, where does someone go so wrong in their life without realising how wrong they are

This was the thing that really got me. Who does their hair right before they go to work out anyway? Saying that just means you never actually intended to work out because you know beforehand that if you are going to exercise, you will need to shower after. It's not really a surprise. Hmmmm should I shower and do my hair before or after spin class?

'Well, I washed my hair last night, so I don't want to mess it up by going to spin class...being a lady is hard!' Just own up to the fact you didn't feel like working out. Everyone feels that way sometimes, whereas not all women skip out on exercise because they washed their hair last night. I would never exercise if I skipped it every time I had washed my hair the night before. It reminds me of the sitcom jokes where girls try to avoid dates by telling the guy that they are busy washing their hair that evening.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

toe knee hand posted:

Most stores don't offer both. In general, misses' sizes are based on smaller sizes, like they'll base it on a size 6 (or whatever) and add/subtract inches to scale it up and down from there, so by the time you get to a 16, it can get pretty distorted. Women's sizes are based on larger fit models, which (in theory) means that not only are they bigger, they account for the fact that fat people aren't shaped exactly like thin people but bigger. That might or might not be what you want, depending on your size, figure, and where/how you carry the weight. If both are offered, try both -- always try everything is the only good advice, really.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

amarantinesky posted:

I was hoping you had discovered some magic serum that prevents curls from becoming completely flattened on one side of your head while the back becomes a ball of frizz and the remaining curls look like pentagons. I guess I'm just gonna have to stick with showering at ungodly hours or sticking my hair in an unattractive clip and hoping that if I straighten my bangs, no one will notice the rest of my hair.

e: that makes sense about the sizes. I know that gap sells clothes up to size 20 but I think they usually stop at 16 in stores. I always assumed plus size is like 16+ for that reason but it's true that it really depends on the retailer.

wrap your hair in a silk headscarf when you go to sleep at night

I'm not sure what kind of curly hair you have (coarse kinky hair vs thinner wavy curls for instance), but it can make a huge difference with some hair types

Also since I have a couple days off, I just redid my nails from my new year horse manicure to a spider manicure in honour of lady thread, and now I go to sleep

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Pick posted:

nothing means anything.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Enfys posted:

Also since I have a couple days off, I just redid my nails from my new year horse manicure to a spider manicure in honour of lady thread, and now I go to sleep

You're not going to bed til you post dem nails, lady

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

i live in a 600 sq ft condo and am only allowed one small pet per strata by-laws :(

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

Anne Whateley posted:

Most stores don't offer both. In general, misses' sizes are based on smaller sizes, like they'll base it on a size 6 (or whatever) and add/subtract inches to scale it up and down from there, so by the time you get to a 16, it can get pretty distorted. Women's sizes are based on larger fit models, which (in theory) means that not only are they bigger, they account for the fact that fat people aren't shaped exactly like thin people but bigger. That might or might not be what you want, depending on your size, figure, and where/how you carry the weight. If both are offered, try both -- always try everything is the only good advice, really.

i've only seen this at department stores - namely sears and the bay since i'm canadian. what i had surmised was that w meant plus but why would they have a 16 and a 16w? if it's based on a different fit that makes some sense.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

toe knee hand posted:

i live in a 600 sq ft condo and am only allowed one small pet per strata by-laws :(

they are black cats, nobody can tell them apart

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

toe knee hand posted:

Huh, I live in a 600 SF house and have 450% more catte.

BTW, I'll say it again, even tho' I was deathly afraid of it when I was younger, being a single, cat lady isn't that bad. Although maybe it's like the boiling frog analogy and you can get used to anything if it creeps up on you slowly enough.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

amarantinesky posted:

My hair is super curly and takes forever to dry since I've been lazy about getting it cut so it's really long now. When I take a shower at night, I'll usually let it dry for a bit so it's not soaking wet and then put it up into a ponytail/bun thing. In the morning I just have to dampen and comb the hair right on top of my head, but the rest of it looks good. Although, I've noticed that my hair is usually more frizzy at the end of the day when I do this instead of showering in the morning. I'm probably going to cut most of it off soon since my favorite part of having short hair was how quickly it dried.

amarantinesky
Aug 29, 2013

amarantinesky fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 4, 2014

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

why come women's clothes come ins sizes instead of inches... you don't go to kohls or whatever and get jeans in a 36 inch waist like guys? Or are you just talking about dresses and skirts and such?

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

You could move to Australia and never worry about frozen hair at all! Just sweaty hair and humid frizz instead. :(

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

why don't people just use shower caps and dry shampoo

I work out and sweat yet don't need to constantly wash my hair

I only get my hair wet once per week and it's been working pretty fabulously

And as far as "OMG COLD" once the shower ends, my boyfriend grabs his towel with the curtain still mostly closed and once he's got it he seals the sides of the curtain to the wall so steam stays in yet lets ya get adjusted to the temperature difference.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Wendigee posted:

why come women's clothes come ins sizes instead of inches... you don't go to kohls or whatever and get jeans in a 36 inch waist like guys? Or are you just talking about dresses and skirts and such?

I never understood this poo poo, either. Sizes are completely subjective and useless. Just tell me how long the inseam is, the cut, and whether my fat gut will squeeze inside the waistband.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i'm realising american and australian sizes are different, over here plus sized is 14 and over and you pretty much never see anyone under a 6 unless they are very sick. also our size 0 is for newborns. i've been sitting here bristling and going "i went to all this trouble to get to a 10 and i'm still considered plus sized?!" but it turns out something has been lost in translation and i can go back to delighting in my svelte, luscious, incredibly sexy body

(it's weirdly shaped and lumpy because all that weight disappeared from my legs only, so i have long skinny legs and then i'm still fat above the waist like some sort of troubled songbird)

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Wendigee posted:

why come women's clothes come ins sizes instead of inches... you don't go to kohls or whatever and get jeans in a 36 inch waist like guys? Or are you just talking about dresses and skirts and such?bod

There's generally a lot more variation in a woman's body, so more measurements to take. It's easier to just make something that fits a general shape than it is to make something to order

But yeah, they're largely useless. I'm an 8 in nice dresses, but something like an extra small at Target or Old Navy. I've learned to just hold things up to my body before deciding to try them on, instead of going by what the tag says

Crow Jane fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Feb 10, 2014

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

WEEDLORDBONERHEGEL posted:

they are black cats, nobody can tell them apart

true (and like, i get it)

t_violet posted:

Huh, I live in a 600 SF house and have 450% more catte.

BTW, I'll say it again, even tho' I was deathly afraid of it when I was younger, being a single, cat lady isn't that bad. Although maybe it's like the boiling frog analogy and you can get used to anything if it creeps up on you slowly enough.

i am jealous of your cat percentage

and i don't see being a single cat lady as a bad thing. in fact my dream is to live on some largeish piece of land on a river and have a bunch of fluffy cats and a husky. i kinda gave up on living with another person about 3 years ago. i'm too independent.

also lady thread a soon-to-be-drafted football player came out as gay which is pretty cool. turns out he came out to his teammates at the beginning of the season but shock horror they went on to do really well and the ~*distraction*~ of someone coming out as gay wasn't a big deal in the locker room at all!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sports/michael-sam-college-football-star-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

Crow Jane posted:

There's generally a lot more variation in a woman's body, so more measurements to take. It's easier to just make something that fits a general shape than it is to make something to order

But yeah, they're largely useless. I'm an 8 in nice dresses, but something like an extra small at Target or Old Navy. I've learned to just hold things up to my body before deciding to try them on, instead of going by what the tag says

yep, dis. designers will also vary the amount of wearing ease in their garments a shitload, so even if you use measurements there's no guarantee a thing will fit. for the women who have a less- or greater-than 2" difference between full bust and underbust (b cup), depending on the amount of ease you'll either be in a thing that fits or a muumuu/sausage casing. the reason why thinner women fit more clothes is that because the overall circumferences of their body parts are smaller, the variations in ratios are often much smaller (ie the variation between an a cup and a c cup will be about 3". in a larger woman that variation in cup size will translate to about 6", which is more than the standard amount of wearing ease in a fitted shirt)

which just strengthens the argument for the need for designers to cater to different body shapes, not just sizes. when people defend high fashion houses running limited sizes by citing cost i play the world's tiniest violin for an industry built on the backs of slaves and indentured labourers. :qq: they're still actively choosing to target and therefore afford aesthetic primacy to those shapes and sizes of women, and it's an inherently political choice, as all aesthetic choices are under capital.

Fruity Gordo fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 10, 2014

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Wendigee posted:

Some clothes do, some don't. Outside of Target, pretty much all of the pants I buy has the size in inches. Although, even that isn't always accurate. I remember reading something from NPR or somewhere where they actually measured the waist size of various brands of pants and a lot of them were a couple inches larger than the stated size. It really depends on the brand a lot. One time at H&M I tried on some pants I'd picked up that were in my size, but they were way too small for me. I had to check to make sure I hadn't accidentally picked up something from the kids section. I'm usually a size 0-2, so I have no idea who those pants were meant for. And yet, other H&M pants in my usual size have fit me fine. :iiam:

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

Some clothes do, some don't. Outside of Target, pretty much all of the pants I buy has the size in inches. Although, even that isn't always accurate. I remember reading something from NPR or somewhere where they actually measured the waist size of various brands of pants and a lot of them were a couple inches larger than the stated size. It really depends on the brand a lot. One time at H&M I tried on some pants I'd picked up that were in my size, but they were way too small for me. I had to check to make sure I hadn't accidentally picked up something from the kids section. I'm usually a size 0-2, so I have no idea who those pants were meant for. And yet, other H&M pants in my usual size have fit me fine. :iiam:

H&M's sizing is the weirdest drat thing, there's no consistency whatsoever. Different colors of the same exact garment can fit differently. I've always found their rings to be sized really strangely as well, but that could just be my weird hands

grapey
Oct 10, 2012

Crow Jane posted:

Yes, I've had a similar experience with Target and Old Navy--especially Old Navy. I don't mind the vanity sizing too much. It's good for the self esteem.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

Also at H&M, I once tried on a dress that had a cool Russian handkerchief print on it. The way my body fit into the dress, a large, dewy, generally very vaginal bright red rose was unfurling right over my crotch. It looked pretty obscene, no idea if it was deliberate or not

Tora! Tora! Tora!
Dec 28, 2008

Shake it baby

Crow Jane posted:

H&M's sizing is the weirdest drat thing, there's no consistency whatsoever. Different colors of the same exact garment can fit differently. I've always found their rings to be sized really strangely as well, but that could just be my weird hands

Yeah, H&M is weird, I've bought smalls that were huge on me but have had go up to an 8 on other things. I'm not sure how they design their stuff, they don't seem to have a standard mannequin.

Re: sizing for different shapes. A while back someone linked a blog written by a woman who lays out patterns for industry. The blog had a ton of good information about sizing and the difficulties of designing for a wide range of shapes. Also why efficient pattern layout made it difficult to easily size up in many cases.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

okay this i can relate to. I ordered a size of pants based off my fatass waist measurement. They arrived. Swear to god they were about 4 inches too big.

The -4 inches replacement should be arriving soon. I can't wait to see if they are tiny as poo poo ad thus accurate or also too big heh.

BTW, i finally got a catte photo of my skitish blacky (Named lucky by the rescue... he used to jump off stairs and stuff and not die. I've yet to rename him like his brother rumbles. He doesn't have as strong a personality.) He's sleepin on the couch next to me... you can't see his retarded big beard (if he has his chin down, it will come up and cover his mouth..it ridiculous.) but ill try to get a pic of that some other time. I lost my camera somehow so this is a phone pic. Apology in advance.

Wendigee fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Feb 10, 2014

MY PALE GOTH SKIN
Nov 28, 2006

meow

toe knee hand posted:

Depends on the store. No, really.

Dry shampoo can go a long way towards undoing the the effects of sleeping on hair. I always manage to make my bangs stick straight up, even though I don't sleep face-down. Dry shampoo lays them back down, then a little bit of product to make them smoother. TADA.

One of the best products I've found for making hair do what you want is Redken 06 Rewind. It's pricey, though. There are mini-tubs of it for like $5 that last a good while if you want to try it. I love it. It makes the bits that I want to stay straight (bangs and side fringe) stay straight, and adds volume to my flat-rear end hair when applied to the roots and used super-sparingly throughout the.. underneath bits of my hair. If it made waves curl more, I wouldn't need any other product, as it's also great for taming frizz. And once it's dried, running a brush through the hair it was applied to makes the hair feel like there's nothing in it.

Wendigee posted:

Nothing comes in inches, unless you're ordering a custom-made piece of clothing. It's the worst. They also assume that the larger the size, the longer the torso or legs. My inseam is freaking 27 inches. I have to hem almost everything.

Fruity Gordo posted:

which just strengthens the argument for the need for designers to cater to different body shapes, not just sizes. when people defend high fashion houses running limited sizes by citing cost i play the world's tiniest violin for an industry built on the backs of slaves and indentured labourers. :qq: they're still actively choosing to target and therefore afford aesthetic primacy to those shapes and sizes of women, and it's an inherently political choice, as all aesthetic choices are under capital.

loving preach it. They pay their models very poorly too, unless the models are famous enough to have clout and say "I'm not appearing in your lovely magazine unless you pay me." While it would take more time and effort to design for different body shapes, the money they would make from doing so would more than cover whatever the cost is.

amarantinesky posted:

Size 10 is plus sized? I thought 12 was like the average in America.

A US 12 is the average.

I'm gonna post another post to avoid super long posts, I need to be checking this thread every ten minutes, apparently.

MY PALE GOTH SKIN fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 4, 2014

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
Cat was scared of walking dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
My neighbor is practicing the flute

• Locked thread