Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

So tired of this. I don’t personally give a rip. I am just tired of having the sports media and every media dominated by this. I miss the days pre-2008 where news was news, sports was sports, and the two rarely intersected.

44 posted on 02/09/2014 6:22:35 PM PST by ilgipper (Obama is proving that very bad ideas can be wrapped up in pretty words)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Yes, the sports media is dominated by homosexual athletes coming out. Athletes such as...

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

quote:

To: dfwgator
“I could see a quarterback going, “Here, just have the ball just don’t touch me.”

They should make him wear special gloves so that he doesn’t scratch someone and give them AIDS

42 posted on 2/9/2014 9:19:51 PM by Figment
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]
Freep treating AIDS like cooties :allears::allears::allears::allears:

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

quote:

To: dfwgator
“I could see a quarterback going, “Here, just have the ball just don’t touch me.”

They should make him wear special gloves so that he doesn’t scratch someone and give them AIDS

42 posted on 2/9/2014 9:19:51 PM by Figment
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 36 | View Replies]

If any coach thought that might actually happen, he would be an instant no.1 draft pick.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

quote:

To: massmike
So...what? Who are you?? Just a nobody playing something that owners will pay millions to you, for what?? Curing Cancer?? No playing football...
Mr Sam, most don't give a F about you... I never heard of you

35 posted on 2/9/2014 9:13:24 PM by ExCTCitizen (2014: The Year of DEAD RINOS)

Man they're REALLY hating the types of behavior the free market rewards lately.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Did they also melt down about Marcus Smart shoving that old white guy in the stands?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Poonerman posted:

Yes, the sports media is dominated by homosexual athletes coming out. Athletes such as...

To be fair, there was Jason Collins, who dominated the media for a week or two until everybody realized he was not good and old.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
And that was a long and trying time for all of America. Now, let me tell you more about the horrible treatment of Tim Tebow at the hands of the notoriously homoleftist NFL :words:

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

quote:

Sort of like what happened here:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

nachos posted:

Did they also melt down about Marcus Smart shoving that old white guy in the stands?

I actually can't find a thread on it. It'll happen once the news makes the rounds tomorrow. That's going to be a really ugly thread :(

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
I keep waiting for Freep to discover castefootball.us -- the site that argues that white skill position players are victims of discrimination.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

skaboomizzy posted:

I keep waiting for Freep to discover castefootball.us -- the site that argues that white skill position players are victims of discrimination.

Haha holy poo poo this website.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Here are some out-of-context quotes from a variety of threads to start your week off right:

quote:

Beatlemania? Beatlemania is simply the result a neurological phenomena. When a male and his voice voice goes through an electric amplifier it has a direct effect on the midbrain of receptive women of child bearing age. It stimulates a tremendous almost hysterical need to copulate with the singer. Beatlemania and the behavior of women at rock concerts is best understood in that context.

15 posted on Sunday, February 09, 2014 10:57:23 PM by allendale

quote:

I saw him in the latest hunger games. My kids dragged me. It was a horrid film, disgusting story, little redeeming issues. Made worse only by the appearance of this wretch of a person at the end

He had the most snide atheist proud sneer and his presence made the movie instantly and irretrievably confusing

Megan Kelly showed a clip of him. He was screaming the f word Don’t know what her point was but there he was screaming the f word

Then there’s a clip of him marching around with a wool cap on unshaven disgusting slap him grin with a teenage girl looking disgusted, self conscious, amused and horrified. All at the same time and this creep shows absolutely no interest in the extreme disturbance of his companion

He has brought up the subject of drug addiction in this drug addicted country well on its way to total dependency, talking about how not working is good while we’re stealing money from our children , and, which, after the last presidential election turnout or more apropos, tge last election contenders, is a long overdue conversation

But rest in peace I cannot understand the interest in this disputable character

21 posted on Sunday, February 09, 2014 10:11:42 PM by stanne

quote:

“Why are my posts about Maureen Dowd being deleted? Was posting a picture of Katherine Zeta-Jones now forbidden?”

Maybe you should start posting Dallas Cowboy cheerleaders in swimsuits and I’m sure your pics won’t get deleted..maybe copied ;)

11 posted on Sunday, February 09, 2014 10:14:23 PM by max americana (fired liberals in our company last election, and I laughed while they cried (true story))

quote:

My theory is Yoko was in on it.

Perhaps John had an epiphany, and as some suggest, actually liked Reagan, and was about to denounce most of the stuff he said in the past.

Of course Yoko would realize if that were the case, it would be better to bump off John and keep his legacy as it was.

I have no proof, but his death seemed a bit “Convenient” for her.

58 posted on Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:27:23 PM by dfwgator

quote:

I’m not interested in intelligent aliens. They would just be an obstacle or a threat.

A "Threat" is what I'm worried about. Especially from those *more* intelligent.

You don't try to communicate with the ants in your driveway. Or, frankly, worry about them, unless they try to come into the house. Then they become an issue, and get exterminated.
11 posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 9:37:35 AM by wbill

quote:

Think of how many issues would have never been heard about if somebody did not take a picture and post it on the internet.

The whole Abu Grabe(sp?) prison scandal comes to mind. Some dumb a$$ soldier had to take pictures of the dude with a dog collar around his neck and post it on the internet.

11 posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 9:45:29 AM by woodbutcher1963

quote:

I gave up on Coke when they started flogging that “Save the Polar Bears” crap.

31 posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 9:37:54 AM by DuncanWaring (The Lord uses the good ones; the bad ones use the Lord.)

quote:

I personally think we should try to repeal the 17th FIRST.

IMHO, that keeps the lid on things and won’t allow a riot. And,as the Senate gets back to normal, things will change for the better.

There are more RED states than blue, and within the red states, the state houses and senates are mostly red.

Repealing the 17th would yank the teeth out of the high density population centers that are so sickeningly ratz.

30 posted on Sunday, February 09, 2014 10:24:25 AM by ConradofMontferrat ( According to mudslimz, my handle is a HATE CRIME. And I HOPE they don't like it.)

quote:

Man am I tired of social engineering shoved in my face via ads

Interracial is foremost now but at least its not just tried and true blondie swoons for black Adonis..... the egg lipstick mulatto gal is actually Hemmingsly fetching but so hamfistedly obvious

Gay

Environment

Anti Christian

Yarmulke meets Burka?

Anti Gun

More Gay crap

Political viewpoints

Advertisers are same gene pool as sports writers and fashion editors and MSNBC drones

1984 and Brave New World was feared to be fascist nationalism enforced order

But look at it...an anti Christian anti white western culture deconstruction that elevates diversity.... multiculturalism ..homosexuality and earth veneration as the new religious cornerstones

I never ever thought it would be like this

44 posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 9:56:04 AM by wardaddy (Bus to Shreveport... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYF682WYRtw&feature=youtube_gdata_)

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
Truly America's downfall was the societal acceptance of miscegenation :qq:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

SedanChair posted:

Everyone knows homosexualism gives bonuses to strength and agility.

But it really kills your Con and Saving throw vs. Diseases.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

quote:

Beatlemania? Beatlemania is simply the result a neurological phenomena. When a male and his voice voice goes through an electric amplifier it has a direct effect on the midbrain of receptive women of child bearing age. It stimulates a tremendous almost hysterical need to copulate with the singer. Beatlemania and the behavior of women at rock concerts is best understood in that context.

15 posted on Sunday, February 09, 2014 10:57:23 PM by allendale

Poe's law fuckin' me pretty hard on this one.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

quote:

egg lipstick mulatto gal

OK, this is an amazing turn of phrase, like LF username level good.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

quote:

quote:
To: 2ndDivisionVet
Smells like Germany in the1930’s.

50 posted on 2/9/2014 8:31:37 AM by Dr. Ursus
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

First, they will ban cigarettes at CVS, and then, obviously, this will lead to murdering 12 million Jews and starting a world war.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

[quote]I
31 posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 9:37:54 AM by DuncanWaring (The Lord uses the good ones; the bad ones use the Lord.)

There is no :ironicat: big enough for this tag line given the site that it's on.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

quote:

Think of how many issues would have never been heard about if somebody did not take a picture and post it on the internet.

The whole Abu Grabe(sp?) prison scandal comes to mind. Some dumb a$$ soldier had to take pictures of the dude with a dog collar around his neck and post it on the internet.

11 posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 9:45:29 AM by woodbutcher1963

It's okay for human rights violations to happen as long as I don't know about them!

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

quote:

I’m not interested in intelligent aliens. They would just be an obstacle or a threat.

A "Threat" is what I'm worried about. Especially from those *more* intelligent.

You don't try to communicate with the ants in your driveway. Or, frankly, worry about them, unless they try to come into the house. Then they become an issue, and get exterminated.
11 posted on Monday, February 10, 2014 9:37:35 AM by wbill

To be fair to this guy, both Stephen Hawking and Neil deGrasse Tyson have said the same thing.

Tyson said it something like this (in my own paraphrasing):

Chimps can make, at most, simple tools. Our kindergardeners can also make simple tools, and we're less than 1% genetically different from chimps. The chances of intelligent life evolving exactly as intelligent as we are is absurdly small. If that 1% is the difference between sharpened sticks, and the Hubble Space Telescope, then what can we offer to a race who's children could build a Hubble Space Telescope? Would we be like groundhogs to be cleared away so they could build their development in this neighborhood?

Stephen Hawking famously suggested that, perhaps, we hide from other life. Anything that might notice us might only see us as a raw resource to harvest: http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2010/04/stephen-hawking-update-alien-contact-not-a-wise-idea-a-sunday-feature.html To be fair, the only observational data for intelligent life is ourselves, and this is pretty much exactly how we act. We don't exactly try to talk to the rabbits in the fields. We either eat them, or pelt them, or remove them, or not care about them at all.

ColdSnickersBar fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 10, 2014

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

ColdSnickersBar posted:

Stephen Hawking famously suggested that, perhaps, we hide from other life. Anything that might notice us might only see us as a raw resource to harvest: http://www.dailygalaxy.com/my_weblog/2010/04/stephen-hawking-update-alien-contact-not-a-wise-idea-a-sunday-feature.html To be fair, the only observational data for intelligent life is ourselves, and this is pretty much exactly how we act. We don't exactly try to talk to the rabbits in the fields. We either eat them, or pelt them, or remove them, or not care about them at all.
While there's a fair point that we only have one sample case for 'a civilization which creates radio astronomy equipment,' I don't think that generalizing from the behavior of humanity under late-stage industrial capitalism in the last fifty years is necessarily an absolute case for "the true nature of humanity." Humans have a history of warfare and exploitation of one another, but that is not the only possible route.

However, isolation and monitoring of the Freep populace by the Federation until such time as they develop warp drive or annihilate themselves seems like a solid idea. :v:

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
There is a certain presumption that any species with a higher intelligence than us would have a basic ability to recognize sentience, though there really is no reason to believe that intelligence and morality correlate.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Nessus posted:

While there's a fair point that we only have one sample case for 'a civilization which creates radio astronomy equipment,' I don't think that generalizing from the behavior of humanity under late-stage industrial capitalism in the last fifty years is necessarily an absolute case for "the true nature of humanity." Humans have a history of warfare and exploitation of one another, but that is not the only possible route.

However, isolation and monitoring of the Freep populace by the Federation until such time as they develop warp drive or annihilate themselves seems like a solid idea. :v:

It's a shame they're annihilating themselves with bread sticks and old age instead of something fun.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Pong Daddy posted:

There is a certain presumption that any species with a higher intelligence than us would have a basic ability to recognize sentience, though there really is no reason to believe that intelligence and morality correlate.

Or that our view of morality is objective and aliens couldn't have developed a system where it would be perfectly fine to wipe us out, whether we're sentient or not.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

change my name posted:

Or that our view of morality is objective and aliens couldn't have developed a system where it would be perfectly fine to wipe us out, whether we're sentient or not.
While this is possible the converse is also true: it is possible they have developed systems of morality where they would bankrupt themselves (metaphorically) to try to aid us or to uplift us, possibly in their own image. Or they might try to convert us to their religion. Or they might consider us the manifestation of the prophecies of the Molten Ice Gods.

I think these things are fine thought experiments but often turn into Rorschach tests more than anything. We won't know better until we meet 'em, if we ever do.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

Well, the root of both Tyson and Hawking's points was that they're almost certainly not the same level of intelligence as us, and could very easily be on a higher level than we are. If they are, then it's possible that: we'd have nothing to offer them; that we'd be totally unsurprising and not special to them; and that they'd see us as either something to ignore, or something to sweep away, or something to exploit.

Alternately, I'm pretty firmly convinced that if we find a creature out there that is intelligent, but not as much as we, we will certainly exploit them. We've done it to ourselves in every single circumstance. We have never, in fact, done anything else in that situation. In fact, it's arguable that chimps, from the previous post, are intelligent, and we just see them as another animal to either ignore, sweep away, or exploit. There's no reason to think we'd do anything else if we found some kind of space neanderthal or space dolphin. If they were not standing on anything valuable, we might ignore them. If they had something valuable, we'd very quickly find a way to sweep them away or lead them off into service and then take what we wanted.

ColdSnickersBar fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 10, 2014

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

quote:

My theory is Yoko was in on it.

Perhaps John had an epiphany, and as some suggest, actually liked Reagan, and was about to denounce most of the stuff he said in the past.

Of course Yoko would realize if that were the case, it would be better to bump off John and keep his legacy as it was.

I have no proof, but his death seemed a bit “Convenient” for her.

58 posted on Sunday, February 09, 2014 11:27:23 PM by dfwgator

sorry for the reddit-y seeming image macro, but I can't fully express my need to laugh at that comment with words alone.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Freepers: Why are my posts about Maureen Dowd being deleted?

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

ColdSnickersBar posted:

First, they will ban cigarettes at CVS, and then, obviously, this will lead to murdering 12 million Jews and starting a world war.

12 million Jews? I know the total number of people killed in the holocaust is not 100% certain, but Ive never heard more than 6 million Jews, will the other 5-6 million being everyone else

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

12 million Jews? I know the total number of people killed in the holocaust is not 100% certain, but Ive never heard more than 6 million Jews, will the other 5-6 million being everyone else
Well Obama's double Hitler so he'd obviously do a double Holocaust.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

ColdSnickersBar posted:

Well, the root of both Tyson and Hawking's points was that they're almost certainly not the same level of intelligence as us, and could very easily be on a higher level than we are. If they are, then it's possible that: we'd have nothing to offer them; that we'd be totally unsurprising and not special to them; and that they'd see us as either something to ignore, or something to sweep away, or something to exploit.

Alternately, I'm pretty firmly convinced that if we find a creature out there that is intelligent, but not as much as we, we will certainly exploit them. We've done it to ourselves in every single circumstance. We have never, in fact, done anything else in that situation. In fact, it's arguable that chimps, from the previous post, are intelligent, and we just see them as another animal to either ignore, sweep away, or exploit. There's no reason to think we'd do anything else if we found some kind of space neanderthal or space dolphin. If they were not standing on anything valuable, we might ignore them. If they had something valuable, we'd very quickly find a way to sweep them away or lead them off into service and then take what we wanted.

The problem is that way too much of our speculation about contact with alien lifeforms is informed by the paradigms of the Columbian exchange, casting either ourselves or the aliens in the position of the Europeans and then either believing that there will be a repeat of (or actions that are making up for) what occurred to the indigenous people of the New World. This is obviously a bad paradigm in which to view any encounter with alien life, because any such life will be infinitely more alien than that paradigm can imagine. I think Steven Millhauser's New Yorker story The Alien Invasion is a good example of the kind of completely left-field thing a potential alien contact could be.

Anyways, gently caress freepers, am I right?

mastervj
Feb 25, 2011
Well, we all will have to admit that if aliens are like freepers, and they are indeed more powerful... we'd be hosed.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

e_angst posted:

The problem is that way too much of our speculation about contact with alien lifeforms is informed by the paradigms of the Columbian exchange, casting either ourselves or the aliens in the position of the Europeans and then either believing that there will be a repeat of (or actions that are making up for) what occurred to the indigenous people of the New World. This is obviously a bad paradigm in which to view any encounter with alien life, because any such life will be infinitely more alien than that paradigm can imagine. I think Steven Millhauser's New Yorker story The Alien Invasion is a good example of the kind of completely left-field thing a potential alien contact could be.

Anyways, gently caress freepers, am I right?

Let's split the difference and hope we meet hyperintelligent aliens who are conveniently genocided by our disgusting diseases.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Well maybe it will be like Childhood's End :)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Everyone knows homosexualism gives bonuses to strength and agility.

If I'm venerating Satan by seeking out man-butt-sex, I'd better be getting something in return. Quid pro quo and all.

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

I still don't know why people think Earth resources would be worth the problems of the gravity well. Presumably aliens with interstellar capacity would have figured out space harvesting by then.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Nessus posted:

Well Obama's double Hitler so he'd obviously do a double Holocaust.

It's even worse than that: he's double-secret black Hitler.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Little Blackfly posted:

I still don't know why people think Earth resources would be worth the problems of the gravity well. Presumably aliens with interstellar capacity would have figured out space harvesting by then.

Not to mention there are an infinite number of other planets to chow down on. If aliens are going to bother harvesting anything on Earth, it'll be the life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I think that it's kind of impossible to even determine what an alien species would be like if they reached that advanced of a level of civilization. If they're like humans, they'd probably see humans and say "aww, lookit how cute they are" and go away so as not to destroy us. But, let's say it was an artificial intelligence that was built by some other civilization, then I think we'd have to be worried about whether it would care about us more than it would be interested in building a Dyson sphere around the sun.

Humans have a hard time understanding how humans from other cultures think, and we're all running extremely similar hardware in our skulls. Trying to imagine how an alien life-form would think is pretty much impossible (in my opinion).

• Locked thread