Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Throwdown posted:

I am currently working my way through the worst chili I have ever had. A friend invited me over earlier to try what he made for a chili cook off and my god is it bad. Olives, onions that are nearly raw, whole pods with stems and seeds, ground beef, beans. What's sucks is I can't be a dick and say its poo poo so I am trying to grin and bear it. Why do people insist on adding so much to what is such a great and simple dish on its own?
Friends don't let friends think their lovely chili is good.

Also yes, is this pre-cookoff? Did he specifically invite you to taste his chili before the competition? Because that would make not telling him even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ordered some dried chilis online since there was a better selection and got some mulato's. What sort of flavour and heat do they have? Was planning on a mix of them and Ancho/Guajillo/Habanero/de Arbol/Chipotle all dried this time.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Illinois Smith posted:

Friends don't let friends think their lovely chili is good.

Also yes, is this pre-cookoff? Did he specifically invite you to taste his chili before the competition? Because that would make not telling him even worse.

It was post, he just mentioned he lost but he was still really proud of it. I snuck advice in as much as I could without coming flat out and telling him that it was awful.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Convexed posted:

Going in for my first tomatoeless, beanless chili. Here goes.

(I live in the UK - the waste land of chili. You'd laugh at what goes for chili 'round here. :()

You must become a chili evangelist to your countrymen

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Throwdown posted:

It was post, he just mentioned he lost but he was still really proud of it. I snuck advice in as much as I could without coming flat out and telling him that it was awful.

Make a batch of real chili and share it with him.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

You must become a chili evangelist to your countrymen

Don't worry. I'm passing on the good word to Queen and country man alike.

That chili was delicious. I got my hands on some chipotles and ancho peppers that made all the difference.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Make a batch of real chili and share it with him.

I plan on it this coming week.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
When should I add spices to the chili? I've been adding them about an hour before I take the final thing off the burner but it still seems to me like they lose a lot of oomph over that time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mirconium posted:

When should I add spices to the chili? I've been adding them about an hour before I take the final thing off the burner but it still seems to me like they lose a lot of oomph over that time.

I add mine at the very beginning, then slowly season to taste over time. If anything the reduction enhances their potency.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Mirconium posted:

You're supposed to add spices right at the start. fry your spice powder in the oil for a bit before you even add the onions.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

By "spice powder" you mean "chili peppers and some cumin" right?

Also, the rule of thumb is that dried herbs and spices are added towards the beginning of cooking, ideally in some hot fat, while fresh herbs and spices get chucked in towards the end.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
How do you guys feel about panades?

I've noticed that most of the time when working with ground meats, America's Test Kitchen will work in a panade.

The ratio is 1lb meat, one slice white bread, 2 tablespoons whole milk. Mash milk and bread together with a fork into a paste then work it into the meat with your hands. After that do what you were planning to do.

I tried it with a basic chili last night, and the ground beef was noticeably more tender and less chewy than I've been used to.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I've noticed that most of the time when working with ground meats, America's Test Kitchen will work in a panade.

The ratio is 1lb meat, one slice white bread, 2 tablespoons whole milk. Mash milk and bread together with a fork into a paste then work it into the meat with your hands. After that do what you were planning to do.

I tried it with a basic chili last night, and the ground beef was noticeably more tender and less chewy than I've been used to.

I don't understand. Why is there ground beef? I thought you were making chilli?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Lord Bude posted:

I don't understand. Why is there ground beef? I thought you were making chilli?

I did, and I used beans too. :clint:

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

I did, and I used beans too. :clint:

Beans are ok.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Iron Crowned posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9c1QYx9ris

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Iron Crowned posted:

I do that for frying/baking meatballs (adding other spices and cheese and what not) but it doesn't seem like it would make a difference in chili where it's cooked for a long time.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
I want my chili to be spicier. In the past I have toasted/seeded/rehydrated mild peppers but want to incorporate some habaneros and serranos and chipotle in adobo. My grocer offers fresh habs and serranos. What's the procedure here? Put on gloves and remove stems/seeds and blend with the rehydrated peppers?

Some people discuss just putting whole peppers in the chili, do they eventually lose their heat enough that if you take a bite it won't ruin your day?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Try the chipotles in adobo. It's a ton of flavor and the heat can be tailored by how much sauce you add.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Hollis Brown posted:

I want my chili to be spicier. In the past I have toasted/seeded/rehydrated mild peppers but want to incorporate some habaneros and serranos and chipotle in adobo. My grocer offers fresh habs and serranos. What's the procedure here? Put on gloves and remove stems/seeds and blend with the rehydrated peppers?

Some people discuss just putting whole peppers in the chili, do they eventually lose their heat enough that if you take a bite it won't ruin your day?

I usually just remove the stems and slice the pods so they'll fall apart during cooking. The heat goes out into the meat and generally only intensifies with cooking time, as the excess water reduces out. If you even have to ask that last question you probably don't want habs in any sort of quantity you can taste, they will gently caress you up.

Seconding the chipotles in adobo, I like to use a whole can to 5 or 6 pounds of meat.

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Alright i'll just try a can of chipotle in adobo for my 5lb of meat recipe. I like the flavor of habanero hot sauces and thought I could handle it if I learned how to incorporate them properly. Maybe another time.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Hollis Brown posted:

Habaneros really aren't that hot. About one per pound of meat makes a reasonably warming chilli.

If you've got access to lots of cheap fresh habaneros, try drying them in the oven and grinding them up in a pestle and mortar. You can make your own habanero powder and add as much or as little as you like! And you don't really need gloves or anything like that as long as you wash your hands afterwards.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT
I always just remove the seeds and stem, mince the habaneros and add them slightly after the onions and garlic. As long as you chop them really finely it works well.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
You don't really need to dice your chiles very finely. After five hours of cooking, they'll be mostly disintegrated and their heat will have homogenized to the rest of the chili.

Then again, I usually use 10 jalapanos, 10 habaneros, and a can of chipotles for a five pound recipe.

Out of curiousity, has anyone ever made LBJ's chili recipe?

It was apparently well-loved. I kind of cringe as I read it though.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Scientastic posted:

And you don't really need gloves or anything like that as long as you wash your hands.
you're a liar and a dick

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Illinois Smith posted:

you're a liar and a dick
either your soap sucks or your handwashing technique does. the spiciness in chilis is carried via an oil, best if you use something with greasefighters so it's not left on your hands.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Illinois Smith posted:

you're a liar and a dick

MasterFugu posted:

either your soap sucks or your handwashing technique does. the spiciness in chilis is carried via an oil, best if you use something with greasefighters so it's not left on your hands.

Or you can just not fap while you're making chilli. I know it's exciting, but I'm sure you can just record the process and fap to it later, if you really can't help yourself.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Illinois Smith posted:

you're a liar and a dick

I use habaneros all the time without wearing gloves. Maybe you should just learn to wash your hands properly?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i've washed my hands thoroughly after handling only serranos or jalapenos and it still burned when i picked my nose afterwards, no matter how many times i washed my hands

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Don't pick your nose, hth

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
I'm thinking of using beef shank next time I make chili. Anyone ever do that?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

FaradayCage posted:

I'm thinking of using beef shank next time I make chili. Anyone ever do that?

Shank is incredibly tasty, meaty, and tender when slow-cooked. It's perfect for dishes like chili, where you simmer all day, because the collagen content is very very high. I haven't used shank specifically, but it should work perfectly. A little google research suggests that other people have had success with shank chili.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Shank is incredibly tasty, meaty, and tender when slow-cooked. It's perfect for dishes like chili, where you simmer all day, because the collagen content is very very high. I haven't used shank specifically, but it should work perfectly. A little google research suggests that other people have had success with shank chili.

Awesome. Shank is about $4/lb compared to $6/lb for stew meat. I think I'm single-handedly responsible for my grocer regularly stocking it now.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Also it's a great word. Shank.

Say it a few times.

Shank.

Shank.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Christmas Miracle posted:

i've washed my hands thoroughly after handling only serranos or jalapenos and it still burned when i picked my nose afterwards, no matter how many times i washed my hands
This but with habaneros and trying to put in my contacts 10 hours later and burning the gently caress out of my eyes.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 16, 2014

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
All the soap in my place is this all natural crap, and it does gently caress all for getting rid of any sort of oils. It makes doing dishes a huge pain in the rear end. It sure as hell doesn't get rid of habenero oils

But I've found washing my hands with vinegar helps a lot. Basically wash my hands with vinegar like it was soap, and then use you know, actual soap. Saves costs on having to buy gloves, and saves me from going blind because three hours ago I touched a habanero and now I rubbed my eye.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Have you considered buying soap that actually works? It might make dishes and all that other stuff easier to clean.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The entire point of soap is to act as a chemical bridge between oil and water. Getting rid of oils is the definition of what soap is supposed to do.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Sometimes I like to add a little soap to my chili. It helps to intensify the flavors and add that "special something".

Soapchat ITT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The entire point of soap is to act as a chemical bridge between oil and water. Getting rid of oils is the definition of what soap is supposed to do.

that doesn't mean it works 100% of the time in practice against any compound in any oil on any surface. capsaicin can stick to your hands for several hours even if you wash a couple of times with soap and water, possibly because it absorbs into the skin of some people's hands/fingers.