Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

pik_d posted:

It's Alfa, not Alpha.

Autocorrect :downs:. It even turned my proper "its" to "it's".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
When Clarkson drove into the lake, I was figuring he was doing the usual cocking about.

I was not expecting what happened.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

inklesspen posted:

When Clarkson drove into the lake, I was figuring he was doing the usual cocking about.

I think that was scripted, it wasn't an accident at all!

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

inklesspen posted:

That was beautiful. So was the P1.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh my god the p1.
Looked sketchy as gently caress going round spa like. I've done that circuit in the wet in something with a third of the power and it was bad enough.
Lame they didn't do a lap however. Dammit.

eeS.
Nov 8, 2005

STUPID AS HELL!!

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Lame they didn't do a lap however. Dammit.

Yeah, the lack of some good Stig lap times so far is a little annoying.

I can see why they didn't take the P1 out on the track if they're waiting for the Porsche in a few weeks time, but they could have at least gave the Stig a go in the Alfa.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Also McLaren care about building quick cars and 4wd really isn't the way to go. Pagani and McLaren know wassup.
AWD isn't the way to go because of coolness or speed? If it's latter, Porsche, Lamborghini and Nissan would like a word with you.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

AWD isn't the way to go because of coolness or speed? If it's latter, Porsche, Lamborghini and Nissan would like a word with you.

The McLaren will be faster than the porsche. What's the torque split on that anyway?
Lambos are a bad example imo, they aren't good around a track. Their quickest cars are RWD.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
drat, that was a proper Top Gear episode. Great challenge at the start, nice bit with James in the middle, and great review of the P1. Loved the music too--heard some Nine Inch Nails (probably the Johnny Cash cover) and Blade Runner soundtrack. Cinematography was stellar as usual.

Only thing I was a little surprised at was Jeremy not having a life jacket on during the water scenes. Is the Gibb more stable than a normal jetski?

Cervix-A-Lot
Sep 29, 2006
Cheeeeesy

mod sassinator posted:

drat, that was a proper Top Gear episode. Great challenge at the start, nice bit with James in the middle, and great review of the P1. Loved the music too--heard some Nine Inch Nails (probably the Johnny Cash cover) and Blade Runner soundtrack. Cinematography was stellar as usual.

Only thing I was a little surprised at was Jeremy not having a life jacket on during the water scenes. Is the Gibb more stable than a normal jetski?

I was surprised he didn't have one either. And jetskis are very stable.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

mod sassinator posted:

It wasn't the Cash version. But it was Hurt.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery

Tommychu posted:

Looks like a ricey body kit for the Elise to me.
And built like a cheap body kit too. http://www.flickr.com/photos/30739575@N06/sets/72157640040038786/

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Hope the rest of the season is more like episode 2 instead of episode 1 because that one was a ton better and I think maybe even pretty great.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Easy Mac posted:

I was surprised he didn't have one either. And jetskis are very stable.

Not the sit down ones I've been on--if you turn too quick they will happily roll you over right into the water. Usually this happens when you're as far away from the shore as possible and the engine will flood so you can't restart it. Ask me how I know...

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Wow that was a truly good episode.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

If you're on the throttle on a jetski and there's nothing in front of you you're fine. Stability quickly becomes a big problem when forces that are not 'engine thrust vs. water drag' start acting on you. That's why I'll take a small-midsize boat over a jetski any day, going balls-out is fun but I'd like the option to either go balls-out or just cruise around without ending up upside down and unable to breathe.

Also, Trent/NIN wrote Hurt. Cash covered it. Just wanted to clear that up, carry on.

e:
heh, just looked at some specs and yeah it's pretty much a poorly-built Elise but with some sort of fuckoff insane Italian DIG motor instead of a good ol' reliable Toyota ZZ behind you. But gently caress it I can't wait to see them anyway.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Feb 10, 2014

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No one said Johnny Cash wrote it.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Tommychu posted:

Looks like a ricey body kit for the Elise to me.

I was surprised that they made it through the entire 4C segment without mentioning the Elise once. Because the 4C has a ton of features that the Elise and basically no other major-market car (aside from other Lotuses) shares, like no power steering, rinky-dink e-brake, non-openable front hood, etc. It's like, Alfa must have had the Elise specifically as a bogey, but Top Gear couldn't even bring it up?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

No one said Johnny Cash wrote it.

Oops, yeah I misread that post you quoted. That misconception is so drat common it's a knee-jerk reaction for me to correct it.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 10, 2014

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Really hoping we get to see Jennifer in a few weeks.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Most mid-engined race cars seem to have a rear-weight bias because (???), a front differential and axles is not something you want to carry around a circuit for 12/24 hours.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Feb 10, 2014

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Most mid-engined race cars seem to have a rear-weight bias because (???), a front differential and axles is not something you want to carry around a circuit for 12/24 hours.

I think some of that is for balance. In a corner the front wheels are typically do more work than the rears. If it was symmetrical, I bet it'd produce a little bit of push / understeer.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Technically the two outside wheels are doing the most work in a corner. The inside front wheel should (ideally) be doing nothing of consequence one way or the other.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

This is good, but it can't match the Great Wall.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

A great episode. Love the steam coming off the P1's exhaust. Looks like a pure nutter car.

I don't think people here get Alfas - they are always badly built, but with passion. It'll fall apart, but you'll love the exhaust note even if it is spewing exhaust into the interior.

sigtrap
Apr 14, 2002

MOIST
But isn't this Alfa a bit different than what they've done before? Here you have what looks like a more obvious attempt to make a cheap, light, plastic screamer. But, if it's just a more expensive Elise, then really what are you buying?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

RE: Hurt, Trent Reznor may have written it, but here's his thoughts on the Cash version:

Trent Reznor posted:

I pop the video in, and wow... Tears welling, silence, goose-bumps... Wow. [I felt like] I just lost my girlfriend, because that song isn't mine anymore.

Also, was it just me, or did it seem when the Corvette was on the monitor like Jeremy wanted to poke the rear end? :mmmhmm:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

I don't think people here get Alfas - they are always badly built, but with passion. It'll fall apart, but you'll love the exhaust note even if it is spewing exhaust into the interior.

If by passion you mean a bored Italian who only gives a poo poo about scoring a root with the dark haired waitress with the big tits at the bar, sure.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I believe in most of mainland Europe (not UK) the 4C is about the same price as Elise S and little cheaper than base Cayman. The low fuel consumption of 4C helps a lot in countries where the automotive taxation is based CO2 emissions.

On top gear they stated that it is wider than a Range Rover and made a huge issue about the width. Yes, it is wide compared to an Elise but without mirrors it is 8" (20 cm) narrower than a Range rover and about 2" wider than a 3-series BMW.

2013 Range Rover:
With mirrors: 2.22 m
Without mirrors: 2.07 m

Alfa 4C:
With mirros: 2.09 m
Without mirros: 1.86 m

BMW 3-series E90:
With mirros: 2.03 m
Without mirros: 1.82 m

Lotus Elise S:
With mirros: 1.86 m
Without mirros: 1.72 m

The panel gaps in those (pre-production?) pictures look bad, but I don't see anything wrong with the engine bay pic? I guess it would have been nice if the insides of the panels were painted?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Fucknag posted:

RE: Hurt, Trent Reznor may have written it, but here's his thoughts on the Cash version:

Also, was it just me, or did it seem when the Corvette was on the monitor like Jeremy wanted to poke the rear end? :mmmhmm:

Alfa made of plastic - innovative weight saving design.
Corvette made of plastic - ghastly American design.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

FogHelmut posted:

You Officially Get Top Gear. Congrats.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I think there's a point to be made of Alfa being the first carbon tubbed road car below 200 k€ at 1/4th of that price, (the BMW i3 electric car will soon be cheaper), but the Corvette IS amazing value. Especially in the US.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Because 4wd cars are boring and fail. Essentially the opposite of what an alfa should be. Argh.

No, the best Alfa was awd:

Alfa Romeo 155 DTM by Mark Haverty, on Flickr

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

If by passion you mean a bored Italian who only gives a poo poo about scoring a root with the dark haired waitress with the big tits at the bar, sure.
I... wasn't aware there was another definition of "passion".

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

drgitlin posted:

Wow what a bad opinion!!!

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

DoLittle posted:

The panel gaps in those (pre-production?) pictures look bad, but I don't see anything wrong with the engine bay pic? I guess it would have been nice if the insides of the panels were painted?

I think he was pointing out the horrible over spray in the engine bay pic.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

drgitlin posted:

And the best Italian car of all time was also 4WD - the Lancia Delta HF Integrale

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

HotCanadianChick posted:

And the best Italian car of all time was 4WD - the Lancia Delta HF Integrale the Ferrari F40

Fixed. :colbert:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

What's the race championship winning stats on the F40? Yeah, I don't think so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

HotCanadianChick posted:

What's the race championship winning stats on the F40? Yeah, I don't think so.

The F40 wasn't made to race. It was made to gently caress in on in on in onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin onin on well one of those.