Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Yeah that was a contender for the worst match I've ever seen, and that includes all the poo poo I've seen in Botchamania. David Flair looks like he doesn't even realize he's on camera. Amazing.

Fun Fact: David became WCW United States Champion less than 2 months after that match.

pathetic little tramp posted:

Hahahaha holy poo poo, were all of his matches that cringe-inducing to watch? I love how the crowd pops for Arn Anderson in a "jesus christ someone who knows what he's doing" way.

He became.......slightly less unwatchable as part of his trio with Crowbar and Daffney a year later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I have a theory that Daffney is still out there doing Apartment Wrestling (or whatever Aloisa is up to). There was a rumor on PWTorch that Awesome Kong had gone back to that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
David Flair went on to wrestle in OVW and a few WWE dark matches, but I've never seen any of it (besides the one-off, two-minute job to Undertaker).

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Halloween Jack posted:

David Flair went on to wrestle in OVW and a few WWE dark matches, but I've never seen any of it (besides the one-off, two-minute job to Undertaker).

He was pretty ate up with drug probs at that point IIRC.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

F4W podcast with Lance Storm has a quick look at the expanded Death of WCW. There's a rundown of a horrible Russo worked shoot match from 2000.

Goldberg sandbags Nash on the power and the announcers say he wouldn't go up for the move and was screwing up the finish. Steiner takes the power bomb and the announcers praise him for being a professional and going up for the move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3S48HdUHd0

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

F4W podcast with Lance Storm has a quick look at the expanded Death of WCW. There's a rundown of a horrible Russo worked shoot match from 2000.

Goldberg sandbags Nash on the power and the announcers say he wouldn't go up for the move and was screwing up the finish. Steiner takes the power bomb and the announcers praise him for being a professional and going up for the move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3S48HdUHd0

Which lead to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZtuwjdPJU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

coconono posted:

He was pretty ate up with drug probs at that point IIRC.
Oh, I had no idea he had drug problems. Even if the matches are garbage, I wish I could see some of them. He beat John Cena and Dean Malenko.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I probably won't be around to hype this up tomorrow so I am going to post this now, trying not to post too much.

If you are into everything that made WCW great, the cruiserweights, the nWo angle and the trainwreck quality, you seriously need to pay attention to the Tuesday Nitros. This week the first episode is full of great cruiserweight match ups while the second episode has one of the most infamous segments in WCW history: Roddy Piper introduces his Uncensored team. The only real comparison is the Mick Foley: This is Your Life segment in terms of being a complete and utter trainwreck. The latter is obviously more famous and looked at more fondly, but at their core they are the same kind of thing. On top of that the Macho Man has just ditched Sting and joined the nWo while DDP is making the Diamond Cutter into the hottest thing in wrestling, so you have an idea of what is about to go down. I really hope this stuff generates some discussion because I love this period so much.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I wasn't going to be around tomorrow night, so you made me go look it up. I'm 1 minute in and Schiavone says "The WCW Board of Directors has sanctioned Eric Bischoff to bring a team to Uncensored...".

Wasn't Uncensored's entire deal as a PPV being unsanctioned by the Board of Directors? :psypop:

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012

I don't remember that promo, but I remember that I quit watching WCW sometime during this period. I like to analyze things to their core, so the most basic thing I love about wrestling is that it's incredibly fun to watch. WCW in 2000 wasn't fun at all.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Did WCW have writers in the 90s or did the boys just pitch their idea to whoever was in charge and run with it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bigass Moth posted:

Did WCW have writers in the 90s or did the boys just pitch their idea to whoever was in charge and run with it?

They had some writers in the late 90's, including Bob Mould, lead singer of Husker Du (he even thanked both Kevin Nash and Kevin Sullivan on a solo album he recorded afterwards).

Prior to that, there was a head booker (Dusty, Flair, and Sullivan all had the book at points, with Terry Taylor, Jim Ross and Terry Funk all pitching in at one point or another). However, Hogan had creative control. So that limited them a lot.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder what Hogan booking would look like if the only rule was he never appeared on screen.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

greatn posted:

I wonder what Hogan booking would look like if the only rule was he never appeared on screen.

He'd just push his friends instead.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Probably not good since we wouldn't get to see the largest arms in the world.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

greatn posted:

Nash would have visions of him in his dressing room mirror and squash Goldberg with the power of Hulkamania.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Was Hogan the first wrestler to get that much creative control in an organization? Is that something that has happened since?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

haljordan posted:

Was Hogan the first wrestler to get that much creative control in an organization? Is that something that has happened since?

He probably had comparable control with his TNA deal. In the WWE, I think Vince would like to avoid the issue he had with Bret, so I think now if people ask for creative control, he probably has it down as "input".

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

He probably had comparable control with his TNA deal. In the WWE, I think Vince would like to avoid the issue he had with Bret, so I think now if people ask for creative control, he probably has it down as "input".

But Hogan had the right to say "I'm not doing this angle" or "gently caress that, here's how this match is gonna end", right? Yea that doesn't seem like a recipe for total disaster or anything.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

haljordan posted:

But Hogan had the right to say "I'm not doing this angle" or "gently caress that, here's how this match is gonna end", right? Yea that doesn't seem like a recipe for total disaster or anything.

Pretty much, yeah.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

They had some writers in the late 90's, including Bob Mould, lead singer of Husker Du (he even thanked both Kevin Nash and Kevin Sullivan on a solo album he recorded afterwards).

Prior to that, there was a head booker (Dusty, Flair, and Sullivan all had the book at points, with Terry Taylor, Jim Ross and Terry Funk all pitching in at one point or another). However, Hogan had creative control. So that limited them a lot.

What did Wayne from the Wonder Years do?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

I think he was a producer, actually.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

haljordan posted:

Well, you had territories where the owner was also a working wrestler.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

Well, you had territories where the owner was also a working wrestler.

Say what you will about Hogan but he at least wasn't pushing himself as champ at age 55 like old Gagne.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Say what you will about Hogan but he at least wasn't pushing himself as champ at age 55 like old Gagne.

Hulk Hogan was 50 years old during his last world championship, actually.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Actually Hulk Hogan should have won the title in TNA last year because it would have been the most interesting thing they could have done with the main event scene.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Times like this, I wish someone independent would do a documentary on the AWA/Gagne family. I haven't watched the WWE compilation/doc, but I don't know that I have any interest in watching the same people from every WWE doc give out pre-approved opinions.

Then again, now and then, they let the guys go - I was surprised how freely Bischoff/Hayes/etc. complained about Luger on that one Roundtable, then they made fun of Foley when he said he liked him.

"Lex let Mick use his gym for free, of course he's going to say he likes him!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Pinstripe Hourglass posted:

Hulk Hogan was 50 years old during his last world championship, actually.

Was that his WWE run? That was equally Vince trying to capitalize on crowd reactions, as much as it was Hulkster saying "one more run, brother".

Like, if Hogan was getting lukewarm reactions I doubt he would have gotten that run.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Red posted:

Hr was an producer and PR guy. The only writing thing I can remember that he gets some credit for is coming up with the LWO.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Pretty much, yeah.

Did anyone have recourse, for example if they don't like Hogan's ending or having to work with the guy in the first place can they just say they aren't doing it (while risking the ire of promoters) or did creative control give him carte blanche to micromanage the entire roster with or without their agreement?

I only ask because I did read that they really wanted Jericho for the nWo and he wasn't interested, and we all saw how that ended up.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

haljordan posted:

I would imagine Andre had some sort of creative control anywhere he went.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Probably not good since we wouldn't get to see the largest arms in the world.

Why? What was Hogan's beef with Scott Steiner?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Bigass Moth posted:

I would imagine Andre had some sort of creative control anywhere he went.

Yes, his creative control was "gently caress you I'm Andre"

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

ZDar Fan posted:

Why? What was Hogan's beef with Scott Steiner?

Ah, I think I see your confusion. What he meant to say was, "Probably not good since we wouldn't get to see the largest arms in the world, brother."

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.

Q_res posted:

Ah, I think I see your confusion. What he meant to say was, "Probably not good since we wouldn't get to see the largest arms in the world, brother."

As opposed to "PEAKS ON TOP OF PEAKS CURLS FOR THE GIRLS HUH"

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Scott Steiner, in the later years of WCW, had effective creative control because everyone backstage was terrified of him. Rightly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He still put his brother Rick over. That was a fun match with ridiculous guest referee buff bagwell shenanigans.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

haljordan posted:

Jeff Jarrett in TNA. Triple H since he married Steph. These are almost plain old nepotism, though.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Jeff Jarrett in TNA. Triple H since he married Steph. These are almost plain old nepotism, though.

IIRC Kevin Nash had some sort of creative control in his later WCW contracts. No idea if it was Hogan-level though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Angular Landbury posted:

IIRC Kevin Nash had some sort of creative control in his later WCW contracts. No idea if it was Hogan-level though.

I don't think he had a creative control clause, he was just booker for a while so he used it to put himself over.