Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How can it be anti-capitalist if it's basically a giant ad for Legos and Lego products? Good thinking there Fox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Yes, the main bad guy does look like Mitt Romney. Then you watch the whole movie and go "oh."

Jesus.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

How can it be anti-capitalist if it's basically a giant ad for Legos and Lego products? Good thinking there Fox.

Danes :argh:

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

According to Fox News, any movie that portrays a businessperson as greedy or villainous and lacking the glittering halo they think all CEOs deserve is by definition anti-capitalist. Never mind the fact that the greedy boss/executive trope has been a staple in entertainment for over a century.

Then again they said the exact same thing about some Muppets movie a few years ago, so this is probably some point you'll see them drag out against other movies on slow news weeks to fill up airtime.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Lou Dobbs once included The Secret World of Arietty, a Japanese animated feature based off of an English children's' book, as an example of Hollywood stumping for Obama.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
God drat, it's like if a movie premiered about a twirly mustached villain with top hat and monocle tying women to train tracks, Fox would be ALL OVER THAT poo poo for being totally anti-capitalist. :rolleyes:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I wonder how Fox News will handle their most accomplished and intelligent contributor revealing his true colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXywiChY15Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5GaDXgf65Q&t=26s

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

comes along bort posted:

I wonder how Fox News will handle their most accomplished and intelligent contributor revealing his true colors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXywiChY15Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5GaDXgf65Q&t=26s

What the gently caress?

e:

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Dr Christmas posted:

Lou Dobbs once included The Secret World of Arietty, a Japanese animated feature based off of an English children's' book, as an example of Hollywood stumping for Obama.

Maybe the anime was stumping for the Obama clan from Feudal Japan?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama_Domain

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Lou Dobbs is still on television? Who's his audience, Pat Buchanan?

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Pander posted:

Just saw the Lego Movie. Great movie.

I have no goddamn clue how anyone could walk out of that thinking it was anti-capitalism, unless they associate the messages of "be unique/yourself" and "have fun in life" with anti-capitalism.

A lot of right wing extremists are basically real-life cartoon villains who hate fun and any kind of uniqueness at the most basic level.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 9, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Rexicon1 posted:

What the gently caress?

e:

Oderus (Dave Brockie) is a lefty Canadian.:ssh:

He also writes a football column for a metal blog and has been really vocal about the Redskins changing their name.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Not to insult GWAR, but it's loving embarrassing that a dude who dresses up in a Halloween costume and plays novelty music for a living is more intelligent and sensible than at least half of our elected leaders. Goddammit America.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

Lou Dobbs is still on television? Who's his audience, Pat Buchanan?

There's a big market for doughy white guys complaining about brown people.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Fox was really mad about the Seuss adaptation from 2012 or 2013 being "anti-capitalist" too. I can't remember the name of the movie right now.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

TheQat posted:

Fox was really mad about the Seuss adaptation from 2012 or 2013 being "anti-capitalist" too. I can't remember the name of the movie right now.

That's kinda funny because I was a little mad that they used The Lorax to sell a loving SUV.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Zeroisanumber posted:

That's kinda funny because I was a little mad that they used The Lorax to sell a loving SUV.

On the plus side think of all the green energy we can get from the spinning of Seuss' corpse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

TheQat posted:

Lorax, the movie with a loving SUV commercial deal.

The loving Lorax.

Selling SUVs.

Yea real leftie.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm glad that they were talking poo poo about "It's a Wonderful Life." Yeah, keep telling people how awful that is and how Mr.Potter is the real hero. Old white people love that movie and their interpretation of it is a great way of illustrating to OWP just how repugnant their views are. Also I'm not a religious person but I wouldn't shy away from unironically calling the Lorax movie blasphemy. It should have included a 10 minute section where the Lorax teaches kids to spike trees and steal sparkplugs from construction equipment.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know, guys, maybe Hollywood really does hate rich people. I mean, there's certainly never been any successful piece of mainstream cinema in which they portrayed the CEO of a large corporation to be, for example, a superhero.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

And certainly not more than one successful franchise.

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

Rhesus Pieces posted:

According to Fox News, any movie that portrays a businessperson as greedy or villainous and lacking the glittering halo they think all CEOs deserve is by definition anti-capitalist. Never mind the fact that the greedy boss/executive trope has been a staple in entertainment for over a century.

Then again they said the exact same thing about some Muppets movie a few years ago, so this is probably some point you'll see them drag out against other movies on slow news weeks to fill up airtime.
They come off as just really desperate to cover up the fact that, you know, some rich people do in fact do terrible things that hurt people, and the anger of the Occupy movement and so on isn't completely unjustified.

Also, yeah, I don't remember hearing any rich people complaining about the portrayals of Batman or Iron Man.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Guilty Spork posted:

Also, yeah, I don't remember hearing any rich people complaining about the portrayals of Batman or Iron Man.

They were complaining about the Batman villian Bane just because Dark Knight Rises was being released during an election year he has the same sounding name as Romney's company instead.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

They were complaining about the Batman villian Bane just because Dark Knight Rises was being released during an election year he has the same sounding name as Romney's company instead.

It really says something about your business practices when you even think you can be mistaken for a fictional loving supervillain. :wtc:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Robviously posted:

It really says something about your business practices when you even think you can be mistaken for a fictional loving supervillain. :wtc:

comes along bort posted:

The irony is conservatives' entire worldview is basically a creation of the film and tv industry (the same one they constantly bitch and moan about as a liberal conspiracy) reinforcing what they believe are "American values" to the point most of them are wholly incapable of distinguishing fiction from reality.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Haha this is fantastic :allears:. Kinda surprised this my first time seeing it though.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

Marlamaid Swordhand posted:

Wikipedia posted:

Bane is a fictional character, a supervillain who appears in comic books published by DC Comics. The character's origin was in Batman: Vengeance of Bane #1 (January 1993)

I'm trying to find something witty to say but goddamn they're dumb.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I'm trying to find something witty to say but goddamn they're dumb.

Well, uh, excuse me...they could have changed it if they were fair-minded enough to be extra sensitive to one of Romney's political weaknesses, but noooo...

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

FuzzySkinner posted:

I once heard Neil Cavuto crying over the fact Argo won best picture over Zero Dark Thirty.

"SEE IT'S JUST AN EXCUSE FOR HOLLYWOOD TO GIVE AN OSCAR TO ITSELF! SEE! SEE!"

It sounded like he never saw a minute of the actual movie.
Every Academy Awards is an excuse for Hollywood to give Oscars to itself...

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

beatlegs posted:

Well, uh, excuse me...they could have changed it if they were fair-minded enough to be extra sensitive to one of Romney's political weaknesses, but noooo...

Isn't it Romney's (or whoever founded Bain if not him) fault for naming his company Bain, a homophone of Bane, which is an actual word predating Batman which means "a cause of great distress or annoyance," or "(archaic) something, typically poison, that causes death."?

It would be like naming your company "Nemesis" or something.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Isn't it Romney's (or whoever founded Bain if not him) fault for naming his company Bain, a homophone of Bane, which is an actual word predating Batman which means "a cause of great distress or annoyance," or "(archaic) something, typically poison, that causes death."?

Probably had something to do with the company being founded by Bill Bain as a spin off from his consulting firm

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

There's another private equity firm named Cerberus so no, nobody cares.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They like that stuff cause they're emotionally teenaged boys. "Whoa Cerberus yeah don't we sound like badasses, we're gonna crush the competition and kick their asses and make like tons of money bro." It's why you heard people talking about "Project Death Star" at Enron.

edit - See also the GOP's "Para Bellum" labs.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Chantilly Say posted:

There's another private equity firm named Cerberus so no, nobody cares.

Royal Ahold always goes over well here in the US.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Now I really want to hear that Romney speech about the trees having the right height in Bane's voice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FlamingLiberal posted:

Now I really want to hear that Romney speech about the trees having the right height in Bane's voice.

There's probably a modulizer that exists for it, I know one exists for the Dalek voice.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

computer parts posted:

There's probably a modulizer that exists for it, I know one exists for the Dalek voice.

It's called a plastic cup.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
It's kind of hilarious that Fox News ever got upset about the Dark Knight Rises. It's a movie where the Occupy-esque working man underclass is portrayed as a bunch of bloodthirsty terrorist anarchists who want to murder the rich and take all their stuff, and they could only be stopped by a rich white guy leading a bunch of police officers in to beat them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

cbirdsong posted:

It's kind of hilarious that Fox News ever got upset about the Dark Knight Rises. It's a movie where the Occupy-esque working man underclass is portrayed as a bunch of bloodthirsty terrorist anarchists who want to murder the rich and take all their stuff, and they could only be stopped by a rich white guy leading a bunch of police officers in to beat them up.

It's a problem because, for a small amount of time, they win and when in power Gotham is a much better place.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/02/10/Conservative-and-Single-The-Odds-are-Good-But-the-Goods-are-Odd

Article where in a hardcore Righty complains about how people like her are so disliked and marginalized that she can't find someone to date that isn't a loon like herself and isn't someone she knows from working in "the movement".

So the question I have is why is she complaining about being unable to find some one to date when she herself won't date someone like her?