Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

GreyPowerVan posted:

Man I really want to go to GP Richmond but I don't even have a modern deck.

I will live vicariously through you all, please have a goon-only top 8.

throw gether rg gruul aggro from last standard. add kird apes and lightning bolts. e1, bte, flinthoof lightning mauler add apes, stormblood berserker, 4 bolts domri its a deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

BizarroAzrael posted:

As I recalk, FTV Legends had Mikaeus the Lunarch before Innistrad was even out. Also Ulamog from RotE, which would have been more recent than Abrupt Decay now.

Most FTVs that can have a card from the fall set do as a preview of what's to come. Dragons had Hellkite Overlord, Relics had Sword of Body and Mind, and Legends had Mikaeus. The only exceptions are Exiled (because the requirement was the card had to have been banned at some point or another), Twenty (since the card had to be in a PT winning deck), and Realms since RTR didn't have any high-profile lands outside of the shocks.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
Not all FTV sets had pre-cards but several did.

FTV: Dragons, Hellkite Overlord
FTV: Exiled, none. They were all previously banned cards
FTV: Relicsj, Sword of Body and Mind
FTV: Legends, Mikaeus, The Lunarch
FTV: Realms, none
FTV: 20, none.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Have sets with a previewed card from FtV also had a preview card in a Duel Deck? I know RtR had a few in Izzet vs. Golgari and Theros obviously had some in Heros vs. Monsters. Maybe WotC has decided that's a better place to put previews?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

whydirt posted:

Have sets with a previewed card from FtV also had a preview card in a Duel Deck? I know RtR had a few in Izzet vs. Golgari and Theros obviously had some in Heros vs. Monsters. Maybe WotC has decided that's a better place to put previews?

Duel deck previews I think are an "official" thing where FTV previews are not. They changed the format recently that fall set will always be a preview duel deck and spring with be a planeswalker set. Phyrexia vs. Coalition was the first preview deck, but it came out in spring. So then they had 2 back to back planeswalker duel decks, then came Izzet vs. Golgari and now they'are on a pattern of sorts.

jassi007 fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Feb 10, 2014

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

How bad was the Phyrexia vs Coalition? The shop I got to still has about...4? sealed boxes of them.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

PrinnySquadron posted:

How bad was the Phyrexia vs Coalition? The shop I got to still has about...4? sealed boxes of them.

2 dark ritual
1 phyreixan arena
1 living death
1 lightning greaves
1 coalition relic

These cards are good. Probably worth MSRP.

Ranpire
Nov 6, 2012

PrinnySquadron posted:

Quite good, actually. Probably the most balanced and interesting Duel Decks set, although it's a lot more complex to play on both sides than more recent ones. For monetary value, there's Phyrexian Arena, Coalition Relic and several other cube and EDH playables which should at least break even on MSRP. Finding so many on the shelf like that surprises me, if they're around MSRP I'd definitely scoop up one or more.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My guesses for Annihilation:

Damnation
Armageddon -or- Ravages of War
Wildfire -or- Burning of Xinye
Upheaval
Maelstrom Pulse -or- Pernicious Deed
Vindicate
Maybe Wasteland just because there's no way they'd stick it in something that'd actually bring the price down.
And then a bunch of sweepers that are basically casual EDH fodder.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
With the box being called "Annihilation" they can't not include Decree of Annihilation, right?

Damnation and Vindicate are the only money card I can think of for it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

whydirt posted:

My guesses for Annihilation:

Damnation
Armageddon -or- Ravages of War
Wildfire -or- Burning of Xinye
Upheaval
Maelstrom Pulse -or- Pernicious Deed
Vindicate
Maybe Wasteland just because there's no way they'd stick it in something that'd actually bring the price down.
And then a bunch of sweepers that are basically casual EDH fodder.

Reprint Cataclysm. :getin:

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
I think pyroclasm gets a new art promo. Its a played card, isn't real valuable (FTV always includes some less valuable cards) and it fits the theme.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Entropic posted:

With the box being called "Annihilation" they can't not include Decree of Annihilation, right?

Damnation and Vindicate are the only money card I can think of for it.

As already mentioned, an Annihilator Eldrazi perhaps?

Worldslayer? Fits the name, even if it's a worthless card, and they have had a few of those in FTVs.

Edit: What about Karn Liberated and Legacy Weapon? And Door to Nothingness? The booklet could explain Maro's wishing for it to read "Destroy target player".

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Feb 10, 2014

Bikini Quilt
Jul 28, 2013
So is there actually any way of getting FtV stuff anywhere close to MSRP? Is there even an MSRP? I never even bothered trying because any that looked interesting sold for secondary market value of everything inside right out of the gate.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Laughingly enough, the MSRP is $34.99.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Full Fathoms Five posted:

So is there actually any way of getting FtV stuff anywhere close to MSRP? Is there even an MSRP? I never even bothered trying because any that looked interesting sold for secondary market value of everything inside right out of the gate.

Some stores sell them at MSRP or give them away. MSRP is $34.99. I know of a few shops that basically run tournaments, $10-25ish entry fee, prize is an FTV or a chance to buy one at MSRP. Other than that, know your shop owner really well?

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Full Fathoms Five posted:

Some LGS's sell them at MSRP. Mine usually gets 4-8 right when they come out, and everyone who wins one of their weekly tournaments the week it comes can buy it at MSRP if they want to. And conveniently the prize payout for winning a weekly there is usually within 5-10 dollars of the MSRP.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
So I finally traded for 2 more nightveil specters, because they are fun as hell. My black deck is mean as hell with the Shadow Alley Courtizen popping intimidate on them.

One has to wonder, and I'm sure there has been discussion before, but how the hell did something as strong as NVS pass through as a 3 cost? Especially with the prevalence of the guildgates. So far with my gates, I can usually play an opponents cards if I don't flip one of their lands to snatch.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

It's not that powerful, it fits well into a specific deck in this specific standard, after it rotates it will be a $0.25 card.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

toadee posted:

It's not that powerful, it fits well into a specific deck in this specific standard, after it rotates it will be a $0.25 card.

To expand on this, its a devotion enabler. A 2/3 flying ophidian for 3 is neat, but not really good as creature on its own. In modern, neither faeries nor merfolk would want to run it, and mono-b isn't really a deck though people are trying to get it to work. It has a laughable body-to-cost ratio for legacy and does nothing nearly broken enough for vintage. Its a suitable standard man that devotion made awesome. However, once it is not in a format with devotion it will fall by the wayside, like Thragtusk before it.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

toadee posted:

Really? Care to explain why a 3 cost 2/3 evasive that exiles and play's your opponents cards is not that strong? I've been out of magic a long time and do not have a big overview of whats been out since 7th ed. Can you point me to stronger black 3 drops? I'd like to see what real power is in the 3 drop slot. :)

Not being an rear end, I'm serious.

eidt

Madmarker posted:

To expand on this, its a devotion enabler. A 2/3 flying ophidian for 3 is neat, but not really good as creature on its own. In modern, neither faeries nor merfolk would want to run it, and mono-b isn't really a deck though people are trying to get it to work. It has a laughable body-to-cost ratio for legacy and does nothing nearly broken enough for vintage. Its a suitable standard man that devotion made awesome. However, once it is not in a format with devotion it will fall by the wayside, like Thragtusk before it.

What you are saying makes a little sense. Can you show me some example cards that are better spot holders?

*edit 2

I'm not even really running him for the devotion. I've run him in my blue black deck and he performs well. Mind you I don't FNM anymore so I might not be hitting the wall of meta. I do know the people I play with do FNM though. And so far it's testing well against them.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Feb 10, 2014

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Kilazar posted:

Can you point me to stronger black 3 drops?

Well, Liliana of the Veil is the go to in Legacy and Modern for black 3 drop in general. It also I suppose depends on what you want to do.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kilazar posted:

Really? Care to explain why a 3 cost 2/3 evasive that exiles and play's your opponents cards is not that strong? I've been out of magic a long time and do not have a big overview of whats been out since 7th ed. Can you point me to stronger black 3 drops? I'd like to see what real power is in the 3 drop slot. :)

Not being an rear end, I'm serious.

1. Liliana of the Veil (not a creature but its a relevant black permanent in the 3 drop slot)
2. Geralf's Messenger

Those 2 cards alone will keep nightveil specter from being a thing.

Ok, let me expand further....

So if all cards were in a vacuum and had to be evaluated individually Nightveil seems pretty neat but we have to evaluate in context.

So lets start by looking at the big name decks:
Jund has Liliana and the Nightveil is to difficult on its 3 color mana base for to little reward.

It's not a merfolk, so fish wont run it.

UWR control has no need for an aggresive creature that isn't a land or doesn't have flash (Restoration Angel/Celestial Colonade)

Its not a combo piece for splinter twin.

Its not an artifact so robots/affinity won't run it.

It not aggresive enough to replace Geist in Domain Zoo.

Ninja Bear Delver relies on cheap creatures, and three mana isnt cheap.

Its not lingering souls or spectral procession for W/B tokens.

Beyond that the decks either don't run the relevant colors to cast it, or the deck isn't even tier 2.

Thats just modern mind you, 3 mana is FAR to expensive for a 2/3 flyer in legacy where you have 3/2 flyers for 1 mana and 4/4 lifelink vigilance creatures coming down as early as turn 3, not to mention combos.

So its either to difficult to cast or not aggressive enough. Its only real hope to get played is if devotion is strong enough to keep it around with nykthos, which though possible, seems unlikely.

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Feb 10, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Just look at how much play it got before theros was legal.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Madmarker posted:

To expand on this, its a devotion enabler. A 2/3 flying ophidian for 3 is neat, but not really good as creature on its own.

Back in my day, Ophidians were 1/3 for 3. And didn't have evasion. And didn't deal damage if you drew a card. And didn't make your other cards better just by being in play. And by gum they were still good!

:arghfist:
:corsair:

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Nightveil Specter might not be relevant in constructed for that long, but it is and likely always will be awesome in cube.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Madmarker posted:

1. Liliana of the Veil (not a creature but its a relevant black permanent in the 3 drop slot)
2. Geralf's Messenger

Those 2 cards alone will keep nightveil specter from being a thing.

But those are really for people who want to spend bank right? I'm talking for a player thats not going to bankroll a deck just to stomp plebs at FNM.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

Kilazar posted:

But those are really for people who want to spend bank right? I'm talking for a player thats not going to bankroll a deck just to stomp plebs at FNM.

Well after rotation, most FNMs (although not all, some will be Modern) will not play the card because it won't be standard legal. Then, if you want to play Modern or Legacy (where it would then be legal), you can either spend a bunch, or play a budget fringe deck.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Kilazar posted:

When discussing a card's merit, dollar value is not usually a consideration. We're talking overall card quality, not budget quality. Specter isn't even a true budget card anymore.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

What a Judas posted:

Specter isn't even a true budget card anymore.

It costs as much as or more than a playset of Geralf's Messengers, in fact.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kilazar posted:

There are better things to do for cheap in modern. You can make a fairly competent burn deck. There is also restore balance, which if I remember correctly is a pretty cheap deck.

Nightveil is a neat fun casual card, but its life expectancy outside of the kitchen table is waning fast.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Promoted Pawn posted:

Back in my day, Ophidians were 1/3 for 3. And didn't have evasion. And didn't deal damage if you drew a card. And didn't make your other cards better just by being in play. And by gum they were still good!

:arghfist:
:corsair:

Heh, its crazy how good creatures have become, I mean, would people even run Wild Mongrel if it were legal in standard now?

edit-sorry for the double post

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Madmarker posted:

Heh, its crazy how good creatures have become, I mean, would people even run Wild Mongrel if it were legal in standard now?

I doubt it, since the only place it would fit would be some sort of graveyard deck, those normally have black, and that means they can run Lotleth Troll instead.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I guess I just don't get the whole metaand only playing "top 10"s. Or looking up decks online to play locally. I just play out of my collection and what I can trade. I did make a purchase for pack rats, but that was for my wife and a crazy rat deck I want to make. She's getting two and I'm getting two. And we have had no luck in cracking any open.

Other than that I usually just trade, and build decks out of what I own. So out of what I own, the specter is kind of a power house 3 drop. And so far he has done me good paired up with my shadow alley courtizen.

Guess I'm just old. Back in my day there was no "interwebs" to look up stuff. You played with what you bought, no one really knew what was or was not rare unless you were lucky enough to have a friend that could afford both Scrye AND new magic cards. The meta was very local, and not super influenced on a State/national/world level. The local meta was vastly different than the meta at your cousins house in another state. And by god I had to walk up hill both ways lugging a 25 pound bag of magic cards to get too and from a tournament IN THE SNOW 10 miles!

That last bit is actually semi true. I seriously did that minus the over exaggeration. It wasn't snowing but there were a ton of hills. And we only walked one way. My friend dragged me to my first tournament EVER (it was star wars LCG, but I brought magic too) in Colorado Springs. I lived over by the AFB, and the tourney was at a mall WAAAY across town. My dad took us to the tourney and my friend SWORE he had a ride home for us. Come midnight, the tourney is over and his ride didn't show. I think there never was a ride cause he kept calling on the payphone without using any money.. He said he knew how to spoof the phone or some poo poo.

So we walked home. Eventually getting picked up by a cop and given a ride home. After walking about 4 miles I think.

Man that brings back some good memories. So on that note. Post your best up hill both ways in the snow magic story!

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Feb 10, 2014

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Madmarker posted:

Wasn't the whole deal with Wild Mongrel that it was an enabler for madness or threshold or whatever was in Standard at the time? I don't think it was a ridiculous card on its own.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Madmarker posted:

If madness was a major archetype, and/or standard needed a graveyard enabler probably. It would really depend if there was a BETTER madness/graveyard card, and with modern cards there likely would be.

Its all relative.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Creatures have definitely become just plain better in the modern era though. When people where dissing the green BNG promo (a 6/6 for 6 with a big upside), I couldn't help imagining Craw Wurm shedding a single tear of despair.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Kilazar posted:

I guess I just don't get the whole META and only playing "top 10"s. Or looking up decks online to play locally. I just play out of my collection and what I can trade. I did make a purchase for pack rats, but that was for my wife and a crazy rat deck I want to make. She's getting two and I'm getting two. And we have had no luck in cracking any open.

Other than that I usually just trade, and build decks out of what I own. So out of what I own, the specter is kind of a power house 3 drop. And so far he has done me good paired up with my shadow alley courtizen.

Thats all well and good, and you're the perfect person to play Nightveil Specter then. He is a fun casual card and does fun things. That does not make him good. That does not mean he will hold value. This is a good thing then, since you mostly play in a less competitive setting, you will probably be able to buy/ trade for the rest of your playset post rotation for rather cheap. However you do have to bite the bullet on the 2 you already traded for.

Vomax posted:

Wasn't the whole deal with Wild Mongrel that it was an enabler for madness or threshold or whatever was in Standard at the time? I don't think it was a ridiculous card on its own.

Bread Set Jettison posted:

If madness was a major archetype, and/or standard needed a graveyard enabler probably. It would really depend if there was a BETTER madness/graveyard card, and with modern cards there likely would be.

Its all relative.

True, I just remember back when Mongrel came out it getting a lot of press as an amazing creature, so in my head when I think of "Formerly good creature that is now dreck" Wild Mongrel is what first pops into my head.

Entropic posted:

Creatures have definitely become just plain better in the modern era though. When people where dissing the green BNG promo (a 6/6 for 6 with a big upside), I couldn't help imagining Craw Wurm shedding a single tear of despair.

An even better examle is Savannah Lion, where we had a 2/1 for 1 being a highly sought rare to being a junk uncommon.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Kilazar posted:

I guess I just don't get the whole metaand only playing "top 10"s. Or looking up decks online to play locally. I just play out of my collection and what I can trade. I did make a purchase for pack rats, but that was for my wife and a crazy rat deck I want to make. She's getting two and I'm getting two. And we have had no luck in cracking any open.

Guess I'm just old. Back in my day there was no "interwebs" to look up stuff. You played with what you bought, no one really knew what was or was not rare unless you were lucky enough to have a friend that could afford both Scrye AND new magic cards. The meta was very local, and not super influenced on a State/national/world level. The local meta was vastly different than the meta at your cousins house in another state. And by god I had to walk up hill both ways lugging a 25 pound bag of magic cards to get too and from a tournament IN THE SNOW 10 miles!

That last bit is actually semi true. I seriously did that minus the over exaggeration. It wasn't snowing but there were a ton of hills. And we only walked one way. My friend dragged me to my first tournament EVER (it was star wars LCG, but I brought magic too) in Colorado Springs. I lived over by the AFB, and the tourney was at a mall WAAAY across town. My dad took us to the tourney and my friend SWORE he had a ride home for us. Come midnight, the tourney is over and his ride didn't show. I think there never was a ride cause he kept calling on the payphone without using any money.. He said he knew how to spoof the phone or some poo poo.

So we walked home. Eventually getting picked up by a cop and given a ride home. After walking about 4 miles I think.

Man that brings back some good memories. So on that note. Post your best up hill both ways in the snow magic story!

That is largely true, but the internet has helped some in the availability, access and cost of cards as well. Prior to such a strong presence online getting cards was more difficult so if there was only 1 of said card in 10 miles of you it would be justified to sell that card at a much larger mark up. Today you can go to TCGPlayer and have upwards of 20 stores nationwide competing for your business on ONE card. Its nuts.

Although I do share your feelings on using "top 10 decks". When I show up to a tournament and see the same 3 decks over and over and over again being played by teenagers it is rather aggrevating. Did I come up with the Murderhorse concept? Nope. Have I changed and played and experimented with a couple guys here to make my own variation to the local meta? Yep. Most people I play have a solid deck that doesn't change as they figure that is what wins...its even more hilarioius when it doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Got an acquisition question. I missed out on some really fun looking blocks. And looking at the price list on them, it is not unreasonable for me to pick up a play set of say the ice age block or Alara block. How do you do that without getting eaten alive by shipping on tcgplayer? Is there a site that will sell you full play set blocks without a super price mark up? As long as you are staying away from the money cards that is.

• Locked thread