Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Random Stranger posted:

Hey, I found it!

An Odyssey 300.

If you put the switch between hockey and racquetball, one of the hockey teams would have 3 players instead of 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

midge posted:

Someone tell me which Fire Emblem game to play first.

GBA > GBA > GC > GC > SNES Fan Translation > DS

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

MediumWellDone posted:

If you just want to play Neo-Geo then stick with an MVS. IRC a Jamma harness won't accept Neo-Geo boards with out a conversion kit. Which may or may not be a hassle to install/remove.

For what it's worth, the supergun I ended up getting (Mak Strike V3) takes the JAMMA end of a Neo board as it is. I'm paying 60 GBP for the Mak Strike itself which is a little steep (it's 75 euros new but comes with the clear case which is an extra 17 euros) but it's a good supergun and depending on how JAMMA crazy I go after I get my candy cab I may or may not keep it for general board testing/playing.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

midge posted:

Someone tell me which Fire Emblem game to play first.

FE7, the one localized here as simply "Fire Emblem" on the GBA is a good starting point. It's got a solid tutorial and was generally designed with first time players in mind.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Has anyone played that indie game GunLord on Dreamcast?
I have a problem and I don't know if it's a known bug or not, if I pause the game for more than about 15 seconds the music won't resume when I unpause, as if the game just forgot to continue streaming, I'm hoping it's just a bug and not my DC going out or something.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I have and played it but never noticed that. I can check it next weekend when I'm home to see if mine does that as well

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

So I'm noticing that Amazon has brand new copies of Shadow Tower on PS1 for cheap. If I liked King's Field, is it worth a try?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Holy poo poo SD2SNES isn't dead yet???? :pwn:

https://github.com/mrehkopf/sd2snes/issues/39#issuecomment-34635062

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

iastudent posted:

So I'm noticing that Amazon has brand new copies of Shadow Tower on PS1 for cheap. If I liked King's Field, is it worth a try?

I've only played it for a bit but it seems way easy compared to King's Field. Some really wacky creature designs though.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
http://dx.com/p/scart-to-hdmi-video-converter-black-128497#.UvlFABBdW9o

Looks like DX has a SCART to HDMI adapter. I wonder if it suffers from the same problem as those composite to HDMI ones I have run across.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Don't believe the lies!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

iastudent posted:

It's basically a more action oriented King's Field. I know KF is considered the daddy of the Souls series but Shadow Tower is a more direct inspiration. You even raise your stats with an item called "Soul pods."

The game definitely looks better and moves faster than any of the PS1 KF games so that's a plus.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I have three legit SMS controllers now. Bow before your Master System overlord, peasants :smug:.

Also :hfive: for the SMS love. Rampage rules, so does Castle of Illusion and Double Dragon.

Pssh, overlord nothing. I have like, 9 or 10 SMS controllers. :cool:

brb, gonna go roll around in a pile of them

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Random Stranger posted:

Eye of the Beholder (and the very similar Dungeon Master) would be much better games if they supported the SNES mouse. The technical details make them very good ports but the way they handled the interface for the SNES versions was not very good.

Questprobe: Spider-Man. One of these days I really should play the Questprobe games. Actually, since I just wrapped some stuff up I think I'll start right now.

Edit:

Oh, Adventure International. I wonder why your text adventures are forgotten while Infocom's remain beloved...

[A few minutes later]

That is so weird and stupid, I had to share it.

Continuing to edit so I don't flood the thread with weird, stupid stuff from this game:

I tried to play this loving game as a child after finding it in a random pile of floppies and it is the reason I hate text adventures to this day.

BTW, 'bite lip' also works to get angry.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

OSI bean dip posted:

http://dx.com/p/scart-to-hdmi-video-converter-black-128497#.UvlFABBdW9o

Looks like DX has a SCART to HDMI adapter. I wonder if it suffers from the same problem as those composite to HDMI ones I have run across.

Going to self-quote myself here, but the Amazon reviews seem to put it into a good light with retro stuff:

http://www.amazon.ca/CVID-BG-460-System-Digital-Converter/dp/B00988GMLG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_ce_2

quote:

I recently bought a Sega 32X RGB SCART Cable for my NTSC Sega 32X. That cable sends a pure RGB 480i signal to my NTSC TV. There is just one little problem, we don't use SCART in the USA. So I bought this converter from amazon. It not only lets me hookup my SCART cables, but it also lets me use my Xbox 360 S and 32X with my Turtle Beach X11 Headset and converts the 480i resolution from my 32X to 1080p! It can also convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa. It can also just bypass PAL signals to a PAL TV and NTSC signals to a NTSC TV via HDMI. This converter is a must have for US SCART users and even Europeans as well!

quote:

Great item bought to use with my old gaming consoles SUPER NINTENDO ,SEGA genesis model 1, SEGA MASTER SYSTEM and NINTENDO top loader and per video on you tube recommending this converter i pick this up and very happy. Only con is that for some reason there is a scaling issue with the picture the image is further left than right not centered it maybe just my TV haven't tested it on other HDTV i currently using on an insignia HDTV 39". But it works great other than that. Very Happy :-)

Dare I risk it and get one? I have $20 to spend on Amazon due to my getting a credit card from them.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sorry, The Incredible Hulk™ is no Vandal™.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

al-azad posted:

Sorry, The Incredible Hulk™ is no Vandal™.

I thought he did backup vocals on "Anarchy Burger"?

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mail day!

I bought a lot of 50 manuals on Ebay for ~$50, mostly just to get the manuals for Crystalis, Dragon Warrior and Zelda 2, though there were about 15 others that I could actually use and a couple of handfuls for games I'll likely pick up at some point, so I think it was worth it.

The same seller has a bunch of other lots but picking up a second one would mean getting a ton of duplicates, and I already ended up with a handful just from this lot. Still, I could be that much closer to having a CIB Tecmo Super Bowl and Legend of Zelda and Dragon Warrior 2 and and and :retrogames:

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 11, 2014

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
So I need an arcade PSU for a Mak Strike that can do 5v and 12v, what's the ~recommended~ solution for getting one of these shits on the cheap.

It's either this or wait to hear back from some dude that offered to build me one but I'm waiting to see some examples of his work first.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
My repros arrived finally.

Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2, Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 5, Secret of Mana 2 and Bahumut Lagoon

Since it was my girlfriend's birthday I got her Tales of Phantasia with a box and manual.

I'm super impressed, the stuff looks pretty close to professional. Well it's better than what I can do anyway. Unfortunately, I don't have my consoles here yet to try them out.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ghostinmyshell posted:

My repros arrived finally.

Earthbound, Final Fantasy 2, Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 5, Secret of Mana 2 and Bahumut Lagoon

Since it was my girlfriend's birthday I got her Tales of Phantasia with a box and manual.

I'm super impressed, the stuff looks pretty close to professional. Well it's better than what I can do anyway. Unfortunately, I don't have my consoles here yet to try them out.

So do they buy the licenses of the games and pay off the fan translators or do they just rip off other people's work to make a profit?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Katana Gomai posted:

So do they buy the licenses of the games and pay off the fan translators or do they just rip off other people's work to make a profit?

Nope. They are literally doing what the intros on fan translations tell you NOT to do.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

For what it's worth, myself and zari-gani came to an agreement with the Lost Classics guy for the Super Monkey Adventure English version we made, prior to any carts being made.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Nope. They are literally doing what the intros on fan translations tell you NOT to do.

I was being facetious, I know they don't. They're doing what all those Etsy "artists" are doing with various companies' trademarks, and it's just as illegal. And the only reason they don't get sued for it is because it's too much effort for the companies, although I could see Square-Enix hitting them with a C+D for selling Final Fantasy.

univbee posted:

For what it's worth, myself and zari-gani came to an agreement with the Lost Classics guy for the Super Monkey Adventure English version we made, prior to any carts being made.

That's cool and there is a world of difference between a case like that (SMA was never even published in the west) and games like Final Fantasy or Earthbound. I want to stress that I'm not lumping you in with that group.

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Feb 11, 2014

KracKiwi
Mar 29, 2002

:byodood: well excuse me, princess!
So I've been looking around to pick up an Indigo Gamecube to eventually hook up to other GCs for sweet networked MKDD action. I came across this decently priced bundle on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-GA...cvip=true&rt=nc

...and noticed something interesting near the bottom of one photo, not mentioned anywhere in the listing:

After some speedy label comparison, I snapped it up, and it was just delivered:

:swoon:

1x gamecube
1x official power adapter
2x official controllers (seller mistakenly thought the dual tone controller was third party)
1x broadband adapter

~$40.00!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Thanks for whoever posted their sharp playing Geograph Seal earlier (my white whale!), it prompted me to do some more research on the series. I had no idea there was a third Jumping Flash game called Robbit Mon Dieu. Gonna look out for this at book off later in the month.

I love that other people in this thread like Sanvein too, I need to hang out here more.

On a psx note - does anyone have a pocketstation? Pretty interested in grabbing one of those too.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Katana Gomai posted:

People making it easier to have good games on real hardware :qq:

EDIT:

field balm posted:

Thanks for whoever posted their sharp playing Geograph Seal earlier (my white whale!), it prompted me to do some more research on the series. I had no idea there was a third Jumping Flash game called Robbit Mon Dieu. Gonna look out for this at book off later in the month.

That was me, check out my post in the retro computer thread showing off some other games by that developer. Both Jumping Flash sequels were made after Exact was folded into Sony, so it might not be the same people working on them.

field balm posted:

On a psx note - does anyone have a pocketstation? Pretty interested in grabbing one of those too.

I have one (found it in one of those touristy electronics shops in downtown Miami of all places) and it's great, I think they're cooler than VMUs. Too bad they aren't supported by much.

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Feb 11, 2014

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Katana Gomai posted:

I was being facetious, I know they don't. They're doing what all those Etsy "artists" are doing with various companies' trademarks, and it's just as illegal. And the only reason they don't get sued for it is because it's too much effort for the companies, although I could see Square-Enix hitting them with a C+D for selling Final Fantasy.

That's cool and there is a world of difference between a case like that (SMA was never even published in the west) and games like Final Fantasy or Earthbound. I want to stress that I'm not lumping you in with that group.

Not just Etsy guys, but the entire nerd hobby from comic books to video games. Everything a "fan" does is profiting off someone's work. Fangamer, some independent artist selling art of their favorite character, people who make repros, even people who make fan translations are all redistributing material other people have created whether it's for profit or free regardless if it's still in production or not. Just because you translate someone's material in another language doesn't mean it's not their material.

I'm more surprised that people who do these things aren't more active in the community. There are licenses you can release your work under that hold content creators responsible. But hey, this is all a relatively frontier and a relatively tight knit community. I forgot who it was in this thread but I'm glad the guy who made that flashcart cover art was compensated with a free flashcart.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

field balm posted:

I picked one up shortly after it came out at a convention when I was younger. It's a shame that almost no games support it because it's a ton of fun and better than a VMU (in my opinion). The chocobo virtual pet game from FF8 rocked my poo poo, though, as it was like raising a Chao but 100 times more legit. :c00l:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't speak for these particular repro dudes, but I know a few of the Megadrive/Dreamcast/Neo-Geo dudes have tried to get an official license for their homebrew releases, but it's pretty much impossible for a whole bunch of reasons.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

juliuspringle posted:

What's the first game (for anything) you guys can remember playing. I can't remember exactly if it was first but the earliest games I remember playing (which I have) are Monsters & Magic and Batman both for C64. When it came to Monsters & Magic I would sit next to my grandma and she would read me the choices and I would tell her which one to pick.

I know I'm adding to this late as hell, but the first console games I remember are Super Mario/Duck Hunt and The Legend of Zelda when my dad bought a NES for Christmas an 1987. I loved The Legend of Zelda, but my dad always wanted to play SMB so we fought over there. I was four, so I usually lost. My dad tells me I did play his Atari 2600 quite a bit before the NES, but I seriously don't remember the 2600 until later in my life. I don't own my original NES, but I do own my original childhood copies of Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy.

Meanwhile first games I remember playing on PC (a PS/2 Model 25, so somewhere around 1987/1988) were old Reader Rabbit/Math Blaster learning games. The first non-educational game I remember on PC is still one of my favorites, "Hero's Quest: So You Want To Be a Hero?" It was the first game we got that supported the PS/2 M25's MCGA and it blew 6-year-old me away.

I know Sierra's text parser games get a lot of flak these days, but I learned how to type using them.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

MediumWellDone posted:

Yeah, boxing on the Atari is a stupid game.

You loving take that back.

First game here was either Zaxxon or Turbo for my father's ColecoVision. First arcade games I've got solid memory of playing are Crystal Castles, Tron and a few pinball machines (Eight Ball Deluxe and Harlem Globetrotters stick out.)

I can't say I played them well, I was like four.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

My first video game memory doubles as my first memory.

1983~1984. Round Table Pizza. Sitting at a cocktail Gyruss cabinet whilst munching on pizza and listening to Chicago's "You're The Inspiration" on the jukebox.

The best memory. :allears:

(technically, though it predates my memory, my first game was apparently "Learning with Leeper" for the Atari 800, earning the affectionate nickname from my father 'Little Leap-o')

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Though it's not my first game, I have vivid memories of the Jurassic Park game on Genesis.

It... may not be as good as I remember. Playing as a Raptor is cool but some of the platforming aspects are frustrating as hell, the controls are floaty, the Waterfall level can gently caress right off, and poo poo passwords!! :tizzy:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
My memory is awful as poo poo but most of my earliest memories involve games.

I would guess that my first game would have been either Pac-Man or Donkey Kong in the arcade, or something on the 2600. I remember playing a lot of Drag Race with my dad on 2600, and lots of Jr. Pac-man. I have a fairly vivid memory of "beating" that, which I am not sure if that is actually something one can do. I probably just got to a level higher than I did before or something, I don't know. I also have a feeling we got different 2600s over time as both the heavy sizer and the Jr. feel nostalgic to me but I don't have my original from back then so I don't know which I had for sure.

I want to say the first NES game I encountered was Mega Man 2, but that seems like it would have been later than makes sense. Maybe I just got my NES late, who knows. I do remember playing Mario 3 for the first time on a play choice 10 in an arcade and being confused about how to enter a level from the map.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

d0s posted:

People making it easier to have good games on real hardware :qq:

EDIT:

That was me, check out my post in the retro computer thread showing off some other games by that developer. Both Jumping Flash sequels were made after Exact was folded into Sony, so it might not be the same people working on them.

I have one (found it in one of those touristy electronics shops in downtown Miami of all places) and it's great, I think they're cooler than VMUs. Too bad they aren't supported by much.

Thanks dude - this explains why Jumping Flash 2 isn't as good too. Jealous of all that retro computer stuff - I'd love an msx or a sharp but I think I'm out of space (and cash) as is.

All the pocketstation positivity is cool, I will check it out!

E: first game I have vivid memories of is Microsoft Flight Sim 3.0. Other than that, Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the SMS 2 was the first thing I really got into.

field balm fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Feb 11, 2014

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I can remember playing Mario 1 at a friend's house, although I do not remember which friend it was.

I can remember playing Mario 3 at a friend's house and I distinctly remember which friend, and our struggles with the caravan poo poo on W8.

I can remember my mom being annoyed by the Hoops music.

I remember being annoyed at Donkey Kong 3 when I was younger, and utterly confused at Zelda 2.

I remember getting farther in Sonic 2 than I ever had before and getting to the oil spill level, and glancing out the window trying to gauge how close my family friends who were coming over for dinner were and if I would be able to keep going or should leave it paused for a while. (I think I left it paused and my genesis got SUPER hot iirc. maybe not, though)

I remember being at a friend's house and getting to the Snowboarding sequence in Sonic 3 and both of us losing our poo poo at how badass it was~

My early video game memories :v:

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

My first video game memory doubles as my first memory.

1983~1984. Round Table Pizza. Sitting at a cocktail Gyruss cabinet whilst munching on pizza and listening to Chicago's "You're The Inspiration" on the jukebox.

The best memory. :allears:

(technically, though it predates my memory, my first game was apparently "Learning with Leeper" for the Atari 800, earning the affectionate nickname from my father 'Little Leap-o')

God yes, '80s pizza parlors were the bomb. Do any Portland, Oregon kids who grew up in the 1980s remember the Organ Grinder restaurant?

As an '80s kid, my first arcade game memory (poo poo, first video game experience) was playing a game of "Spy Hunter" on an upright in a grocery store. I was too young to really appreciate or do anything with it, but even then I found it kind of fascinating. Seems like arcade games were everywhere until about 1994, 1995...and then they were suddenly more or less all gone, consigned to an ever-dwindling number of arcades, movie theater lobbies, and the odd convenience store.

It'd be an interesting case study, though; seems like when all the other games were gone, you could still find Neo-Geo MVS machines. They were (still are?) like the AK-47 of arcade machines or something, being all reliable, constantly in use, and popping up in some very sketchy spots.

EDIT: My '80s memory song has to be "Higher Love" by Steve Winwood. Even as a young, musically illiterate, and otherwise non musically influenced child, I remember it had the hell played out of it on the radio.

Light Gun Man posted:

I do remember playing Mario 3 for the first time on a play choice 10 in an arcade and being confused about how to enter a level from the map.

Oh god, this happened to me, also! Kind of soured me on the game until I actually got a chance to sit down and play it on a real NES. Of course, I believe it is now one of the best games (and a contender for best Mario game) ever, so it goes to show that first impressions don't always last.

Kthulhu5000 fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Feb 11, 2014

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜

Allen Wren posted:

You loving take that back.

First game here was either Zaxxon or Turbo for my father's ColecoVision. First arcade games I've got solid memory of playing are Crystal Castles, Tron and a few pinball machines (Eight Ball Deluxe and Harlem Globetrotters stick out.)

I can't say I played them well, I was like four.

Okay, I just looked it up and it isn't exactly how I remember. I kind of thought it was one of the games where player 1 or 2 had an unfair advantage. But I seem to recall it was pretty simple to jam your opponent against the ropes and rhythmically pound their face in an inescapable chain.

Pro two player games for 2600
Indy 500
Combat
Tennis
Air-sea battle (some maps only)
Demon Attack

Avoidable for brokeness
Freeway
Air-sea battle (other maps)

E: everyone should find a copy of 32in1 for their collection

MediumWellDone fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Oh god, this happened to me, also! Kind of soured me on the game until I actually got a chance to sit down and play it on a real NES. Of course, I believe it is now one of the best games (and a contender for best Mario game) ever, so it goes to show that first impressions don't always last.

I talked to the dude who worked there and he helped me out. It's funny because it's pretty obvious and logical but at the time "press the A button??" seemed like it was total crazytown for some reason. Probably because maps like that were not very common in games yet.

• Locked thread