Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Tiny Epic Kingdoms is in its final 48 hours. It has blown past the $200k stretch goal, and the next stretch goal at $250k just makes some background stories on the different factions available for download, so what you see at this point is probably what you'll get. On the other hand, if it can hit $275k, you get the tokens and stuff for a fifth player, so that's a very significant target folks will be shooting for (although the rules for 5th player are already part of the Print and Play tier).

TEK's now above $250k with 20+ hours left, so I'm thinking $275k is certainly in reach.

The $300k stretch goal reward is ridiculous (the guy takes his wife out to dinner: what, is he going to not do that if it falls short of 300k?) but I think it's also smart that he's not adding on any more physical stuff. That little box is going to be very packed, and it's a good idea not to add on more stuff that has to be sent to over 8000 backers.

senrath posted:

I'm not seeing contradictory. The PnP comes in the PnP only tier as well as any of the Deluxe tiers.

The base $8 PnP tier gets a regular PnP of the game. The $16 tier appears to only be the physical game, no PnP, although I'm not certain about that.

The $24 Deluxe tier includes a "Premium PnP", which was achieved with the $125k stretch goal. It includes all the factions and territories (that is, includes the deluxe-only factions), a blank template for making your own factions, and "rules for adding a 5th player" although I believe that if the $275k stretch goal is hit, that'd become part of the deluxe game anyway. It also comes in both playing-card-size and full-size versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

My Futuristic Metal Coins just arrived (I'm in the UK):

At least you got all of yours. I only got part of my order, and when I contacted them about it, they said "Oh we're loosing too much money on sending them out, can we just refund you?"

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Leperflesh posted:

The base $8 PnP tier gets a regular PnP of the game. The $16 tier appears to only be the physical game, no PnP, although I'm not certain about that.

The $24 Deluxe tier includes a "Premium PnP", which was achieved with the $125k stretch goal. It includes all the factions and territories (that is, includes the deluxe-only factions), a blank template for making your own factions, and "rules for adding a 5th player" although I believe that if the $275k stretch goal is hit, that'd become part of the deluxe game anyway. It also comes in both playing-card-size and full-size versions.

That's exactly what I was hoping.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

At least you got all of yours. I only got part of my order, and when I contacted them about it, they said "Oh we're loosing too much money on sending them out, can we just refund you?"

That seems like the sort of thing you should think about before the kickstarter.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Leperflesh posted:

The $300k stretch goal reward is ridiculous (the guy takes his wife out to dinner: what, is he going to not do that if it falls short of 300k?) but I think it's also smart that he's not adding on any more physical stuff. That little box is going to be very packed, and it's a good idea not to add on more stuff that has to be sent to over 8000 backers.

He says in the description he's doing it anyway. It's just a jokey way of saying this is the end and combining it with a thank you to his wife for putting up with the last 30 days.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah, I know, and I get it... but it also somehow rubs me the wrong way a little bit to have the game designer exposing his private life to his customers, even if it's just a little thing. Not that it makes me think less of him, I just don't think it's wise.

Either way though, I'm happy with my $24 pledge and have a good feeling that fulfillment is going to go pretty smoothly.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

jivjov posted:

I hope you said no.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope you said no.

I replied with "I'd rather actually receive the thing I pledged for" and left it at that. We'll see how hard they want to pursue it.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

That seems like the sort of thing you should think about before the kickstarter.

Aww look at you, you are adorable. You believe that they think at all. Nope it's all "I have a dream so give me your money, we can work out the details later". These are the same types of clowns that go into meetings with banks seeking a business loan without a business plan. They think their love of the project is enough to pull them through and that their fervor will be contagious. Luckily for them it is contagious on KS as nerds hype and over hype project after project.

I've been exceedingly lucky with KS and now I am very reluctant to commit to any project unless it is a near 100% certainty that it will happen, that the stretch goals are attractive enough, and that I won't just be able to grab it from CSI for 35% off MSRP two weeks before backers get their copy.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

Indolent Bastard posted:

Aww look at you, you are adorable.

And look at you, you're a jackass.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, I know, and I get it... but it also somehow rubs me the wrong way a little bit to have the game designer exposing his private life to his customers, even if it's just a little thing.

Why? That seems like such a tiny, minor thing to even have an opinion about.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mikan posted:

Yeah, I thought it was a cute idea. There's so much swag at the $24 level already, I think he deserves a date night. :)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mikan posted:

I'm just anticipating inappropriate comments from the peanut gallery, I suppose. It's not a big deal.

Thedandmom
Jul 5, 2013
The Whispering Road has 5 days left and has reached all of it's stretch goals. I believe that there will be a live game run of it tomorrow afternoon over google hangouts and youtube.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, I got my copy of Hegemonic and (most of) my coins. They really over-packed the box (to save on shipping, I assume), so the inner box has a shattered edge. I sent a message about the coins, since I'm missing some sleeves, too. They did split out larger coin orders, so I'm expecting the rest to kind of show up. I'm not expecting much about the box, but I figured it couldn't hurt to ask if they had any ideas. Game has really nice components.

I probably won't be backing anything from Minion that isn't the most barebones thing possible. The coins are nice, but the whole thing was a complete clusterfuck, transparency or no.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Holy poo poo slid in last minute for Tiny Epic Kingdoms, what a great deal for 25 bucks.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Holy poo poo slid in last minute for Tiny Epic Kingdoms, what a great deal for 25 bucks.

Yeah, I couldn't say no to that game. It's going to be fun to play with the kiddos, and it should be really replayable. I really hope it hits the next stretch goal, as greedy as that sounds.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
$10k in 13 hours seems doable.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

Is it just me or has Minion seemed really unprofessional throughout the kickstarter and the wait? I continually see misspellings in the posts made by the main guy, and he keeps talking about not making enough money. When people are wondering what is up with their stuff, he seems flippant and accusatory. I don't think I will back or order anything from them again. They have lost me as a customer unless their coins are worth the wait.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bdurso posted:

Is it just me or has Minion seemed really unprofessional throughout the kickstarter and the wait? I continually see misspellings in the posts made by the main guy, and he keeps talking about not making enough money. When people are wondering what is up with their stuff, he seems flippant and accusatory. I don't think I will back or order anything from them again. They have lost me as a customer unless their coins are worth the wait.
"We ordered 500,000 coins and needed about 350,000 to fill Kickstarter. Good thing too as we're making less then a penny per coin from Kickstarter - and with all the theft and damage/missing shipments that we've had we're probably not making money on the Kickstarter at all."

This is called "oversharing."

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bdurso posted:

You're not the only one. Some guy in their comments was missing the 3 coin from his collector set, and Minion commented "Oh, it'd be too expensive for us to ship it out to you...but we can toss it in if you order something else from our webstore!" That's skeevy as gently caress.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

You're not the only one. Some guy in their comments was missing the 3 coin from his collector set, and Minion commented "Oh, it'd be too expensive for us to ship it out to you...but we can toss it in if you order something else from our webstore!" That's skeevy as gently caress.

That is pretty skeevy. At least the designer for Hegemonic, Oliver Kiley I think his name is, seems like a good guy. I see him posting on BGG and acting like a real pro, I wonder how close his relationship to minion is and if he feels put off by their actions.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Skeevy and short-sighted. That right there probably lost them more sales in bad word-of-mouth than the cost of shipping would have been.

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
The guy who runs Minion, James Mathe, is hugely unprofessional. He runs a Facebook community for game designers where he is beyond unhelpful and hates other people posting their kickstarters but puts his own up all the time. He is also so cynical and jaded that it is ridiculous.

Despite that when I came up to him at Gencon and said, "Hey James, its nice to meet you. I am part of your community on Facebook." He responded with "Oh, and I'm supposed to just remember you? You probably have a picture that isn't even you and is just a dog with googly eyes and you expect me to just know you right off the bat."

It was so snarky and mean spirited that I just realized I don't want to give that dude my money. The games industry doesn't need anymore cynical assholes running publishing companies, especially when they can't even deliver on their projects so I would recommend not giving Minion your money.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jivjov posted:

I replied with "I'd rather actually receive the thing I pledged for" and left it at that. We'll see how hard they want to pursue it.

How many did you order? I was in for 280 coins - I wanted 10 of each, plus extras of values that might theoretically see use - and they all showed up this morning.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
E: wrong thread

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sarx posted:

The guy who runs Minion, James Mathe, is hugely unprofessional. He runs a Facebook community for game designers where he is beyond unhelpful and hates other people posting their kickstarters but puts his own up all the time. He is also so cynical and jaded that it is ridiculous.

Despite that when I came up to him at Gencon and said, "Hey James, its nice to meet you. I am part of your community on Facebook." He responded with "Oh, and I'm supposed to just remember you? You probably have a picture that isn't even you and is just a dog with googly eyes and you expect me to just know you right off the bat."

That's not cynical and jaded, that's just being a shithead.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Tiny Epic Kingdoms knocked out at $286,972, hitting the final five-player addon stretch goal in the final hours. Seriously, I am so happy I jumped into this one.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jedit posted:

How many did you order? I was in for 280 coins - I wanted 10 of each, plus extras of values that might theoretically see use - and they all showed up this morning.

Not many, I ordered two of the one-of-each-coin collector sets and only received one of them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I funded High Heavens the first time around, and now it's back up to fund the final stretch goal it fell short of back then, and do it in time for everything to ship together.

The final stretch was plastic minis for the third team, the Egyptians, and this KS is basically a second bite at the cherry for the game for those who missed out the first time around - original backers who went at Demiurge or higher get the Egyptian minis thrown in for free like the original stretch if it funds, which it has.

So yeah, if you missed it first time around, try again now.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

My opinion post-Hegemonic kickstarter is more or less that I like Oliver Kiley and find his game to be fun, and if at all possible I want to support his future projects. I have absolutely no desire to give any money to James Mathe ever again, however.

Thankfully I'm pretty sure Oliver only worked with him since Minion was actually open to publishing his game, hopefully he'll move on to better publishers.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

jivjov posted:

Not many, I ordered two of the one-of-each-coin collector sets and only received one of them.

I ordered 1200 coins, so if mine ever arrive and you can not reach satisfaction with Minion, it should be no problem for me to ship you a set.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I got 770, was missing 30 coins upon arrival, and had replacements within the week.

gently caress if I know what happened.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

bdurso posted:

I ordered 1200 coins, so if mine ever arrive and you can not reach satisfaction with Minion, it should be no problem for me to ship you a set.

1) Why in god's name did you order 1200 coins??

2) You are truly a goon's goon, and may the dice fall even in your favor. Minion still hasn't replied to my "I'd kinda prefer to get the thing I gave you money for" message, so I'll give it a couple weeks and see if anything just turns up in the mail.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I ordered as many as I did to replace the busted as poo poo money from a game of Monopoly, keeping track of victory points in various cold war boardgames, and for general loving around. Useful of heavy little things.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fief: France 1429 has 27 hours left, and it seems like an incredibly cool game (that I think is already released in French so it's hopefully not going to be a surprise dud) with a ton of free expansions and stuff. Also, medieval coins as an add on! And some plastic stronghold things if that's your bag.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah, I know, and I get it... but it also somehow rubs me the wrong way a little bit to have the game designer exposing his private life to his customers, even if it's just a little thing. Not that it makes me think less of him, I just don't think it's wise.

This has been my experience with one of the two kickstarters I'm waiting on. I get an email and it's either awesome video footage of Warmachine Tactics being worked on(Frenchie is rad), or the Floating Vagabond guy alternating between telling me about his flu or shilling for other people's kickstarters. It's a shame because I'm a huge fan of the guy and the project, so I'm happy that at least the last one was some actual content.

VacuumJockey
Jun 6, 2011

by R. Guyovich
I made a giant fuckup and posted about the Kickstarter for Far Away Lands on the main page, which sadly speaks ill of my cognitive state. But here it is, a non-d20-based RPG inspired by Red Box D&D, Adventure Time, Zardoz, Order of the Stick and Grud knows what else. I have a weakness for this sort of stuff, so I kicked in 30 bucks...

Far Away Lands Blog posted:

So, what makes FAL unique?
When I started the actual process of creating FAL, my goal was to make a fantasy heartbreaker type game. I didn't want something overly serious, but at the same time I wanted an old school kind of feel. I also wanted rules that emulated the way I played games when I was younger, where we used some rules and added some rules of our own and changed some rules and whatever, where only a core set of rules were really set in stone and the rest was up to us to make and use according to how we imagined or interpreted what was written. While I think the FAL has some fantasy heartbreaker elements, I think it also has some fairly interesting aspects that set it apart from other fantasy rpgs. So, I'm going to talk about some of these things...

The game is quirky in its setting characters, and humor. PCs are rewarded for being awesome or funny. I think this separates FAL from a lot of more serious fantasy rpgs. It provides another choice of a more lighthearted, non-serious game with a bit more complexity than games like Risus (which I love). The medium range complexity of FAL deviates from lengthy rulebooks so as to provide a game that falls somewhere in the middle of the crunch spectrum.

FAL also uses both micro and macro levels of game play. I already talked about this when I cover the Companion Rules in a few days. But here is some more...

A lot of the narrative based mini-games allow for players to work together to create their own worlds, settings, histories, and versions of FAL. These mini games are not as competitive as they are acts of creativity, where players don roles and try and add to the world in which they will adventure. So, instead of the GM creating everything, players have an active role, or at least the option to have an active role, in the creation of the game setting. The guidelines provided for these mini-games are fairly open and present the overall nature of the game and the way it can be used along with the core elements and other mini-games.

On top of that, while the setting or history or whatever is being created, players have the option, and are encouraged, to take on more micro level roles as single individuals interacting in the story being created, thus allowing the story to have a more freeform and less of a predestined finality. In less abstract terms, say the players are using Historians of Far Away Land and have come to a point in history where a battle takes place, where heroes and villains are squaring off against one another. The players may wish to take on the roles of the lead characters in this setting and participate in a huge battle (utilizing the FAL Mass Combat rules of course :)). The game play then changes from a world creating exercise into more of an individual, micro level of play. The outcome however is a part of the history of the world created by the players as a whole. This also allows for nonlinear types of play as players can create histories, ancestral lines with reoccurring families, etc..

I think FAL has a unique game history, the way the world of FAL has come about, the devices that led to the world being so full of monsters and creatures. While there is a lot of standard fantasy stuff, there is also a lot of non-standard fantasy themes, elements, and characters. Pop culture easter eggs have been infused in the setting to provide some familiarity and some subtle jokes as well. A design goal of mine was to create a setting that felt unique while also creating something that paid homage to other games, cartoons, pop culture, history, and things that have influenced me as a writer/game designer.

Also, I like to think there are some nuances in the game, such as Battle Scars, Training Montages, and the use of various game play styles to add different levels of play to the game. When I say game play styles I am referring to the levels of crunch that players and GMs would be interested in initiating.

I think the artwork also sets it apart from most fantasy rpgs. I know there are non-serious rpgs or comedic/lighthearted games, and I think FAL adds nicely to that sparse category.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

NTRabbit posted:

I funded High Heavens the first time around, and now it's back up to fund the final stretch goal it fell short of back then, and do it in time for everything to ship together.

The final stretch was plastic minis for the third team, the Egyptians, and this KS is basically a second bite at the cherry for the game for those who missed out the first time around - original backers who went at Demiurge or higher get the Egyptian minis thrown in for free like the original stretch if it funds, which it has.

So yeah, if you missed it first time around, try again now.

Backing this so hard. I don't play games, I just love painting models and I'll be damned if it doesn't have some wonderful female miniatures that aren't suffering from some terrible tit-itus. Nary a giant nipple to be seen.

On top of that having miniatures of the weird hybrid egyptian gods will be excellent. I hope this stuff turns out as good as it looks.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lethemonster posted:

Backing this so hard. I don't play games, I just love painting models and I'll be damned if it doesn't have some wonderful female miniatures that aren't suffering from some terrible tit-itus. Nary a giant nipple to be seen.

On top of that having miniatures of the weird hybrid egyptian gods will be excellent. I hope this stuff turns out as good as it looks.

It looks nice, but it's over $200 for an untried game from an untried company. The guy also set his revised goal at $2k when he needed $9k - not to say he's dishonest, but it doesn't raise my confidence in his planning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
If you're looking for another reason to back Timewatch, Kevin just posted a big one in his update today.

quote:

It's worth noting that my art direction throughout TimeWatch is "don't gratuitously sexualize the iconic characters."

• Locked thread