Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Yeah, I'm definitely throwing down on pirate NZ-666.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh yeah, as a random tangent,

Today my club's beginner kits came over. HG 00 SS/G and AGE-1 FG were supposed to be the only options, but our supplier couldn't scrounge up enough 00 SS/G kits so we ended up just picking stuff from the inventory.

Seems 00 is pretty popular!

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Whoever chose the Jesta cannon has good taste.

Midjack posted:

The Mecha Model Guide for Beginners was written by a group out of Canada calling themselves Mono Eye Press after being funded on IndieGoGo last year and just released as an ebook:
http://www.amazon.com/Mecha-Model-G...cha+model+guide

And hard copy:
https://www.createspace.com/4549402

SNIP

They have some sort of tie to bandai, too, though I don't know if they have a stake in it (knowing bandai, I'd assume yes) or if they're just lending support because it hopefully helps them. Bandai was advertising it a few months ago saying they wanted Monoeye to become the English equivalent of Hobby Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Before I make an order with them, what's the average shipping time and cost like from HobbySearch?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Before I make an order with them, what's the average shipping time and cost like from HobbySearch?

One kit I ordered took about a month to arrive, another took about a week. That was through SAL, my only order through EMS took about two weeks because UK customs is stupid. Usually the orders are shipped within a few days at most.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SpikeMcclane posted:

They have some sort of tie to bandai, too, though I don't know if they have a stake in it (knowing bandai, I'd assume yes) or if they're just lending support because it hopefully helps them. Bandai was advertising it a few months ago saying they wanted Monoeye to become the English equivalent of Hobby Japan.

They have a long way to go if that's bandai's vision for them.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Neddy Seagoon posted:

As far as cost is concerned, Hobby Search has this super neato detailed shipping chart. Shipping MG Sazabi, HG GX Maoh and some tools to Germany per EMS is costing me 7000 JPY, which is fairly average in my experience.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

So today I had an hour of free time. Did I

a) work on the guide?
b) work on finishing my 3.0 so I can get started on the X?
c) finish prepping my Nu HWS so I can finally get around to painting it?
d) finish my HG V2 so I can spend more time helping newbie members practice priming next club meeting?
e) assemble those fully articulated 1/144 hands? Which are actually really cool but are brought down by being made of cheap plastic.
f) ignore everything I am currently working on and pull a random kit out of my backlog and prime some of it?

The answer is f. Guess the kit!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Based on the assflap, the stubby fuel canister, and the curved forearm thing - I'm gonna go with HGUC Sazabi. I can't recognize the other bits though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Well the Nu HWS is gonna need a buddy.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

I'm gonna go with HGUC Sazabi.

Bingo. Those are all parts of its left arm, its rear end, and one of the fuel tanks. HG Sazabi actually had a surprising amount of parts separation, and even two tones of red. Shame about the whole "legs will not stay on" thing because otherwise the model's very good.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Can we talk about revoltechs in here? I know this is the gunpla thread but I figure it's as good a place as any to gush about the experience I just had with AmiAmi. They're probably not the best place to buy Gunpla, but I just got a "pre-owned" Revoltech Enkidudu from them for an absolute steal. For those familiar with this particular item, you probably know that it was a mail-order exclusive in Japan and thus goes for upwards of $200 on ebay and the like. I found one listed under AmiAmi's pre-owned section for around 6900 yen. The box condition was listed as B (minor box damage), and the item itself was listed as A (like new). I didn't care much about the box and I've never seen this figure go for so cheap, so I went for it. It just arrived today, and here's the kicker...it was brand new. The box was still sealed. All of the accessory bags are still sealed too. So, basically, if you're ever looking for some rare, heavily discounted items, AmiAmi would be a good place to keep an eye on now that they've got a pre-owned section.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I was actually wondering about Revoltechs since I just finished Full Metal Panic Sigma and really friggin' want a Laevatein figure. Just wanted to know if the Revoltech or Robot Spirits was better as far as that one goes.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TARDISman posted:

I was actually wondering about Revoltechs since I just finished Full Metal Panic Sigma and really friggin' want a Laevatein figure. Just wanted to know if the Revoltech or Robot Spirits was better as far as that one goes.

We're getting a model kit from Koto in September.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

We're getting a model kit from Koto in September.

Oooh, that sounds sexy. Has anyone managed to get their hands on an MG Build Strike yet or are they still en route?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
There's a Metal Build figure of the Levatein coming out, and right now the RD is better than the Revoltech, imo.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

I'm still waiting on my X and my Star Build Strike. I impulse bought and built my Strike Rouge but after those come in, I'm done for awhile.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

muike posted:

There's a Metal Build figure of the Levatein coming out, and right now the RD is better than the Revoltech, imo.

I've never gotten or even seen a metal build figure of any kind - how are they, usually? All I've ever gotten in pre-assembled plastic is some D-Arts figures, and those are kind of hit or miss.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Metal Builds are usually the best looking version of a design you can find. They're about as durable as you'd expect diecast metal to be, though that doesn't mean they're invincible. I recall a friend of mine having trouble with his MB Exia's joints breaking.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Attention Unicorn Peasants; your shiny golden god has review pictures up. :wotwot:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/mg-1100-unicorn-gundam-unit-3-phenex_11.html

There's also pictures of the runners for the MG Sengoku Astray for anyone interested.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/mg-1100-sengoku-gundam-astray-runner.html

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Ahahaha, the decals on the Sengoku are literally just an assortment of kanji. That's amazing, Shame Nils didn't rename his swords though.

Also to the surprise of nobody, the main body of Phenex is covered in nubs. Joy.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Attention Unicorn Peasants; your shiny golden god has review pictures up. :wotwot:

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/mg-1100-unicorn-gundam-unit-3-phenex_11.html

drat SA's text limit, I can't fit all the :flashfap:s I want to put in here. No shots of the runners, sadly, but assuming Bandai does their usual and just adds some extra runners for the new bits, hopefully I'll get a nice standard golden unicorn V-Fin to put on my FA Unicorn. He did a great job hiding the cut marks though, given the state of the kit.

Looking at the decals, though... Did they just just include stickers? I usually don't have a problem with them but holy poo poo does it stand out here. Even waterslides and dry-rub decals leave residue, but nowhere near that much. :barf:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

poo poo, in GM mode it's a shoulder-mounted railcannon away from being a Glitter Boy.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

love it.
Gonna paint all that grey black though

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Fauxtool posted:

love it.
Gonna paint all that grey black though

I'm actually thinking of painting all the non-gold bits gold, just to make it even more ostentatious. My hobby shop has some Tamiya Gold Leaf and Titanium Gold, so I'm gonna buy those and practice some hand brushing with both colors to see which will look best.

Worst that'll happen is that I mess up some spare parts from previous builds.

Edit: That being said, looking it up there's also this spray-can variety, which might be better than doing the whole hand-painting thing. Are Tamiya's spray cans usually considered to be worth the price? I might just go with this instead.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 11, 2014

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Tamiya's stuff is quality, but I honestly wouldn't say they're worth their price usually. A friend of mine gets great results from Rustoleum, which is much cheaper and comes in a bigger bottle.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
I find that having both brushed/sprayed gold and actual chromed gold on the same figure looks completely terrible in almost all cases. If you want ostentatious, I would try something else - maybe metallic purple, or go completely crazy and start experimenting with sparkly nail polish.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Terry van Feleday posted:

I find that having both brushed/sprayed gold and actual chromed gold on the same figure looks completely terrible in almost all cases. If you want ostentatious, I would try something else - maybe metallic purple, or go completely crazy and start experimenting with sparkly nail polish.

Well, I was thinking more ostentatious in the totally gold instead of mostly gold sense. There's also some Tamiya metallic silver, which might go a bit better with the gold. Maybe I'll just get both and see which looks best on some test plastic.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
Anyone used these Gundam Pour Markers? They seem to perform really well for panel-lining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V_jzKKmFZI

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Seeing a Destroy mode unicorn is weird now that I've seen the light with Obligue Post's one (non transformed feet)
It does look glorious though, but it lacks the 1/100 Akatsuki backpack :shepface:

I wonder how well the Build Booster Mk2 would go with GM Sniper K9...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Turns out the HG GM Sniper K9 will be including eight 1/144 human figures. This would have sold the kit on me if I weren't so busy already.

tgv
Oct 16, 2008

unpurposed posted:

Anyone used these Gundam Pour Markers? They seem to perform really well for panel-lining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V_jzKKmFZI

At ~3 bucks a pop they could get pretty expensive and its nothing you can't do just by thinning out some paint and dropping it on with a brush

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Seeing as it's going to be a week at least before I can get my filthy hands on a Kampfer Amazing (stupid popular kit sold out everywhere local :argh:), I decided to put in the busywork on the stuff I'm going to slap onto it.

NEVAH ENUFF DAKKA! :orks101:

That's two System Weapon 005's, an Amazing Weapons Binder and an Amazing Booster.

And for the hell of it, just because it's what normally sits in that spot, my three RG's in their current poses.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is the recommended temperature on the paint label talking about the paint/part or the air? For example, would I be able to take my room temperature paint and gunpla outside for a few seconds to spray a coat on and then walk back inside to let it dry?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's talking about the paint. With that said, if it's too humid/cold outside, you aren't going to be able to spray well.

EDIT: Incidentally, MG Phenex has hit general release. If any of you guys preordered it, expect an e-mail soon.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

BlitzBlast posted:

It's talking about the paint. With that said, if it's too humid/cold outside, you aren't going to be able to spray well.

EDIT: Incidentally, MG Phenex has hit general release. If any of you guys preordered it, expect an e-mail soon.

:psyduck: HLJ was saying something about it releasing on the 28th

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Ignimbrite posted:

:psyduck: HLJ was saying something about it releasing on the 28th

HLJ says the 28th, and gundamguy said the 12th. Maybe HLJ just has an extra delay for some reason?

Do HLJ preorders show up in the account menu on HLJ? I set up a payment agreement and preordered mine, but it's not showing up. I hope they didn't gently caress my order up. :ohdear:

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I checked the official Bandai website to see what's up, and apparently it rolls out on the 15th. So I don't even know.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe a kit got out early from a brick and mortar store in japan and someone scanned the manual, the scans on gundam guy look a bit lower quality than hobby search usually has.

E: according to one of my friends' who's obviously used HLJ more than me, apparently they use placeholder dates for releases.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Feb 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

I checked the official Bandai website to see what's up, and apparently it rolls out on the 15th. So I don't even know.

Speaking of kit reviews, GundamGuy's got review pics of your new favourite.

http://gundamguy.blogspot.com.au/2014/02/hgbf-1144-gm-sniper-k9-review-by.html

The little Zeon soldiers aren't that good though. There's no "pointing-with-binoculars" guy or any with bent rifles.

• Locked thread