Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
If Captain Britain walked through a city centre in the evening, he'd have drunks leaving pubs to try and fight him with bottles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
But his power is that of belief! The strongest power there is.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

goatface posted:

If Captain Britain walked through a city centre in the evening, he'd have drunks leaving pubs to try and fight him with bottles.

He would be coming from the pub.

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

mind the walrus posted:

Man does Captain Britain exist for anything other than being humiliated by this point? I mean I know he had some pretty :krad: stuff in the 80s but I've yet to see a version of him in the modern era that isn't like this. As someone who gets sensitive about how people can denigrate Captain America, I feel bad for the Brits in the audience. Eh, they seem to be into self-deprecating humor though so maybe it washes off.

This line of discussion makes me sad.

I would imagine most British people would feel vaguely embarrassed about having a guy in tights poncing about.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
We'd assume he was Fathers for Justice.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I think whenever there is some big Nationalistic sporting event. (England playing in the World Cup. Andy Murray in the finals of Wimbledon. Etc...) Then he'd be loved, particularly by the Tabloids ala The Sun. At other times he'd be treated much in the same way Pete Wisdom treats him.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Captain Midlands always seemed like a much more believable British superhero.

Wisdom #1

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Pilchenstein posted:

I like to think that even if there really was a Captain Britain, most of the country would view him as a bit of a dickhead for dressing up like a flag and thinking he was important.

Have you seen how your head of state dresses up? At least Captain Britain did something to get where he is and earned the right to look silly :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DarkCrawler posted:

Have you seen how your head of state dresses up?

What, in a nice yellow dress and hat with flowers on it?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

MikeJF posted:

What, in a nice yellow dress and hat with flowers on it?

All the crowns and capes and stuff. I mean yeah, ceremonial and all but Captain Britain routinely fights like magicians and reality warpers and poo poo, I think he's entitled to wear the flag if the Queen's entitled to wear the combined GDP of half of Africa on her head for you know, being born.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

DarkCrawler posted:

All the crowns and capes and stuff. I mean yeah, ceremonial and all but Captain Britain routinely fights like magicians and reality warpers and poo poo, I think he's entitled to wear the flag if the Queen's entitled to wear the combined GDP of half of Africa on her head for you know, being born.
Say what you like about the queen, she always looks like money. :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Starsnostars posted:

Captain Midlands always seemed like a much more believable British superhero.

Wisdom #1

RIP Skrull Bealtles
Wisdom 6

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Re: Cap A & Cap B.

The best (Only, if I'm honest) story that I've seen the two in, Britain is a badass while running around in his underpants:

"I'm not a good follower, Yank, so I'll be right by your side!" :britain:

Captain America #306.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

I've always thought Captain Britain was a bit of a tosser but I'm Scottish.

Confirmed

Ultimate Comics Ultimates #1

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

RIP Skrull Bealtles
Wisdom 6

Like, the MAX Wisdom miniseries? Or is there a new one? Because I enjoy the Pete Wisdom character.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Like, the MAX Wisdom miniseries? Or is there a new one? Because I enjoy the Pete Wisdom character.

Yes MAX Wisdom mini. It leads into Captain Britain and MI-13

narm00
Feb 18, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The MAX series.

For what it's worth, Wisdom's writer did a pretty good Captain Britain in Captain Britain and MI:13.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Confirmed

This doesn't count since everyone on the Ultimates is a bit of a tosser.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Mikl posted:

And when did Guy become a red lantern?

When Johns finished his Green Lantern run, they changed all the creative teams on all the Lantern books. So they put Charles Soule (the guy who turned around Thunderbolts since Way left) on Red Lanterns. Hal Jordan, afraid that the Reds were up to something, asked Guy to go undercover, since he wore the red ring a while back. Worst comes to worst, they can always cure him via the Blue Lanterns like last time. Guy joined the Reds, where he immediately exiled Atrocitus and Dex-Star and took over. All the Blue Lanterns except Saint Walker (who is currently without hope) got killed, so Guy got all pissed at Hal and came clean to the rest of the Reds because gently caress the Green Lantern Corps. Besides, he found the Red Lanterns to be a pretty cool bunch of guys when they weren't following Atrocitus' orders.

Since then, the team has gone from Atrocitus' angsty space Punishers to Guy Gardner's hilarious space Wolverines. The team is far more likeable than any of the other Lantern teams flying around these days and it's easily one of the best books DC's doing right now.

He started sporting the Lemmy 'stache in the issue before this.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
He has also claimed space sector 2814 as Reds territory and told Hal to just gently caress off. Baz is ok as long as he only stays on Earth.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Gavok posted:

When Johns finished his Green Lantern run, they changed all the creative teams on all the Lantern books. So they put Charles Soule (the guy who turned around Thunderbolts since Way left) on Red Lanterns. Hal Jordan, afraid that the Reds were up to something, asked Guy to go undercover, since he wore the red ring a while back. Worst comes to worst, they can always cure him via the Blue Lanterns like last time. Guy joined the Reds, where he immediately exiled Atrocitus and Dex-Star and took over. All the Blue Lanterns except Saint Walker (who is currently without hope) got killed, so Guy got all pissed at Hal and came clean to the rest of the Reds because gently caress the Green Lantern Corps. Besides, he found the Red Lanterns to be a pretty cool bunch of guys when they weren't following Atrocitus' orders.

Since then, the team has gone from Atrocitus' angsty space Punishers to Guy Gardner's hilarious space Wolverines. The team is far more likeable than any of the other Lantern teams flying around these days and it's easily one of the best books DC's doing right now.

Huh, do you happen to know what issue it started being good? That sounds like it's worth checking out.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I'm way behind on the Red lanterns, last time I knew anything about them, every one except Atrocitus was rendered a mindless bloodthirsty psycho by their power rings.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Sefer posted:

Huh, do you happen to know what issue it started being good? That sounds like it's worth checking out.

Red Lanterns #21.

Prison Warden posted:

I'm way behind on the Red lanterns, last time I knew anything about them, every one except Atrocitus was rendered a mindless bloodthirsty psycho by their power rings.

You get like that when you initially get your ring, but once you drink from the red lake on their home planet, you get control of your facilities. You're just kind of pissy.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gavok posted:

Red Lanterns #21.

You get like that when you initially get your ring, but once you drink from the red lake on their home planet, you get control of your facilities. You're just kind of pissy.

Emotion Detected: Cattiness

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Emotion Detected: Cattiness

But Gavok just said Dex-Starr got exiled

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

The MSJ posted:

He became a Red Lantern once pre-Flashpoint, right?

How did you forget like the coolest loving thing that ever happened in comic books

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Confirmed

:stare:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

goatface posted:

They should've done a story where Captain Britain gets knocked out and dropped in the Falls Road in 1982.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

KayTee posted:

Re: Cap A & Cap B.

The best (Only, if I'm honest) story that I've seen the two in, Britain is a badass while running around in his underpants:

"I'm not a good follower, Yank, so I'll be right by your side!" :britain:

Captain America #306.

:britain: There really is no better way Cap B could have put that.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wonder Woman, don't know the number.

Haha! Wait...what?

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Schneider Heim posted:

From Thor: The Mighty Avenger #4. Thor and friends run into Captain Britain in a bar, and they have a misunderstanding of sorts.

Also, Fandral not knowing how phone numbers work.
When does this take place? Basically, did Captain Britain fall off the wagon?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Gavok posted:

On the recommendations of the board I caught up on all things GL on Saturday, since all the issues were like a dollar. The Red Lantern stuff is the best of the bunch (though I have a huge soft spot for Kyle and the New Guardians.)

I'd also like to point out that Guy started sporting a moustache one issue after one of the Red Lanterns said that the hallmark of a great tyrant is a great moustache.
OMG Foreshadowing!

But seriously Red Lanterns is pretty good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Fritzler posted:

It's not an in-continuity series. So I guess not? Maybe this world's CB isn't a recovering alcoholic. Yeah, let's go with that, it's a happier story that way.

Thor The Mighty Avenger is a really good comic and everyone should read it. Rather everyone should have read it so it didn't get canceled :argh:. Does anyone know if it ever got released as a trade or anything?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

TwoPair posted:

It's not an in-continuity series. So I guess not? Maybe this world's CB isn't a recovering alcoholic. Yeah, let's go with that, it's a happier story that way.

Thor The Mighty Avenger is a really good comic and everyone should read it. Rather everyone should have read it so it didn't get canceled :argh:. Does anyone know if it ever got released as a trade or anything?

There are trades and a complete collection (http://www.amazon.com/Thor-Avenger-Complete-Collection-Graphic/dp/0785183817).

Shame about the cancellation, it stopped when it was starting to really pick up steam.

quote:

I'd explain but that would mean telling you the entire issue so just read it for yourself!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

(UK advert for Captain Britain, source unknown)

Alan Davis posted:

The Lion Rampant was a real joke in the UK because, although it was a heraldic symbol, it was best known as a sign to denote the quality and freshness of eggs. There were all sorts of jokes about Captain Britain being a "good egg".

It's the Union Jack wristbands that do it for me.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Alien Rope Burn posted:

(UK advert for Captain Britain, source unknown)

It's the Union Jack wristbands that do it for me.

You'd think a company with Spider-Man as its figurehead would have learned its lesson and had as its #1 Rule of Character Design: THINK How Your Design Is Going to Be Drawn Thousands of Times.

Drawing all those Union Jacks all the time? The tiny chains around his neck? And you know that lion would be a garbled mess half the time at best.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Say Nothing posted:

Haha! Wait...what?

I'm guessing somebody Photoshopped Garfield out of the panels.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

Haha! Wait...what?

WW has always been pro-bondage, remember.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Phy posted:

But Gavok just said Dex-Starr got exiled

This displeases me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

MikeJF posted:

This displeases me.