Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

So the question I have is why is she complaining about being unable to find some one to date when she herself won't date someone like her?

As far as I can tell, it's just ultra-conservative doublethink come full circle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Hypocrisy and a total lack of self-awareness in the conservative movement? Whaaaaaa?

And yeah, if she wants to find a partner who will appreciate the headstrong, speak-your-mind, independent woman she appears to want to be, she maybe should have picked an ideology without a huge portion of the base that views women as little more than tits and ovaries.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Pander posted:

Just saw the Lego Movie. Great movie.

I have no goddamn clue how anyone could walk out of that thinking it was anti-capitalism, unless they associate the messages of "be unique/yourself" and "have fun in life" with anti-capitalism.

After actually seeing the movie it's completely obvious someone got ahold of some short description of it and saw a picture of the baddie and the name "Lord Business" and felt informed enough to write an outrage article. They spend approximately 1 minute of the intro explaining that he owns a lot of stuff (Akin to the Buy n' Large president/ceo in Wall-E) and it's just an excuse to explain why he can summon a robot police army into every action scene. By this standard ever villian who wasn't poor was an indictment of Mitt Romney.

And yes once you realize why the bad guy looks like Mitt Romney you will facepalm. It's stupid as gently caress and minorly spoilerish.

Thankfully the actual movie is so loving good I didn't think about any of this until just now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Cloud Coocoo-land is a libertarian utopia until the evil government controlled swat teams destroy it.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It's a problem because, for a small amount of time, they win and when in power Gotham is a much better place.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/02/10/Conservative-and-Single-The-Odds-are-Good-But-the-Goods-are-Odd

Article where in a hardcore Righty complains about how people like her are so disliked and marginalized that she can't find someone to date that isn't a loon like herself and isn't someone she knows from working in "the movement".

So the question I have is why is she complaining about being unable to find some one to date when she herself won't date someone like her?

Surprised that she doesn't just marry some dunderhead lawyer making mid-six figures at a do-nothing think-tank. There must be a million-billion of those bouncing around DC.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
They complained plenty about Wall-E as well, as you can imagine.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

Surprised that she doesn't just marry some dunderhead lawyer making mid-six figures at a do-nothing think-tank. There must be a million-billion of those bouncing around DC.

Because they are marrying young blondes to keep as trophy wives, which she is not.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SedanChair posted:

They complained plenty about Wall-E as well, as you can imagine.

Yeah but that's understandable. There's a lot of messages and explicit imagery that are antithetical to a RW mindset in Wall-E. The message of the LEGO movie is pretty much "Feel free to be creative in your own stupid way" and the imagery is so removed from reality that it's a stretch to say it has a message in itself other than "you can do goddamn anything with LEGOs".

In fact I could interpret the ending as a conservative leaning moral if I viewed it a certain way.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 10, 2014

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Because they are marrying young blondes to keep as trophy wives, which she is not.

She looks like the type of woman who, if she were a Democrat, would spend her days complaining about fat shaming in society.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2014/02/10/Conservative-and-Single-The-Odds-are-Good-But-the-Goods-are-Odd

Article where in a hardcore Righty complains about how people like her are so disliked and marginalized that she can't find someone to date that isn't a loon like herself and isn't someone she knows from working in "the movement".

Huh, weird how you can't seem to find a date as an average looking woman with a serious career in politics among a group who are highly dominant, aggressive individuals (not to mention the prediliction of your particular outgroup's males in objectifying women as trophies and incubators for their spawn).

e: Also she's apparently hispanic which pretty much makes her 'icky' to anyone in that scene.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 10, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Yes. Go ahead and call me a terrible person but if a really rich conservative dude married her I would guess, knowing that it was a guess and could be wrong, that he was gay.

I actually found the article to be solid even though it inevitably ended in an advertisement. I'm not surprised that the plump woman running in conservative movement DC circles is not happy with the companionship on offer and the nature of those offers (and I'm not sure those "overly-passive offers" were really even offers), but it wasn't something I had thought about.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Truth. And her dating pool is already pretty small to begin with. She admits in the article that at CPAC, "The odds are good, but the goods are odd."

I'm trying to imagine finding someone worthwhile to date at a convention for political nerds with Terrible Opinions, and I'm coming up empty.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Zeroisanumber posted:

That whole article is a humble brag, she is basically telling everyone how wonderful she is and how much all the other prospects suck. Basically I am too good for all of the men out there, just letting you know its so hard to date.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Yeah but that's understandable. There's a lot of messages and explicit imagery that are antithetical to a RW mindset in Wall-E. The message of the LEGO movie is pretty much "Feel free to be creative in your own stupid way" and the imagery is so removed from reality that it's a stretch to say it has a message in itself other than "you can do goddamn anything with LEGOs".

In fact I could interpret the ending as a conservative leaning moral if I viewed it a certain way.

It's pretty much just another example of political lunkheads who have to invent 'bias' everywhere because literally everything in your life has to be a battle of god drat ideological purity against the forces of whatever-we-make-up.

It's artificial paranoia at its most facile. The enemy is assaulting your malleable mind at every turn! It's in the magazines! The television! The water supply! The cereal boxes! The dog barking at you! The foreign family that moved in up the block! You literally can't just live life and take things as they occur - it's always just some lovely loving ideological battleground.

Mind you, these people are the same types who tried to have dungeons and dragons books burned in the 80's because they thought it was a gateway to satanic cults. (And many still believe this.)

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 10, 2014

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Spacedad posted:

Mind you, these people are the same types who tried to have dungeons and dragons books burned in the 80's because they thought it was a gateway to satanic cults. (And many still believe this.)

The only thing that came out of my D&D days was an appreciation for Rush. But pretty much any nerd who owns a d20 is going to have a stash of Rush and Jethro Tull somewhere in his house.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Spacedad posted:

It's pretty much just another example of political lunkheads who have to invent 'bias' everywhere because literally everything in your life has to be a battle of god drat ideological purity against the forces of whatever-we-make-up.
If you are a crazy ideologue in a bubble almost everything from a random commercial to the local weather report to a wikipedia article to is going to rub you the wrong way. You're not inventing bias, to you it really does seem like bias.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Flaggy posted:

That whole article is a humble brag, she is basically telling everyone how wonderful she is and how much all the other prospects suck. Basically I am too good for all of the men out there, just letting you know its so hard to date.

But, she's written a whole book about it and she really wanted to let you know that in her little opinion piece in Breitbart; buy my book please. Also, couldn't she have found a more sympathetic character than Ann Coulter to agree with.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

The only thing that came out of my D&D days was an appreciation for Rush. But pretty much any nerd who owns a d20 is going to have a stash of Rush and Jethro Tull somewhere in his house.

One of the (many) things that helped push me towards atheism was having my copy of Hero Quest that I brought in on a rainy day to play during a boring indoor lunch period confiscated by a paranoid teacher at the fundamentalist Christian school I attended. I was told flatly that it was satanic.

pangstrom posted:

If you are a crazy ideologue in a bubble almost everything from a random commercial to the local weather report to a wikipedia article to is going to rub you the wrong way. You're not inventing bias, to you it really does seem like bias.

It's people who literally have no concept of reality trying to have the world conform to their delusions rather than live in it. This is something that goes beyond any particular ideology - it's just that right wing conservatism seems a particularly pernicious and pervasive mode of this form of thinking here in the US.

This also flies in the face of a lot of bullshit you often hear from right wingers praising the 'common sense' of rural people and the like. While the pragmatism of the country survival might have been true at one time, these days it's city life where the strongest sense of pragmatic reality exists. Country life has increasingly become a bastion of delusion and disconnection from reality.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Feb 10, 2014

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Spacedad posted:

It's artificial paranoia at its most facile. The enemy is assaulting your malleable mind at every turn! It's in the magazines! The television! The water supply! The cereal boxes! The dog barking at you! The foreign family that moved in up the block! You literally can't just live life and take things as they occur - it's always just some lovely loving ideological battleground.
It's more that there are 168 hours in a week, and right-wing media outfits have to fill them with a certain amount of outrage whether there's anything to get outraged about or not. The machine needs to be fed, and it's not very particular about what it uses for fuel. So in a slow news week you get The Lego Movie as a Trotskyite plot to destroy capitalism.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Chantilly Say posted:

There's another private equity firm named Cerberus so no, nobody cares.

Cerberus wasn't an evil being or anything, he was a guardian, so that's not really the same. Now if there was a private equity firm named after the Greek god of brutal and mindless war and bloodshed, then there's a point to be made. :v:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Spacedad posted:

The enemy is assaulting your malleable mind at every turn! It's in the magazines! The television! The water supply! The cereal boxes! The dog barking at you! The foreign family that moved in up the block!

Have you considered blogging for Breitbart?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

FMguru posted:

So in a slow news week you get The Lego Movie as a Trotskyite plot to destroy capitalism.

It's just notable to me for how obvious it is. It's like someone was trying to troll them on purpose by giving just enough trappings of a Lorax/Wall-E movie in the previews and then minimizing it as much as possible in the actual film.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

Spacedad posted:

This also flies in the face of a lot of bullshit you often hear from right wingers praising the 'common sense' of rural people and the like. While the pragmatism of the country survival might have been true at one time, these days it's city life where the strongest sense of pragmatic reality exists. Country life has increasingly become a bastion of delusion and disconnection from reality.

Nice try city-boy, you can learn a few things out here in the country like how to take hundreds of billions of dollars of federal subsidy money and somehow convince both the democrats and the republicans to completely protect the agriculture industry and workers from risk (including food stamps) by taking away money from food stamps for lazy feral urban welfare queens. How's that practical yankee city-boy knowledge working out? *chews straw hanging from mouth*

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Spacedad posted:

Yes, it is my stereotypes that are correct. They are the delusional ones.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Stereotypes aside, there is a major problem with the city/rural divide in the prevailing attitude that city life is still the minority (number, not skin) experience for the country and that it's scary and mystifying for "most" people. That's real and it's stupid.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Stereotypes aside, there is a major problem with the city/rural divide in the prevailing attitude that city life is still the minority (number, not skin) experience for the country and that it's scary and mystifying for "most" people. That's real and it's stupid.

Wait....what?

IS this actually a thing, because......I mean, isn't it like REALLY obvious that more people live in cities than otherwise? (In the United States)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Madmarker posted:

Wait....what?

IS this actually a thing, because......I mean, isn't it like REALLY obvious that more people live in cities than otherwise? (In the United States)

Yup, you know how those maps that display which way the state went politically in presedntial elections. There's more "land area" to the rural states that go red, so therefore they're the real America, and the coasts should gently caress-off to LIEberal Land and let the real Americans run the place :unsmigghh:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Madmarker posted:

Wait....what?

But that doesn't matter because they surround us.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Madmarker posted:

Wait....what?

In short, if you say something about the good rural folks most people will just nod and let you carry on but if you say anything implying the opposite the hinterlands, sensitive to being called rubes, will be up in arms. The other default/good person is the small business owner (it used to be farmer but I think they had to let that one go).

(It's also as Iron Crowned suggested something conservatives will go even harder on, because well that is more their demo after all.)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Idran posted:

Cerberus wasn't an evil being or anything, he was a guardian, so that's not really the same. Now if there was a private equity firm named after the Greek god of brutal and mindless war and bloodshed, then there's a point to be made. :v:

I prefer the data contractor named after the arcane and badly-understood communications system that twisted its users into paranoia and madness: Palantir Technologies.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I prefer the data contractor named after the arcane and badly-understood communications system that twisted its users into paranoia and madness: Palantir Technologies.

Ever since I was a kid I wondered why they named condoms after a city famous for having its fortifications breached and burned to the ground.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Yes, it is my stereotypes that are correct. They are the delusional ones.

Every community is different, but you have across America have a well-oiled political machine bent on brainwashing many of these isolated communities with right wing bullshit. It's mostly a top-down thing of taking advantage of isolated communities and then playing to their worst fears while pandering to pernicious tendencies like nationalism, racism, homophobia, etc. As well as trying to create infighting and disrupt the cooperative spirit of local politics with lying fear-mongering bullshit.

To their credit, a lot of them don't fall for it though. The Daily Show last week I think actually mocked the Koch Brothers recent efforts to influence a local town election with outside money bullshit, where they sent out dirty politics lies about the candidate they didn't want designed to make people in the town start infighting. They weren't successful - the people of the area saw right through it - and actually earned contempt from both the guy they were supporting (without the consent of that guy) and his opponents.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 10, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Madmarker posted:

Wait....what?

There's a lot of factors that contribute to it but yes, it's real. For example in my state (Washington) we are treated every year to Republicans who will either say or imply that Seattle "skews" statewide elections and policy and that it doesn't deserve to do so, with the explanation of "Why not?" always boiling down to the idea that a partisan county map should also serve as a population density map somehow.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 10, 2014

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Intel&Sebastian posted:

There's a lot of factors that contribute to it but yes, it's real. For example in my state (Washington) we are treated every year to Republicans who will either say or imply that Seattle "skews" statewide elections and policy and that it doesn't deserve to do so, with the explanation of "Why not?" always boiling down to the idea that a partisan county map should also serve as a population density map somehow.

Back around the end of Bush II's first term, me and my coworker (who was a registered Republican), were making jokes about Clinton and Bush being roomates in hell. Another coworker came up to me just shaking because we had said "Bill Clinton" and flat out told me "the only reason you're a Democrat is because you're from Seattle and don't know any better." (I was living in Kansas at the time by the way)

EDIT:
I realized that was around 10 years ago now, so it could only have gotten worse since then. :psyduck:

Iron Crowned fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 10, 2014

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's increasingly not the minority skin experience either.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Madmarker posted:

Wait....what?

It was certainly a surprise to me when I learned that. When I was growing up I saw that almost anywhere you went in Michigan (the borders of which formed the borders of my worldview) people lived like they did in my little part of it, rural people doing rural things in and around rural towns. The only exceptions to this were a few small corners of the state, Detroit and Grand Rapids and such. Why should these few places tell the rest of us how to live? It never would have occured to me that an overwhelming majority of the state's population lived in these metro areas. Maybe I just couldn't really grasp that sort of population density or something. It wasn't something I thought much about while I was milking cows before school.

This "thought process", which doesn't deserve the name because it all took place deep in the lizard brain like most conservative thought, was shared by most people I knew. I'm only 31 so this wasn't all that long ago.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It's not like I don't feel for them, places like eastern WA really do feel like another world when I go there and lord knows everything in this state plays second fiddle to Seattle. But there are times like when they complain about their money being taken to support welfare mooches and state elected "dictators" where reality is the exact opposite that makes it something worse than just grumbling.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

It's a problem because, for a small amount of time, they win and when in power Gotham is a much better place.

Hahaha. No it doesn't. You paid about as much attention to that movie as the Fox News fucks who criticized it.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Gotham turns into Somalia with supervillians for technocrats....I don't know if that's any better but this is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You get the same mentality in much of NC. Some of my favorite pre-McCrory trashy GOP quotes were about early voting.

"Ralph Hise (R) posted:

"(It's) trying to limit the opportunities for corruption that particularly can occur with same-day registration," said GOP Sen. Ralph Hise, a co-sponsor.

Democrats, with their "Souls to the Polls" rallies, have taken advantage of Sunday voting to take groups of voters to the polls after church. Hise, from rural Mitchell County, said that gives urban voters an edge.

"It's not something used in my area," he said. "I think it's obvious that Sunday voting has been used by urban areas to increase their influence in the state."

Hise added that he wouldn't mind eliminating early voting completely.

"Ultimately," he said, "I'm an individual who believes that Election Day by the Constitution is the first Tuesday following the first Monday of November."