Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
Comparing my VW to a Citroen doesn't magically turn it into a Porsche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

blackswordca posted:

I think you have to have a "last name" in there and probably need to drop the numbers.

Barfolomew?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Ticket came in.. projector fault. OK, this actually has a happy ending.

It's a 3-year old NEC, but is just inside the standard 3-year warranty. I call up, I get only one prompt, which sends me to the correct department.. "first in the queue".. 30 seconds later, a guy picks up. A clearly British guy in a call centre here. I give him the details, he knows how to fix one of the problems I was having, then sends out packaging so the fault projector could be collected, no post cost. For a 3-year old, relatively budget projector.

We've had worse service with countless other items, and for what it's worth, NEC just got a lot more interesting to me. A call centre in the country you are calling from with a technically minded person immediately? I shouldn't be surprised, but I was, pleasantly.

I guess they're just one of those companies that's been around for ages making decent kit with solid support, not exactly in the consumer product spotlight.

vvvv Good god what the gently caress

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 10, 2014

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Our very important, used-by-everyone, NAS corrupted today because, apparently, my supervisor's preferred rebooting strategy is to just pull the power cord out of the thing and then plug it back in.

Now he wants to recover the data. Thank goodness it's a RAID setup.

Wait... no... it's RAID0.

:suicide:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Panasonic's business projectors have a 3 year de-install re-install warranty, so someone comes out to you, removes the projector from the ceiling and takes it off to be fixed, then puts it back up when they are done. It's insane.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Caged posted:

Panasonic's business projectors have a 3 year de-install re-install warranty, so someone comes out to you, removes the projector from the ceiling and takes it off to be fixed, then puts it back up when they are done. It's insane.

That's pretty glorious, and it's nice to hear about good support. These NECs were just budget ones, probably about £300 a piece, so they don't come with that lavish support, which is why I found a totally respectable process with no postage cost on my end refreshing.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Name chat: A bit of interesting trivia on transgendered names. In the city of San Francisco, due to the rules allowing anyone on the ballot for a special election after the Moscone-Milk assassinations, a number of people ran under pseudonyms including Dead Kennedys frontman Jello Biafra. It is now illegal to run for public office in SF under anything other than your legal name. Apply murky transgender naming rules/treatments to that and see a ticking timebomb of a lawsuit waiting to explode.

No tickets came in as unemployment entered its 6th week today :(

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

HalloKitty posted:

That's pretty glorious, and it's nice to hear about good support. These NECs were just budget ones, probably about £300 a piece, so they don't come with that lavish support, which is why I found a totally respectable process with no postage cost on my end refreshing.
Yeah it's very refreshing. poo poo like this is why I always push for people to spring an extra £200 or so for a Panasonic professional LCD instead of buying some TV to shove into a meeting room. Their support on their business products is outstanding.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

larchesdanrew posted:

Our very important, used-by-everyone, NAS corrupted today because, apparently, my supervisor's preferred rebooting strategy is to just pull the power cord out of the thing and then plug it back in.

I wish I still had that pic from my first job of a 12disk RAID 0 array, it ran backups to itself on a raid 0...

It was pure idiocity; apparently they stalled on my advice for 5 months after I left FINALLY changed the array to 5 + 2 soft drives and hours later they had their first of two drives fail.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

larchesdanrew posted:

What the goddamned hell?

Hope you got backups.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I wish I still had that pic from my first job of a 12disk RAID 0 array, it ran backups to itself on a raid 0...

It was pure idiocity; apparently they stalled on my advice for 5 months after I left FINALLY changed the array to 5 + 2 soft drives and hours later they had their first of two drives fail.

And then they blamed you for the drive failure?

"It was working until you messed with it!"

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Penguissimo posted:

And then they blamed you for the drive failure?

"It was working until you messed with it!"

Nope I was out of there by the time it happened; had the issue documented two ways to tuesday so if/when %dick% wanted to blame me for it I had it on the books for several months and was no way my fault.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

No tickets came in as unemployment entered its 6th week today :(

Wanna move back to Portland?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Oh man, I totally didn't remember you posting anything about it running backups to itself. That makes it even better, which I didn't think was possible.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Inspector_666 posted:

Oh man, I totally didn't remember you posting anything about it running backups to itself. That makes it even better, which I didn't think was possible.

Yeah that was their only storage device I'll dig back through the old thread I thought I remember saying that at some point.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

ConfusedUs posted:

What the goddamned hell?

Hope you got backups.

Hahaha, that's a good one. I suggested we set it up as a mirrored volume IF we ever get the data recovered.

:v: Why would I do that? We need the speed from RAID0!

There isn't a :suicide: big enough. Everything we have RAIDed is set up as RAID0.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If only there was a RAID level that was as quick as RAID0 but with some sort of redundancy

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
RAID 10?

Although, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this.

***edit***
dammit, too slow to reply

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Lum posted:

At the risk of going all Tumblr here... this ^^^

If you can't do that because of management shittery, stick with they/them and avoid using her name at all. Same tactic I've used with trans people who aren't yet out at work.

If you want to be a nice guy, call her Vanessa (and her) no matter what the other fucks say. It's actually pretty rude to "misgender" people when they've asked specifically to be seen a certain way. You might not approve, or understand it, but it's a nice courtesy to give someone.

Unless you want to be a complete rear end in a top hat, then go for it.

EDIT: Meant to respond to Daylen Drazzi, not Lum. Oops.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, its a pretty simple thing to do. So long as they understand that you will occasionally slip up and refer to her as a he when you're focusing on something else, that's a reasonable request. Hell, I do it for a friend who changed his gender a while ago from a she to a he. Occasionally i'll slip because physically he still looks female, but he understands that because durr, for 20 years i've been calling people him/her based solely on appearance, its not exactly something that you can just snap out of.

People who get pissy at people for messing up their pronouns once despite them making an effort to remember are assholes and alienating those who want to help. That last sentence is in fact, tumblr.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

larchesdanrew posted:

There ought to be some kind of certification for being allowed to use RAID-0. Like, if you want to enable RAID-0 on a card, you have to first enter your certification code, like how Professional Engineers have their PE# on their stamp when they approve building plans.

Wait, no.

The precious tears of people whose entire world has collapsed along with their r0 array is worth letting them do it.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

kensei posted:

Wanna move back to Portland?

It's not off the table, but I haven't gotten to the potentially relocate phase of the hunt yet.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Paladine_PSoT posted:

It's not off the table, but I haven't gotten to the potentially relocate phase of the hunt yet.

Doesn't Intel have a pretty good outpost where you live? I know oracle is hiring for stuff but I'd avoid them like the pleague unless you want to ensure a liver transplant. The poo poo my sister has told me erks me.

ChromaticLlama
Sep 2, 2011

I... I need to get out of helldesk.

I've spent a good 6 years here (since I graduated college with a BA in networking/information systems). My dept has evolved into the whipping post for every system outage (SharePoint/Office/Exchange 2013) that's been happening on a bi-daily basis now. My entire team is running on fumes and morale is at an all time low for the 3 years I've spent in this particular job. We've been under a torrential downpour of work since December. I'm thinking of applying for a position in IT Training just to get away from helldesk. Has anyone found any good skills to develop to get out of this lowly generalist role? I'm seriously starting to feel myself lose it. I'm on the fast track to alcoholism and resenting the human race.

I'm the type of person who'll delve into any subject matter but I typically need to find some sort of "project" so I can get interested. I've dabbled in Powershell/Perl, and other easy scripting languages (GUI design in Autohotkey). I'm trying to reverse this outlook and get interested in something so I can apply it to what I do.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

kareltherobot posted:

I... I need to get out of helldesk.

I've spent a good 6 years here (since I graduated college with a BA in networking/information systems). My dept has evolved into the whipping post for every system outage (SharePoint/Office/Exchange 2013) that's been happening on a bi-daily basis now. My entire team is running on fumes and morale is at an all time low for the 3 years I've spent in this particular job. We've been under a torrential downpour of work since December. I'm thinking of applying for a position in IT Training just to get away from helldesk. Has anyone found any good skills to develop to get out of this lowly generalist role? I'm seriously starting to feel myself lose it. I'm on the fast track to alcoholism and resenting the human race.

I'm the type of person who'll delve into any subject matter but I typically need to find some sort of "project" so I can get interested. I've dabbled in Powershell/Perl, and other easy scripting languages (GUI design in Autohotkey). I'm trying to reverse this outlook and get interested in something so I can apply it to what I do.

The longer you at the helldesk, the harder it is to get out. Seeing 6+ years at a helldesk is a major red flag on your resume to anybody that isn't in HR.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

kareltherobot posted:

helldesk.

6 years here

BA in networking/information systems

I'm on the fast track to alcoholism and resenting the human race.

I don't know how you're not already there.

I would say pick a path and get appropriately certified. Like if you like networking, go Cisco. Servers, Red Hat Enterprise or Microsoft plus some sort of virtualization experience. A recruiter told me just before I got my current job: "Get certs in CCNA, VMWare, RHEL. Then I can find you five jobs in a week."

ChromaticLlama
Sep 2, 2011

Sickening posted:

The longer you at the helldesk, the harder it is to get out. Seeing 6+ years at a helldesk is a major red flag on your resume to anybody that isn't in HR.

In interest of full disclosure, it was 2 years as "Application Support Engineer" and 1 year of "Installation and Licensing" support equaling 3/6 years of proprietary software support and the other 3/6 years in helldesk.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Doesn't Intel have a pretty good outpost where you live? I know oracle is hiring for stuff but I'd avoid them like the pleague unless you want to ensure a liver transplant. The poo poo my sister has told me erks me.

It's worth noting that Intel used stack ranking some years ago. I don't know if they still do but it might be worth looking into that; I'd personally consider that alone a deal breaker if they're still using it. (This was the Portland campus)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Che Delilas posted:

It's worth noting that Intel used stack ranking some years ago. I don't know if they still do but it might be worth looking into that; I'd personally consider that alone a deal breaker if they're still using it. (This was the Portland campus)

Microsoft JUST killed its own stack ranking. Thank god I didn't ever have to deal with that poo poo.

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

I'll show them... I'll show ALL of them...
Today I got the dumbest email I have ever gotten. (That statement includes the user who asked us to install Notepad.exe and the user that asked us to downgrade to Windows XP.)

Earlier this week we purchased five Macbook Airs, which are going to a community center in the city. For this reason, we requested that she find and approve some security cases (with Kensington locks) that we could install. They were little black glossy cases that we physically installed onto the machines.

Today I got an email that stated, and this is a direct quote, that we were to "...return the cases, as they are not feminine and accessible enough." The title of the email was "Important Color Issue RE: Macbooks."

My boss told her that we absolutely were not going to do that, so here's what she did. I am not making this up. She popped the detachable (not secured) covers off the screens, and told us she intends to SPRAY PAINT THEM DIFFERENT COLORS, AND COVER THEM IN COLORFUL STICKERS.

Well... at least they don't belong to my department...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Way to turn the clock back on equality 50 years.

"Females won't be able to use the computer unless it looks like a kitchen and is pink in colour"

What is wrong with some people?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Re: Important Color Issue RE: Macbooks.

Sod off. They're metal colored. Deal with it.

Regards,

IT.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Microsoft JUST killed its own stack ranking. Thank god I didn't ever have to deal with that poo poo.

Which is probably the biggest reason I never applied to Microsoft in the past.

semiavrage posted:

My boss told her that we absolutely were not going to do that, so here's what she did. I am not making this up. She popped the detachable (not secured) covers off the screens, and told us she intends to SPRAY PAINT THEM DIFFERENT COLORS, AND COVER THEM IN COLORFUL STICKERS.

Yes because the best way to get people to use computers correctly is to distract the poo poo out of them with a bunch of visual noise at the periphery of their focus.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Feb 11, 2014

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

Caged posted:

Way to turn the clock back on equality 50 years.

"Females won't be able to use the computer unless it looks like a kitchen and is pink in colour"

What is wrong with some people?

They aren't even for women in particular, they're going to a community outreach program. This woman is very, very, strange. She's told me in the past that in her house she has 10 or 20 rabbits. Not in cages, running free. I know this because she complained about "rabbits knocking my power cables out."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I dread to think what the condition that carpet is in

semiavrage
Apr 28, 2007

Caged posted:

I dread to think what the condition that carpet is in

One time I was working on her printer while she was meeting with someone in her office. Somehow she steered the conversation toward rabbits, where it stayed for the next five painful minutes.
TL;DR: Bitch loves rabbits.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

semiavrage posted:

One time I was working on her printer while she was meeting with someone in her office. Somehow she steered the conversation toward rabbits, where it stayed for the next five painful minutes.
TL;DR: Bitch loves rabbits.

RE: A ticket came in... Bitch loves rabbits.

Thanking mods in advance.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Paladine_PSoT posted:

RE: A ticket came in... Bitch loves rabbits.

Thanking mods in advance.

Please do the needful.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Rabbit season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Rabbit stew is amazing

• Locked thread