Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

AMD's response to the new lower-end nVidia cards will be an Oland-based R7 250X.

Since AMD has said you can use a Kaveri APU in Dual Graphics mode with an (also Oland-based) R7 240 or R7 250, but not with a (Bonaire-based) R7 260X, I'm guessing the new R7 250X will then be the most powerful GPU you can pair that way.

Edit: the source article speculates it may be Bonaire. Insert disclaimer about rumors and leaks.

Rastor fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Feb 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
I just picked up two 27" 2560x1440 monitors, and was wondering what mid-high end video cards will support those and a 1080p television? My old video card (a 5850) only supports two monitors, so I'm using the onboard video to support one of them. I'd really prefer to be able to disable onboard video completely, especially as I'm not even sure if iit will support that high of a resolution (and I often play games on the TV, so I don't want it powering that).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

subx posted:

I just picked up two 27" 2560x1440 monitors, and was wondering what mid-high end video cards will support those and a 1080p television? My old video card (a 5850) only supports two monitors, so I'm using the onboard video to support one of them. I'd really prefer to be able to disable onboard video completely, especially as I'm not even sure if iit will support that high of a resolution (and I often play games on the TV, so I don't want it powering that).

Any modern high end card should.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

subx posted:

The 5850 should have two DVI, one HDMI, and one DisplayPort, right?

I'm sure the only restriction is you can't run all four, or 3 on DVI (which includes HDMI).

So you should able to run 3 if you went DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort or DVI/DVI/DisplayPort.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

HalloKitty posted:

I'm sure the only restriction is you can't run all four, or 3 on DVI (which includes HDMI).

So you should able to run 3 if you went DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort or DVI/DVI/DisplayPort.

Yea i think you have to use displayport on the 5850 for 3 monitors. Active adapter also.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

Don Lapre posted:

Any modern high end card should.

I thought as much, just wanted to be sure. I haven't really been keeping up with the video card world in the past year or so, is the 780 likely to be replaced anytime soon with a newer version? Also the whole mining thing making AMD stuff expensive kind of sucks.

HalloKitty posted:

What Don said - my current monitors and TV don't have a displayport. It's not a huge issue currently though, as my left-side monitor is a 10 year old Dell 2005FPW (I think that's the model) 1680x1050. Amazing monitor honestly - it doesn't have a single dead pixel to this day. That's what I run on the onboard video, since I don't ever use it for gaming.

subx fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 6, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

subx posted:

I thought as much, just wanted to be sure. I haven't really been keeping up with the video card world in the past year or so, is the 780 likely to be replaced anytime soon with a newer version? Also the whole mining thing making AMD stuff expensive kind of sucks.

What Don said - my current monitors and TV don't have a displayport. It's not a huge issue currently though, as my left-side monitor is a 10 year old Dell 2005FPW (I think that's the model) 1680x1050. Amazing monitor honestly - it doesn't have a single dead pixel to this day. That's what I run on the onboard video, since I don't ever use it for gaming.

The 800 series will be out at some point this year. that could be march, or july or november. No one really knows yet.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

The 800 series will be out at some point this year. that could be march, or july or november. No one really knows yet.

Ah OK, I won't worry too much about it then. Prices will be ridiculous at launch anyhow. Thanks dudes!

subx
Jan 12, 2003

Jesus gently caress, where is there so many models of the EVGA 780? Just different coolers and clock speeds? Is there some other difference I'm missing?

I just wanted a 3GB 780, I didn't know I would have to decide between 8 different ones. Is there a particular one that's recommended or anything?

subx fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Feb 7, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

subx posted:

Jesus gently caress, where is there so many models of the EVGA 780? Just different coolers and clock speeds? Is there some other difference I'm missing?

I just wanted a 3GB 780, I didn't know I would have to decide between 8 different ones. Is there a particular one that's recommended or anything?

Evga. Excellent cooler, excellent warranty and support. The non reference coolers (the one with two fans, referred to by EVGA as 'ACX') is cooler and quieter, but if you have a very small, cramped or low airflow case you should get a standard cooler.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

Evga. Excellent cooler, excellent warranty and support. The non reference coolers (the one with two fans, referred to by EVGA as 'ACX') is cooler and quieter, but if you have a very small, cramped or low airflow case you should get a standard cooler.

No, I was already going with EVGA (ever since BFG went to poo poo years ago I've been on the EVGA bandwagon), but there's literally 8+ models of the 780.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=-1&IsNodeId=1&Description=evga%20780&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
If you're not overclocking, just get the base model (with the proper cooler for your case). If you're overclocking, superclocked models are good for the "I don't BIOS mod crowd," FTW is a step above that, and Classified is for people looking to volt the poo poo out of the card.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
The classified is actually a different board. It is set up to handle extra power. EVGA also pretty aggressively bins their chips, so a lot of time the higher clocked chips will overclock better. (not always but enough to matter).

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I remember hearing that not all AMD cards require a crossfire cable anymore. Is there a quick resource to check if one needs it? I'm looking to try Crossfiring a pair of MSI
R9 270XOC

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Zero VGS posted:

I remember hearing that not all AMD cards require a crossfire cable anymore. Is there a quick resource to check if one needs it? I'm looking to try Crossfiring a pair of MSI
R9 270XOC

I believe it's only the R9 290 series cards that don't need the cable. If your card has the slots to connect the cables, you still need to use them.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

The classified is actually a different board. It is set up to handle extra power. EVGA also pretty aggressively bins their chips, so a lot of time the higher clocked chips will overclock better. (not always but enough to matter).

This isn't entirely accurate. The Classified and ESPECIALLY the Kingpin versions are high leakage chips. This means they can clock extremely high but put out huge amounts of heat and require large amounts of power. My 780ti Classified @ 1554 MHz, 1.44V causes my overall system power usage under load to go from about 590 watts (everything stock) to 1090 watts. Watercooling the bare minimum to get the most out of these chips. If you're just air cooling, Classifieds are a waste of money. Just get the version with the ACX cooler which is loving HUGE and owns bones.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
hah that's hosed up.

Yes please, I'll pay an extra 20 bucks a month for 2fps

subx
Jan 12, 2003

I ended up with the FTW with the ACX cooller, as it's price was lower than the reference board (newegg special) and the idea of a quieter/better cooler is nice. Got my monitors today and they are beautiful, can't wait to actually use them for gaming. My 5850 supports the monitors fine, but I have my doubts on it's gaming performance (too tired to do much with it tonight).

Thanks for all the advice.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I picked up a EVGA 780 with the stock cooler since Microcenter had an open box one for cheap-ish ($450, have to pay tax but still comes out ahead), and for all the talk of the TITAN/780 cooler being wonderful, it still gets to be louder than I'd like even at ~50% fan speed. So now I have to decide if I want to return it and get something else...

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

GokieKS posted:

I picked up a EVGA 780 with the stock cooler since Microcenter had an open box one for cheap-ish ($450, have to pay tax but still comes out ahead), and for all the talk of the TITAN/780 cooler being wonderful, it still gets to be louder than I'd like even at ~50% fan speed. So now I have to decide if I want to return it and get something else...

The EVGA site sells their "B-Stock" returned GTX 780's, the type with twin fans instead of a blower, for $440 and $5 shipping: http://www.evga.com/Products/ProductList.aspx?type=8

It's only a one-year warranty but hey, probably a lot quieter and if the thing is going to fail at all it's probably going to be within a year.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

AMD's response to the new lower-end nVidia cards will be an Oland-based R7 250X.

Edit: the source article speculates it may be Bonaire. Insert disclaimer about rumors and leaks.
Aaaand it's none of the above. The AMD R7 250X is now announced and it's a rebadged Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition (Cape Verde).

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
Edit: I'm retarded.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Feb 10, 2014

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Triggsz posted:

Fitst post in this subforum go easy. I'm looking to do a small upgrade so i can run Planetside 2 more effectively so i have a question regarding a new GPU.

I'm currently running an old-as-poo poo computer with Q6600 2.4Ghz CPU (OC'd to 2.8) on a Asus Striker II Formula motherboard with two 8800GT's 1024mb and i was recommended the 660 Ti as a cheap upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I want to keep the price range around $250 or lower and would like to know how compatible it is with what i have.

The OP posted:

Mod Note: This thread is for general GPU and videocard discussion, head over to the parts picking megathread if you just need help picking a card to buy.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Wait you can do dual hybrid graphics with APU's and cards like the 7750's?

Well poo poo any idea if this will come to the R7's?

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

I wouldn't worry about hybrid graphics - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-crossfire-benchmark,3583.html

There is basically no performance increase between using an APU + 7750 in hybrid versus the 7750 by itself. All hybrid crossfire will introduce is driver issues when dealing with Crossfire.

E: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-A8-7600-Kaveri-APU-and-R7-250-Dual-Graphics-Testing-Pacing-Fixed - Kaveri apparently has actual scaling with Hybrid Crossfire compared to older APU's. Framerates are often higher with Hybrid but they also have nastier lagspikes compared to a standalone card or just the APU.

Beautiful Ninja fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Feb 11, 2014

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

Support was only released in the very latest Catalyst Beta drivers and there's a very short list of videocards that work with each APU. I can't find current support information on the AMD site but I believe that in general you have to use a dGPU with the same core technology and a similar shader count, so a Kaveri APU would pair with a low-end R7.

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I wouldn't worry about hybrid graphics - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/dual-graphics-crossfire-benchmark,3583.html

There is basically no performance increase between using an APU + 7750 in hybrid versus the 7750 by itself. All hybrid crossfire will introduce is driver issues when dealing with Crossfire.
This is actually fixed in the Catalyst 14.1 Beta (Mantle driver), though it sure as hell isn't mature and I don't know if anyone thinks it will keep working with new titles in the long-term. Just get a decent enough GPU.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah running 14.1 noticed a bump in things like CS:Go, Sleeping dogs, and WIC.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
The black screens have returned. :sigh: This 290(x) is beginning to try my patience.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Ghostpilot posted:

The black screens have returned. :sigh: This 290(x) is beginning to try my patience.

Check to make sure your overdrive settings haven't reverted... they do that to me sometimes...

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
I read that Afterburner has been resetting Overdrive somewhere (without reflecting it on CCC), check that.

Also 14.1 is giving iffy performance after sleeps sometimes.

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy

Ghostpilot posted:

Is your 290x a reference card? and does it have Elpida memory? then you may want to check out this thread at Overclocker

http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

Seems Elpida memory is the cause for a lot of problems like the black screen, even in my asus dc2 290x it has elpida memory and Im getting random black screens, lockups and BSOD's

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
So, I'm contemplating grabbing a NZXT Kraken G10 paired with a Corsair H55 (or equivalent) for my new 780 Ti. The aim is to quieten things down some, rather than going for balls to the wall overclocking, the loudest thing in my case right now are the 780's fans. Has anyone had any experience with single width 120mm AIO coolers on a GPU?

A downside to this is I'd be squeezing it into a Silverstone FT-03 mATX case, that's already got a H80 mounted in the top with 2 fans. I only really have 1 option without modding the case if I attempt this, hanging the H55 off the bottom of the H80, sandwiching the 2 radiators between 3 fans and hanging the whole thing off the top exhaust mount. So I'd end up with:

code:
High(ish) airflow fan
	 /\
    CPU's H80 Rad
	 /\
High Static pressure fan
	 /\
    GPU's H55 Rad
	 /\
High Static pressure fan
I know this isn't the most ideal setup, and I'd be taking a hit on the H80, but I'd guess that might be offset by the 780 not heating up the case as much? The other option is is to cut a 120mm exhaust mount into the back of the case, if there's enough space.

Someone tell me if this is a stupid idea, and it'll all end in tears...

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Pinny posted:

So, I'm contemplating grabbing a NZXT Kraken G10 paired with a Corsair H55 (or equivalent) for my new 780 Ti. The aim is to quieten things down some, rather than going for balls to the wall overclocking, the loudest thing in my case right now are the 780's fans. Has anyone had any experience with single width 120mm AIO coolers on a GPU?

I've got an H55 on my GeForce 680 in a Bitfenix Prodigy. Handles it like a champ at full power target, which is about the same power dissipation as a 780 at stock clocks.

That aside, this:

quote:

code:
High(ish) airflow fan
	 /\
    CPU's H80 Rad
	 /\
High Static pressure fan
	 /\
    GPU's H55 Rad
	 /\
High Static pressure fan

Looks like a terrible idea that will absolutely destroy your CPU's cooling.

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006
Yeah, I'm not married to the idea, its just the only option without taking a dremel to the chunky panels of the FT-03, or replacing it. Which I don't really want to do as I'm pretty happy with it. I'll have to do some measuring.

What kind of temps do you see with the H55? Most reviews I've found seem to use either a NZXT x40, or a dual 120mm radiator like the H100's.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Why not switch to an air cooler for the CPU and use the H80 on the video card? Should fit on an FT-03. Haswell overclocks like crap anyways. (Unless it's not a haswell in which case disregard.) Then again I get my 4670k to 4.2GHz comfortably with a NH-D14 inside a tiny case. I think you could fit one of those Phantek coolers and the H80 on there... maybe.

deimos fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 11, 2014

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Pinny posted:

Yeah, I'm not married to the idea, its just the only option without taking a dremel to the chunky panels of the FT-03, or replacing it. Which I don't really want to do as I'm pretty happy with it. I'll have to do some measuring.

What kind of temps do you see with the H55? Most reviews I've found seem to use either a NZXT x40, or a dual 120mm radiator like the H100's.

About 60 C under load, which is an overclock to ~1228 MHz core and 132% power target. That's -30C from where the reference cooler was.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Anyone have a shield? I might be doing something stupid.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

veedubfreak posted:

You're buying an Nvidia shield? Yeah, that's definitely stupid.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

veedubfreak posted:

If you have clicked order then you have already done something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinny
Sep 8, 2006

deimos posted:

Why not switch to an air cooler for the CPU and use the H80 on the video card? Should fit on an FT-03. Haswell overclocks like crap anyways. (Unless it's not a haswell in which case disregard.) Then again I get my 4670k to 4.2GHz comfortably with a NH-D14 inside a tiny case. I think you could fit one of those Phantek coolers and the H80 on there... maybe.

I'm running an i5 2500k @ 4.4ghz with the H80. It sits around 48-50C under load and theres only a slight ramp up of the fans. I think with a decent Air cooler it'd be hard to cram the a H80 in there at the same time.

I found some guys custom 2 rad loop (http://i.imgur.com/c7sP1xx.jpg) that uses the angled bracket above the PSU as a rad mount with a low profile fan. Which is probably 10x better than sandwiching them. There's a vent on the side panel that that fan pulls from, plus I wouldn't lose the intake at the bottom angled towards it like that custom loop does. The only problems I can see with this approach is a low profile 120mm fan might not be beefy enough while staying quiet, and the heats being dumped into the case rather than pushed out.

Factory Factory posted:

About 60 C under load, which is an overclock to ~1228 MHz core and 132% power target. That's -30C from where the reference cooler was.

My 780 is nudging 80C most of the time and the fan hits a whiny 80%+. If I could knock that down to under under 70C with G10 and an AIO cooler, while staying quiet I'd be pleased. Anything lower than that would be a bonus.