Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Tenebrais posted:

They could be spirits taking the form of students to fit in. Or Max's mind is filling in the gaps of vaguely humanoid figures in the school halls. We still don't know how most of this stuff works.

Or, yeah, maybe some horrible tragedy.

Tragedy like "...flipping his nuggets! Just like--" and "...blowing up buildings, or worse."

E: Oh, while I'm at this. Lefty has a really nifty trick on this page.

Unhappy Meal fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Feb 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think Zack actually answered questions about all those kids back when he showed up on his friends streams.

Basically the answer is they aren't all from the school, Mayview in general is a bit meeting place for spirits and such, and the school is a hotspot from some reason. I can't remember if at this point in the comic he established the "ghosts don't have feet" rule yet. They might some be spirits.

Also I just want to mention how clever having ghosts and spirits look purple when you first start seeing them works on that page. It seems like just "unimportant background" coloring and then BAM empty hallway. I don't think I've seen a single person actually notice the purple and expect that.

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Feb 7, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mystic Mongol posted:

As spectrals, Spender and Isabel deal with threats and dangers that they will receive absolutely no help with. What are they going to do? Call a cop, trust the military, hire a private contractor to put enormous locks on the doors? They have to be self-reliant, and Grandpa's pushing both of them to be tougher and more independent--to stop looking to others for help and take care of themselves. Even his lecturing of Spender is less, "Stop being evil," and more, "Stop being evil where people can see, nerd."

Maybe you disagree with this. There's a lot to disagree with! But he clearly cares for both of them.

Grandpa is basically doing what he's warning Spender about, having good intentions while doing awful things. Sure, she needs to defend herself, but he's gone so far that she doesn't think he cares about her, and, well, his methods are to call a twelve year old an embarrassment and say she's not worthy. Not to mention revealing something she seems to have a phobia of to someone twice her age so that person could beat her in a fight. He's kind of an abusive dick and he should take his own advice that he gave Spender instead of making his granddaughter feel like garbage.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Being a dick to your granddaughter and going down the path of evil are in kinda different leagues.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So, I wonder what the dogs were saying? That skull language might be just gibberish though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Hey, rereading is interesting in that you can pick up stuff.

For example: here, Doorman tells Max's batsnake that "[his] power is nothing to be afraid of. Riddles and word games." Earlier, he was punning while wielding his bat and didn't seem to be aware that he was speaking (surprised reaction at Isaac's reply). And Isaac seems to have picked up on it when he mox Macks. Or mocks Max.

I'm kind of wondering what's the link between magnetism and wordplay, though.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Cat Mattress posted:

I'm kind of wondering what's the link between magnetism and wordplay, though.
Puns are a babe magnet.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cat Mattress posted:

Earlier, he was punning while wielding his bat and didn't seem to be aware that he was speaking (surprised reaction at Isaac's reply).

I think he was just surprised that Isaac thought he was making a point. Max has consistently been kind of a smartass.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, look at that. This is going to end badly for someone.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I know how the language works but it still took me a bit to read it.

That said, dog is gonna die.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Out of the frying pan...

Of course, Spender is going to interrupt in the best way.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
I really love Forge man.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
What are the chances that Forge dude will actually avoid battling Spender?

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
Pretty much none. For all his show of self control I think the only things Forge likes are violence and drama which he'll generate plenty of if they throw down.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Can someone transcribe? Language hurts my eyes for whatever reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
2. ...too small.
4. The Ghost Train!?
5. All the metal I need... right in front of me.
6. A cruel temptation.
9. Mistake.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

And then he says "Mistake" to the dog. Doggies gon' die.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that dog is hosed unless it avoids whatever Forge throws at it and then Spender shows up to distract him while it gets away. Either way, though...

It's a pretty safe bet that Spender and Forge are going to go at it. And, given what we know, I doubt Forge will win that fight, though he might escape perhaps. Either way, after that I'm thinking Spender will find the locket. Which will probably lead him to the Doorman. From there, between the Consortium's presence and interference (they're investigating the area and something like that being here is exactly what Spender doesn't want them to find), the Doorman's own faction, Isaac's involvement, and everything else, things will probably get really messy really quickly. And that's not even getting into the Brotherhood of Man, whatever they are, or MAx's spirit and its faction.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On a second reading, Max's spirit said that it wasn't referring to its faction, after saying that the mysterious "she" who Doorman follows should fear broken gods.

I really doubt BL is "she". Anvildragon told the shadowrabbit not to lead the pixeldogs to "her". So "she" is in Mayview somewhere. Comedy option: She's that deer lady Isaac helped out.

So we've got Spender and his mysterious agenda, the Activity Consortium, the Cousinhood Man, the Doorman's faction, Riddleserpent's faction, and this "broken god(s?)" faction. I'm not sure if the dogs are from Riddleserpent's faction or the broken gods or yet another unnamed group. Anvildragon appears to be an independent party who happens to owe the Doorman's leader a debt. And we don't know if Isaac's storm god is with any of the spirit factions or similarly independent. He certainly doesn't appear to be with any human faction.

There's a lot of room for conflict here. :catstare:

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Almost need a chart o keep it all straight. It's basically my second most favorite part of the comic. The first being just the amazing grasp of comedy Zack has.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I have a feeling that once poo poo starts to get real, we'll be going "oh" every page

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

New page!

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
New page up. I wish he'd do subtitles for that ghost language, tilting my head to try and read it gets old.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Coach Sport posted:

New page up. I wish he'd do subtitles for that ghost language, tilting my head to try and read it gets old.
Tonight, then?
I suppose that’s fair.
Well…
One last gambit can’t hurt.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

That was an impressively nasty trick that dog just pulled.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I almost get the sense that Forge is preparing to be killed by Spender, from Forge's body language and word choice.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Yea, that was clever of it to use its last action like that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Brannock posted:

I almost get the sense that Forge is preparing to be killed by Spender, from Forge's body language and word choice.

You know, if he were discorporated, he could get through the little door.

quote:

Yea, that was clever of it to use its last action like that.

Makes me wonder what sort of creature it is, to be willing to sacrifice itself in that manner while also being smart enough to come up with that trick.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Rand Brittain posted:

Makes me wonder what sort of creature it is, to be willing to sacrifice itself in that manner while also being smart enough to come up with that trick.

I wonder if that was somehow the plan from the start?

Edit: The second part, not the first

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Trolling a dude at the cost of your own life. That is loving commitment.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Rand Brittain posted:

I think it realized it was hosed anyway and then decided it might as well have a partner on the road to hell.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

AnonSpore posted:

I think it realized it was hosed anyway and then decided it might as well have a partner on the road to hell.

Probably this. There's almost no way it could've timed its jump perfectly off the train to land right next to Forge like that. The dogs overheard the bit about the train and probably decided to hop on, hoping Spender wouldn't be along for the ride that night. They got found, red dog jumps off, sees forge and decides to gently caress him over and at least accomplish whatever goal doing that would serve since he's dead anyway.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Rand Brittain posted:

Spirits can't survive discorporated for very long. I imagine he plans to possess an item on the Ghost Train, or possibly a person. He might try Max and we get to learn more about Max's spirit.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Angry Walrus posted:

Spirits can't survive discorporated for very long. I imagine he plans to possess an item on the Ghost Train, or possibly a person. He might try Max and we get to learn more about Max's spirit.

If he does grab for Max it creates some really interesting stuff. Since Forge is aligned with The Doorman (Roughly) he's kind of at odds with the Magnet Snake.

But being able to manipulate the form of metal AND having magnetism would be so cool!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Shame that I'm pretty sure that this guys gray energy and not black energy.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
Does energy color matter with regards to possession? The one ghost was going to possess Max's dad, and he's no spectral so, I would imagine, lacks color energy.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shame that I'm pretty sure that this guys gray energy and not black energy.

I think everything we've seen so far is steam coming off of the super-heated bits of metal/his fingers, not spectral energy. It's always been shown to be very bright and vibrant, the trails of stuff Forge produces have been way more subdued in comparison, and has that "tssssh" sound effect which brings to mind water hitting something super hot too. Who knows what his color is!

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

I think non-spectrals are like objects. No energy at all so anything can posses it.

Bussamove posted:

I think everything we've seen so far is steam coming off of the super-heated bits of metal/his fingers, not spectral energy. It's always been shown to be very bright and vibrant, the trails of stuff Forge produces have been way more subdued in comparison, and has that "tssssh" sound effect which brings to mind water hitting something super hot too. Who knows what his color is!

Err sorry I should of clarified. I'm going off of out of comic things Zack said. In the commets here http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-42/

Whitenoise Poster fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Feb 11, 2014

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Angry Walrus posted:

Does energy color matter with regards to possession? The one ghost was going to possess Max's dad, and he's no spectral so, I would imagine, lacks color energy.

That's actually a fair point. The entire reason spirits possess people when they're weak is so they can snack on their spectral energy to recover. If that spirit, who did seem at least somewhat competent, wanted to posses Max's dad then it must have stood to have something to gain from it. Maybe possession can make someone into a spectral? It's also worth noting here that Max started becoming one almost as soon as he arrived in Mayview, but he fully became one when he was right next to a Tool. It may be possible that the Tool made him into a compatible spectral, rather than him happening to be have the right kind of spectral energy.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Zack did an interview on his stuff! He talks about the development of the story. If you're interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeJFR9Pv7O8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Slime posted:

Maybe possession can make someone into a spectral?

This is another thing he told us. If someone who is not a spectral becomes possessed, they slowly become a spectral of the same color of the spirit possessing them.

It's kinda annoying that a lot of information of the world of the comic is outside of the comic. Someone should make a wiki of everything Zack's ever said.