Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I just had a thought: The Adventurer and his Fox are a throwback to Four Heroes of Light right?

So does that mean he is the hidden boss that rips you a new rear end in a top hat as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
So I finally got past the Merchant fight. Had to burn a 2600 Power Moonbeam summon to do it, but now I can finally move on with the story. Even with two Knights on Protect duty I still had to use the summon...maybe level 15 was not the best time to do that fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orange Crush Rush posted:

I just had a thought: The Adventurer and his Fox are a throwback to Four Heroes of Light right?

So does that mean he is the hidden boss that rips you a new rear end in a top hat as well?

Yes, he's the game's optional superboss. He felt pretty pathetic to me though. The gimmick is that he revives if his fox is alive and vice-versa.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

ShadowedFlames posted:

So I finally got past the Merchant fight. Had to burn a 2600 Power Moonbeam summon to do it, but now I can finally move on with the story. Even with two Knights on Protect duty I still had to use the summon...maybe level 15 was not the best time to do that fight.
I think I did it around Level 19 or 20...I made sure everyone's max HP was over 600, I just spammed physical attacks on him, if anyone dropped below 600 I healed them. I completely ignored Khint. I may have used my own Moonbeam (not a Summon) on him, too. I had gone in earlier with lower levels (before I did the Vestal Cave), and got absolutely murdered by him. After that, though, I was able to go ahead and complete the sub-quest (although in the last fight, I again ignored Khint. After I killed the Time Mage, I realised I'd have to kill him too. :v:)

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I think I burned a 9999 friend summon on that fight. Which the goon who sent that has since updated to 24k, which I am holding on to for now.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Around what level did people do the chapter 2 boss Rusalka I keep trying to fight him around level 30 on Hard but his submerge attack one shots almost my entire party even with shell and default up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShadowedFlames posted:

I did it at level 14 on Hard. I must have lucked out. I mean, it took me a couple of tries, but once I got the Khint out of the way the only real danger was if Profiteur targeted the same person with Takeover twice in one turn. Since he didn't always do that (and if he did I'd have a "free" turn while he regained BP in order to revive/heal), I just took it slow and wore him down. Specials helped a ton, though, especially the healing specials the staff gets.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Harrow posted:

I did it at level 14 on Hard. I must have lucked out. I mean, it took me a couple of tries, but once I got the Khint out of the way the only real danger was if Profiteur targeted the same person with Takeover twice in one turn. Since he didn't always do that (and if he did I'd have a "free" turn while he regained BP in order to revive/heal), I just took it slow and wore him down. Specials helped a ton, though, especially the healing specials the staff gets.

I only fought him once but almost every single time he'd default then takeover twice. It was kinda tough with 700-800 HP on most of my guys but doable.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
I'm somewhere in Chapter 1, and I am really loving this so far. I love how customizable everything seems to be. Game too hard? Turn off random encounters. Want to grind some money, but don't want to overlevel? We can do that. Going well, but a particular boss is too tough? Have a friend 1-shot it.

My only regret is that I didn't properly understand abilink when I set it up, so I basically have access to all class abilities as soon as I unlock the class. Kind of took the wind out of my sails in terms of skill discovery, and the need to level up a job (minus things like spell levels being tied to job levels, I guess?). I could just stop linking with those people... but I've tasted power, and it tastes good.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Russad posted:

I'm somewhere in Chapter 1, and I am really loving this so far. I love how customizable everything seems to be. Game too hard? Turn off random encounters. Want to grind some money, but don't want to overlevel? We can do that. Going well, but a particular boss is too tough? Have a friend 1-shot it.

My only regret is that I didn't properly understand abilink when I set it up, so I basically have access to all class abilities as soon as I unlock the class. Kind of took the wind out of my sails in terms of skill discovery, and the need to level up a job (minus things like spell levels being tied to job levels, I guess?). I could just stop linking with those people... but I've tasted power, and it tastes good.

Your stats are directly linked to job level so that's still important.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

FrickenMoron posted:

Your stats are directly linked to job level so that's still important.

I've actually been wondering about this. Are the stats determined by your acquired level, or do you get extra stats from Abilink?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Abilink only gives you the abilities themselves, no stats. They are derived from your own job level.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
So I just got the Merchant class. Man that is one annoying boss battle. Not really tough but annoying. Only Ringabel had over 600 hp as a monk, just hedged against the double takeover (this is now rpg lingo thanks bravely default). I found it easier to get Khlint to ditch the guy since you only have to worry about double takeover as opposed to takeover + brave doubletap from Khlint. Also I just realized I totally forgot to steal from him :qq:.

I almost tore my hair out at how much damage the orcs in the prologue did though. Even on normal a focus fire from thrust could kill Agnes through default :negative:.

What's the deal with Beelzebub (the nemesis) though? The game recommends level 10 for it which seems really low.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 10, 2014

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

What's a good way to cheese pg in late chapter 2? I have the merchant class but I'm confused how the poo poo works when it's passive.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Comrade Flynn posted:

What's a good way to cheese pg in late chapter 2? I have the merchant class but I'm confused how the poo poo works when it's passive.

The passive does not stack with itself as it says it will unless you multiple merchants.

Also FYI for anyone wondering: net friends resets at midnight Tokyo time so the description is technically correct.

Lysdexic
Jan 3, 2008
What time is it? It's about Lunch o' clock

Stormgale posted:

Around what level did people do the chapter 2 boss Rusalka I keep trying to fight him around level 30 on Hard but his submerge attack one shots almost my entire party even with shell and default up.

I'm also having trouble with this part on hard. I can't beat the red magesidequest boss in this section either, every time I damage him he heals it all back. I am around level 30, pretty typical job layout I think, with Edea as a spellfencer/knight, Tiz as a thief/ranger, Agnes as white mage/summoner, and ringabel as black mage/time mage.

AdolChristin
Jul 10, 2006
The Grand Poobah
I have a quick question about how the spreadsheet in the OP works. So I post the friend codes I added and then the same code as to be added and people remove their codes as they add me back? Sorry for the silly question but I'm definitely looking for some friends to abilink with!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, what the hell was that ending? Beyond "buy the sequel, scrublord!"

underscoremx
Apr 4, 2011
This game is awesome because I don't even remember the last time I used the "Defend" button in a jrpg.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Lysdexic posted:

I'm also having trouble with this part on hard. I can't beat the red magesidequest boss in this section either, every time I damage him he heals it all back. I am around level 30, pretty typical job layout I think, with Edea as a spellfencer/knight, Tiz as a thief/ranger, Agnes as white mage/summoner, and ringabel as black mage/time mage.

Ok for that guy ((Spoilers for a Chapter 2 boss obviously)) I beat him about the same level as you by completely ignoring how you usually fight bosses, no burn turns or default shenanigans, just do small amounts of damage with powerful attacks 1-2 each turn, then if you notice he has >2 BP (as he always spends his first on cure) default to survive the damage, then continue, purging status effects as you need to, I beat him pretty easily after that with Mnk Tiz BLM/WHM Agnes, Spellfender/Knight Ringabel and Thief/ranger Edea

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, he's the game's optional superboss. He felt pretty pathetic to me though. The gimmick is that he revives if his fox is alive and vice-versa.

Fighting him on hard was impossible for me. He is the only thing I did not complete because his damage output is insane, you need multi target attacks to even scratch him and his minion revives all the time.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Is there any light magic besides Holy? I'm in Eternia right now and don't really have anything to hit the archdemons for super-effective damage

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

So I've been trying to beat the Nemeses Belphegor (not sure if that's really a spoiler or not, but better safe than sorry), and it is pretty consistently crashing on me a couple turns in. I've found a couple reports of that happening to other people, but can't really find if there's a particular action causing it or if this is just a buggy battle. Anyone know any further information on it?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Is there a reason why some of the optional quest boss fights in Chapter 5 only give 999JP and no EXP?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cat Machine posted:

Is there a reason why some of the optional quest boss fights in Chapter 5 only give 999JP and no EXP?

Asterisk holder's never give exp unless they have mooks, from what I remember.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
Man I'm only on Chapter 3 after getting it the morning it came out and seeing all these black bars about chapter 5 is making me really curious. A few questions, unrelated to that, is it normal to take like 10 hours per chapter? It's looking like that's roughly how it's going for me, at something like 25 part way through chapter 3. Also, is it normal to start feeling like the asterisk users in late chapter 2-early chapter 3 become easier? I'm just on normal with totally default settings, don't grind at all, sometimes I even turn encounters off to backtrack to inns, but (job unlock time spoilers I guess?) Ranger, Valkyrie (especially), Pirate, Performer (also especially), and the crystal monster boss in ch2 (not an asterisk user though) were total chumps. Red Mage on the other hand was a bit tricky.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Endgame structure questions:

Are Chapter 5 and 6 sidequests literally identical, or just not different in the way that 6 and 7 differ? If I trigger the Final Chapter after clearing all sidequests in Chapter 5, do they return in Final? If I trigger the Final Chapter before clearing sidequests, are the sidequests any different than they were in Chapter 5? Same question for Chapter 7 and the True Final Chapter.

I don't care about the narrative since it's dumb as all hell, but what I'd like to know is the best way to progress though all unique (even if only marginally so) content while getting endgame gear while I still have time to use it and not being horribly under or overleveled for content I have no other reason to do.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

drat it. I keep forgetting to steal from bosses. Something tells me I'm going to have to correct that if I'm going to keep playing on Hard.

I'm in the Miasma Woods now and getting absolutely destroyed by random battles. The worst part is that since I can't use the airship the only places to go grind are either on the world map outside of Ancheim, which is fairly slow, and in the woods themselves, in which each random battle is a horror.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Francis posted:

Endgame structure questions:

Are Chapter 5 and 6 sidequests literally identical, or just not different in the way that 6 and 7 differ? If I trigger the Final Chapter after clearing all sidequests in Chapter 5, do they return in Final? If I trigger the Final Chapter before clearing sidequests, are the sidequests any different than they were in Chapter 5? Same question for Chapter 7 and the True Final Chapter.

I don't care about the narrative since it's dumb as all hell, but what I'd like to know is the best way to progress though all unique (even if only marginally so) content while getting endgame gear while I still have time to use it and not being horribly under or overleveled for content I have no other reason to do.

5 and 6 are mostly the same. Same sidequests as they were in 1-4, same place and same enemy set up generally. They're harder and try new things and some have new story. 6 does allow you to get a new asterisk and moves a couple of fights and brings one new one in. 7 switches it up a bunch. It rejigs the fights and brings things like the Knight and Monk into the Black Mage fight. They all have good gear you can steal in this chapter. Chapter 8 jigs the fights up yet again.
You can get the final chapter at any point in chapter 5 onwards by mashing X to break a crystal. You get the true final chapter by completing the release crystal cycle in chapter 8.

The best way to see everything is do 5 and 6 as usual, break the final crystal in 6. Finish the game. Save. Advance the plot by releasing the crystal. Continue. 7 and 8 are based on you being level 99, so you can't overlevel really.

They don't really return because you jump between worlds and each of the job masters in each world is a bit different (if the scene is changed at all, some aren't) so if you miss the sidequest in chap 5, you won't get a chance at chap 5's dialogue again.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 10, 2014

cap601
Feb 16, 2011

Aurain posted:

7 and 8 are based on you being level 99, so you can't overlevel really.

That's not true. If you've got the right strategy they can easily be done with a team in the 70s..

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Haha oh my god chapter 4 The Grand Marshall grounding Edea is the funniest thing to me for some reason. She isn't in a dungeon she's in this big lavish bedroom and her punishment for killing more than half of his forces is "stay in your room and think about what you've done." :allears:

Also man Agnes, I've never heard a voice actor lose it quite like her when she's upset.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh man I just met DeRosa. You know you're in for a treat when even Ringabel is dumbstruck. :allears:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well, I'm going to have to resist the temptation to summon people in this game. I panicked a bit in the fight with the mage and monk right near the start and summoned somebody's Edea. She did 8000+ damage to both of them.

Also D's Journal is great even though I've only just got it. I like that Ringabel decides everybody probably likes him. And he has the best name ever for an amnesiac.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I'm level 32 and I still haven't gotten to chapter 2 yet. I'm playing on normal. Am I doing it wrong?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I'm level 32 and I still haven't gotten to chapter 2 yet. I'm playing on normal. Am I doing it wrong?

Yeah, you're a little overlevelled. I'm about halfway through Chapter 2 myself (as far as I can tell, at least), and my guys are barely level 30.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I just started Chapter 2 and I'm Level 20 or 21.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Hmm it just occured to me that I should turn off exp gain. I am... not used to these options in what feels like a classic jrpg.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

AlphaKeny1 posted:

There's no wrong way to play.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

McDragon posted:

Also D's Journal is great even though I've only just got it. I like that Ringabel decides everybody probably likes him. And he has the best name ever for an amnesiac.

If you watch the opening cutscene that introduces the four characters, Ringabel's voiceover tells you that it's a joke name other people gave him because he has amnesia.

"I'm Ringabel, or so they call me. I've no memory, you see. A bit cruel, eh? Still, humour's welcome when you haven't a clue to your past."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there any job that synergizes well with monk or should I just stop leveling it? I just beat chapter 2 and my Tiz has been monk since the moment I got it simply because everyone else covers most of the bases so far and I don't like doubling up on jobs unless I have to. But really I feel like he exists just to Moonbeam to buff my other phys attackers and punch people for "meh" damage.

• Locked thread