Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I think you should back it up, because it was my favorite part of the run. The only thing that I ever skipped past on the blind runs was the er runs from the monster. Watching you make fun of the puzzles was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedSynapse
Dec 31, 2012

Voted Most Purple Wizard
2007, 2009, 2011, and 2014
Gonna have to chime in and agree - the blind run got me to watch the LP in the first place and has a special (if silly) place in my heart.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Any opinions on BrokenGameboy's LPs for the Sonic games? Especially the Shadow the Hedgehog LP since one of my friends is the co-commentator.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Why wouldn't you ask your friend?

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Shadow the Hedgehog is probably my favorite entry in Broken Gameboy's sonic gamecube game extravaganza so I mean sure it's good.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I've never really gotten into the Fire Emblem series but I'd love to read one of the LPs. Which one should I pick based on a) quality of in-game story/gameplay; b) quality of commentary; c) LP dominance of game, a la the FF6 LPs in the archive?

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
Fire Emblem 7 (Blazing Sword) and Fire Emblem 9 (Path of Radiance) are generally agreed to have some of the best story/gameplay in the series respectively, and coincidentally those are the two LPs I would recommend you check out first. Artix and Fedule covered them extremely comprehensively, they both lead into sequel LPs (though technically Fedule did PoR after doing the sequel, it was complicated), and they both have hilarious and unexpected god units. If you like those two, go on to read their sequel LPs (Sword of Seals and Radiant Dawn), and then pick and choose from the remaining ones -- Genealogy of the Holy War was another great one and sets up context for Thracia 776.

xoFcitcrA
Feb 16, 2010

took the bread and the lamb spread
Lipstick Apathy
Since there are two new XCOM LPs on the forums, I figure there might be some interest in Zemalf, a Finnish Youtube LPer with a very slow, relaxed style and a pleasant voice. The reason I bring him up is that he recently finished a playthrough of the XCOM: Enemy Within expansion on Ironman Impossible mode without losing a single country, interceptor, mission, or soldier. On his first time playing through the expansion.*
It's quite slow-paced (the videos of that runthrough are around 50 hours), but he's pretty good at keeping things informative. I haven't made it through the whole playlist yet, but so far it's a really good insomnia LP.

*This is pretty much unheard of. He's very good, but he also gets super lucky.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

xoFcitcrA posted:

*This is pretty much unheard of. He's very good, but he also gets super lucky.

I remember when he was mentioned in the XCOM thread, way before the expansion was out; I took a look at some of his videos and yeah, he gets stupidly lucky sometimes. He takes a ton of risks that pan out, like taking 45% or 40% shots (which is a really, really bad idea on classic, let alone on impossible), and he... just nails them every time. I really don't want to say he's cheating, but I've had my rear end handed to me so many times on classic playing way more conservatively than he does that I can't help think something's funny when I see him play.

Also, he totally sounds like LP Bot. :colbert:

Tobias Grant
May 16, 2009

Lucky for you, I'm a dog lover.
EDIT: poo poo, Thought this was one of the XCOM threads. Sorry!

Tobias Grant fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 9, 2014

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Speaking of X-Com are there any good X-Com playthroughs with editing a la Beaglerush?

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Are Do It To It's LPs anywhere on the internet anymore? Blip seems to have deleted the account with all those videos.

Gotta Wear Shades
Jul 25, 2013

Learn to hoist a jack,
Learn to lay a track
Learn to pick and shovel too
And take my hammer, it'll do anything you tell it to

slev posted:

Are Do It To It's LPs anywhere on the internet anymore? Blip seems to have deleted the account with all those videos.

I'm pretty sure all of them are on the Internet Archive and have links to their respective pages on the LP Archive.

no_shit_columbo
Jul 26, 2013

I'm looking for humorous duo commentary LPs, much like Kyle and Keith (19letterslong and Somethingdumb?)

Does anybody have any recommendations?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

no_shit_columbo posted:

I'm looking for humorous duo commentary LPs, much like Kyle and Keith (19letterslong and Somethingdumb?)

Does anybody have any recommendations?
Mzbundifund and Bacter are a pretty humorous and informative duo who did an LP of a lesser known fantasy FPS called Amulets & Armor. RChimp and his crew are usually pretty funny, though if you only want him in a duo situation then I'd say to try his Resident Evil 5 LP. Also Dectilon and Phiggle do some pretty good funny and informative Megaman romhacks together, such as Rockman Exhaust and Minimum.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Gotta Wear Shades posted:

I'm pretty sure all of them are on the Internet Archive and have links to their respective pages on the LP Archive.

This is correct. You can find the link to the Internet Archive versions from each of their LP Archive pages. We were lucky to get everything moved over shortly before Blip brought the hammer down.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

DO IT TO IT posted:

This is correct. You can find the link to the Internet Archive versions from each of their LP Archive pages. We were lucky to get everything moved over shortly before Blip brought the hammer down.

Any chance that you and Don't Do It will finish jade Empire? It stinks those videos were lost on blip.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

So, the custscenes on the FF XIII-2 LP are all hosed up because copyright or something, the mirror is down and it's not on archive.org. I have a shameful need to find out what happens, so can anyone recommend a youtube LP or something? Reading wikipedia plot summaries just isn't the same.

PlatinumJukebox
Nov 14, 2011

Uh oh, I think someone just told Hunter what game he's in.
I've been looking into a few different LPers recently - Tipping Forties, DO IT TO IT, Spoiler Warning - but they've all got a lot of LPs under their belts. What are some good starting points for them?

Also watched the Freelance Astronauts New Super Mario Brothers LP for like the third time recently. I know they did a whole bunch of others, are there any highlights? I'm not sure anything can top NSMB though...

Worldwide Panther
Jul 20, 2010

Go see the stars!

PlatinumJukebox posted:

I've been looking into a few different LPers recently - Tipping Forties, DO IT TO IT, Spoiler Warning - but they've all got a lot of LPs under their belts. What are some good starting points for them?

Also watched the Freelance Astronauts New Super Mario Brothers LP for like the third time recently. I know they did a whole bunch of others, are there any highlights? I'm not sure anything can top NSMB though...

For the T40s, I think their best LP is Shenmue. I think it's the type of game that fits their style perfectly. FFX-2's later episodes are good because of just how angry they get at the game.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

PlatinumJukebox posted:

My favorite two Spoiler Warning LPs are Fallout 3 and New Vegas. They really hit their stride with the latter, while the former suffers from overly long episodes and no real clear stopping points.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Well, depends on what you mean by highlights.

If you're asking about which lps of theirs should be recommended, then Mass Effect, Zelda OoT, and Octodad are my favorites.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Also their experience of a Star Trek RP server is a thing of beauty.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

PlatinumJukebox posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDAAwX2pKXY

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

David D. Davidson posted:

Also their experience of a Star Trek RP server is a thing of beauty.

Everyone freaking out when Maxwell accidentally initiates a saucer separation sequence in mid-warp is just beautiful.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

MooCowlian posted:

So, the custscenes on the FF XIII-2 LP are all hosed up because copyright or something, the mirror is down and it's not on archive.org. I have a shameful need to find out what happens, so can anyone recommend a youtube LP or something? Reading wikipedia plot summaries just isn't the same.

This'll do fine if you just want the cutscenes. It seems to be missing the Sazh DLC, but if you've already reached the paradox video in KFJ's LP you probably already saw that.

The pretty much took every ending in the game and messed with the video for youtube, i don't think it was a copyright thing at all. The alternate video hosts were supposed to have the actual video in the, but I guess they're dead now. I suppose you could try getting in touch with them to see if the have any of the videos saved?

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

pichupal posted:

This'll do fine if you just want the cutscenes. It seems to be missing the Sazh DLC, but if you've already reached the paradox video in KFJ's LP you probably already saw that.

The pretty much took every ending in the game and messed with the video for youtube, i don't think it was a copyright thing at all. The alternate video hosts were supposed to have the actual video in the, but I guess they're dead now. I suppose you could try getting in touch with them to see if the have any of the videos saved?

You forgot to actually link the video/channel there.

And the butchered cutscenes on YouTube were for copyright; pretty sure they'd get flagged by Square. KFJ mentioned in the comments for his reupload of Shadow Complex on YouTube that his host was really poo poo, or started getting lovely, and he hasn't been able to find a good replacement.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

frozentreasure posted:

Whoops. Here it is.

Sorry about that. I didn't remember many XIII-2 videos getting flagged, but who knows if I remember.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

nine-gear crow posted:

Everyone freaking out when Maxwell accidentally initiates a saucer separation sequence in mid-warp is just beautiful.

Is there any sort of record of this?

E: \/ \/ \/ Oh grand! An old Maxwell Adams video I haven't seen. It's like christmas!

Teledahn fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Feb 11, 2014

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Teledahn posted:

Is there any sort of record of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwTCqqq9f0Y

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.

PlatinumJukebox posted:

For DO IT TO IT and Co. Ocarina of Time and any of the Resident Evils are a blast to watch.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

PlatinumJukebox posted:

For T40s, you really can't go wrong with any of them to start with - with two very, very big exceptions.

Avoid MGS4 and Scott Pilgrim like the goddamned plague.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Not the best quality, but I enjoyed FA's House of the Dead: Overkill LP.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Roar posted:

For T40s, you really can't go wrong with any of them to start with - with two very, very big exceptions.

Avoid MGS4 and Scott Pilgrim like the goddamned plague.

MGS4 is fine if you like superdrunk (like way drunker than most of their other stuff) guys yelling about nonsense cutscenes and kojima in general. it's not their best by a longshot, but I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

Your real best introduction to them is Tales Of Symphonia :getin:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Speaking of X-Com are there any good X-Com playthroughs with editing a la Beaglerush?

It isn't as good as Beaglerush as it lacks editing, but if you enjoy the commentators Unitlost's let's play is OK.

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

frozentreasure posted:

And the butchered cutscenes on YouTube were for copyright; pretty sure they'd get flagged by Square. KFJ mentioned in the comments for his reupload of Shadow Complex on YouTube that his host was really poo poo, or started getting lovely, and he hasn't been able to find a good replacement.
I had to butcher the FMVs for XIII-2 because many of the videos got straight up blocked if I didn't, so I started doing it to all of them. I know it's disorienting, but all the visual information is present... in some form.

And yeah, my hosting for discoshiny decided to essentially cut my service in half and impose impossible bandwidth limits and overage fees because they moved to a new platform or something I don't know.

Funny story about that, actually. When I contacted support to cancel my account (there was no easy cancel button), nothing happened for a day or so. I followed up on the status and a sales person contacted me asking why I had chosen to discontinue. I threw a bunch of math at them showing them a) how I was now paying the same amount for half the service and b) that my site literally could not subsist on limits present in the new "platform". They sent me a canned email almost immediately telling me my account had been closed.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

PlatinumJukebox posted:

Have you seen the Mass Effect LP? That one is the best IMHO - and it starts on a very strong note.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

steinrokkan posted:

Have you seen the Mass Effect LP? That one is the best IMHO - and it starts on a very strong note.

Which you should watch the Octodad video that was done for that LP (it gets bought up in the final few videos). Not only was it a great video, but the developers of Octodad liked it enough to reference them in the full retail sequel.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Wow, that's really cool of the Octodad guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
The supermarket in that game is chock full of references of people who helped make Octodad the cult hit it was prior to Dadliest Catch coming out. There's also references to TotalBiscuit and PewDiePie to balance out the awesomeness with some overwhelming lameness. But then there's also references to QWOP and the VGCW to make it awesome again.

• Locked thread