Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
I think the most important question is this: just how euphoric was the Emperor when he set out on the grand crusade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

JerryLee posted:

I think the most important question is this: just how euphoric was the Emperor when he set out on the grand crusade?

His Facebook status had to be no less that DETERMINED. or LIKED.

possibly even blessed

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Baron Bifford posted:

Actually, it went more like this:

Bjorn is the only guy in the Imperium who remembers the Emperor didn't want religion.

I got more of a Santa Claus vibe from that scene. Especially with the Fenrisian inquisitor being all "he's real :swoon:".

Shroud
May 11, 2009

FrozenDorf posted:

The Emperor did want religion, but he hid the fact. He tore down all the old gods and denied his own divinity because, when people gazed upon his majesty and realized he was a god of their own volition, they were all the more devoted for it.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Correct. What he failed to account for is that people always need something greater than themselves to believe in, whether it is a cause or a divine being. In his case, people believed more in the Emperor's divinity, rather than his cause.

Ok, which one of you is Lorgar?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Emperor learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature, and because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned too late for himself that men have to find their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And when men seek such perfection, they find only death... fire... loss... disillusionment... the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to the toil and misery, but it can't be given, it has to be achieved! There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Sharkie posted:

The Emperor learned almost too late that man is a feeling creature, and because of it, the greatest in the universe. He learned too late for himself that men have to find their own way, to make their own mistakes. There can't be any gift of perfection from outside ourselves. And when men seek such perfection, they find only death... fire... loss... disillusionment... the end of everything that's gone forward. Men have always sought an end to the toil and misery, but it can't be given, it has to be achieved! There is hope, but it has to come from inside, from man himself.

This is a synopsis of Kung Fu Panda

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

UncleSmoothie posted:

This is a synopsis of Kung Fu Panda

Oh god, now I'm imaging a panda in terminator armor giving that speech!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

jng2058 posted:

Oh god, now I'm imaging a panda in terminator armor giving that speech!

Among the many lessons of the Cursed Founding was that hybridizing Space Wolf and White Scar gene-seed should never be attempted.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Ardent Communist posted:

Even though I haven't read it yet, I imagine it went something like "I met the Emperor. The Emperor was a friend of mine. You sir, are no Emperor."

... that's actually not to far off from how it goes. that really is a fantastic scene.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Imagine what the Emprah would say if he could talk again.

Also, the problem about believing in god and poo poo is the warp's tendency to gently caress around with it, like in Ghostbusters, so if the Emprah wasn't so bend into secrecy and told the truth from the beginning about the true nature of the warp and it inhabitants, humankind (maybe) wouldn't be in such a mess.

In retrospect, getting punched in the face by Horus serves him right.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I've been wanting to read Inquisition War, and that excerpt pushed me over the edge. But am I going to learn all kinds of stuff that has been retconned into being invalid? I won't bother if so.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

mdemone posted:

I've been wanting to read Inquisition War, and that excerpt pushed me over the edge. But am I going to learn all kinds of stuff that has been retconned into being invalid? I won't bother if so.

40k continuity is intentionally uncertain at all times so honestly it doesn't matter and you should just go for whatever makes things the coolest or most fun.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

mdemone posted:

The Inquisition War is fun. It has everything. It has the Big E talking, it has assassins, it has hermaphrodite demons loving people to death, it has squats, it has Space Marines wandering in the webway, it has ghosts, and much much more. Read it. It's old. Not everything is still canon, but God is it a lot of fun.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Impaired Casing posted:

The Inquisition War is fun. It has everything. It has the Big E talking, it has assassins, it has hermaphrodite demons loving people to death, it has squats, it has Space Marines wandering in the webway, it has ghosts, and much much more. Read it. It's old. Not everything is still canon, but God is it a lot of fun.

All of which are now gone from 40k canon. :emo:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Except Assassins, which are still there.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Fair enough. I don't mind if some stuff is out of the canon by now, just as long as the Emperor isn't running a machine shop in Terre Haute or something.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

hopterque posted:

You know the Chaos Gods were lying to Horus and crew, right? Like none of that was actually true, they just wanted Horus and his brothers to think they were betrayed.

I actually think it would be kind of cool if the Emperor was some sort of disowned Chaos God and some of what they told Horus was true.

As far as Bjorn, the Inquisitor says something about God-Emperor this or that. Bjorn then says "God-Emperor? Calling him a god is what started this mess in the first place.", setting the tone for the rest of his comments and leaving the Inquisitor thoroughly baffled. While it's a great passage, none of his comments surpass the one above.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,

mdemone posted:

Fair enough. I don't mind if some stuff is out of the canon by now, just as long as the Emperor isn't running a machine shop in Terre Haute or something.

Well, he could potentially be, they just have to let him die and he's back, good as new.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Let's be honest, if the Emperor really wanted his life support turned off he could almost certainly psychically compel someone to do it in some way, poo poo.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Fried Chicken posted:

... that's actually not to far off from how it goes. that really is a fantastic scene.

Just replace every instance of Emperor with All-Father...

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Vorenus posted:

I actually think it would be kind of cool if the Emperor was some sort of disowned Chaos God and some of what they told Horus was true.

As far as Bjorn, the Inquisitor says something about God-Emperor this or that. Bjorn then says "God-Emperor? Calling him a god is what started this mess in the first place.", setting the tone for the rest of his comments and leaving the Inquisitor thoroughly baffled. While it's a great passage, none of his comments surpass the one above.

We already know what the emperor is though. If the Horus series is canon anyway.

E: Is Cain set in 'modern' 40k times? 'Coz then Squats are probably still around.

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Feb 11, 2014

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Angry Lobster posted:

Imagine what the Emprah would say if he could talk again.

Also, the problem about believing in god and poo poo is the warp's tendency to gently caress around with it, like in Ghostbusters, so if the Emprah wasn't so bend into secrecy and told the truth from the beginning about the true nature of the warp and it inhabitants, humankind (maybe) wouldn't be in such a mess.

In retrospect, getting punched in the face by Horus serves him right.

this is loving great hahaha. thanks for this

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

hopterque posted:

Let's be honest, if the Emperor really wanted his life support turned off he could almost certainly psychically compel someone to do it in some way, poo poo.
The consequence of that would be opening a new wound in reality and allowing daemons to pour out onto Holy Terra because Magnus punched through the shielding of the webway killing mankinds brightest minds while they toiled to unlock the secrets of the webway, of which the Golden Throne is an entrance to that is only closed by the Emperors force of will and massive psychic ability.

Speaking of which are there any books that deal with the battle within the webway and the throne room? I remember reading some fluff about Space Marines, Custodes and Soroitas who first fought to contain it and than fell back into the throne room before the Big E finally closed the door.
:goonsay:

EvilMuppet posted:

We already know what the emperor is though. If the Horus series is canon anyway.

Can you source this, and what makes you say that?
:goonsay:

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Sure, if a random wikki I found through Google counts: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor_of_Mankind

It's under history and is in one of the recent Horus books but I forget which. I think it's originally much older fluff though.

e: He's also en Perpetual, which makes the throne rather amusing.

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 11, 2014

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Vorenus posted:

I'm kind of fond of "Oh, for... Not you as well."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

This was really way funnier then I thought it would be.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Impaired Casing posted:

It also has an Imperial Fists invading a Craftworld, an Imperial Fists captain that melted his skin off his hand so that he could scrimshaw his own bones and an Inquistor who had his memory wiped so that he could go through a rejuvenation process.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Waroduce posted:

Speaking of which are there any books that deal with the battle within the webway and the throne room? I remember reading some fluff about Space Marines, Custodes and Soroitas who first fought to contain it and than fell back into the throne room before the Big E finally closed the door.
A Thousand Sons by Graham McNeill covers Magnus loving up the Golden Throne.

EvilMuppet posted:

Perpetuals are one of the worst ideas of the Horus Heresy books.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Feb 11, 2014

Englishman alone
Nov 28, 2013
Book advice again. Are their any good books on life in the Impirium. As one of my favourite series was Enforcer I read a reasonably good amount of Abnett and ADB the last finished was Flight of the Eisenstine.
Also are their any decent books based on space warfare, rouge agents.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Where is that image of the Custodes in the Big E text to speech thing from? Is it actually a custodes?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Yeah, it's definitely a Custodes. I don't know where the image comes from, but it's clearly clipped from a picture showing the various forms of Custodes.

E: oh god I don't know how to un-attach this

MOD EDIT: I removed the attachment for breaking tables. Let that be a lesson to you!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Feb 11, 2014

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Where is that image of the Custodes in the Big E text to speech thing from? Is it actually a custodes?

Edit: beaten

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Yep, it's a custodes. I don't remember when they retconned them to be like this, with the golden armor, but their original appeareance in the Rogue Trader rulebook was pretty bizarre:

Also, if I recall correctly, they were described as superior to the astartes but less loyal, which is quite shocking considering they were the guardians of the Emperor and the imperial palace. Maybe they did that to make them ressemble the roman Praetorian Guard?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The last images I remember seeing of Custodes were all the weird shirtless ones, yeah, so I was confused.

How come GW spends so much money making different colors of loving Space Marines and these cool rear end guys get no model love?

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
It was explained In one of the prospero books that the custodes are supposed to be hardier and better warriors than astartes, but they don't share a brotherly bond. They fight for individual glory rather than for all custodes.

It has to do with astartes being mass production and custodes being individual made.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

EvilMuppet posted:

Sure, if a random wikki I found through Google counts: http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Emperor_of_Mankind

It's under history and is in one of the recent Horus books but I forget which. I think it's originally much older fluff though.

What Horus books are you talking about exactly? The ones where a bunch of lying extradimensional entities of pure evil from a place beyond sane conceptions of time and causality try to seduce Horus into betraying the Emperor? You're depending on them as your reliable source of history?

Also the term perpetual is itself quite ambiguous, and it's already clear that the Emperor is immortal considering he's millenia old and is commonly called 'The Immortal Emperor of Mankind." Whether this means he can reincarnate upon death is unknown, and nobody is willing to risk the complete destruction of humanity to find out.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 11, 2014

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

How come GW spends so much money making different colors of loving Space Marines and these cool rear end guys get no model love?
Because there tends to be very little call for fighting in the Imperial Throneroom in M41?

One Legged Cat
Aug 31, 2004

DAY I GOT COOKIE
I've always been fond of the idea that humanity's fervent worship of the Emperor might be adding to his power somehow. I mean, he tries to shut down religions and mythologies because belief in such things gives them power and identity in the warp. Just as Chaos has its cultists empowering the big 4 through various means of worship, I'd imagine that trillions and trillions of humans venerating and praying to The Emperor every moment, living and dying and toiling and fighting with His name on their lips every day for 10,000 years... well, might have had a bit of an effect on the ol' guy.

Liveware
Feb 5, 2014

Arquinsiel posted:

Because there tends to be very little call for fighting in the Imperial Throneroom in M41?

More accurately, because they enjoy making you buy overpriced greenstuff, inferior grade hobby tools, and already-developed kits (namely, SM, GK, and High Elves) in order to convert them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

Englishman alone posted:

Book advice again. Are their any good books on life in the Impirium. As one of my favourite series was Enforcer I read a reasonably good amount of Abnett and ADB the last finished was Flight of the Eisenstine.
Also are their any decent books based on space warfare, rouge agents.

Eisenhorn and Ravenor according to when I asked this question a few pages back.

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, but the ability to take them as a tiny secondary detachment in 30k would be neat - weren't they deployed during the Heresy shortly after their formation? I mean, there's GW images of them killing things on jetbikes and wearing Terminator armour and all that.

Noctis Horrendae fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 11, 2014